/dcg/ Dropzone/Dropfleet Commander General

On The Runway edition

Previous Thread: >Hawk Wagame's website, with links to models, rules, and forums
hawkwargames.com/

>DZC rules, units, errata, etc
mediafire.com/folder/3e69ovwksc27r/DZC#3e69ovwksc27r

>Phase 2 units
mediafire.com/download/hjxrk1f2i0fv283/Phase2_units.pdf

>Phase 2 fluff
mediafire.com/download/novaydro2mxo074/Phase2-fluff.pdf

>free DZC army builder
dzc-ffor.com/

>dropfleet preorder, showing prices and lotsa pics
waylandgames.co.uk/3951-dropfleet-commander

>DFC Kickstarter, lots of useful information to drudge through
kickstarter.com/projects/hawkwargames/dropfleet-commander

Reminder to ignore bait, unless it is masterfully crafted.

Polls:
strawpoll.me/11160746
strawpoll.me/11149934
strawpoll.me/11151165

Initial topic of the thread: What currently unviable strategy or unit would you like to see come back into the competitive meta?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rrys7lxyatk)
youtube.com/watch?v=8eoNa-NiYqA
strawpoll.me/11185720
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I want to see standard tanks make a come back. Right now Sabers, Type-1s, Hunters, Hannibals are on the back burner. Big bricks of those would be fun again.

Well scourge tanks are definitely coming back into style with the overseer. That could cause Ares to come back in style, considering they still hit hunters and slayers on a 3+. We might, by an extension, see Gladius's come into style. We probably won't see many hannibals since they're heavy choices though.

>What currently unviable strategy or unit would you like to see come back into the competitive meta?
Personally, Bricktari. The leopard+dreamsnare is a dream come true.

>initial topic
Taking ground APCs. Like, at all. Currently it just costs your extra points (because the APC need a transport as well) for no major benefit. Some of them have nice models but there just seems no reason to use the buggers compared to a faster, cheaper aircraft.

Also, semi-related, taking infantry that isn't A4, resistant to masonry, with dodge, and a high CQC value. I know not every faction can tick all those boxes, but it feels like too many can, or that those units are too easy to spam. Maybe APC+dropship being on a par points-wise with a troop transport dropship might tempt people to take more normal infantry, I dunno. Or maybe they should consider handing Rare status out on a few more things/limited Exotic slots a bit more.

It would be cool if you could entrench light infantry. Like if they don't move or do anything they dig in and increase their resistance and cover by 1 point. So then they could go to the wall and have plus 1 to damage and plus 1 for falling masonry.

I'd have APCs provide medivac or whatever. Gives infantry a 6+ save, at all times if it's parked near the building, provided you won the CQB or survived shooting.

Phobos get used for anti-air purposes.

They need a special rule.
"Mainstay": dropships transporting these units are reduced to half cost, or something.

I was thinking something similar. Like if the required slots (the 1 standard, 1 troop) you get a discount if it is X unit.

I think what they've done with the Ares is quite neat. With its accuracy never being made worse than -1, it's still kind of useful in an age of E countermeasure stuff. The odin's probably still better (though I haven't cranked the numbers) but the ares isn't completely useless.

I think stuff like that, or the hunter's overseer bonus, is the way to go. Just something to induce people to take more than the bare minimum of stuff.

Or, have them count double on focal points.

Make objective searching less efficient, necessitating more infantry at cost?

I would take ares if they were symetrical. I take Phobos because they're mandatory

>I would take ares if they were symetrical.

Same. I just do not like the look of the Ares, whereas the Odin is one sexy, sexy beast.

/dcg/, my DzC starter set comes in the mail on Saturday and Hobby Lobby is all gay and is closed on Sundays, so I need to make a list of shit to pick up. I have absolutely no supplies right now. I'm wanting to do something like a panzer grey color scheme.
-Hobby knife
-A shitton of magnets so I can dick around and try that (looking at youtube.com/watch?v=rrys7lxyatk)
-A little hobby hand drill for magnety purposes
-Some kind of undercoat? White?
-Panzer grey vallejo paint
-A lighter grey for drybrushing?
-Some kind of black, white, or yellow to paint over the magnets
-Maybe some other color(s) for highlighting other bits on the models. Suggestions?
I'm sure I'm missing shit.

Oh, I forgot to add some kind of black wash. Vallejo's if they have it or else I'll have to go find some nuln oil.

Army Painter's Dark Tone is a good one.

Pure grey may be a bit dull, a red for any optics etc. could make the models more interesting. You'll probably want a metallic colour for gun barrels etc. as well (I'm assuming you're doing the UCM out of the starter given the grey scheme).

Might want to pick up a metallic grey for exposed wiring or gun mounts. Also do you have brushes you're planning to picj up? Also also, which starter set? Painting Scourge is a bit different from UCM or PHR.

Ah, right, I forgot metallic for the guns. I knew I was forgetting something. And I'm trying to figure out if I should just go with red for the optic bits or what. I guess so. I did leave out that I'm picking up a few basic brushes.
Also, I got the 2-player starter set, but I'm only planning on painting the UCM for now.

