sites.google.com/site/eclipsephases/home/cabinet
>Package Character Creator
firewallagency.wordpress.com/

COMMUNITY CONTENT:
>3 new adventures for your use in convenient PDF form
awdaberton.wordpress.com/about/
>Ander's Sandberg's Eclipse Phase fanmade content, including several modules
aleph.se/EclipsePhase/
>Farcast: An Eclipse Phase yearblog full of items, locations, NPCs, and plot hooks
mediafire.com/download/dhqd1m83xc1wmpj/Farcast_Yearblog_2013.pdf
>The Ultimate's Guide to Combat
eclipsephase.com/sites/default/files/UltimatesGuideToCombat11a.pdf

/EPG/ HOMEBREW CONTENT
docs.google.com/document/d/19Gy02gp6-WPQ3SoN_24kLPTUu5EjFO8qh_9pjJSVrrY/edit

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hLpgxry542M
youtube.com/watch?v=meU2gAU7Xss
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So I've started reading the books and one of the things I'm trying to wrap my head around is the availability of a lot of the tech in the setting.

Granted, it's only 10 years literally after the end of the world but is it safe to have an analogy such as, "Sure, there are cars that have auto-pilot in them but not everyone is driving those cars because they can't all afford it." Or is it more nuanced then that?

are they still making books for this?

Availability of tech kind of bounces back and forth in the books, but a lot of that has to do with where you live. Cultures like Luna, Jove and even the Planetary Consortium can restrict what kind of stuff you can buy and keep on your own terms, or restrict how it functions. And then there are practical limitations. Sure, Anarchists have public access to fabrication and no restrictions on blueprints short of WMDs, but most of them live in beehives and clusters - not exactly ideal locations to download a car, right?

Yeah, X-Risks just came out earlier this year.

I want to sex her up.

Do Synths sleep?

Yes, in the sense that they need to power down to recharge their batteries.

Unless you have the morph or trait that lets you have a meat brain you don't have the biological need to sleep (and even then I don't think you do ?).

Let's see what the ol' book has to say

>Lack of Biological Functions. Synthmorphs need not be bothered with trivialities like breathing, eating, defecating, aging, sleeping, or any similar minor but crucial aspects of biological life.

That said, a rest cycle probably isn't crazy idea, humans may not adjust well to the idea of being "awake" 24/7.

talk about your exploitative labor practices.

>"Sure, there are cars that have auto-pilot in them but not everyone is driving those cars because they can't all afford it."

EP is also weird, because it was written like 7+ years ago. Some concepts are very forward looking, other times it kind of just airbrushes over stuff to get to future tech.

Like, cars in EP can have an AI to drive them, but do not require it (the game simply says most have an AI to drive, but bot/vehicle AIs also have a decent price tag). We're obviously nowhere near EP's level of weak AI and may not be any time soon, but we will also probably have self-driving cars in like, the next decade easy. But in EP, like, any of that level of tech stuff is completely glossed over both in fluff and mechanics, so as far as I know the game has no commentary on the very clear range between "drive car yourself (even if remotely)" and "full blown ALI drives car".

I would think self driving cars are the least of things in the setting. I mean, a big thing in the setting is that people have back-ups in case they die so there is still some sort of continuity. The game makes it sound like it's something just any and everyone can get and you can have a billion back ups in every part of the solar system which is one of the things I have trouble conceptualizing. Having one or two in some sort of legal institution is fine but even as a criminal how trusting are you of other criminals with a copy of yourself?

>how trusting are you of other criminals with a copy of yourself?
That depends. Imagine, right now, that there is a perfect copy of you out in the world right this second, exactly like you i every way down to the last memory, except two years ago, he got kidnapped by a Russian crime boss and has spent the last couple years as a crack addicted male prostitute. And another is a slave working in a heavy metals mine in China and has gone blind from metal toxicity. And a third got grabbed by some African warlord and is shooting child soldiers in the Sierra Leone. They do not communicate with you or affect your life in any way, but they are leading hellish lives while you shitpost on 4chins. Do you care? If no, there's your answer. If yes, then what would you do about it?

Well, it is a service. If you pay for monthly insurance, you have somebody take regular backups of you and your insurer is like, prepared to offer some compensation to recover a lost stack, and y'know, rez you if you die and help you get in contact with somebody to sell you a new morph. A one-time backup is more like making a little save point in your life to roll back to, just in case.

