Survey

When you think of the three classic rpg classes (fighter, rogue, magic-user), who are the first characters you think of?

Other urls found in this thread:

storynory.com/2009/08/24/the-brave-little-tailor/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You are kind of influencing the samples by posting choices in OP.

>fighter
Conan

>rogue
Robinhood

>magic-user
Merlin

>fighter
Conan

>rogue
Zorro, Westley (Princess Bride) or similar dashing swashbucklers

>magic-user
Gandalf

Fafhrd.
The Gray Mouser.
Ningauble.

I guess I'm dating myself here.

> fighter
Lightning
> rogue
Lightning
> magic-user
Lightning

Who says the three types need to be separated?
I know FF-XIII was a bad game and Lightning has less personality than a rock, but I like her concept. Also, morphing gunblade FTW.

fun books. I read a lot of older fantasy works but I think most of us are influenced by our first instances for a particular stereotype. Then we evaluate and grade every other character to that standard.

Characters I have made for pen and paper games.

Well that or Conan, Zorro, and Galndalf.

>Fighter
Conan
>Rogue
literally any Defias
>Magic-User
some generic wizard looking guy. Blue robes, pointy hat with stars on it, beard.

Warrior: Korgoth of Barbaria
Rogue: Scrotus
Wizard: Specules

Can't argue with double dubs. Zorro also immediately comes to mind for a rogue.

>Fighter
King Arthur

>Rogue
Vivec

>Wizard
Merlin

>fighter
Bronn from GoT
>rogue
Jack Sparrow
>magic-user
Gandalf

Fuck Bronn is a really good one. One thing I appreciate about GoT is them having a wide variety of quality fighters.

>Fighter
I just think of a knight, really. When pressed further, I might say someone like King Arthur.

>Rogue
I think of the color Rouge, then I think of Bilbo Baggins.

>Magic User
Just think of a wizard, Gandalf, Dumbledore, or any of the one million mages I play in every videogame and tabletop.

AYEM AE SEHTI AE VEHK

guts is a barbarian you faggot

Guts uses crossbows and heavy armor faggot

lol are you retarded or something? anyone can use a crossbow its a fucking one shot gun essentially, giving your barbarian a ranged attack is always useful.

look at his fucking sword you mentally deficient titmouse.

literally just the ALMSIVI

Alma-warrior

Vehk-rogue

Sotha-Mage

holy shit I haven't watched mighty max in forever. I don't think I ever did see the pilot episode.

fighter I think of a picture of a knight from the second "the magic tree house" book,

rogue I think of Valeera Sanguinar from WoW/Hearthstone

Magic-User I think of Merlin from "The sword in the Stone"

Just a friendly reminder that thieves were not a class in the original 3 D&D booklets.

That said...
>Fighter
Hercules
>Thief
Arsene Lupin
>Magic-User
Jafar

>rogue
robin hood

>wizard
gandalf the grey

>fighter
maximus in gladiator

But muh Lorkhan

Wulfharth-Warrior

Hjalti-Rogue

Zurin-Mage

>Fighter
Yngling Half-Troll

>Rogue
Cassius Curio

>Magic-user
Fargoth

>Morphing Gunblade

Non-weeb here. What does that even mean?

Guys, chill out. I want it to be Friday, too, but this isn't /tgesg/.

a gun that turns into a sword is my guess.

Fighter: Gimli
Rogue: Ezio Auditore
Mage: I have yet to find a strictly 'Mage' or 'Wizard' character that I really like enough for them to stick, not even memeing about 'magic is for fags' but strict 85% magic users just don't interest me at all
Ranger: Aragorn
Druid: Malfurion

>Fighter
Conan
>Rogue
Han Solo
>Magic-User
Gandalf

>Fighting Man
Þórr
>Thief
Loki
>Magic-User
Óðinn

fighter:
Conan the Barbarian
Rogue:
Cugel the Clever
Wizard:
Gandalf the Grey

The three classics are Fight, Cleric, and Magic-user. Thief wasn't created until AD&D

Yea but for the most part whenever their is a trio of chatacters in a video game, story, etc. they most often fighter, rogue, rogue. Rogue is way more often used in pop-culture than cleric.