Maybe a simple black for treads as well then?

Is it me or is the guy's voice in that video kinda creepy?

Ah! Another simple thing I forgot, thanks.

With that you seem fine. Metallic paint, basecoat, detail coating for the treads, sensors and all that. Primer, magnets, hobby knives, you have clippers for getting the models off their sprues?

>scrubs not taking a model because muh symmetry

Asymmetrical mechs have always looked better.

I think I have some dykes and nail clippers around somewhere. Are dedicated sprue clippers really that good?

You can get some side clippers for like 5 bucks. They are worth it over nail clippers.

I don't even mind asymmetry as a rule, the type 1 walkers just look awful compared to all the other walkers. I wish PHR had some other standard choice

Forgot a med flesh tone for legionnaires.

Couldn't disagree more. I like the way they look.

Is this list viable?

Standard Army
Clash: 1498/1500 points
Standard Army
Resistance Standard [1498/1500 pts]
Breaching Drills [50 pts]
Breaching Drill: Model 109 Breaching Drill [50 pts]
Warlord's HQ [490 pts]
Alexander: M3 Alexander(Commander), AT-77 Lifthawk(+AA Cannon) [290 pts]
Gun Technicals: 8x Gun Technical [80 pts]
Cyclones: 2x AH-16 Cyclone [120 pts]
Vehicle Detachment [113 pts]
Gun Wagons: 3x Gun Wagon, NT-1 Kraken [113 pts]
Resistance Band [415 pts]
Fighters: 2x Resistance Fighters, AT-77 Lifthawk(+AA Cannon), 2x MT-90 Jackson, MT-90 Jackson(+Spider Launcher) [168 pts]
^ Sharing ^ Fighters: 2x Resistance Fighters [48 pts]
^ Sharing ^ Fighters: 2x Resistance Fighters [48 pts]
Marine Force Recon: 2x Marine Force Recon, Raven A/S [151 pts]
Rusted Fist [150 pts]
Hannibals: 2x M9 Hannibal, AT-77 Lifthawk(+AA Cannon) [150 pts]
Infiltrators [140 pts]
Freeriders: 2x Freeriders [70 pts]
Freeriders: 2x Freeriders [70 pts]
Fast Strikers [140 pts]
Hellhog: J19 Hellhog(+Extra Ammo) [140 pts]

Using Hannibals, Alexander because I think they are cool.

I never realized how goofy PHR dropships actually look when carrying vehicles. youtube.com/watch?v=8eoNa-NiYqA

I'll fuckin fight you m8.

They'd presumably look a bit better with the walker legs crouched up beneath their bodies.

There's just so many weird design queues that are unique to the type 1s that just ruin the look of them.

The type 2's got all the awesome details like the dual radiator fins and that grill on top. Type 1s don't have to be identical but they'd look better if they were skinnier Type 2's

Well I prefer the type-gofuckyourselftraitor

Cereal though: I like both walker types

What the fuck is going on with the end of that gun barrel?

>he doesn't kill so many traitors that his gun barrel warps from the heat

Git gud, scrub.

> His weapons are poorly-designed enough to warp

Fuckin' primitives.

Do DzC models have to be cleaned with soapy water before you start painting? Or is that not a thing?

like all resin, they usually need to be cleaned up before you start; it's good practice anyways.

eat a dick hedgehog

Yes!

any dropfleet footage?

A D
V I N D I C T A M

>have never washed a model before
>now realize that's probably why the primer always go on blotchy
fuck, I may have fucked up that priming

>mfw

Might be the temp or humidity.

Maybe Dave ripped off of Fallout 4 a couple years in advance

Do you have to wash plastic minis too?

might be. I do live in Texas, shit gets humid.

Depending on the paint, anything over 20% can fuck it up and make it frizzy.

>you will never be a glorious PHR walker pilot
>you will never customize your onboard AI with a feisty, tomboyish female persona
>you will never unwind on a long Poseidon ride back to your troopship by unlocking full access to your tactile feedback circuits and letting your walker have its way with you

Such a bleak existence is ours.

>might be. I do live in Texas, shit gets humid.
D A L L A S
A
L
L
A
S

o-oh..

Sorry user, I'm in Houston. Hey, if you're ever in the area and want to play just post in the thread and say you're looking for folks to play with in Houston. I'll probably walk into a deathtrap if its possible I'll get to play some dzc.

The only faction where taking light infantry in air transports is cheaper is the PHR, for every other faction to get the same amount of infantry its more expensive for light dropships.

Also I dont know why you would skimp on scourge warriors they have a fantastic anti tank weapon and being a building they are fairly resiliant and far from an optimum target to shoot at, also the only factions with A4 infantry are UCM, Shaltari, and Scourge, and the UCM A4 Infantry are terrible in CQB.

>tfw you lived in Houston, but are now in Dallas for uni
fugg; where at, son?
League City represent.

