Solo Roleplaying

So how have your solo roleplaying games been going, Veeky Forums? Any good experiences?

Are you going system-less, or are you using some GM emulator in addition to a rules set?

I'm currently running a solo Deathwatch game using RPG Solo and the flash Mythic MGE. I wouldn't use RPG Solo if I had the choice, but I've found that flash Mythic MGE is biased towards "yes" in its decisions. I use it for managing story threads and scenes, whereas I keep RPG solo for binary questions and descriptions.

So far we've been shot down by orks on our way to protect a planetary governor's palace from chaos space marines, and we just killed their warboss in a desperate-- albeit successful-- last stand.

Also, I find it's much more fun to do when you write down the adventure as if it were a story, as opposed to "playing" it. Really helps with muh immersions.

So what about you, user?

Other urls found in this thread:

uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1472164916
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1472158670
fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sky_Lord_(book)
plus.google.com/communities/116965157741523529510
groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Mythic_Role_Playing/conversations/topics
thelonecrusader.com/
weirdrealm.com/cgi-bin/webdb/campaign.cgi
ttaud.io/2cbw8AZ
minden_games.homestead.com/
twohourwargames.com/
onepagerules.wordpress.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=9IYRC7g2ICg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

As a fa/tg/uy who doesn't have many friends who are also fa/tg/uys, this thread speaks to me.

I've used this system for some solo roleplayan, pretty fun but can be very deadly. used in combination with google maps street view. You walk around and the world generates random shit / encounters based on what you see.

I've done the new Cthulhu "alone against the flames". It was fun
The 2nd ed. Cthulhu "alone against the wendigo" which I ended up in a constant loop for a while
And I'm about to embark on the "alone against the dark"

These can be fun, but like all cyoa once played through a couple times it can get monotonous.

Theres another solo cyoa book/RPG released recently in the dungeon saga universe called "rise of the shadow King" that I will try too.

On a side note, and even though it was a bit on the stale side, Assassinorum execution force is a decent solo game. I added in home brew rules for random enemies and critical hits making the game a bit more different than originally intended.

I still have yet to do my advanced hero quest solo dungeon, but it's waiting.

Since I didn't feel a lot of fulfillment for making an adventure for my last group, I'm exploring solo options. I'm wrestling with the problem of being able to play something I created without design knowledge spoiling the adventure making it too easy.

You may want to try a system designed for solo play (where that's not a problem) or a GM emulator, which throws you curveballs now and then.

Here's a link to the game master emulators I uploaded in a previous thread:
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1472164916

Oh hey, this link is still up, too. This is Four Against Darkness, a dungeon crawler solo game, halfway between an RPG and a board game:
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1472158670

Thx

I've played a couple other games solo:
Dungeonquest
Dungeon saga (but not using the invisible overlord)

Seriously solo RPGs should get a genernal next time. I really feel like this is a untapped resource, especially for people like myself who do not have friend to play with or are so socially inept that the most they can do is call the FLGS to see if they have 30 sided dice available....

bump

Is it wrong that I still play solo when gming two games?

Why would that be wrong? Without solo games you'd have two games a week. With solo games you can play as many games per week as you like! What's not to love about that?

Solo as in one human being involved, or solo as in One DM / One Player?

I've run a one player game with my wife to get her used to the system before she joined the main campaign. Luckily she's a rogue, so it was pretty straightforward.

Solo as in one human being. One-on-one has some similarity in that you have to make accommodations for only one player either way, though.
Here, have a dedicated one-on-one system, which has some simple solo support.

Some assembly required: solidfiles com /d/f226526de6/Scarlet_Heroes_-_Solitaire_RPG.pdf

Thx bud.

Soon....

Playing by yourself doesn't sound very fun, though with modern programming I could see someone setting up a 'robo-GM' if you will, to help make sure rules are followed and something else is coming up with ideas.

In the future, consider just getting a throwaway mediafire account, mate. Get "complete survey senpai" popups on the second link.

They ~have~ those though. Were it not for them, it'd all just be writing exercises. With some personal integrity, the game can still be challenging.

artifex0 50webs com/GMEmulator swf
rpgsolo com

Are you a typically a player or a GM?

>He plays RPGs by himself

Do people this pathetic really exist?

>He plays pretend with dice
Do people this pathetic really exist?

>He has no friends to play games with
>He shifts immediately into a defense damage control stance
>His ass is so pained from friendly banter he can barely sit down
>He probably has a jug in his sad basement lair that he pees in so he doesn't have to interact with his mom upstairs

See
>I-it's not hypocrisy, a-user
>Y-you're j-just butthurt
>Trolled, h-haha...

