Play game

>Play game
>This comes on the table
>Don't know what it is
>Gets explained
>Is really interested in giving it a whirl
>It's never used
>Decide to do a really scary scene and then pick up the card myself

What reactions did you have towards this?

"X-card, fuck yeah! Take it to the edge."

I've never x'd my own scene before, although I have been known to push an early scene hard to that an x-card actually happens in front of a new player.

I was seriously thinking of adopting them as a red cards for plays about to attempting min max bullshit.

>What reactions did you have towards this?
"Oh man, I bet there are going to be a ton of shitty bait threads on Veeky Forums about this"

Just go with yellow and red flags and toot a whistle a couple of times in quick succession to announce it. Yellow for warnings, red for penalties.

Why not dress like a soccer referee too?
>Yellow Card, Red Card, Whistle
>Offside Flag for IC in OOC and vice versa

I can get behind this.

W-what are X-cards, anons?

Are there any good sport RGPs?

Maybe something that a combination of 80 teen sport movies and roller ball.

It plays like blood bowl only you get use rerolls for stuff like 'old mentor advice flash back' or 'got to save the youth club'

I thought they were something cool like the DM writes out some developments to a scene or action that would spice a game up, and if a player rolls a 20 or something they get to choose from the few cards, all turned face down.

A quick google though indicates they're there for people in the game to pick up if the game goes somewhere they don't like. Basically if it delves into a magical realm and they're unhappy, they pick up the card and it's supposed to signal to stop things.

At least I think that's how it works. I prefer my idea better.

Not sure about RPGs. They make great miniature and boardgames, though.

RPGs tend to be character-focused, and character stuff, despite that fact that players themselves can have a lot of shit going on, tend to happen outside of the field/arena/venue.

Nothing wrong with min-maxing m8. It's a game, you might as well play it well and be competent at the mechanics.

Tumblr trigger warnings in card form.

>I don't like thing but am too much of a faggot to actually converse with other people to voice my issues

If a white male looks at your PC you show the card and the GM expels the player for rape

Obligatory mention that X Cards were originally designed for convention games played with strangers.

Again if you can't function in society to that extent you should get help rather than bring this bullshit into others' entertainment time

I don't care about the use of these as trigger warnings (I actually don't understand how they work - does the game narrative just change? does the player sit it out?) but I really like the idea of having some cards or other hidden things sitting there that can be tapped if some things happen during play, in admittedly quite a board game-ish way.

Simply being upfront about what's in the game/module seems more sensible

Tools of Ignorance.

Why do you assume that anyone who uses an X Card is an emotionally crippled mess toppling under a stuff breeze? Is the idea of someone being uncomfortable with or not enjoying specific kinds of content somehow alien to you? Is this somehow fundamentally different from motioning a GM who's prattled on about the decorum of the room for five minutes to move on?

Obviously, but at that point we're just adding trigger warnings. IMO, with the brunt of the responsibility already on the GM, I feel it's more reasonable to give the players with the problem the tools to manage it than it is to expect the GM to anticipate what a hypothetical player could possibly take issue with.

I found out that they're really useful to use during ERP. It can really break the flow to just explain that a certain something isn't your thing, so just tapping is an easy way to let others know you're not interested in that.

Wonder wonder, safewords work outside of bdsm

>What reactions did you have towards this?

>I feel it's more reasonable to give the players with the problem the tools to manage it
Yes, we call that tool language.

Ah, yes, please tell me how much you prefer explaining your neurosis to complete strangers to simply holding up a card and being done with it.

Not the guy you're replying to, but it's not exactly difficult to say "Excessively gory descriptions makes me uncomfortable, can we please move on?"

You're not some mute who can't talk, generally. No need to use their tools.

No one's saying it's difficult (or at least I'm not), but the card is faster and easier still. A minute of trying to get the GM's attention and explaining the situation can be turned into five seconds of holding a card up. It's a small improvement, but an improvement is still an improvement.

>Are there any good sport RGPs?
I wish.

I remember the Storypath cards. The only ones they did were Horror and Intrigue.

My players love them.

Most of those people don't actually know what being triggered is like. they just pretend to be socially sensitive and afraid of words that mean things they don't like.

Sane people use safewords and give their GM's blacklists.

Actually, I use a whiteboard.

They're a therapy technique used so that someone who is panicking too much to talk can signal their panic attack to the room. They've been adapted to RPG play where they are laid out and explained to be that but usually just work as conversation starters for "here's what to do if things go too far."

A lot of "elfgame" players make fun of them for either being useless or seeking to obtain a tactical advantage because most of those games don't really require it outside of pure "That Guy/That DM" behaviors.

However a lot of "storygame" players use them because the content of those games is more likely to come closer to real-life traumas and people are going to be more likely to steer closer, but not too close, to those topics.

I enthusiastically endorse them because they reconcile a paradox I have as a DM: I want to play extremely rough in that I want my bad guys hate-able, my horrors horrific, and my injustices intolerable, but I also want my friends to feel safe OOC and have a good time. The X card helps me do this because I know as I'm going into graphic details about the autopsy report from the latest victim of a serial killer who kidnaps waitresses and forces them to mutilate themselves and everyone is either wincing or making faces of determined justice(tm) that I'm playing a hot hand, but if I start to hit an area that would go un-fun for a player they can signal me and I can re-direct it.

Ironically this makes coping with said issues less of a problem and less intrusive. If said player taps a card and says "let's not talk about her teeth" that can literally be the end of it, I can just swap in a different form of body horror and keep going.

Is that who I think it is?