Kickstarter hype (Back it!):

Kickstarter hype (Back it!): kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/dungeon-fantasy-roleplaying-game-powered-by-gurps

Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic just released. Dungeon Fantasy spellcasting system inspired by Ritual Path Magic, billed as a simpler version with effect-based casting, alchemy, and Vancian Magic-esque spell slots. forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=145723

"How do I ... in GURPS?" edition.

Thread challenge/GURPS learning exercise: Post an ability, power, game genre/concept, etc., from a show, movie, game, other tabletop system, book, etc.; then, you or someone else tries to stat it in GURPS, explaining in detail how and why you wrote it up the way you did.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_assured_destruction
casualvillain.com/Unsounded/world/index.php/Pymary
forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=144659
forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=30806
warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0340
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Dungeon Fantasy: Powered by GURPS is up on kickstarter and doing okay.
>A new RPM-inspired magic system is out.
>New general starts with trips.

Today is a good day.

If they announce a release date for Vehicles 4e I think I might explode.

Today is a good day for GURPS. also talk to me, i'm an avid fan of GURPS but my dnd group prefers fantasy. Is the dungeon fantasy kickstarter worth my money even if i never get to use it to run GURPS and just steal stuff for dnd games?

Yes.

You just have to trick them into playing GURPS. Tell them you are playing a dnd homebrew you found on the internet or something.

Probably not, to be totally honest. The DF set is mostly mechanics with a single adventure attached. Seeing as those mechanics are inspired by old D&D games, it seems unlikely they'd have anything new to add.

That being said, the DF Box is meant to be used, well, out of the box. It's standalone nature makes it well suited to drawing in converts (that's basically its whole point), so if your group is getting scared off by the flood of irrelevant options and rules, this may finally be what snags them. If they dislike it due to memes though, you're still shit out of luck.

That's basically what I did back in the day, but now it's even easier!

Incantations looks great, a streamlined RPM, using techniques for spells in a more integral manner and much less trivial to break the game with it.

MURDER
MAYHEM
ELVEN VAMPIRES

SHIT GETS REAL THIS WEEKEND ON GRIMWYRD

AND I CAN'T PARLEY THE FINER POINTS OF THE GAME WITH YOU, BECAUSE MY PLAYERS ARE EGUKAR Veeky Forums FOLK!

Fitting in with the challenge/learning from OP, how would you stat out the various element bending from the Avatar series? Also, how would you stat out the Avatar State?

So biotech+some google is giving me around 15 meals(15.000 cal) for a small low activity centaur, is it too much? too little? am i getting gurps meals wrong?

Threat it as innate attack and its modifications, i'm using that for elementarism. You only need to stat a FP cost per mod, on my case all costs add up going pretty high for even simple things.

english isn't my mother language, what is RPM?

Airbending is 90% Telekinesis. Firebending is, oddly enough, Crushing Attack with Incendiary and a bunch of modifiers all at once with that one enhancement that lets you pick which one applies at that moment.
Waterbending is Control Water with the various Innate Attacks as Alternate Abilities.
Earthbending is a combination of Control Earth (pulling up and reshaping stone) and TK (Earth Only).

You may also get a similar effect with Imbuements. Actually, that'd be pretty baller, seeing that the various bending styles are all based around Martial Arts styles (all of which are coincidentally given in Martial Arts)... You could mash them into one big style. In fact, I'll be back in a bit.

Ritual-Path Magic.

Each GURPS meal should be good for about 850 calories, thus you'd have about 17.6 meals for a horse-sized person...

But! Horses aren't humans. They can digest rough foliage more efficiently then humans. Grass is pretty low calories/pound, but you can get a lot of it for very cheap and it's just growing on the ground most places.

Granted, eating 20+ pounds of grass would slow you down a lot more then 5 pounds of pemmican or other high energy food.

i was thinking about "human food" for the centaurs, after all they are human like enough and don't exactly have the body to graze.

