EDH/Commander General

Frosted Flakes edition

Last thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/combat-math-isnt-hard-its-impossible/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Post em

Looking at some new commanders to mix things up a bit, I currently play Riku combo and it is rather fine tuned so it pilots itself.

I am looking to avoid blue in my new deck and "I win" combos.

I have lined up a few "fun" commanders, no idea about the last two since they haven't been spoiled yet.

Feedback or suggestions would be great.

When will they unban Braids? I need my bae back.

Not much changed. Added Recruiter of the Guard to Roon and she's SO GOOD.

Sorry, it's not "fun" enough.

she'll get unbanned when you can't swamp, sol ring, swamp t2 and cast her

>grenzo
It's monored, and dependent on ramp, meaning that you probs gonna have a rough time. Decks propped up by artifact support with no artifact synergy have it hard. Could be fun enough in a casual meta.
>shattergang
I've heard complaints that its slow. It should be highly responsive, I imagine, as you constantly have to make choices based on the state of the board.
>squirmy wormy
people swear by the get huge life, tho i have my doubts
>renegade girl feldon
she is the prophesied izzet artificer general; even if she is not very strong, her deck will be disgusting
>stern lady magoo
Jeskai or azoriuss, control either way. I don't love that, but your mileage may vary.

>not having turn one braids with recursion.
>can't even into singleton vintage

I want to hug S

Dilemma;

Me; Wants to make mill deck, knowing mill is a weak subtype. Considering putting an infinite or two in as a wincon.

BUT; Nobody in my playgroup runs infinites, there's a ghave in my group too with tons of doubling effects but no actual infinites.

Do i build without the one or two infinites I planned on putting in or just let it rock.

note; the infinites I was considering are three piece though they share one piece.

He is wonderful.

In other news:

What the FUCK is this card saying to me right now? I do not understand
>the rest onto the battlefield
The rest of the 9? The other creature you exiled, if indeed you did exile it?

Does this card dig 10 and give your opponent the best of 2 creatures, or dig 10 and give your opponent 1 creature of the 10 cards?

IT JUST SAYS SHUFFLE YOUR LIBRARY AND EXILE TWO OF THE CARDS, WHERE ARE THE OTHERS?

If you put them in user, just know you're opening the floodgates.

It's interesting how playgroups that exist within a bubble evolve around changes. The group that I first started playing with after just getting into the game a few years back was strictly kitchen table. No card set limitations, play with whatever you have, pull cards from boosters and at MOST buy a few cool looking Timmy singles from the LGS.

I came in having already played other card games before MTG and without second thought built a fine tuned deck out of singles I ordered online, because that's what seemed normal to me. My deck routinely dominated the competition and I got called a cheater for ordering cards online. After loling in their faces and continuing to do it, you'd be amazed at how quickly the group power creep spiked.

Guess I corrupted all of them.

The moment somebody gets infinite milled, you're focused forever as that one combo guy.

It isn't worth it; never be that guy to bring infinite combo to the group. You will be archenemy, and you don't even actually have a strong strategy.

Just rock mill with a side of reanimator, and don't forget to pack your jester's cap effects to eat eldrazi titans

You're exiling two cards and your opponent gets one. The other 8 are shuffled back into your deck. I'm guessing the last line is what confused you as 9/10 times you'll only be putting one creature onto your field and the way it reads almost sounds like you put more (and if you weren't sure where the other 8 went I can see how this would be confusing). But the reason it's there is because the opponent can choose not to put any of the exiled creatures on their field, in which case you get "the rest," which this time is two instead of one.

My Pile of Shit

considering Queen Marchesa for my next deck but eh

What absurd situation would involve an opponent so desperately not wanting a creature that they would give it to you?

