How badly handed were the Scions regarding their lore?

How badly handed were the Scions regarding their lore?

Their entire codex just seems like a how to paint book. Like each one is fight *INSERT XENOS/DAEMONS HERE* really good.
Though I like how the ones who fight eldar dress up as fucking necrons. I kind of wish that each scion regiment copied a real life special forces like how the base regiments copied armies.

Grimderp lore aside the scions have literally no notable main characters and no special shit for being the best soldier in the IG. I want shit like seedy Black ops shit and use experimental technology all the time maybe even more friendships with space marine chapters that arent the ultra marines.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8wKbM_8kWUo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I guess the problem derives from the fact they come from the same place as commissars, which are basically standardisation physically incarnate.

Special characters would be difficult as well for the same reason. They barely have more personality and individual thought than servitors, but they could have had a few named commissar characters in there I suppose.

As much as I love commissars we need more named regular guardsman/special force guardsmen.

If Lukas Bastoone wasnt already a Cadian he would have been a perfect character for the scions

No wait I just got a retarded idea.

Scions are fucking Star Wars Clone troopers

>Majority of them conditioned and trained for a majority of their lives
>Most just have numbers as names
>Superiors begin to notice that subjects with personality's are great for leader positions
>Essentially Tempestor Scions become ARC Troopers and have a little more free will

That mindwipe shit was unneeded

Awful, 100% grimderp nonsense. Best ignored like just about everything from the past few years.

Such a shame they wasted good designs

and I like the Turox.....with the wheel conversions

LEast we got this out of it.

meme magic sometimes

What could possibly go wrong?

I get the feeling that neither kasrkins nor warhawks got a mention.

It's just fucked tempestus is just the gothic name.

Regimental Storm troopers still exist kariskin and catachan Devils

Just think of scions as another schola with old school stormies still in the mix

i am okay with this

It could work but commissars executed a lot of people for stupid shit

The lore is that grimderp

So they're Alpha Legion cultists playing the long game?

Red herring. Nothing will happen to the Ultrasmurfs

Basically disregard everything about their lore except "raised from birth to be soldiers" and receive "pyscho therapy to be more merciless and fearless and generally unquestioning and incorruptible"

everything else is incredible stupid

I blame the fact that they only got a mini-dex. GW obviously barely wanted to change things up from how they already were, and wanted to push a new model line.

This.

I dunno. I think the Harlequin and Coven mini-dexs were fine if not good.

So basically ignore everything except what makes them most like Space Marines? That's even stupider than what GW shat out. They should be a bit more human, with more focus on them as being veterans rather than being raised for war. They're tin soldiers and glory boys who steal the IG's thunder and have a rivalry with them over it.

I really like the idea of having a Stormtroo- i'm sorry, TEMPESTUS SCIONS battalion whose recruits are all gleaned from Space Marine Washouts. Like they fail some sort of challenge or test (never knowing what they're testing for), and if they succeed the Space Marines take them, and if they fail the Scions take them and never tell them the challenge was actually winnable., so they thing the whole thing was one of those "no win" situations.

Besides, we also have the Death korps who fill the gap of regular humies who have little emotions and are fearless.

if you think about most of the threats Scions are used for, they aren't the kind of thing you want a regular untrained human mind going against. Raised from Birth can be ditched but I feel like pyschosurgery and indoctrination is necessary

Considering what Guardsmen are thrown up against without proper preparation, I think it's okay to have Stormtroopers ditch the pyschosurgery and indoctrination.

Inquisitorial Stormtroopers would be specially trained, but they're working for a secretive organization that will go up against the worst the galaxy has to offer. What will Stormtroopers go up against? Xenos, rebels, the odd heretic? They're an elite arm of the military, but they aren't Space Marines taking on threats no one else can. They're just attacking the spots the Imperial Guard won't work in, but Space Marines are too precious to spare for.

Guardsman are expected to win by attrition.

Inquisition Stormtroopers and Tempestus are distinct entities? That makes far more sense then.

I imagine that the Inquisition stormtroopers might be sourced from multiple places. Tempestus, Space Marine washouts, elite guard. Maybe even stuff like Hive gangers that the Inquisitor might be able to get some allegiance out of, or skitarii that are on loan.