Really, I'd argue that wind water and earth were all TK powered by local sources of their element, plus gimmicks. Pyro was mostly flight, explosive crushing attacks, and incindiary followups on king fu.

>and Vancian Magic-esque spell slots.

I'm legitimately starting to believe Vancian Magic is the logical conclusion and eventually any sufficiently complicated alternative magic system contains an ad hoc informally-specified of Vancian magic.

It's weird how things tend to gravitate like that. First away, then back, and away again. Trending in waves.

Like vampires. Or zombies. Or aliens.

It's also funny because the creator of Vancian magic already solved the problem of magic users always being ridiculously overpowered; he dialled their brokenness up to 11 and gave them a ridiculously limited number of spell slots, basically wizard battles were full on MAD were nobody dared cast the first spell.

I don't quite get your analogy; MAD indicated the only winning move was not to play. Any attack by one party resulted in a retaliation from the other, even with first strikes. And a complete blitz would simply result in apocalyptic levels of devastation on the planet.

So far, in any ttrpg, I have not seen similar forces available to players. I've seen unwieldy, improperly designed and unfairly balanced systems and classes, but I haven't seen a genuine analogue to MAD.

Can someone please tell me what is MAD?

> Mutual assured destruction or mutually assured destruction (MAD) is a doctrine of military strategy and national security policy in which a full-scale use of nuclear weapons by two or more opposing sides would cause the complete annihilation of both the attacker and the defender (see pre-emptive nuclear strike and second strike).[1] It is based on the theory of deterrence, which holds that the threat of using strong weapons against the enemy prevents the enemy's use of those same weapons. The strategy is a form of Nash equilibrium in which, once armed, neither side has any incentive to initiate a conflict or to disarm.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_assured_destruction

Warhammer Roleplay replicates something similar, you can't really ever begin to compete with daemons; spells deal several times your HP easily but actually casting them eventually rips a hole into chaos thus it's almost never worth casting them unless your 100% royally screwed.

Even still, that's certainly not MAD. There is still a risk/reward inherent to it as a game. Unless the spells literally kill you and everything you love, as well as your enemy...

So in most of the "realistic" (less action-oriented) media you have things like the frail old lady murdering someone by smashing an ashtray on the back of his head. More generally a well-placed bullet or knife wound will be fatal unless the victim is rushed to a hospital and even a pair of scissors can be a decent weapon against someone who lacks combat experience.

How do you recreate this level of lethality in GURPS?

Pymary from Unsounded

casualvillain.com/Unsounded/world/index.php/Pymary

Basically attribute and Advantage theft/modifcation with some other flexible stuff. Not sure how to price it though.

There's also spitirs and things can be bound into items that must be made out of First Materials, which while enchantable, are otherwise immune from Pymary (mostly).

Basically, they have their own rules and are not dependant on the web where everything else gets it's physical laws.

Treat an improvised smashy weapon like a cheap mace (does sw+3 damage) Assuming the little old lady has an 8 or 9 ST, she'll be doing 1d+1 or 1d+2. She'll average 4 or 5 damage. The skull has 2 DR, so that's 2 or 3 damage, x4 for a skull hit, for a total of 8-12 damage average, or 24 damage maximum. Average person has 10 HP. An above average roll will easily put someone into negative HP

Just use GURPS.
Specifically, bleeding may kill you even after fight already ended.
Modern pistols deal around 3d pi+ damage, that's 15 total on average to unprotected target or even 32 for shot in the head. You are fucking dead at this point.
And she can make all-out attack for 1 extra damage.

If you're untrained, and attacking from behind, you're better off doing an all-out for +4 to hit, and stack telegraphic on that for another +4, in order to soak the -5 to hit the skull from behind.

Also, it would be +2 damage. It's +2, or +1/die, whichever is better.

>RPM
>spell slots
Dropped. RPM already has limit on conditional rituals/charms, there is no need in some arbitrary system.