>fighter
Lancelot

>rogue
Gawain

>magic man
Merlin

>barbarian = oversized weapons, all other factors irrelevant

guts is a barbarian because he has berserker rage, but he uses way too much tech that a barbarian shouldn't have or enjoy using, and doesn't hate magic enough either.

Fighter
Pic related

Rogue
Same as Op

Wizard
Merlin

Forgot pic

> Fighter
Lancelot
> Rogue
Robin Hood
> Mage
Gandalf

>rogue
>not thief
die in a fire

False. Although the original 3 classes were fighter, cleric, and magic-user, thieves were added in the Greyhawk supplement for OD&D. They were also in B/X D&D, so they've been around for much longer than AD&D.

Who's your default paladin?

I'm pretty sure I remember it being a gun that turns into a sword. So like a bayonet I guess? lol

>Gandalf
>Gandalf
>Gandalf

>Fighter
Wrex from Mass Effect

>Rogue
Psuedolus from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

>Wizard
Gandalf from The Hobbit

A wizard! A wizard of the first order!
Glad I'm not the only one to watch that show

That mention to Assassin's Creed.
It's forgivable because Assassin's creed 2 was the best in the franchise, but the rest is just utter shit, including other stuff with Ezio

This a thousand times. Samurai Jack best lawful good.

Rogue, from X-men, because of her name.
Slayn from Record of Lodoss War
Conan the barbarian.

I had to think of examples that weren't the three you gave for the second two; very much a "don't think of an elephant," sort of thing.

If I wait a bit and go around the knee-jerk of Rogue, I the think of Jim Hawkins from Treasure Planet.

Warrior Hitler
Thief Jacob Rothschild
Mage Eichmann

>Fighter
Mad Martigan

>Rogue
This one Tailor from this old story my mother would read to me before bed. Can't remember the name, but its essentially some tailor who killed a bunch of flies at once, made a belt to brag about it, then proceeded to ruse his way into defeating a giant, saving a princess, and the like.

>Magic User
Gandalf, particularly the one from the 1977 Hobbit animation. Really one of my first experiences with the Fantasy genre growing up. I remember as a child how much I wished I could be as cool and foreboding as Gandalf

>Fighter
Conan

>Rogue
Aladdin

>Magic-User
Merlin

Excellent taste

>Fighter
Guts

>Rogue
Catwoman?

>Magic-user
Odin

>Paladin
Keldorn Firecam

Top to bottom: Rogue, Fighter, Magic-User.

What, you expected something that's not what everyone else was thinking?

>Gets in street fights
>assaults teachers
>refuses to pay for food
>steals stuff while in prison
>paladin
u wot?
Johnathan, Josuke (DiU, not Gappy), and Gyro are much better examples of paladins

Personally I don't like this archetype breakdown.

If you look at old-style fantasy books and their source material (mythology and legends), you will see they're hardly equal. The fighter dominates by a mile. The wizard is main character in rare cases, but mostly is either a supporting character, most likely some helper or mentor for the protagonist, or an antagonist. The rogue trope in a pure form is barely visible - even the Grey Mouser is as much a fighter as a rogue. Further, warrior-mage trope seems to be wildly popular, but in vast majority of cases this is warrior with some magic rather than wizard with some martial skill or evenly balanced case.

This breakdown is purely rooted in rpgs, or, being stricter, D&D and it's closest derivatives (well, it also adds divine magic to the grand scheme of things but this is also very artificial line of divergerence), and not in the source material.

Here's my take on this

Fighter - Richard "Rick" O'Connell (from "The Mummy" films)
Rogue - Indiana Jones
Magician - Gandalf
Cleric - Mozgus

storynory.com/2009/08/24/the-brave-little-tailor/

Rick O'Connell really was a fun protagonist.

I wish they had kept him slightly edgy, like he was early on in the first film.

>Rogue
Mulch Diggums from Artemis Foul. I don't necessarily think of that exact character, but the mental image I have for him always comes to mind, if that makes sense.