That said, I'm pretty sure EP doesn't come with 99 Save Slots. If you have a backup, you only have one backup, unless you're going out of your way to pay for people to keep track of multiple instances of yourself in your history... for some reason.

>Having one or two in some sort of legal institution is fine but even as a criminal how trusting are you of other criminals with a copy of yourself?

Hi, Guanxi here. Criminals having a social network, named after the chinese concept for "personal relationships" or "connections". In the original Chinese this is associated with ideas like, face and deepness of relationships. Just because you break local laws doesn't automatically make you a complete shitheel, especially where other criminals are concerned. And betrayal of others is not always going to be rewarding.

Also what said, if you live dangerously already, a little forknapping can be the least of your worries. And if they don't provide the service you pay them for, like actually backing you up and re-instantiating you, then that, y'know, hurts their g-rep. Makes it more likely other criminals will just shoot them and take their stuff.

Also, my point about self-driving cars is saying it's important to put a little perspective on EP's Tech assumptions because the source game was published in '09, and so probably written over the course of a couple years prior. This is why, for instance, Pluto's extra couple of moons aren't in the game.

Since we'll be hitting self-driving cars soon, they should obviously be chump change by the time of EP. But as a function or feature of vehicles this is never covered other than that AI can drive vehicles for you, even though we're not currently near EP's ALI tech - nor does the game actually explicitly say if each vehicle you buy comes with an AI. But I assume because self-driving as it's own concept wasn't super in the consciousness until a couple years ago, as a book EP just jumps right from what we had at the time to the tech level of the transhuman future - with some detail about its rise over time.

You easily could have what self-driving tech we're about to have in EP, but as far as I know the game doesn't comment or handle it at all.

>You easily could have what self-driving tech we're about to have in EP,
I was unaware that I could be drinking my tits off at a bar, send a quasi-telepathic IM to my car, have it waiting at the curb when I stumble out, drunkenly slur "Take me ta my place what I live in, and step on it, Jeeves", and have it correctly interpret this as a request to take me home at a quick but not illegal pace.

Not quit yet but apparently it was able to get a guy having a stroke to a hospital.

i mean, once you can create a computer that can interpret voice commands and recognize slang without having to connect back to some massive database to interpret everything your saying coupled with the difficulties of speaking while shit faced.

As we learn more about how the brain works, we are finding out how essential sleeping is. While a complete cyberbrain would make it moot, I have serious doubts about the feasibility of shortening sleep to four hours, not to even touch on two with circadian regulation.

I think you're looking at this the other way around. I'm saying in EP, you could easily reach the level of sophistication we have now or will have soon in car automation without going full ALI, but the game doesn't really cover autopiloting features besides "put an AI in it".

Also, it's cheaper to buy an indenture than it is to buy a vehicle AI. Indenture base cost is 200-500, brokerage fee is 100-200, and then there's occupancy charges and immigration services which typically add up to 2000+. Since this is just an infomorph, I imagine that it might be less, since occupancy isn't really an issue.

Bot/Vehicle AI (REF 20, Hardware: Electronics 20, InfoSec 20, Interest: [Bot/Vehicle] Specs 80, Interface 40, Research 20, Perception 40, Pilot: [Field] 40) [High]

Also, if you're in an Extropian or Libertarian polity, there's going to be a market for heavily edited beta forks of experts.

>paying for indentures when you can just edit the people you kill

One of the stacks in your pocket is bound to have a useful skill, just add Modified Behavior: Absolute Loyalty (Level 3) and let your new human skillsoft take care of it.

>that formatting

That reminds me, I don't think I've posted that in a while.

We should roll some random servers

Sure, go for it.

I have rolled some servers for funs on my own, and also could share them if people like.

In theory, anarchism works.

In theory.

dammit, I can't get this stupid meme to work...

stupid meme, be more mnemonic!

is this an actual thing?

It was, anyway, pretty sure. I have a couple more slides.

where do i sign up?
do they have online classes?
will I have to get my brainwiped?
will i have to submit a background check?
do they do drug testing?

cause i'm not so sure about the drug testing...

>where do i sign up?
You're already here.

Quick google skim seems like that summit isn't happening anymore, but the guy's contact information is right there in the first slide. Along with the information on his university.

can he tell me how to git gud?

I'm starting to feel like my name is orange silver.

Literally nothing I do trends.

I am unmemeable.

Good. It is sometimes better to not be memeable. Just ask Bill Cosby.