>I'm not butthurt
>clearing butthurt af

Stay lonely m9

For a quick quirky dungeon Adventureland: 4 Against Darkness. Thry have some one shot PDFs that are good fun.

I want a pair of gfs like them.

I should run a campaign with them as characters.

>He has no friends to play games with

I have two groups and still solo, so I can play THREE games a week. Checkmate, loser.

Thanks for the reply and the links!

Don't bully those that are different.

Your imagination requires a guide, mine doesn't.

I tried playing the flash mythic thing solo one time using Savage Worlds.

That shit was extremely exhausting. I mean I got some cool stuff out of it, but holy shit having to interpret vague nonsense and manage everything left me mentally drained after a pretty short time.

What do you guys do about that? Or is it just me?

How much are you rolling? Are you doing binary questions or are you using "Detail?"

Could you maybe log a play session, perhaps? I'd show you how often I refer to the GME for resolution, but I write my logs in a purely narrative format.

Similar here, but it's the same kind of exhausted feel I get from GMing. It's basically that you're running your brain's creative centers hard for an extended period. All I can say is it seems to get easier with practice.

fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sky_Lord_(book)

Half CYOA, half tabletop game. Dirt cheap to buy online. The other Fighting Fantasy games are pretty good, too.

I find a lot maybe be due to the medium you write in. Im logging adventures in "timeless" pt 11, makes it much less exhausting to read and write because its so much easier on the eyes compared to tnr or arial.

It's not just you, I can't get the hang of Mythic emulator at all.

bump

Then maybe try rpgsolo com. It's much less interpretive because of all the fancy features like quest generation and npc generation.

One on one with a rogue can be so much fun. You can really get the feel of predator and prey.

>personal integrity
heh, who among us hasn't cheated on occasion.

troll just lent us legitimacy, we are now a legitimate general. keeps it bumped, too.

will totally try this.

I'll check it out. thanks!

Gonna post some links here

>plus.google.com/communities/116965157741523529510 Google Plus Group for Solo Roleplayers
>groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Mythic_Role_Playing/conversations/topics Yahoo Group for Mythic

thelonecrusader.com/ talks about turning commercial party modules into solo adventures.

Link?

I have this, and the dwarf expansion, both pretty good.

Thank you! I've been trying to find that the other day and couldn't figure out what it was called.

Anyone has a link to the random GURPS book picker? IIRC it picked 3 books at random for you.
Found this while looking for it, btw:
weirdrealm.com/cgi-bin/webdb/campaign.cgi

I had no idea how useful lists like this might be. At first glance it's just banal twists and elements, but sometimes, when I carried away by abstract ideas

I'll try again.

a Yahtzee-like solo board game.

you know, people like you are the reason I want to play solo

How so?

Solo roleplaying is gaming with someone you love

For solo systesting I go with a deck of cards, assign 14 random encounters and put small spins on them, and what I draw is what my character/party encounters.

Kinda goes like this; 1- 1 trap, 2- 1 trap + 1 monster, 3- mundane treasure, queen's a safe-haven kinda spot or a friendly village, king is a miniboss or extremely tough encounter, and so on. Simplified, diluted and quicker than some complex tables.

We went GM-less with that system, me and 2 players, and everyone was in charge of one encounter. When the encounter ends, clockwise person draws a card and a new encounter happens. The first person to "GM" was describing the general setting ("a goblin infested forest") and the other two made their encounters appropriate. Shit was fun.

I play so many D&D that I mostly solo play to do games OTHER than D&D.

rpgsolo is so very nice. Haven't had that much fun in a while.

I mostly solo RP to writefag

Writing feels too much like work to me personally. I could get by with pure imagination. Really takes me back to my times as a kid when I daydreamed and played with my toys a lot. Only this time with rules.

Also kinda surprised there are other weirdos like me on Veeky Forums. Solo rp is niche as hell.

I'm glad I could help, friendo.

For me, writing just flows as a result of my imagination. I just like to have everything chronicled. Music also helps a lot in keeping the writing interesting.

For combat, I'll go with either DoW OST, Chaos Gate OST, or Judas Priest's Painkiller sans vocals.

For just walking around I'll use this "soundpad" with a variety of matching tones
ttaud.io/2cbw8AZ

posting something a bit more sci fi themed.

I play solo all the time.
Keeps turning into ERP for some inexplicable reason though.

I think one of my players has a thing for me.

