/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Falmeris Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus or husbandos except for Calcelmo of Markarth and Kurt Kuhlmann.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa: >> 49163943

Other urls found in this thread:

imperial-library.info/sites/default/files/forum_archives/Reman_I.html
gamefaqs.com/boards/913818-the-elder-scrolls-iii-morrowind/43892063
uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Hlaalu_Hortator
theassimilationlab.com/forums/files/file/1060-previous-patches-unofficial-morrowind-patch/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Previous Kalpa:
Fixed.

So, where did the Falmer come from?
They were Aldmeri settlers in Skyrim, but when and why did they become distinct from other elves?
Did they intermarry with the Nedes?

Who says they're Aldmeri settlers just like Dwemer and Chimer were?

What were they, then?

I'm just about done with that Falmeris dictionary thing I posted at the end of the last thread.
I've just got got to run it through a word-by-word comparison to Ayleidoon, since the two are so close.

Falmer are an ancient offshoot of Old Ehnnofey, just like Dwemer and Ayylmao.

So was the blinding of the Falmer an experiment, or to purposely enslave them?

The way the stone makes it sound, it has more to do with metaphysics, but that could be propaganda.

For an experiment you only need a few subjects, the Dwemer took in almost all of the remaining Falmer population and fed them mushrooms that made them blind.

Why not both? Two birds, one stone.

The stone clearly suggests that there was some higher purpose in it. What purpose could that have been? We don't know, but there were some interesting suggestions in the last thread.

Enslavement, mainly. The stone is just propaganda, trying to sell it to the Falmer.

Sensory deprivation ae Amaranth.

Blind slaves sound awful. They'd be stumbling around too much to do anything useful.

Better than having an entire population of non-crippled slaves. Seeing Falmer might revolt, blind Falmer are harmless. Or they WERE harmless, until they adapted.
Really, the entire enslavement of the Falmer was kind of a fuckup by the Dwemer anyway.

Hey guys, I'm new to this thread.

What do you guys think the Dwemer are doing right now?

Orbiting.

Enjoying an eternity being part of their Brass God.

I think Numidium wandered into the ocean.

Well, not really. Slaves still need place to sleep, food to eat etc, and when they can't even work they're completely useless. It would be better to just straight up kill them than to enslave them.

Being dead; their souls fused into the skin of the Numidium.

Chilling with Fyr.

I've got a little crackpot theory which has probably resulted from my lack of understanding of TES metaphysics, but I'll share it anyway.

The Dwemer, just like the thalmor in the fourth era, tried to ascend mortality. Meanwhile, they made the Falmer descend, to see where that would lead. The idea of ascending mortality might even be a complete misconception of creation. After all, the mortals on Mundus have achieved a lot, creating great cities and empires. Why is some kind of spirit plane where you don't really do anything any better?

The Falmer are descending mortality, making a 180 degree spin on the path of mortality, which is in fact an evolution of their original form and not a devolution like the Altmer thought. Thus, devolution brings you closer to leaving Mundus.

You don't need your slave to see if their job is to turn a rotating lever all day long. You can also use them as magicka banks. Also, you can make them breed and soul trap them. Maybe they were more cattle than slaves (like how Argonians were working for Dunmer)

Hanging out in Dwemer ruins, rubbing ectoplasm all over the place.

From what I understand, Mer aren't interested in whether being removed from the divine is evolution of devolution. They want to return to the divine. I think one book even mentions that the dwemer considered it distasteful to imply their souls are below divine more than just a step or two. The only real difference between them and Thalmor is that they only turned their science on themselves, while Thalmor want to get high on jenkem and undo the whole world.

I'm really fucking tired of store fronts. Just... tired.

Enable legacy captcha on quick reply.

Are you ready for some dank new language lore? Or, it's not new, since Kurt already translated it, but whatever.

This is an early and somewhat questionable attempt to write a dictionary of known words in Falmeris.

Falmeris doesn't appear to have a definite article word like English. This means that you won't find the word "the" in Falmeris. They likely use a suffixed definite article or no definite article. I might have to come back to this.
The usage of prepositions might also be different, often not being used. The word "av" appears to have some broad function as a preposition.
The basic syntax is mainly SVO. Adjectives go in front of nouns.
Plural is noted by adding "i" (So Dena -> Denai), unless it ends with an s, then you add "si" (Anyamis -> Anyamissi).
These grammar notes are a bit rough, I didn't spend a lot of time on it.

