Not sure where to post this

My father taught me how to play poker when I was in kindergarten.
Recently I was teaching some friends to play and it was like they had never played a card game I was so frustrated but I didn't lose composure.
So we get the rules down pat and introduce chips just for fun. Until two of us had the same hand (pair of queens) and I had hearts, he had spades.
I explained to him that depending on the exact rules of where you're playing you either split the pot or the high suit (heart wins).
I then looked it up to show him I had won and found that spades beat hearts, which is not what I grew up with and I've played poker my whole life with dozens of people.

TL;DR
Rank the suits from highest to lowest, unfuck my shit up please

>Hearts
>Diamonds
>Clubs
>Spades

The only time the suit matters in poker is when someone gets a royal flush.

I've never had suit order matter unless it was in a specialty game with specific rules for that game on what suit beat what.

I most games I've played the same hand is just a split pot (assuming all kicker cards are the same as well).

You guys ever play a game called Neighbor? Worst shit ever I'm a caddy during the summer and all we fucking do is gamble.

I love craps though

>Ace of spades is the fanciest fucking card in the deck
>how could it not be the highest-value ace?
You played cards with idiots. This is standard across pretty much all card games, even if it's rarely invoked in poker.

>This is standard across pretty much all card games
No, it's really not.

Bridge (for bidding and scoring) and occasionally poker: spades, hearts, diamonds, clubs; 'notrump' ranks above all the suits

Preferans: hearts, diamonds, clubs, spades. Only used for bidding, and No Trump is considered higher than hearts.

Five Hundred: hearts, diamonds, clubs, spades (for bidding and scoring)

Ninety-nine: clubs, hearts, spades, diamonds (supposedly mnemonic as they have respectively 3, 2, 1, 0 lobes; see article for how this scoring is used)

Skat: clubs, spades, hearts, diamonds (for bidding and to determine which Jack beats which in play)

Big Two: spades, hearts, clubs, diamonds (Presidents and Arseholes reverses suit strength: hearts, diamonds, spades, clubs)

Teen patti: In the case where two players have flushes with cards of the same value, the winning hand is based on suit color as ranked by clubs, hearts, spades, diamonds.

Thirteen: Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs, Spades (in descending order).

>suits
>matter
They don't, at least either in classic hand poker, or in Texas Hold'em.
You split the pot when your hands are of the same value.

I assume your hands were ACTUALLY identical, because poker always prioritizes card value, even for extras. In that case, suits are irrelevant and you split the pot.

Also, there is no fixed suit strength. Most of the commonly played card games don't actually have a suit preference in the first place, but when they do, it depends entirely on the game.

Where would one play poker online without betting money or being unable to create closed lobbies?

If two players have the same hand, you go by the trash in the hand. So if one player has QQ987 and the other has QQ986, the one with the 7 wins.

I stick to pic related because spades only has one point, hearts have two blobs, clubs have 3 blobs and diamonds have four points.

Can't get simpler than this

Suit order matters in literally one card game and that's bridge.

My mind is blown. I always assumed club

Spades > Hearts > Diamonds > Clubs

Also maybe your dad hated black people so he taught his son master race hearts were better than those no-job havin spades.

I don't know about the other three but I'd assume the ace of spades beats the other 3 considering it's the special one out of the four.
I mean, it's the ace of spades, If you imagine an ace it's what you see. It's even got songs written about it.

This all damn day. You go by high card. Of course, of high cards are the same, then you finally go to suits, being...

>spade
>heart
>diamond
>club

I was taught hearts>clubs>diamonds>spades
But only for 5 card stud (and the 6 and 7 card variants). Nearly every other game spades was highest. And everyone I played cards with as a kid was taught the same.

Well, except that one kid from a single parent home but I think we can put that down to single mothers being shit in general

Fuck. I always thought it was Clubs

I was always taught Hearts>Diamonds>Clubs>Spades

This is what I am familiar with

Spade > Heart > Diamond > Club

Create an account on Pokerstars, you can play with monopoly money for as long as you want. Not sure about private lobbies though.

spades has 4 points and two "blobs"

Hearts = Clubs = Diamonds>>>>>> Spades

>t. /pol/

Suit hierarchy correct

For THEm this is correct, pots split, no suit hierarchy but for draw poker, if the hands are exact it would be the highest combo based on suit. This may be a house rule though and I would not have my problem splitting or losing as long as the rule was consistent .

For other games like bridge I believe there is a suit hierarchy, meaning a 4 clubs bid is less than a 4 diamonds etc.

When we used to play a game called trumps we just bid with numbers I think we added a certain number to the bid to determine how many "packs" were needed to win the game. Suits matter for the trump suit and the first played card in each round.