Killing someone with an improvised weapon is pretty hit and miss and often depends on getting lucky. For every hit with a ashtray that kills someone there are a thousand scalp lacerations and aggravated assault charges.

>on the back of his head
-5 to hit the Skull, as per Martial Arts. x4 wounding modifier, -2 from Skull DR, +2 damage from All-Out Attack (Strong), +1 damage from a fist load, +4 to-hit from Telegraphic Attack, probably Evaluate bonuses for taking extra time and the defender probably gets no defense since this is a true attack from the back.
10-5+4+3=12 to-hit, 1d-3 cr (9 ST old lady punch) +2 (AoA(Strong)) +1 (Fist Load) = 1d cr
If we assume max damage, that's 4 damage that gets through the skull, multiplied by 4 for a total of 16 damage. They'll need to make an HT roll to stay conscious. If they make that roll, another HT roll at -10 to avoid knockdown and stunning (I think). If it's a critical hit, you can double or triple damage to force a death check.
Per Martial Arts, we can have gritty damage. A major wound (Over HP/2, which we definitely did for a 10HP man) to the skull has us roll 3d6 and consult a table, which the man then needs to roll HT to resist. The effects of this table can range from permanent IQ damage, gaining the Epilepsy disadvantage, the Neurological Disorder, etc..
If you treat the ashtray as a weapon (as does) that does better than a normal punch with +1 for a fist load, it's likely that the man will take 20+ injury and be forced into a death check.

(con't)

I'm reading it, and the "spell slots" are the same thing as conditional spells/charms. "Charms" don't have a physical form which gives you the pro of being able to use one without readying, but the con of not being able to share. Use elixirs to share.

>well-placed bullet or knife wound
This is an attack to the vitals, by and large. Vitals are at -3 to-hit, and can only be attacked with crushing (punches, baseball bats), piercing (bullets), impaling (knife stabs), and tight-beam burning attacks (lasers). Vitals has an x3 wounding modifier, meaning that your basic damage is multiplied by 3.
Timmy Scumton attacks Joe Average with a small knife he lifted from a pawn shop. A small knife in the 20th-21st century is fine by default, giving +1 to cutting and impaling damage, meaning he does 1d-2 imp. AoA(Strong) for +2, reversed grip (holding the knife like an icepick) gives +1 damage, for a total of 1d+1 imapling. A maximum of 7 damage, which is multiplied by 3 by vitals for a total of 21 HP damage, forcing Joe Average to roll a death check.
A major wound to the vitals, as per MA, has us rolling 3d6 again for another effect. These range from permanently lowering HT, the Easy to Kill disadvantage, the Wounded disadvantage, and the possibility to cause a stroke, which would send us back to the Skull Wounds Table.

Overall, pretty well. I am using a few extra rules from outside of Basic Set, mostly for additional damage or effects. Note that most people would die from bleeding out, not the initial injury, unless they suffered repeated attacks. Most people just fall unconscious or are otherwise rendered immobile and bleed to death.

Well done. This makes me want to play an assassin-type character.

Note that killing someone quickly and quietly with a knife is hard, and the torso is a shitty place to try for it. The neck is easier, but even then it's more like 20-50 seconds to death then instant. (Thrust in from the side, cut out. Slitting is for people that have seen too many movies.)

Most people attempting to kill with a knife will make a huge mess of it.

>Overall, pretty well.
I completely missed the >How do you recreate this level of lethality in GURPS?

In case it wasn't obvious, it can be fairly lethal by default. GURPS attempts to... I don't want to say model reality, since it doesn't, but it's very grounded in reality. If you can do something in real life, you can do it in GURPS. If you can't do something in real life, you can still most likely do it in GURPS.

Also, this, 100%.

>assassin-type
There's extensive discussion on the GURPS forums about silent assassinations. The general consensus seems to be that the best way to do it is a rapid strike/all-out attack (double)/combination/etc. that consists of a grapple to the face (prevents screaming) and a powerful attack to a high-value target, such as the vitals, neck, lungs, major arteries, etc., and gently setting down the body. Or, just use a well-placed, suppressed, subsonic bullet.

