Fucked over by a genie

I want a genie in my current campaign but there's one character that I know is going to wish for "world peace" how do I fuck him over without ending the world/campaign?

Give him a rock. "You wanted a piece of the world, yes? Sorry, no refunds on wishes~."

Genie vanishes briefly, then reappears. He tells you that he just helped broker a treaty to end the centuries-long secret war between our world and the Dark World. You wanted peace between the two worlds, not *within* them, right?

Alternatively, genie briefly negotiates peace treaties between all current warring groups in the world. I assume your player didn't ask for "everlasting world peace".

No one said that peace had to last, maybe the peace only exists because everyone is thrown into stasis, making a quest for the party.
Also you don't need a genie to have power of that scope to have a genie

The genie asks if the player really wants to kill everyone. Because killing everyone is the only way the genie can cause world peace.

Two possible reasons why the genie gives the warning:
- The genie isn't willing to screw over everyone that badly.
- The genie wants to live and/or still have later people making wishes. Which they can't if they are all permanently dead.

If the PC says yes, then the genie grants the wish and everyone instantly and permanently dies. Campaign over.
If the PC says no, he gets to make a different wish.

This, but a much bigger piece. Sent hurtling towards the planet. And now Bruce Willis must listen to Aerosmith and kill himself if the human race wants to survive.

1) The genie does bring world peace... on another world. The wisher didn't specify so the genie goes with the oldest planet in the solar system, a gas giant 8 AU out from the primary.

2) The genie brings world peace, but demons and devils carry on their manipulations and violence soon breaks out. A cycle of violence and revenge snowballs into wars.

3) Play fair and grant the wish, but show that world peace has its downsides. People begin to starve because they won't kill animals or plants, and are killed by predators that they won't defend themselves against. Criminals steal shit and no-one will punish them. Perverts are peeping on people or groping them in the street, and likewise face no punishment.

4) Play fair and grant the wish. Let them see cuddly scenes. Kids playing with a hydra, yelling happily as they slide down its big necks. Orcs and Dwarves having a booze festival. People turning swords into plowshares. But like in 2), have a malign force - a god or spirit of chaos with a cult of zealots - start up trouble again. You could combine this with 3) as well - things look initially good, and then the downsides reveal themselves, and then finally the chaotic spirit cult.

The genie decides to put the world at peace.
>Why would you ever put an omnipotent genie in your campaign you dingleberry?

I think a better question might be...

Why do you want to fuck over one of your players?

Genies are snealy little shits who make wishes go sour. Just because there is peace doesn't mean it will last. It could be peace for a day or a year. Or this peace could come about in a way that the player never intended, such as a tyrant unifying the whole world under his banner, resulting in a peace of sorts.

'World peace' is a setting killer. No conflict means no adventures. Adventurers either become tomb-raider types or settle down to run flour mills etc.

I feel like there are two legitimate options.

Option 1) The Genie just explains to him that the only way it could be accomplished is by removing sentient life from the world, then ask if he still wants his wish.

Option 2) the world is transformed into a totalitarian state ruled by angels with psychic powers that control people when they disobey. New campaign, same characters.

simple, the world becomes at peace for a time.

Big fucking monsters still do their thing
Hordes of orcs/goblins/whatever, become criminals and vagrants
instead of wars you have trade wars

War is only a tiny portion of what goes on in, for example, D&D.

In other settings, getting rid of war may be bad. If war ended in a rebellion era Star Wars campaign, its probably because the rebellion is wiped out.

No more conflict between governments/nations is not usually a campaign ender.

If the wish is unacceptable, just say "it can't be done" and give him another wish, or "it fizzles, no takebacks." That's a far cry from fucking over a player.

"Bad genie" bullshit is virtually always simply that: bullshit. As DM, the only reason you have for putting a willfully-misunderstanding-genie in your players' path is that you're an asshole who hates fun. Especially considering that a semi-competent player is going to word the wish in such a way that your "edgy" misinterpretation is going to lead to an IRL argument.

If he's desperate to screw over his player(s), he might want to reflect on why he's DMing in the first place.