>Magic User
Merlin from Disney's The Sword and the Stone. Quintessential Wizard for me. The robes, the hat, how free and wise he is, it all fits.

>Fighter
Steiner from FF9. His clanky armor and internal conflict with his moral code always stuck with me. The first answer that came to mind is Conan the Cimmerian, but I think of him as being more like a Rogue

Eeh you did influence me now but anyway.

>fighter
Conan

>rogue
Subutai

>magic wielder
The asian magician from conan the barbarian

Conan the barbarian basically had the bet possible party.

>fighter
Master Chief or Doomguy, since those were my first science fiction AND my first shooter experiences, and they're both titans of murderous power. From a fantasy perspective, the main character from Swordbearer came to mind, even if I cannot remember the boy's name.

>rogue
Bilbo Baggins, since I read The Hobbit from a very young age and his career in thieving was one I had fun following.

>magic-user
One-Eye, Goblin, and Silent from The Black Company. It's impossible to think of one without thinking of the other.

>fighter
Exile

>rogue
Atton

>magic-user
Kriea

>Fighting Man
Conan now that I've read him. Lancelot before that (although before I read any King Arthur he was kind of merged with Galahad in my mind). Hercules and Samson too sometimes. A lot of action movie protagonists fit the bill.

>Thief
Aladdin is a big one, but he usually doesn't come to mind. I guess Batman would be a thief. When I have my thinking cap on, I get Altaiir (plus other assassin's creed protagonists) and Nathan Drake. Catwoman comes up at times too.

>Magic User
Merlin, Dumbledore, Gandalf.

There was even a "Supplement 1: Thief" pamphlet Gygax gave out before Greyhawk was written up. It is identical, but uses the original game's Hit Dice system.

Just look for all the General units in this game. That's my answer.

Fighter: Beowolf
Rogue: Han Solo even if he's in space
Mage: Gandalf, yeah

Really had trouble with Fighter though, damn

I remember seeing that pilot as a little user.

Holy shit Adult Swim dropped the ball by not signing that show up.

When did berserker = barbarian?
I remember when fighers rangers AND paladins could be berserkers and use rage.

>figher
Samwise Gamgee

>Rogue
Subotai

>Wizard
Mentok! THE MIND TAKER

>fighter
Basil Stag Hare

>Rogue
Basil Stag Hare

>Wizard
basilstaghare

Aragorn, Gandalf, and Samwise.

For urban fantasy, Michael Carpenter, Harry Dresden and Karrin Murphy.

Or Han, Luke and Leia.

For another throw of the dice

Carrot Ironfoundersson
Esmerelda Weatherwax/Mustrum Ridcully
Samuel Vimes

Please tell me you've read the books.

I like the cut of your jib.

>Willow

MAH NIGGA, MAH NIGGA!

>zedicus
My nigga.

Conan
Sinbad
Nobody, because there are no famous magic-using characters. If pressed I'd probably go with Rasputin

Guts is a Fighter/Rogue with Rage as a Special Ability from the Berserker Armor.

I did not even see that

>Fighter
Leonidas

>Rogue
Spike Spiegel

>Mage
That one wizard guy from big trouble in little china.

>Jonathan
Nigga noblebrighted so hard that he converted a hooligan into his squire. Best paladin.

I'm preeeeeeeeeeetty certain Link can be all three, but that's just me

Eh, he uses a small amount of magic sure, but just using tools doesn't make him a rogue.

>fighter
gimli, son of gloin

>magic-user
gandalf

>rogue
garrett from the Thief series

Fair enough.
It's... Really hard to pin Link down as a class in a D&D system, to be honest.
There's a number of different cases for Paladin, Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, and so on and so forth alike, but none of them really fit the bill as far as I can tell without a ridiculous amount of player wealth...
Which, to be fair, I guess Link DOES get a ridiculous amount of wealth during his journey.
But that's just not practical or realistic for real players at a tabletop.
I'unno.

I'd argue for rogue. He starts with d6 HP every game, uses a shortsword most of the time, is adept with ranged weapons, and uses magic items.

Fighter: Guts
Rogue: Garret
Wizard: Dr. Who