In general, an assassin is going to want a lot in the way of sneaky-sneak (Stealth, Shadowing, Camouflage), mobility (Acrobatics, Climbing, Escape, a transporation skill such as driving or bicycling), knowledge (Area Knowledge (to make getaways), Streetwise), entry (Forced Entry, Lockpicking, Electronics Operation (Security)), and, of course, combat (knife, shortsword, guns (pistol/rifle), unarmed striking and grappling).

Depending on the point total, you're either making a 13 year old trigger nigger on 25 points, or Altair/Ezio on 250~500.

I'm pumped and ready. Also, it took forever for me to figure out how to do a targeted attack technique in GCS.

>Bite/Neck
Brutal. I've always wanted to play a character that fought like a cornered animal, biting off noses and such.

Has anyone run across martial arts styles for that sort of character? The only one I've found is this one, focused on eye-gouging: forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=144659

Someone on the forums did all the bending styles up as martial art styles that include supernatural abilities. I haven't used it but it looks like it captures the flavor of the show.
forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=30806

>armor weight is to three decimal places
Why

LTC2: Weapons and Warriors gave detailed rules for scaling weapons up and down for different size modifiers. For SM+1 armor, you multiply weight and base cost by 2.25.

What peoples thoughts about a perk allowing someone to ignore the -2 if their mount attacked the previous turn and letting them sacrificial block for their mount?

Is it released? Have they fixed how you gathered energy?

Same guy, I found the cavalry training technique so maybe this iperk is a bit strong. Is there a reason why it's a technique to eliminate mounted combat penalties but only a perk to eliminate the -2 for fighting with a large shield?

Honestly I'd probably just use base sorcery for the magic in unsounded. Maybe modify Sorcery a bit so hardcore improvising is a lot cheaper and easier to perform, because the mages seem pretty good at throwing around whatever.

The spells could have some simple accessibility modifier like "requires grass in the vicinity" and stuff like that.

Cavalry Training is a technique for the rider to buy off the -2 penalty to attack at the same time as his mount. Shield-Wall Training buys off the -2 penalty for the shield-user to attack while holding a large shield.

Basically, one lets you get two attacks at no penalty, while the other lets you get one attack at no penalty. I imagine that was the reasoning behind it. That said, it's your game. You could easily turn cavalry training into a perk. I don't think it'd break anything to allow that; the point cost is between one and three points.

That does raise an interesting question, though, about what should and shouldn't be a technique/perk. Should kicking be a perk? Elbow strikes? What about defensive techniques, like Aggressive Parry?

warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0340

It uses effect shaping like in the one pyramid article in issue 3/66.

How much do you screw with the system if you allow damage type modifiers and hit location damage modifiers to stack?

A Knife (x2 Impaling) to the Vitals (x3) would now do x6 damage.

Uh... at first blush, multiplicative (x6) suddenly makes a small knife stab to the guts do, with AoA(Strong) and reversed grip, a minimum of 12 and a maximum of 42 for x6. 42 is going to send the average person to -3xHP, meaning three death checks and a roll to stay conscious at -3, assuming you survive those three death checks. I wouldn't do it unless you're playing a game where everyone is about as sturdy as a scopedog (specifically, as sturdy as gasoline-soaked cardboard near an open flame). It's going to result in a lot of people suddenly needing to roll three or four death checks, or just dying outright to hollowpoint .40 caliber pistol rounds to the vitals (Now THAT is stopping power) about 40% of the time. And it's very easy to hit the vitals with a gun. 1 on 1d6 with every shot to the torso.

That said, there is a disadvantage for exactly this - Vulnerability. Say you have an x4 Vulnerability to cheap weeaboo knives, and someone stabs you with a cheap weeaboo knife in the vitals. That's 3*4 for an x12 wounding modifier, meaning instant death 50% of the time (60 damage). I'd use it sparringly, and mostly for things that can take a beating - say, an HT 14 werewolf with unkillable 1 in its wolf form.