If you can trust the Lexicanum:

>The Inquisition maintains a number of fortresses throughout the galaxy, both secret and known to the inhabitants of the Imperium. The Inquisitorial Storm Troopers have the duty to protect and provide security to these fortresses and the Inquisitorial Black Ships, they can also be called upon to assist an Inquisitor on active assignment. They are recruited from the Schola Progenium as well as certain families with a tradition of service to the Inquisition. Their training and equipment is equal to the Scions and Storm Troopers found throughout the Imperial Guard, furthermore they undergo rigorous purity and incorruptibility tests prior to their induction.

What I gather from that is that they're stormtroopers, with an extra amount of mind and soul protection training, and with duties that are more defensive in nature. Anything else would vary by Inquisitor and Ordo.

I can deal with it

I guess the only good thing scions got were the models

Turox With wheels goes from worst 40k vehicle to the best

>I could have been an angel.
I feel a mind scrubbing would be extra mandatory, lest they turn to darker promises of power.

Are the Alpha Legion are gonna order 66 the Ultramarines come end times?

Ill admit Scions have some good models

I wish they got more shit aisde from a command squad and a group of regular guys

Even if this leads to nothing, it's still pretty fucking awesome to see fluff of what are basically normal humans being told they're so badass that GW's pet chapter specifically requests their help.

Then again, they also have an identical color scheme to the Word Bearers....

Scion fluff is interesting but leaves you wanting more

>You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools

I honestly hope the scions don't get folded back into IG next edition. I want them to get a supplement this edition or get a VASTLY expanded Codex next edition because they seem interesting right now in the fluff, but are lacking models, units, and even formations. If you toss them a couple more models, then you could make them the "formation army" by padding out their codex with a shit ton of good formations to make up for their lack of models.

That have a shit Strike Force Alphic formations for kill team

>Retarded idea

You misspelled great.

"Brother Davius may I speak freely?"

"Proceed."

"You know how the traitor Alpha Legion has a hydra as their insignia?"

"Yes?"

"Well these Scions they are called the Alphic Hydras. And the Alpha Legion is known for its cowardly tricks and deception is it not? Should that not raise a few flags of warning?"

".... I'm sure all is well brother."

That sounds terrible. I hope they get GOOD formations. I think it'd be interesting to give them formations based on their different regiments like a Deltic Lion formation that gives them preferred enemy Nurgle and a couple other bonuses. Just spit balling here, but maybe allow them a special rule that allows them to make formations on the fly on the battlefield if they have the right reagents? I mean, their fluff is that they're super highly trained, right? It makes sense.

OYY VEY

Scions are actually VERY good in Kill Team well in my opinion GW rules they are alright but fucking Heralds of War rules they are amazing.
They need some more ground vehicles possibly bikes im just spit balling ideas but maybe a Chimera with wheels essentially making it a BPM

I don't think they should be a too heavily mechanized army. I think their transport is fine, but bikes could be interesting. They should be all around faster being able to reposition on the fly. More vehicles that move them around would be great.

Their Transport goes from the worst vehicle in 40k to one of the best if you put wheels on it.

But Scions getting bikes sound sick they already have a kind of German WW1 atheistic with the Tempestors having Pickelhaube helmets.

I remember reading somewhere is that their are versions of IG Drop pods so they could get that.

and they can get Valkyries so theirs that unless GW do some crazy shit and we get 40k helicopters

Tin soldier implies an unhuman element you don't get when they're just veteran guard. Those are grenadiers and are part of their home regiments

>Scion drop pods
>metal raining death
>Containing sqauds of hellguns,plasma guns, and meltas

It might be cool

I feel like Scions should get some crazy shit experimental weapon shit.

And lets just say someone found the Phosphex STC for them

>Imperial Guard Drop Pods

Why have I never heard of this before?

youtube.com/watch?v=8wKbM_8kWUo

Naw, they still have phosphex. Hell, they probably have lots of it sitting in storage. It's just that it's super-illegal to use it because it poisons the planets it's used on in a way that no other weapon even approaches.

>Brother Davius...are we the baddies?

They exist its just we never seen alot of mention for them

mindscrubbed and hypnoindoctrinated all the way up to LD8!