I would only use "twisted wishes" as an excuse for an extremely evil and jaded sorcerer, devil, or what have you to start shit and hurt people and then attempt to blame the PC just to hurt his feelings.

I like this! Teleport the players a year into the future, where all of the world is utterly dominated by a horrible tyrant. Totally new campaign!

'World peace' generally means more than just nations not fighting, it means peace everywhere right down to the level of individual people. No more bar brawls, no more raping, no more road rage.

Idea: Genies are a class of spirit or elemental-kin that have the power to grant wishes that can usually have any effect desired within their pocket dimensions, often located conceptually within a focus object such as a lamp.

Commonly they use the power of the wish to grant themselves eternal comfort inside a private sex harem staffed by attractive servants.

The main way to contact a genie is to rub the outside of the lamp. This produces an infuriating racket and almost universally drives them to a state of rage. The genie normally grants the offender three wishes: eternal life, health and beauty as the newest resident within the harem demiplane.

Never heard that definition, especially since "world war," the presumable opposite, is just a substantial amount of the planet's nations going to war with each other, and not everyone in every country descending into a primitive rape-kill orgy.

You sound like the whiniest of bitch players.

>the only reason you have for putting a willfully-misunderstanding-genie in your players' path is that you're an asshole who hates fun

This is pure entitled player syndrome. It's easily turned right back at you too: if you're the kind of whinging bitch who flips out over a malicious genie misinterpreting a wish, you're an asshole who hates fun.

See? Anyone can do that. You're not clever or insightful, and you don't have an argument beyond "I don't like it, and I might make a fuss about it". My answer to that would be "deal with it, and if you can't, then leave."

And reminder that OP's question is all to counter a player who is likely to make a setting-ruining wish, so you don't have the moral high ground at all. You're just a stuck-up douchebag who thinks far too highly of himself.

Fuck off user. Your contributions are worthless.

Pull a monkeys paw/wish master on his ass. So he gets his wish, but it comes with a catch. And that gives you a new mission to do and have to basically tear down a utopia for the greater good since this utopia isn't all its cracked up to be and is really more dystopian in terms of free will and other stuff.

Genies come from Jinn and Jinn are usually complete dicks in their mythology.

>Never heard that definition

Your ignorance is none of my concern.

>hurr world war

Yeah, nice try. That's a weasely semantic argument at best, and based on a definition that applied specifically to the real world 20th century. World war is also a proper noun, as in "it's another world war". You can't talk about 'world peace' that way - e.g "there's a world peace going on right now, everything's great!". There's no reason they should be considered directly-proportionate opposite concepts.

Stop trying to be clever. You aren't.

Testy, testy.

>weaselly semantic argument

"Peace" is almost exclusively used as the absence of "war."

> You can't talk about 'world peace' that way - e.g "there's a world peace going on right now, everything's great!".

O visitor from the distant future, exactly how did people talk about world wars before there was one?

If it will mend your broken feelings, simply have the genie say, "Oh, I thought you meant the world AT peace."

> Watch Wishmaster.
> Make it a Djinn, not a Genie.

Easy.

Just make an Alladin-style restriction on the wishes where you can't change people's will, thus the only way to make true everlasting peace without removing free will from all living beings is if they were all dead.
Have the djinn explain this to the character as a sort of, is that your final answer, sort of confirmation.

I can tell that you've never actually run a game before. This is DM 101 stuff, here. You don't give your players the keys to the kingdom if you don't want your kingdom destroyed.

If you're dumb enough to give your players an omnipotent wish-granting genie, you deserve whatever you get, in-game and out.

>This is pure entitled player syndrome

Nah, giving a PC unlimited power so long as he defines it with enough legalese is not a good policy for an RPG, ever.

They did this recently in the Star Wars MMO: you get carbonited and then freed years later, where the bad guy rules.

>And reminder that OP's question is all to counter a player who is likely to make a setting-ruining wish, so you don't have the moral high ground at all.

The OP asks "how do I fuck him over".