That seems likely. I was focused on what the perks/techniques did at face value not the context of them.

It seems a blurry line between perks and techniques in some cases and I believe it may be too broad to define exactly. I'm away from books now but very broadly perks alter the way things work and techniques let you buy off penalties for existing options maybe? Having said that there is no reason why the gm couldn't make things that are currently a technique a perk or vice versa. I guess it could depend on how crunchy they want to be.

I didn't bother rounding off. I guess I could take it to the nearest quarter pound.

A lot. Like.. a huge amount. It would also weirdly nerf pi- damage by making it to 1.5x rather then 3x when hitting vitals and 2x rather then 4x vs the skull.

Why the hell do Slings do pi damage?

Vulnerability STACKS with hit location damage modifiers? Wow.

That is one bit of weirdness with how hit locations and damage type interaction. 10 points of pi+ damage seems like it ought to hurt more than 10 points of pi- damage when both hit the brain.

interact*, not "interaction"

Might be a good post on the forums to make, if anyone has an account.

>Why the hell do Slings do pi damage?
See image, right side. Peter Dell'Orto (I believe he did the weapons in LT) is way ahead of you. Low-Tech is a seriously awesome book, by the way. Very, very useful.

>10 points of pi+ damage seems like it ought to hurt more than 10 points of pi- damage when both hit the brain.

I think it's a simple matter of rule consistency, avoiding too much bloat, and erring on the side of mercy and heroism.

Plus let's be honest here. You don't need the massive wounding adds. You want to keep it real, make it actually hurt? Apply the bleeding rules with no mercy. That's how most people die from those kind of wounds anyways - they bleed out.

Here's what I have so far.

==Airbending (Pa Kua Chuan)==
Skills: Judo; Karate; Meditation.
Techniques: Arm Lock; Exotic Hand Strike; Hammer Fist.
Imbuements*: Forceful Blow; Project Blow; Shockwave; Supreme Control; Telescoping Blow; Aerial Operations; Hasten Vehicle.
Cinematic Skills: Mental Strength; Power Blow; Push.
Cinematic Techniques: Roll with Blow.

==Beifong Earthbending (Praying Mantis Kung Fu)==
Skills: Judo; Karate.
Techniques: Arm Lock; Counterattack (Karate); Ear Clap; Exotic Hand Strike; Eye-Poke; Hammer Fist; Kicking; Knee Strike; Targeted Attack (Judo Grapple/Arm).
Imbuements*: Project Blow; Multi-Shot; Shattershot; Shockwave; Supreme Control; Telescoping Weapon; Binding Shot; Crushing Strike; Impaling Strike; Piercing Strike; All-Terain Operation; Armored Vehicle; Hardy Vehicle; Underground Operation.
Cinematic Skills: Hypnotic Hands; Immovable Stance; Light Walk; Power Blow; Sensitivity.
Cinematic Techniques: Lethal Eye-Poke; Lethal Strike.
Perks: Iron Hands; Special Setup (Karate Parry > Arm Lock)

>1/3

==Firebending (Hsing I Chuan)==
Skills: Judo; Karate.
Techniques: Arm Lock; Counterattack (Karate); Exotic Hand Strike; Sweep (Judo or Karate); Trip.
Imbuements: Conic Blast; Incendiary Weapon; Project Incendiary Blow; Telescoping Incendiary Weapon; Incendiary Shockwave; Dazzling Display; Fireproof Armor.
Cinematic Skills: Breaking Blow; Kiai; Mental Strength; Power Blow.
Cinematic Techniques: Lethal Strike; Springing Attack; Timed Defense.
Perks: Technique Adaptation (Counterattack).