The Alpha legion HAS done this before...

ld7
Only sgts get 8
Which I think is kinda dumb
Its also just asking for that same i2 melee race memeposting

Huh so Stormtroppers exist alongside Scions then? I thought Scions were just name changed Stormtroopers. Neat I guess

A-fucking-men.
The Imperium already has a ton of soulless drones with no personality beyond their job. They didn't need more.

Well changing the name from Stromtroopers was as stupid as making the Guard 'Astra Militarum'.

they are the same, "Tempestus Scion" is high gothic for storm trooper

tempestus = tempest = storm
scio = soldier/trooper

I still dont understand how people think this they are still considered Imperial Guard and Storm Troopers its just not as catchy as Adeptus Astartes

Its part of GW's idiotic need to rename things for no reason.

That is why its so disliked.

It's not for no reason, it's for legal reasons

Brother Davius, Brother Unnamed, I can assure you that there is nothing suspicious or untoward about the Alphic Hydras. The Emperor praises your vigilance, please keep calm and continue following the Codex Astartes.

>with more focus on them as being veterans rather than being raised for war
Codex: imperial guard grenadier squads would be fucking stupid, because everything you'd want is handled by the standard codex already.

Stormtroopers have ALWAYS been orphan-turned-soldiers set apart from the regular planetary tithes in that they hail from no planet in particular, and are under the direct supervision of the munitorum. Removing that removes the thing that makes them unique.

I dunno sounds like an alright idea.

could you imagine Kreigers or Catachans in Scion gear.

Thought I doubt Catachans would wear the armor the tech would be nice though

>Their entire codex just seems like a how to paint book. Like each one is fight *INSERT XENOS/DAEMONS HERE* really good.

[Spoiler]Agreed[/Spoiler]

I'm going to be building a "fun" army with just these guys. Here's hoping they get a supplement or codex soon.

>I dunno sounds like an alright idea.
no, like

you can make an all grenadier army with the basic book

grenadiers (kasrkin, death korps, catachan devils) are literally just veterans, and the company command squad can get similar upgrades

kasrkins are equivalent to scions or stormtroops, not veterans

>kasrkins are equivalent to scions or stormtroops
Right. BS4, carapace, ap5 lasguns. Kasrkin couldn't deep-strike or infiltrate.

>not veterans
LITERALLY veterans, though you don't have to pay for ap5 on your flashlights anymore, and can now add in extra special weapons (and heavy flamers!).

dont their models represent the same stats in the game?

>pure coincidence, frater

things to give to the scion book

>Harakoni grav-gliders (would be cool for normal IG too)
>German-style motorbike dudes and/or death riders
>Drop Sentinels
>Snipers (CHRIS KYLE)
>missile launcher dudes that come with flakk for free
>the solar auxilia power axe dudes
>jump pack dudes
>sneaky dudes
>close combat jump pack sneaky dudes?!?!

They give Death Watch all that Crazy shit so I dont see the problem in giving some Scions the same

there are several notable commissars in the lore. Off the top of my head

>Yarrick
>Gaunt
>Cain

and there are several other less known ones, like the commissar NorK guarded for so long (he's the one who's hat you see on nork's vox pack in the new plastic kit) I'm absolutely blanking on his name but he's one of the only ones to ever watch over a catachans unit and not suffer an "accident".

On to characters for the stormtroopers, Bastogne really shouldve been their special character. Re fluff him a bit to say he was awarded a posting in a stormtrooper unit and bam, good to go. Plus he'd make a good character for kill team.

On an unrelated note, I am pissed they insist on every Guard Sargent having chainsword and laspistol, even stormtroopers, when almost every other faction can give their troopers regular rifles. And even when we get a brand new kit, they STILL insist on that shit. Stormtroopers didn't even used to be that way, they used to have the option for rifles on the sarge, or even regular bolters. It's not like we're space marines that can even fight up close, and on top of that, the lore talks about Sarge's with rifles ALL THE GODDAMN TIME. JUST GIVE ME GODDAMN LASGUNS On The SARGES SO I CAN HAVE NICE EVEN NUMBERS TO ROLL JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.