What menace are they protecting from with that "may" clause? Will this card become the scourge of Oath of the Druids deck? Will this card be paired to some devastating effect with rakdos charm? Did they so fear the notion of giving green a harmless offering?

case in point

this card is pretty terrible imotbqhfam

chance to whiff on getting more than 1 creature and your opponent gets the pick of the best one

its shit

>considering Queen Marchesa for my next deck but eh
Same. It's the three colors while not in green. I'm not made of money. I'm not gonna spend a small fortune just to make the deck playable. Fuck land prices.

>Zedruu can't even play it
Might just be the worst spell since Mudhole.
Hell, Mudhole can at least shut off Crucible shenanigans.

i already have a few pieces but yeah i don't know if i can stomach forking out money for more land bases, i like to build the decks but its a lot easier when i can just swap them out from other decks

>mudhole
It could be sideboard tech against loads of lands strategies, even. Not great, but a valid enough card for red.

What the FUCK is the point of Dubious Challenge? This card, as near as I can tell, has a 95% chance of fucking you in the ass.

>either need creatures that are good for you and are seriously negative for your opponents(so, nothing I've ever heard of) OR

>you are some kind of big creature of deck that is absolutely shitting removal or bounce, preferably repeatably, the latter of which suggests an ETB deck, which suggests that you just fucking gave your opponent value

WHAT IS THIS SHIT

>Nemata described as "fucking terrifying"
Genuinely curious about this deck

Would you guys allow proxies in casual games? So long as the deck wasn't full of the most ridiculous cards ever printed of course but just a couple so you don't have to sell your kid to build the deck you really want.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/combat-math-isnt-hard-its-impossible/

12 tokens coming at you.
You have 4 blockers.
You block 4 and 8 1/1s coming at you.
Nemata sacks those 4.
The 8 remaining each hit you for 5, you take 40 and die.

Just a relatively moderate number of tokens, the amounts that can be amassed in a round late game, become a lethal threat. Green mana doublers and green ramp and green token doublers help the deck get out of hand very, very quickly.

Also fun fact, green draw tends to be based on having a lot of creatures or big creatures. The deck excels at both.

>play my 150 dollar self-made timmy deck on xmage against the typical 2000 dollar netdecks that you see on xmage
>win like half of my 4-man ffa games there
>play the same deck against my casual ass group who also run 150 dollar casual decks
>get my ass handed to me 9/10 times

what the heck

no politics you become neutural, then present a threat, they gang up on you

In one meta youre not a threat, in the other you are a legitimate player to target. Finding a way to not get hit and have your shit removed means you get to win in this format, even if it's because people are too smug to think your deck can beat theirs.

This is hilarious.

I always wanted to make an ultra-janky Ghave deck on spore token-generating creatures and nemata fits it perfectly.

can you write this in english

people tend to take me seriously in xmage too, i think it's just that it's only my group that runs a shitload of spot removal in every deck no matter what. in a typical xmage game, i can usually get most of my creatures to stick around for 2 or 3 turns. in my own group, i'll be lucky if i get to swing once with each creature

Kind of a dick move, user. That's like intentionally prolapsing a nice Catholic girl who agrees to anal.

>spot removal

why

why what

why spot removal in commander

i don't know dude

obviously it's working out for them since i rarely win a game with them

This is how my Eldrazi Rakdos deck works, whenever I play a new group they always assume I'm playing casual, then I just wait until most of them burn their removal on each other, drop Rakdos and next turn and one swing later I have 7-8 Eldrazi ready to annihilate 16 on the swing and their hands are gone. In my normal group they KNOW what I'm going for and I have to be far more careful or they annihilate me, cause they KNOW what is coming.

>not packing instant speed spot removal to save your ass on an alpha strike or to take out a mondo huge threat

Well, i guess if it works...

Still, spot removal is only good in commander if it's repeatable, like Scion Teysa.

This kills the format.

I feel that running 1 or 2 spot removal spells is basically always worth it so you can tutor it up if something that absolutely demands to be answered hits.

Day 1 banned in duel commander, a big "kick me" sign in multiplayer.

Great win con for life gain decks. Wait until you have 300 life and drop this and kill shit.