==Waterbending (Tai Chi Chuan)==
Skills: Breath Control; Esoteric Medicine; Judo; Karate; Sumo Wrestling.
Techniques: Arm Lock; Hammer Fist; Sweep (Judo, Karate, or Sumo Wrestling).
Imbuements*: Telescoping Weapon; Chilling Strike; Cutting Strike; Dazzling Display; Impaling Strike; Withering Strike; All-Terrain Operation; Aquatic Operation
Cinematic Skills: Immovable Stance; Mental Strength; Pressure Points; Pressure Secrets; Push.
Cinematic Techniques: Pressure-Point Strike; Roll with Blow.
Perks: Unusual Training (Push, May not step or move while doing so).

>2/3

*The core advantage for Imbuement for Airbenders has Environmental (Very Common, Air, -5%), Earthbenders has the Environmental (Common, Earth, -10%), and Waterbenders has Environmental (Occasional, Water, -20%).

1) All Imbuements use the element as a medium; an earthbender using Telescoping Weapon + Impaling Strike isn't stretching their arm out and sharpening it to a point but calling forth a spike of stone that stabs out further than their arms can reach.

2) Vehicle Imbuements (Pyramid #3/71 Spacehips II) affect the user directly instead.

3) The styles list the more common aspects of the art of bending; a firebender can "fly" and call forth lightning, but both are rare enough that they should be treated as unique abilities that some may pick up, not a core part of the style, so the Firebending style lacks Electric Weapon, Project Fulminating Blow, or Aerial Operations.

4) All Imbuements assume unarmed as the base attack. This is consistent with the show, but it could be interesting to let them be based off weapons instead; someone that combined the art of airbending with a sw cut weapon would be incredibly deadly and a suitable villain.

5) I've given the names each bending style was based off of in parenthesis so you can see the styles perfered tactics and maneuvers. Some of the choices were pretty obvious (Praying Mantis Kung Fu) while others were best guesses based on the style's description and how it looks in the show (Hsing I Chuan).

Hhgg

I don't know much about Avatar, so I can't really comment on the accuracy of these styles. You should check out this user's stuff (). He used advantages instead of imbuements.

Imbuements as part of styles is an excellent idea, however. Only Yrth Fighting Styles has done it, AFAIK, and even then, it didn't have styles with imbuements as a central role.

Your GM using Martial Arts rules for teeth? That's fucking brutal.

Uniform Fine mail is fine but I suggest Light across limbs, hands, feet and Heavy on the Coif and Halburk. This works out cheaper and lighter but gives you better protection on the places that count.

What are the martial arts rules for teeth? I am going to stick with the current armor because I've already annoyed the GM enough with request for changes to my character lately.

Low Tech is a great book. It changes a lot of things that bothered me about the Basic Set.

I believe the Martial Arts biting rules are a combination of Biting Mastery (MA49~) and the Teeth infobox (MA115). Biting Mastery lets you use Karate (and damage bonuses) for biting, and the Teeth infobox has some nasty stuff you can do, and biting counts as a one-handed grapple.

Sidenote: I did not know about the second definition of the verb "worry" until today. I saw it in DFM1 for Dinomen, thought it was a typo, and just saw it in MA. Apparently it's when a dog (or similar carnivore) bites down on you and shakes their head, tearing you apart. Fun.

>to seize, especially by the throat, with the teeth and shake or mangle, as one animal does another.

That sounds exactly like what I want to do. Goddamn, that info box.

I'm starting to get ready to play a "swat' theme game friday and I wanted to ask if pi- is that big of a deal I was going to use a fn 5-7 (2d+2(2) pi-) as a side arm but wanted to ask if the half damage was really worth it.

If you're shooting to kill, you should be shooting for the vitals or the skull. All piercing does x3/x4 damage in those locations, instead of their wounding modifier. 2d+2(2) isn't enough to get through a plate-carrier with plates in it, but it'll get through a ballistic vest nicely, doing an average of 9 damage to the vitals. It's a good pick for a sidearm, as long as you recognize that a sidearm is a backup you transition to, not your main weapon (assuming this is a realistic game, of course).