Accept = Arcta
Affection = Malae
Against = Gume
And = Ye
As = Ry
Ask = Sepa
Before = Pado
Begin = Silya (TN: Note the simmilarity to "Silyanorn", meaning "Acorn" in Ayleidoon)
Bonds = Denai
Bones/Life = Anyamis (TN: Plural is "Anyamissi")
(Were) Broken/Cast down = Racuvane
By = As
Clouds = Auta (TN: Note the similarity to "Shauta" and possibly the Ayleidoon "Autaracu")
Culture/Lore/Wisdom/Secret = Agea
Darkness = Loria
(Of the) Dwemer/Dwemerian(?) = Dwemera
Earth = Sercen
Enemies = Gravuloi (TN: Note the similarity to "Gravia", meaning "Ugly" in Ayleidoon)
Eternity = Oia
Exile/Refuse = Hecta

Fear not = Abagaiavoy (TN: Imperative)
Fifteen-and-one (TN: The Daedric Princes) = Avatheledia
Final = Narilia
(The) Fruit = Cullei
(Were) Given = Calne
(The) Grace/Gifts = Gandra
Gratitude = Epegandra
Heard = Rautane
Kings (of) = Arani
Know = Malautavoy (TN: Imperative)
Machines = Buroi
Many = Ilpen
Mathematics/Power = Bala
Mercy = Darre
Molagnenseli = Steam gardens (TN: Probably "Molag-Nen-Seli", which translates into "Fire-Water-Halls")
Mora = Morae
Music = Emeratu
New = Bisia
Of/To = Av (TN: Hard to translate because usage of such words depends on semantic role)
Only = Frey
Our = Nou (TN: Possibly also Noue)
Passage/Portal = Tarn
Path/Journey = Wend
People = Meldi (TN: A little unsure about this one, as "Meldi" means "Driven" in Ayleidoon. Might mean "Refugees")
(Had) Perished/Died = Nagaiale
(The) Protection (of) = Trumbi
(The) Radiance/Light (of) = Alata
Roaring = Guntumnia
Sent = Hautalle
Sets = Gethena
Comes = Shanta
Snow-throated = Spantelepe-laelia
So = Sa
Stones = Staneia
Survived = Tarcellane
Symbol = Varlor
(Thereby) Taking(?) = Metane
Thanks = Arcten (TN: Note similarity to "Arcta")
To/Of = Va (TN: Hard to translate because usage of such words depends on semantic role)
Tones = Carelle
Unbinds = Moraga
Under = Garlis
Vision = Alasil
We = Nu
Which = Asma
Wills = Liebali
You = Sye
Your = Sou

Where does Pyroil Tar come from, and who is the absolute creative genius who thought of the name.

(For we do not believe in it) = (Rias nu nemalauta ge) (TN: Very hard to translate. Possibly the "Rias" is an auxiliary to "Nemalauta" (or visa versa), and the two form a negative construction, akin to how it works in French. For example "Rias nu nemalauta" may then mean "we (do) not" and "Ge = Believe". But this seems to suggest the Dwemeris word "Ur = Believe", which may be wrong)
(To the) = (Vey) (TN: This is the "binding" word between "Journey" and "Music", and I'm not quite sure what to translate it to. Might be connected to the Ayleidoon -voy imperative suffix)

>Ye sa sou meldi calne tarn va nou molagnenseli, ye trumbi nou bala.
>And so your people (were) given passage to our fire-water-halls, and the protection (of) our mathematics.

>Ilpen av sou meldi nagaiale as guntumnia, spantelepe-laelia arani Morae, ye sou liebali racuvane, ye nu rautane sye, ye nu hautalle nou buroi gume sou gravuloi, sa metane sye garlis.
>Many of your people (had) perished by roaring, snow-throated kings (of) Mora, and your wills (were) broken, and we heard you, and we sent our machines against your enemies, so thereby taking you under.

>Frey as gandra dwemera tarcellane sou agea, ye frey as emeratis Avatheledia carelle sou anyamissi bisia silya.
>Only by (the) grace (of the) Dwemer survived your culture, and only by (the) fifteen-and-one tones your lives new begin.