Hopefully the EDH centric artifacts being printed will actually cause player to pack more enchantment and artifact hate. Pretty tired of seeing Green decks only pack Reclamation Sage and Bane of Progress.

You just know people will drop this when they have over 50 life and try to use it right away

QUICK

Is this insanely going up in price or not? Should I buy a playset to sell it in 5 months from now?
Not for commander but Modern or something

>not for commander

Then ask the modern thread, fuckwit.

Would I be cheating if I don't double-sleeve my basic lands? I've finally gotten around to building a physical deck but I didn't order enough sleeves. I don't know if you can tell the difference as they haven't arrived yet and the backs of the large sleeves aren't transparent.

You'll be able to tell the difference between which cards in your deck are and are not double sleeved. And typically if an opponent can see your deck they can see some cards rise slightly more than others. It would probably be best if you double sleeved your entire deck.

Alright, guess I'll order some more.

>new Feldon deck averages like 4.3 CMC
This feels dirty but I'm never really hardcasting anything

Are you running enough driscard?

Yes, lots of wheel effects and looting

there might be some shenanigans you want to do with it. do not underestimate effects like that because they can always be built around.

are you serious? at my lgs people build with a shitload of utility creatures with destroy artifact/enchantment like effects plus all the possible tutors.

BANE?
>Captcha is select all airplanes

I know I'm super tardy to the party, but anyways:
If I'm understanding the situation correctly, you did all this in a single combat.
If you grant first strike to a creature after first combat damage step, it's not gonna do any damage in second step.

So, I'm thinking about doing a $100 Blind Seer deck with nothing but old bordered cards. Think it could be fun? Or at least worth a damn?

This is incorrect. If a creature gains first strike after the first strike combat damage step and did not deal damage in that step, it still deals damage during the regular combat damage step. (702.7c in the comp rules, if you're interested.)

Who are the two last characters?

Just do High Tide Time Spiral.

We don't know yet. We just have the art.

Another reason Sol Ring needs to be banned.

what is the most broken set after urza's saga and mirrodin?

ABUR

>ywn T3 Reanimate Braids and It That Betrays

She should have been at least 5 or more to cast.

I want to be an arms dealer and make the group kill each other while I sit back and reap the benefits

Which commander is best for this

>solution ring needs to be banned because it could allow this other banned card to be in play really fast

Gahiji

>get on an xmage ffa
>guy plays liliana stax
>slows the game down to a grind and has nothing on the board besides his gay ass planeswalker
>forces everyone to sac everything by recurring a fleshbag marauder
>ask him if he has a wincondition or if he intends to make the game just last forever
>14:58: 2gig: now I'll kill you last :-)
>3 turns later get the upper hand on him with a token generator and he can't force me to sac shit anymore
>he goes afk for 15 minutes
>comes back to cast a creature after 2 players have already left
>alt tab back into the game and ask him if hes casting anything else
>he goes afk again

could it be that stax players are annoying babies???????

>Time Spiral is $30 now
I mean, I'll see if I can't fit in in. My budget is more of a challenge than an actual restriction.

Zedruu. Give people threats and draw cards/gain life in the process

No its complete shit.

This card is only great if a creature for you would be far better than it would for your opponent, like if you run a tribal deck.

People like you are the reason johnny combo gets to win turn four

>Vorinclex is 23$ now
Wew lad, I remember picking up mine for barely anything back in the day.

All the Praetors are expensive now. Urabrask was like $4 a few months ago

What the fuck? Why wouldn't you run spot removal along with wipes?

Oh damn, that's actually pretty cool. I seem to remember wrong, I should've consulted rulebook beforehand.

I remember getting all five Praetors for $20 maybe four years ago. I definitely miss that.

Is the Shadowborn Demon deck viable, a cousin of mine let me rummage through his collection, found that he had a ton of them and he said I could take his 23 Shadowborn Apostles. So With those and my 8 I have 31 Shadowborn Apostles.