It's perfectly fine if you are willing to do Shot Placement first, last and always.

If you hit the vitals that pi- overpriced .22 magnum is going to do every bit as much damage as a .45 and more if you passed though some Kevlar on the way, and deal more damage though a helmet to some poor bastard's Skull hit location.

Shots at 'whatever presents itself' are the downside. You won't do as much damage if you aren't accurate. Limb hits, when most people don't wear limb armor, are the weakest point: Billy Bob's .45 can cripple an arm and your gun won't.

Yeah its a realistic game and I wanted a backup weapon that I could use with a skill of 12 or for times where I would have to reload but its not safe enough. I'm not sure if 12 is enough to do Vital shots with "safely" but I think about it some more thanks.

Acc 2, ROF 3 for +1, Braced for +1 and a laser on that accessory rail means with 1 second to aim you've got SL 17, enough to hit 50% with a vitals shot at 10 yards. That's far from ideal, but I'd say acceptable. If you can get within 7 yards you've got a decent shot.

oh I didn't even know you can brace it.

Pistols get Braced if you use two hands. That's SOP for most pistol training these days, with Weaver being the standard. This helps compensate for their lower base accuracy.

In a pinch you can also AoA (Determined) to snag an extra +1.

>ROF 3 for +1
+1 at 5 shots, not 3. B373.

Read Tactical Shooting, pp. 11-16. That bit alone will kick your gun-fu up a notch. The rest of the book is worth another notch or three at least.

Bump, life, etc

Suppose you hit an opponent several times in a round, doing enough damage each time to cause a major wound. Do you roll only once to avoid kd/stun or do you roll once per major wound?

I'm pretty sure it's once per wound, although if you were generous, you could have them only roll once.

I checked the Mega archive, and I can't seem to find Locations: Hellsgate or Locations: The Tower of Octavius. Can anybody help out?

See, I'm not certain of that. Because you can reach further away, but it takes more time and more power.

I'm thinking, mm, Attribute theft,

Sorcery alternate, as you said, afflection/maldiction with cosmic and alternate abilities, and more cosmic.

Or, oh, Modular abilities, A level or two extra of cosmic, linked Affliction, and a side of talent to provide bonuses for elements or things you excel at?

>Why the hell do Slings do pi damage?

still too slow for pi, maybe lead bullets could get pi instead of cr because of smaller surface and higher velocity.

GM here, I made a monster based on this for my fantasy monster hunters group. Thanks for the reminder of what teeth can do. This is going to be exceedingly fun.

For Powers I don't apply Power Modifiers to the power talent right?

For example, I have the power modifier:

Warlock's Pact [-60%]
- Anti-Powers (Divine) [-5%]
- Required Disadvantages (Code of Conduct, Phantom Voices) [-30%] (I might make this smaller)
- Channeled Energy (Sanctity) -5%]
- Nuisance Effect (Social Stigma) [-20%]

And I have a Power Investiture variation.

Should I apply the Warlock's Pact modifiers to the Power Investiture advantage? Doesn't it already factor in the Required Disadvantages?

>- Nuisance Effect (Social Stigma) [-20%]
This is more than a 'nuisance effect', innit? More like a Secret that you must trade out for the Social Stigma if you get find out. And no 'Pact' limitation? If there's a 'pact' on the name, I just find it bizarre to see it missing.

Pact is handled by the Required Disadvantages part.
Nuisance Effect (Social Stigma) applies to using the powers. Social Stigma (Excommunicated) is part of the Required Disadvantages. I should have been clearer.

Anybody know of an advantage version of the spell Time Out from Magic? I want to empty an entire box magazine out of a Tommy Gun instantly without the need to be a mage.

Magery (One Spell Only (Time Out), No Aura + blah, Cosmic: Not Mana Sensitive +50%, etc...)

Because making it crushing would do knockback.

Seems like that would involve knowing 21 different spells that you can't cast(Accelerated Time, a prereq, and 2 spells from 10 different colleges each, the prereq for Accelerated Time). Also, no ability to apply modifiers directly to the ability.