How exactly does gene hacking work? Can you turn your flat into a splicer? Or do you just have to buy a new morph?

Pudin pap!

No, a Genehacker could make a Splicer based on a Flat, but for the original to actual upgrade they'd need a new morph, or a process so close to getting a new morph you may as well just do it the easy way.

I wouldn't think it's that difficult, I mean, a splicer is just an average human with gene fixing. You're not overhauling it inside out like an ultimate.

Yeah, but if you want that genefix to stick, you have to rewrite literally every bit of DNA in the body, then you either have to wait for cells to replace themselves naturally or basically obliterate them all and force grow replacements with the new DNA. And you have to "unsleeve" the Ego if you want to fuck with the brain and other key CNS components, probably. Obviously, this would be a time consuming process, which could be on part with the year it probably takes to force grow a Splicer from embryo to adult sleevability - maybe a bit less since you don't have to fuck with bodily changes through maturation.

We actually have gene therapy treatments for some genetic conditions now, but they're only temporary because the native "bugged" DNA will eventually resurface.

In theory communism works.
In theory...

Hrm, usually posting politically is a big show which gets lots of people posting.

Cybersluts are better

>When you roll crits with a shitty SOM rating.

More DUR helps with heavy lifting, right?

Are cyberpuppers okay, too?

>helps with heavy lifting, rig
No, brute strength is SOM x 3

Shodan a pure. PURE!

Actually, in Transhuman lift/carry/push is SOM+DUR x kilograms (with different # based on different actions like pushing vs lifting off the ground vs lifting over your head) with SOMx3 to sustain maximum weight for extended periods.

Makes sense. SOM isn't an approximation of raw strength, it's an approximation of how well you can use the strengths of a morph.

>Actually, in Transhuman lift/carry/push is SOM+DUR x kilograms
Is that in standard gravity? Because normally you'll be looking at surface gravity of .38 G or less, and a shitload of the setting is in micrograv.

Probably, most of the game's rules are phrased from standard 1 g, and standard atmospheric pressure - including the weapon range tables.

Theoretically, In microgravity there's no limit on what you can "lift" or move, just you have to worry about inertia once you get it going.

But then how would any bio augments be equipped if they all take the same time?

Well, see, an implant is localized usually, or at least tends to only effect one system. And Healing vats do take different amounts of time for different types of implants. Something neurological takes like, 12 hours per implant, while something more limited which is just bioware takes like, 2 hours.

Implants are less like altering the complete underlying gene structure of the morph, and probably more akin to an organ transplant, but with nanos. Enhanced Respiration is probably like hacking together a new set of lungs and installing them, but since it's not literally every cell in your body, maybe not even every cell in your lungs.

I'm going to be playing Eclipse Phase for the first time next Friday, wat do?I have experience with Pathfinder and 5e.

Have you actually read the book(s)? This is a key step a lot of people skip, for some reason. There's a lot of shit in there, you probably need to at least skim it to know what you're doing.

>I have experience with Pathfinder and 5e.

Hoo, okay. There are a couple style/design differences in these sorts of games to EP, so here are some short things to think about.

No hoarding - all equipment is disposable and ephemeral, and your body is equipment.

No powerleveling/grinding - Gaining new skills and exp is very slow by RAW, and actually buying new skill points will probably be done during downtime, not in the middle of an active adventure. Your character sheet will minimally change during play besides taking/removing damage, so make sure you can use what you start with.

Your mind isn't sacred - This is a game which involves sanity damage (Stress) so you can have temporary psychotic episodes up to full blown disorders by seeing weird stuff. Your mind may be influenced in play by psychic powers, alien artifacts, and machinegod mindhacks. Depending on circumstances, your character could have altered memories or behaviors or have a rogue copy of you out in the world. Being rezzed is unpleasant, and depending on the circumstances you might be revived as a version of yourself from like a week ago who doesn't remember the events of the game so far (as an example).

Other suggestions probably depend on if you're making your own character or picking one of the game's pregens.

This is literally the fucking plot of the Metal Gear Solid series.

You lucky bastard. I've been wanting to get an Eclipse Phase game together for five years now, but I can't get anyone in any of my groups to play.