>Nu hecta sou arcten, rias nu nemalauta ge. Nu hecta sou epegandra, rias ne nemalauta ge.
>We refuse your thanks, (for we do not believe in it). We reefu your gratitude, (for we do not believe in it).

>Nu frey sepa sye arcta varlor denai, cullei noue staneia.
>We only ask you accept (the) symbol (of our) bonds, (the) fruit (of) our stones.

>Ye ry sou alasil auta, ry loria shanta, abagaiavoy.
>And as your vision clouds, as darkness comes, fear not.

>Malautavoy fey nou darre ye alata nou malae, asma moraga sou anyamis av sercen pado, ye gethena sou wend narilia vey emeratu sou oia bisia.
>Know only our mercy and (the) radiance (of) our affection, which unbinds your lives to (the) earth before, and sets your path final (to the) music your eternity new.

TL;DR: Falmeris is almost like a dialect of Alyeidoon.

He comes from Aramco.

>Who says they're Aldmeri settlers just like Dwemer and Chimer were?
>Falmer are an ancient offshoot of Old Ehnnofey, just like Dwemer and Ayylmao.
>TL;DR: Falmeris is almost like a dialect of Alyeidoon.
We might be onto something here. Falmer and Ayleids come from the same stock just like Chimer and Altmer do.

>just like Chimer and Altmer do.
I meant 'are' instead of 'do', had a bit too much Sujamma. All the white in the Falmer structures in the Forgotten Vale actually reminded me of Ayleid architecture.

We all got what you meant, pham.

As for the architecture, I'd be willing to say that there's a very definite possibility that that's just what most Aldmeri architecture looks like, but it's still something to consider.

So Falmer could be descendants of (proto)Ayleids that migrated north of the Jerall Mts.

Coming back to the first question, why did they become a distinct race?
Adaptation? Mixing with Nedes? Some metaphysical reason?
Race is linked to religion in the TES universe, so maybe that?

I think it's Auriel's influence. The clashes between the Nords and Falmer were essentially the clashes between the people of Auriel and the people of Shor.

Stop with the mixing. They didn't mix.

I'd say it's a bit more complicated than that, in that there probably wasn't a definite point. It's like asking when did the Kothringi become a race.

Kothringi are an offshoot of Nedes in my headcanon.

is also part of my Kothringi headcanon.

Now give me your headcanons anons, about any subject.

Todd Howard is the Godhead.

The idea of the 'honey nut treat' is pretty similar to baklava, come to think of it.

What nuts would Nords use for it? Ironwood?

>Not MK
I hate to say it, but he's as close as there is to a TES Bible.

Tower.

Vivec is based on MK's experiences with Todd, Todd is the dreamer, it's why we still love him after all the lies. He needs a following to keep the world from melding with Oblivion.

>They didn't mix.
You know very well they do.
Most human and elven races have some blood from the others running trough their veins.

But it's not what defines them as a culture, like, say, the Bretons.

Funny you should say that. I don't have the source right now, but I once read a dev interview/post where the dev called KK a living TES Bible.

>Ironwood
I had to Google to see what that is. Here in Eastern Europe we use walnuts (Juglans regia), for things like pastry fillings.

>give me your headcanons
The sacking of Thras by Bendu Olo was keikaku doori.

Kurt was the Lead Designer for most of these games.
I think I also heard that MK himself said that Kurt was behind most of the deep stuff.

It was a collaborative effort.

They're the main writers if the 1st Ed. PGE, at least. But everything is a team effort.

Off the top of my head, he also wrote "Where were you when the dragon broke". And his Hasphat Antabolis stuff is great.

Speaking of devs, as I understand it Kuhlmann and Nesmith are chief loremeisters for TES at the moment. So that's reassuring.

Hell yes!

There was one book, that, if I remember correctly, the basis of which was a series of emails between Kurt and MK making fun of how the the Dwemer appeared in some other book, or something.

>Heh, Dwemer History and Culture started off as an email from Kurt when he had left Bethesda for awhile, making fun and completely shredding the goofy Dwemer stories by Marobar Sul. (That's why it appears in Oblivion, after Kurt had returned, and not Morrowind.)
- MK

That's it.

>Now give me your headcanons anons, about any subject.
Barbas, as Creeper, armed Mehrunes Dagon's dremora forces via operating a strict on-the-septim business out of Caldera; the Nerevarine is responsible for all those weapons, scrolls, and potions the dremora had when they came through the gates.