Not how do you make a wish for world peace work in a game, or even how to counter it, but how to fuck him over. There's your intent, there's no fucking moral high ground there to be claimed.

Limit the power of the wish.

Now my first wish is pretty much always going to be the same thing. "I wish that you will not miss-grant or miss-interpret my wishes, purposefully or otherwise, instead granting them as I INTEND for them to be granted."

Wouldn't the predators and criminals be pacified too, and ergo starve? Druids would whine at the ecosystem being ruined.

Screw him up by teleporting him into the future where all humanity is dead and therefore there are no wars, thus...

>World peace.

It's a genie, not a god.
If the player gives a not too specifically worded wish with a "for" in it, like "I wish for peace in the world" or "I wish for world peace", he gets a Kommunist Manifesto titled "Peace in the World" or "World Peace" or something similar.
If its carefully worded and has no loopholes, the genie could just laugh and say that this is out of his depth.

>You want world peace? Sure
>The entire planet is at peace! There is no more war, crime is practically non-existent and all the world's peoples live together in harmony
>They're also united in their enslavement to the Dark Lord, who rules the world with an iron fist, changes the laws on a whim to appeal to the desires of himself and his inner circle and only prevents war by horribly destroying anyone who dares speak up against him
>Even rumors of your dissidence are enough to have yourself and your entire family immolated
>Have fun, champ!

World peace, but only because the world is ruled by the BBEG/Hell/Tyrannous Magocracy/Gay Space Commies.

>"I wish that you will not miss-grant or miss-interpret my wishes, purposefully or otherwise, instead granting them as I INTEND for them to be granted."

But I can still miss-interpret this one, right?

You become unable to make wishes.

One sided violence is not peace you dumb chink cartoon pĆ³ster.

>implying true peace can be acquired through any means other than assured mutual destruction or complete rule

I would interpret peace as no more warring nations, if a ruler is capable of removing any threats before they even start plotting war - that's peace

>The jinn questions you for eternity to get to the true meaning of your wish
>As you slowly lose your sanity you only wish for death
>jinn keeps questioning you

It quite literally is. Every nation is based on the state monopoloy on violence. It's just that in the asshole genie's scenario, that monopoly is unlimited and used on a whim.

>Entering anons magical realm in Tminus 3...2...1

"I wish for world peace!"
"It is done."
"So we can retire now?"
"Not quite. You now have a piece of the world under your feet or wherever else you touch the world. That piece is yours now, but only for as long as you remain in contact with it. Others may become hostile because of your claiming pieces of land as your own, no matter how small. You may rest easy, however, for your grave will always be yours and yours alone."

Meh, "genie fucks you over" is overdone to the point of snooze.

I do genies as genuinely grateful for freeing them from imprisonment and providing a wish to intent not just the letter, but with limited power, both in scope and variety.

The genie then proceeds to bugger off to do whatever he wants in the world. Which is not necessarily approved of by the PCs and they have to find and fight him.
There was a reason it was in a bottle, guys.

Make World Peace temporary. Just because there's World Peace doesn't mean it's permanent. There will always be someone who wants to fuck everything up.

Gaia finds inner peace, converts to Buddhism.

Genie creates super-powered magical army to subjugate the world and bring peace, under the assumption that either everyone unites to fight off the threat or get subjugated

Preface granting wishes with the warning that the wish must be within the genie's power to deliver or it is forfeit.

Answers to questions are wishes so when they ask if something g else is within t grnie's power, the genie can say, "Do you wish to know that information?"

If that guy pushes it, te genie need only say, "World peace? Sorry. No can do. Next!"

It should temper all of their requests so no one wishes for a +50 vorpal blade of always critting, too.

How about you don't fuck him over, and stop giving genies powers that exceed those of deities?

I like this one the best, preserves the campaign and removes an annoying character at the same time.

I don't see why you don't just have the genie say "no wishes for world peace, i'm chaotic or whatever"

Peace has two definitions. One the opposite of war, and Two the opposite of noise.

World peace equates to nothing producing any sound

There's nothing wrong with "even gods can't manage that, sonny, think of another one."