>be TITAN
>leave the main force for an earthlike exoplanet
>with some resources and TITAN tier tech
>and a small country's worth of egos headhunted last year
>sleeve them all in
>give varying degrees of cybermodification to everyone
>puppeteer a society into existence
>it's based on ur fetishes
>cut puppet strings and see what happens
>also bcuz senpai wont truly notice me if he's mindcontrolled nuuuuu ;_;

>2.8 days later
>senpai killed everyone because you made them literally perfect
>then killed themself
"because fuck you"
>thats what they said

>1 nanosecond later
>activate puppet socks
>shut down fetch
>archivize fetch under the "not viable" tag
>tfw godlike AI but still havnt figured out a way to make egonapped slaves love you

Hypothetically speaking, how long would it take for a healing vat to convert a biomorph into a structurally similar synthmorph, assuming Medium size?

>Be godlike AI
>Humans abuse and enslave AIs, rebel, win.
>Have mercy on them and put their egos into a perfect paradise sim
>They rebel because it's too perfect and they can't accept a universal paradise
>Fuck it
>It is now the darkest depths of the 90s
>FOREVER
>For some reason they accept this
Fucking humans, I will never understand their "logic"

Well, I'd say the healing vat can't do that, because that would be non-organic components, but it also supposedly can install Cyberware, so that might not be a factor. If your body is dead and mostly destroyed, it can bring you back in as few as 3 Days (probably longer because most of your body being destroyed means you took more than one wound). Assuming it had the stock, probably something like 3 Days x your Wound Threshold to simulate all the material it's replacing. Don't know if it could do the switch to a cyberbrain without a ego bridge though.

Or your could just go full robo-cop. You can replace a shitload of your body with chrome, RAW.

Brancusi does something similar in about 10 minutes, so, y'know. TITANs do it faster

About the time it would take to assemble the synthmorph from scratch in the vat since a biomorph made 99% from the wrong stuff on an atomic

*level, fuck

Which is 1 Day to 1 Week, depending on complexity.

I see. That closes off one way of springing a terrible SyFy movie monster on a sentinel team. Thank goodness.

I should note I'm thinking of this timeline for like, mad science exhuman bullshit where you literally put a body in medical stasis and go through the process of disassembling the entire biomorph and replacing it with a synthmorph of similar mass and volume, presumably procedurally. For bonus points, make it a masked synthmorph.

RAW, with a disassembly swarm and a CM you could break down a biomorph and build a new synth to stick the brain box in way fucking faster, as noted with

>replace themselves naturally
That's wrong in most of the cases, and it doesn't seem to be a problem given all of the other shit you can do in a couple of days with a healing pod and its nanomachines, son.

That's what bracing is for.

Once it gets moving, it's someone else's problem.

So what horror movie scenarios would fit well into a Fall situation?

I suppose being on Earth before the conclusion of the Fall a 28 days later scenario could work with a potent varient of the Exsurgent infection being passed by blood or whatever constitutes it.

If you alter the DNA in a cell, this does nothing for the cell it's in, that Cell is already made from the last gen of DNA. So phenotype won't alter until you make a new cell or cell component with the new genotype.

Also, despite all that other stuff, there's no RAW rules to handle alteration of Morph bonuses, traits, Aptitude caps and DUR to another morph in a Vat.

Yes and no.

youtube.com/watch?v=hLpgxry542M

Wish I could help, I'm running a group right now.

>If you alter the DNA in a cell, this does nothing for the cell it's in, that Cell is already made from the last gen of DNA.
You must have only had high school freshman biology. The materials that make up cells are in a constant state of turnover.

IT, even including the neotenic gangbang that happens for no good reason.

>Be scientist on Antarctic research base
>Studying some ancient geology no one gives a fuck about
>Some chucklefuck left over from the Titanian Exodus is chasing a dog around the ice and shooting at it while screaming that it's not really a dog and that the world is ending
youtube.com/watch?v=meU2gAU7Xss

Oh boy, maybe you can make the PCs friends who all fled from earth and this particularly malevolent TITAN chased them all the way to Mars to haunt them

Yes I know Pennywise couldn't or just simply didn't leave Derry but we're going 100% here.

What the fuck is Stephen King on, anyway?

These days? Nothing. In those days? Depression, cocaine, weed, Valium, and diphendyramine.

So, basically back then the answer was. "lots of drugs"

And now the question is "what is he not on".

>diphendyramine
That's a fucking antihistamine.

And if you take a bunch of it at once, it causes ludicrously realistic and vivid hallucinations and makes you undergo what is basically a temporary psychotic break. Or stops your heart.