Isn't there a better way?

Maybe some levels of Altered Time Rate (Only for shooting). Are there any Imbuements that grant higher rates of fire? If so, that'd be another way to do it.

How is magitech and divine magi-tech handled in GURPs? Would you just base it off of Powers: The Weird and Psi-Tech?

Well you could do Power Investiture (Cosmic (No Pact) +50%)?

>Your GM using Martial Arts rules for teeth?
Grimwyrd gm here: the few times grappling has come up has been when the previously mentioned explosive ghouls get to pouncing on people, but Gray here countered with a neck-breaking bite with his sharp teeth. It was a surprisingly epic response to being mobbed, and has inspired the pursuit of tooth-gnashing death skills.

Saturdays session may include even more general wackiness!

The Charm perk lets you cast one spell without knowing spell prerequisites. There's also the Adjustable Spells rules from Thaumatology p. 39 -- every +1 to energy costs *and* -1 to skill gives you +5% in enhancements, and you can also add in limitations to reduce the final cost. For example, if you cast Fireball with the Guided (+50%) enhancement, it normally costs 10 extra FP and gives a -10 to casting, but tacking on Reduced Range x1/5 (-20%) limitation brings to total to +30%, or +6 energy and -6 to skill.

Time Out seems *very* absolute, which means it's pretty damn hard to stat in GURPS. Even low-end spells like Resist Fire cost a literally infinite number of points to stat as an ability because the rest of GURPS just doesn't do absolutes. Your best bet is to treat time stoppers as people with a single innate spell -- in this case, Magery 3 (One Spell Only, -80%) [7] + Charm (Time Out) [1] + Time Out (VH) IQ+Magery [1]-IQ, which costs a total of 8 points, registers you as inately supernatural, and lets you spend five minutes and 5 FP to make and IQ roll to create and area of stopped time around you. Any modifiers increase FP costs by 1 and gives -1 to IQ per net +5%.

Ahh, wasn't aware of Charm or the Adjustable Spells rules. That combination does make it close enough to a standalone power that I'm into it. Many thanks.

Magi-tech is incredibly broad.

The simplist way to implement it is to use divergent tech-levels; that's not a TL8 "sniper rifle" you load "bullets" in to that fire when you "ignite the gunpowder," it's a TL3+5 crys-arts mechanism that launches internally-stored stones when you activate the runic latch -- at the end of the day, though, the numbers are the same. I recommend this approach if you want to keep bookkeeping at the most minimal and/or keep things as sane as the normal gear lists.

There are Metatronic Generators (Pyramid #3/46 Weird Science) that turn advantages into superscience gear; just scratch out the "science" bit and you're good to go. I recommend this approach if you want something more customizable that does a pretty good job of makin magi-tech not feel like normal technology.

Lastly, the Mother of Invention rules (same issue of Pyramid) that let you stat any invention as a creature and then use whatever point value you came up with to find the difficulty in crafting it and the cost of doing so. I recommend this approach if the PCs will be the ones making the magitech (the amount of detail is unnecessary if all they're doing is buying it from a store) or you want a very customizable system that by default covers rules for magitech vehicles and automatons (Metatronic Generators just grant powers e.g. it can let you fly, but it won't become a rocketship).

Yeah as long as you can get the skill roll equal to the attribute and don't let them upgrade it, it really doesn't feel all that different from advantages like Intuition, Mind Reading, and other abilities that call for attributes roll. I've been doing that shit for years and it's a lot easier that bending the system over your knee to translate one thing from spell/skill to advantage.

A disadvantage requiring other disadvantages is -5% at most, though you might also just want to look at the "pact" disadvantage in this case.

Actually, speaking of Time Out, is Photographic Memory good enough to accurately shoot people from inside the area? Since you can't see anything outside of it but everything would stay in the exact same place.

So how would TL 10 tanks look? Statwise and visually.