Just write a frikken book.

Well that's something, I guess.

But where's the challenge in that, user?

>tfw can finally play GURPS.

You spend nights navigating around google maps pretending to shoot people?

That's pretty sad isn't it.

>playing a tabletop RPG with yourself

Jesus christ that's so depressing

Veeky Forums is pathetic enough as it is, but at least it's social. When you remove the social aspect you have truly abandoned all hope.

what's the functional difference between that and playing Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale?

>at least it's social. When you remove the social aspect you have truly abandoned all hope.

So anytime i play a rpg or dungeon crawler i've lost all hope?

Well, yeah, because you're closest thing to social interaction is "Report to my base as soon as possible, we'll bang okay?" and twenty minutes angsting over lacking a heart or light and darkness

What social aspect of life are you engaged in right now, user? You have truly abandoned all hope...

I've engaged in about three games of D&D a week.

Yeah by yourself.

>TFW when you get BTFO by a namefag

We've already gone over this, mateys. You're a bit late to the fishing hour.

>what's the functional difference between that and playing Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale?

Nothing at all. He's just being a spaz.

Is anyone here good with flash? I want to go about modifying the Mythic emulator to include new adjectives and adverbs, but I wouldn't know where to begin. I have Professional, but how would I modify its "database" of words?

Yeah freaks who play single player video games are scum too.

Those who don't play solo games don't have to make themselves feel like they're a Real Boy by ragging on people who enjoy the solo experience too. It's like they learned that there's a retort to those who say playing TRPGs is "unhealthy" and have to trot it out every time the subject is halfway appropriate. We get it - you're such a loser that you have to puff up that you have one checkmark to your name. Chill out.

Any recommendations for solo wargames?

Anything by Two hour Wargames, who did Nuts!(which still doesn't have the Pacific expansion in the trove), Rally Round The King, Long Rifle, and the 5150 series.

I also enjoy logic puzzles and sudoku. Have you gone into convulsions yet?

Anything by Minden. They have simple yet addicting solo wargames.

For me, I love the puzzle of it. In many TTRPGs I've want to explore some part of the dungeon more closely because I think there's something we can get there, but the rest of the party urges me to move on, because the DM has made them squirrelly. Playing solo I can take my time and explore every last thing.

I think the hate is a game, along the lines of the "forever alone" chiding and "become a wizard by avoiding women" meme. I was raised under very conservative religious rules that prohibited premarital sex, so I was halfway there already.

That's sort of the draw for me too. I enjoy exploration and social interactions more than the average gamer, and only get to indulge when 1x1 gaming with a friend who's also into it or when I play solo, when I can linger as long as I like in whatever's interesting me without disrupting the fun of the others.

>Play D&D with friends, enjoy it
>Try to play something else, friends refuse to touch it, recruiting people online is impossible as they refuse to follow up
>Can only fantasize what playing or running a campaign would be like
>Get tempted to revert back to PF/5E every day

Wait, there are solo wargames>?!?!

The fuck?! I need to know more.

there's a whole subgenre of them. If you're looking for something more boardgame-y there's the Field Commander series (Alexander/Rommel/Napoleon/Nimitz), for Air combat there's the Hornet Leader series, with spinoffs (the Cthulhu expansion being either the worst or best thing) and Mercenary Air Squadron, and probably a lot more I'm not aware of.

How is the 5150 series?

Also the all things Zombie looks pretty fun, Id like to give it a try, does anyone have like the based PDF for it? Id be willing to give a copy of "This is not a Test" Post Apoc Wargame PDF in return.

>minden_games.homestead.com/
>twohourwargames.com/
>onepagerules.wordpress.com/

>How is the 5150 series?
fucked if I know. Not keen on buying the chain reaction system a 3rd time and I can't find the pdfs anywhere

Solo wargames have existed for as long as there have been wargames. It's a lot like chess -- sometimes the only way to get better is to sit down and play both sides, to really analyze your own game.
(Plus there are dedicated solo wargames, too.)

This thread in a nutshell

youtube.com/watch?v=9IYRC7g2ICg

I love this short and Geri had a great time. I should try a solo rpg some time.

only really played it 2 or 3 times. Games last less than 10 minutes.

It no sadder than playing any computer game on your own. Only difference is you get to roll dice and walk around a city or place you've never been to

I should really give my brothers copy of Night Dragon a go then.

Same.

A damned good game.

> If you don't get to Norway before turn 32 is over, you perish in the cold Northern
European Winter.

kek tis good to get back to the safety of balmy norway