Harris County, Copperfield area.

rip, hopefully I'll actually have a proper army to play if I ever hop down that way again.

Lads, how do you feel about the Annihilator?

Double Overseer
Clash: 1497/1500 points
Standard Army
Standard Roster [1497/1500 pts]
Scourge Oppressors [460 pts]
Overseer: Overseer(Champion) [230 pts]
Overseer: Overseer(Champion) [230 pts]

Scourge Vanguard [210 pts]
Hunter MGT Squadron: 3x Hunter [105 pts]

Scourge Vanguard [185 pts]
Corruptor Squadron: Corruptor [80 pts]

Scourge Warrior Cabal [148 pts]
Warrior Horde: 2x Warriors, Intruder Alpha [94 pts]
Reaver Heavy Gunships: Reaver [54 pts]

Scourge Warrior Cabal [148 pts]
Warrior Horde: 2x Warriors, Intruder Alpha [94 pts]
Reaver Heavy Gunships: Reaver [54 pts]

Scourge Occupation Patrol [346 pts]
Minder Swarm: 4x Minder, Intruder Beta [56 pts]
Eviscerator Pack: 2x Eviscerators, Intruder Alpha [140 pts]
Annihilator: Annihilator [150 pts]

>design queues

Probably a good idea. Anything with a mold release agent, really.

mate

Scanning error, most likely

Note that they're both asymmetrical.

And?

PHR doesn't have any symmetrical mechs.

Janus
Hera
Hades
Nemesis

...I'm still not seeing what the point you're trying to make here is. What does symmetry have to do with the pics that were posted?

His point is that people complain that the type 1 walkers look out of place and should look more like the Type 2, due to asymmetrical design. However the type 2 is asymmetrical as well, and from that pic you can see the carried over elements fairly clearly

Hey hero. Here's some smut just for you.

>Awoken yet again by a nightmare, Dave shudders
>"another week to the timer, when will those tossers learn"

Nice work, user

Thanks. user seemed very sad, so I thought some smut might cheer him up.

strawpoll.me/11185720

>the weird curve in from on the type 1
>the fucking tumor growth of a cockpit on the type 1

If you're going to argue the mini gun ruins the overall symmetry of the Walker because you're a pedantic little shit, then just say so you Eurozone cunt.

>tfw you think the type 1 pod looks better than the type 2's

>greentext some silly escapist thoughts from the middle of a long workday
>someone promptly takes time out of their day to make OC out of it, unasked

Holy shit Writeanon, I want you to know that you just made my day. Fancy bejeweled space hedgehog hats off to you, mate.

Thanks, hero. It's good to know you enjoyed it.

>some anons are jerking it to fucking a mech
>you just feel bad for that longbow operator that got fucking demolished
Fucking abandonists man

>meanwhile, in the jungle night of shangri-la, Warrent-Officer Smith of the UCM 3-Ferrous Legion lays cocooned in his Sabre and decides that if he can just dislocate his left shoulder, he can not only finally manage to give himself a handjob, he won't even feel his palm doing it.

The wonders of UCM technology! Those abandonists can't hope to match us in self entertainment!

That's because we don't need to do it ourselves. We have our machines / your wives to do it for us. GLORY TO THE TECHNOCHADS

>if you think asymmetry ruins symmetry you're just trying to make people angry
>but clearly valuing symmetry in combat vehicles isn't contrived pedantry at all

If you had never seen a car before you would complain about how the steering wheel was off to one side.

Also, my timezone is about 9 hours off from the Eurozone.

Speaking of, I just noticed that the UCM puts the steering wheel on the right and the PHR puts on the left.

Fucking Britbong

PHR was right all along.

>feeling sorry for non-a e s t h e t i c s
>year of the White Sphere 2671AD

I need mah ships, man. I need them.

We all do user, we all do.

I really want to see some alterante paint schemes for PHR.

Also maybe someone could turn the prow of one of the bigger ships into something crazy straight out of the Iliad. Have like the wood color base, then add in the eye and maybe red fins or something for the sails.

I would complain if the entire passenger compartment was a bubble hanging onto the left side of the car

That's clearly not the cockpit

Are you trying to imply the offset tumor cockpit on the type 1 is a byproduct of realistic combat vehicle design?

It's perfectly reasonable for you to say "I like type 1's, we don't agree" but trying to justify obviously subjective views like this is ridiculous.

>offset tumor cockpit on the type 1
Every PHR vehicle has that cockpit, user.

Offset being the key word here.

And? That doesn't make it any more or less a "tumor"

Yeah, not that guy, but it clearly is.

What do you think it is?

A sensor pod, which is why it ranges in size from too small for a person to fit in to the size of a light truck depending on the vehicle.

The Type-1 cockpit does look sort of random and out-of-place. I can see where you'd get the impression that it seems sort of tumorous.

To be honest, I don't mind it being off to one side, but I do mind what this does to the overall chassis of the Type-1's. Their top looks extremely flat and weird because of it.