How can I best abuse these guys? I heard that Atheros, God of Passage is a deck but does it actually work? What do your guys think?

The "one for one for removal is bad in commander" meme like mana dorks

I feel like you'd have to be real good at shit-talking and being a fucking weasel in order to pilot Gahiji well, and sadly I don't think I'd be up to the task

Are there even any good Demon targets for it?

For a long time I was the only White mage in our playgroup. No one carried instant speed artifact/enchantment removal in their decks cause they always assumed I would deal with it. Thankfully, that's changed.

God I wish Krosan Grip was White

Testing Marchesa tomorrow for the first time.
JW and me are the best players in the group but the others are getting better.

Report back on your marchesa deck. I'm hearing mostly positive things about her as a commander. Sort of a weird pillowfort with occasional hard hits it sounds like.

I've never played black outside of a five color deck, but I'm considering jumping ship from inktreader to witch-maw. So for black, I was gonna make granny sengir in an almost solely -x/-x and killspell deck. My only win conditions will be dingus staff or eternal thirst. I don't expect to win, but have any of you ever constructed a killspell only deck, and if so, was it fun?

you really can't think that's the only reason why people want to ban sol ring

card is so busted

if you like mono u control then you'll probably like mono b control

they play almost exactly the same except B has cabal coffers

First of all, Toshiro is a million times better for that sort of thing and second, yes. The deck will most likely be Voltron lite with every instant speed kill spell ever but you'll have a blast.

I know full well why people want to ban Sol ring. I'm just having fun laughing at the people complaining until it finally is.

It will be pretty interesting if it does get banned. Other unique mana rocks may see a slight jump in price. I expect some decks to be ever so slightly slower too of course.

Pic sort of not related?

A friend made this one, its okish. There aren't any really good demons to sacrifice for as they are mostly just big beaters so its not that useful. You'll find you just tutor the same big bombs every game. The only interesting mechanic is the Aetheros "give up 3 life or give me my shit" trigger which goes off 6 times per offering. The problem is that the deck is clunky, once you have 6-8 of them either on the field or in your hand they can become serious dead draws.

But get things like black market or the cleric that makes them free, Aetheros, and someone with low life and you can easily drop an insane amount of demons, but then your left with just demons.

My friend has a deck like this built around Ob Nixilis, Unshackled. It kills shit and makes Ob fucking huge. Not particularly enjoyable to play against, but that's partly on me because I usually don't run a ton of creatures in my decks. I have started packing more counters/protection since he built it though

Now THAT is some nice EDH bait, this set seems to have a lot of them. I'm liking it!

A friend runs that same setup in our group, Athreos with Demons and Grave Pact etc. It's tremendously boring to play against.

Depends on the player to be honest.
In my experience, most combo/control players are the biggest babies and stax players have been pretty fun, even if their deck is powerful enough to be infuriating.
There's a big amount of babies in snowflakes, as they complain for every good/expensive card played and are "muh imagination" in general.
Well, mana dorks are good in a certain meta. Creature wipes are really common in my meta, artifact/enchantment ones not so. Even MLD is more common, so it's mostly the sausage mana that's most relevant.
That said, I run a piece or two removal for every permanent type in every deck.
/blog

This and the banharmonic whachimahuchima are going to be the only artifacts in my omnath deck. This sets artifacts are just that good.

i jokingly refer to every card i dont like as "pay2win" and my group gets genuinely upset when i do it

they also get upset when i LITERALLY focus them down (when i'm playing xenagos and i can LITERALLY one-shot players)

>one example
>could it be that stax players are annoying babies???????

To be honest, since I had a taste of stax, I can only theorycraft grindy, oppressive lists.

Just watching the rest of the table struggle and squirm while smokestack gains more and more soot counters... it's the best. I especially love meekstone, and winter orb.

It really pushes the rest of the decks on the table to their limits! Topdecking for a single land.