>And his Hasphat Antabolis stuff is great.
AFAIK he doesn't have a lot to say besides how he likes to argue with Caius Cosades about the role of the invidual in history.

Did he say anything else interesting?

I'm feeling lazy today, someone please screencap and compile these, this is great.

Why would Barbas aid The Dagon?

You're in for a treat.

Fuck if I know, that's all I ever got.

The only time I talked with Hasphat so far is when you have to get that damn puzzle cube.

Start here:

imperial-library.info/sites/default/files/forum_archives/Reman_I.html

Why is this Friday evening so silent?

Because real people have jobs.

Fuck, I've just discovered I have this bug simce forever, I asked abour Curio and got the quest in my journal:

gamefaqs.com/boards/913818-the-elder-scrolls-iii-morrowind/43892063
>I just learned that, more specifically, you must first visit the Cavern of the Incarnate and get the journal entry before anyone will talk to you about becoming Hortator. (In case anyone was wondering).

uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Hlaalu_Hortator
>You can start this quest before completing The Path of the Incarnate but will be unable to finish it, since there will be no Hlaalu Hortator topic in conversation.

So I understand that I should still be able to complete when I am to become Hortator?
Sorry for asking about this here, but since the thread is slow...
Thanks in advance.

as opposed to fake ones, right?

I don't consider people who choose to not participate in society to be people.
They're pets at best.

It's weekend for Europeans already, unless you're working till 10 PM.

I think you should be able to work around it.

So, what's the deal with Ash Slaves? Why do they have a face?

Theirs didn't erupt yet.

That's what I thought but they are stronger than Ash Zombies, so I guess they are more enlightened (this is also hinted as their dialogue and spellcasting ability). Also, UESP refers to them as the lowest minions in the legions of ash creatures.

Around it, how?

Ash Slaves are lv4, Ash Zombies are 8.

My bad, Slaves are lv5.

Do you have any patches installed?

What about Ash vampìres, then?

MGSO with updated code patch and exe optimizer

>Head burst from enlightenment

So what? Slaves can attack from a range, can cast shield, can inflict disease and they have reflection. Whereas zombies just run at you and hit with their fists. They are obviously more simple.

All level 30. These are not ash monsters in the same way as others, but rather immortal kin of Dagoth Ur himself.

Think of it like this: when the Ash Slave's head bursts, it suffers some damage and gets lower stats and shit, but becomes able to evolve into an Ash Ghoul.

Huh, okay that makes sense.

I don't know how MGSO works, but could you try installing a newer version of the unofficial patch?

theassimilationlab.com/forums/files/file/1060-previous-patches-unofficial-morrowind-patch/

i feel like /esg/ has gotten a lot slower compared to early in the summer

made an interpretation of how dunmer mananauts would look like, though it looks more like a mage than anything since references are hard to find

That's cool, user.

What's with the hat
Is it a giant solar panel?
Does solar power even work in tes
Wouldn't it just be magicka power
Does that mean plants grow by magic
Can I grow a plant in the depths of the underground if I had a semi-constant feed of magic into it
Do plants even photosynthesize on nirn?
If I build a fuckass huge solar panel can I plug it into myself instead of drinking mana potions

Maybe it's just a hat

Hey guys, I'm thinking about modding Morrowind for the first time.
Basically, I just want to add the dreamer ranks and ash poets (maybe also the insane ash vampires) and associated arms/armors from Piratelord's Creatures to my game without ANY of the other creatures in the modular download.
How would I go about this, exactly?
Also, I want to make certain Sixth House creatures harder for end-game, like making each Ash Vampire a real boss fight each and every Dagoth a real challenge. Are there any lore-appropriate resistances/buffs/abilities I could tune them up with?
I'm also spitballing other ideas, but I want to start with this.

>Does solar power even work in tes
>Does that mean plants grow by magic
>Do plants even photosynthesize on nirn?
Does lasagna exist in Tamriel, and if so is it anything like ours?

Ok, I'll check that, thanks again

you've perfectly captured that telvanni swag

Is pasta even canon?

It could be.
Taking bread and pasta in very simple ways, the biggest different is having crust. I don't think there's much reason why they wouldn't have pasta.

TO
THE
VOID

Very nice, I especially like the minor details on the staff and robe.

Very nice.

Here is my first and last attempt at making TES pixel art in MS paint.