Colonel Greisis

Don't most Space Marine washouts become chapter serfs. I think I remember reading that those who fail the trials but aren't killed, which tends to be an achievement in and of itself, are deemed genetically incompatible but otherwise competent, or suffer a nonfatal/semi-crippling rejection during the implantation process are allowed to serve in noncombatant or auxiliary roles in the chapter.

Speaking of commissars, one really dumb thing about the Militarum Tempestus codex is how it establishes that commissars are so obsessively indoctrinated to the point where they follow orders blindly to the letter, no matter how ridiculous, and seem to kinda fit into the same mold of personality-lacking soldiers that the Scions are written as.

Which means that characters like Cain, Gaunt, and even Yarrick can't exist as they're written.

>On an unrelated note, I am pissed they insist on every Guard Sargent having chainsword and laspistol, even stormtroopers, when almost every other faction can give their troopers regular rifles. And even when we get a brand new kit, they STILL insist on that shit. Stormtroopers didn't even used to be that way, they used to have the option for rifles on the sarge, or even regular bolters. It's not like we're space marines that can even fight up close, and on top of that, the lore talks about Sarge's with rifles ALL THE GODDAMN TIME. JUST GIVE ME GODDAMN LASGUNS On The SARGES SO I CAN HAVE NICE EVEN NUMBERS TO ROLL JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.

I know your pain brother. This shit is infuriating.

I feel you man, even worse is the forgeworld guard regiments dont even come with pistols and melee weapons so you just have to fucking pretend the sergeant has a pistol.

Brother-Sargeant Serpentius is right. I myself have hand picked many of the young recruits from our most decorated allies, the Alphic Hydras, to become Astartes.

Besides, they're red, every initiate knows that those vile traitors in Alpha Legion wears blueish green. Red is like the complete opposite! Have you ever seen anyone evil in red? I mean look at our most holy brothers the Blood Angels! In fact just the other day I lent one of our venerated relics to the Blood Ravens!

When they're adults, they're human, alright? Veterans who compete with the Guard and make jokes at their expense, with plenty of banter between their own members. Not Krieger-level drones, raised and bred for war. I can't put into words how much I hate how every other faction is a bunch of personality-less drones.

This.

Hell they could even come up with some exclusive expensive heavy armored tank just for them to act as a bulkhead with a valkyrie landing pad and a bunch of plasma/volkite guns.

Or maybe some bezerk space marines type equivalents who are carryovers of the thunder warriors. Like Ogryn toughness but only 1 wound that don't die till the end of the controlling player's next turn, thanks to augmentics and inquisition donated augmentics. And they could have short ranged one shot demolition charge launchers or personal energy shields to assist in their specific focused role and "mission"

The Taurox might just be my least favorite transport aesthetically and my least favorite transport to put together. Holy shit. What a pain in the ass.

That one where space marines apparently recruited from their ranks was pretty dumb

put wheels on it and keep most of the bling off. Looks pretty cool compared to the lump of shit it comes as stock. Still don't get why any sane IG player would want one when a Chimera is cheaper (cash and pts), better armed, armored, has better transport capacity, and better rules. Not to mention it even has a lower profile and abilities like friggin amphibious movement and the ability to give orders from the hatch. There's literally no advantage a taurox has over the Chimera even with it being nerfed.

I just don't get what they were thinking. They have this awesome opportunity to give us a new vehicle, and of all the shit they pick, they decide to make that.

We had all these awesome artillery variants for the Basilisk. We had tank destroyer Russ variants like the thunderer. We even had background for regular old trucks or something like a Gorgon assault carrier to deploy large infantry units. Heck we could've even got the salamander with like two or three extra bits thrown onto literally any kit that has a Chimera hull.

But no, we got that abomination, shitty ogryn, and a redesign of stormtroopers that nobody asked for. Theyre not exactly bad concept wise but there was no reason to rewrite their background entirely and charge $33 for 5

The only reason I'm building them is because I like the idea behind the scions and I'm building an army of them. You can make fun of me now if you'd like.

I just figured the only reason you had one was because you essentially get it for free in the start collecting box. It's the only reason why I'll have one more than likely.

Let's be honest.

There's nothing best about a counts as MRAP.

I wonder how many Scions have drowned in those things.

Are you going to just let your Scions footslog? With 1k points I had about thirty-five of them, each getting its own Taurox (so 4)