FFG and Games Workshop go their separate ways

FFG and Games Workshop go their separate ways.

>Games Workshop has been a fantastic partner for the past eight years, and we’re thrilled that we had the opportunity to work together and bring so many new and exciting games into the world. As much as we have enjoyed creating these games, our current licensing term is coming to an end.
>Beginning February 28th, 2017, Fantasy Flight Games will no longer offer for sale any games in conjunction with Games Workshop, including Talisman and all games taking place in the Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000 universes.
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-path-forward/

Games Cancelled:
• Black Crusade
• Blood Bowl: Team Manager
• Chaos in the Old World
• Chaos Marauders
• Dark Heresy
• Dark Heresy Second Edition
• Deathwatch
• Forbidden Stars
• Fury of Dracula
• Only War
• Relic
• Rogue Trader
• Space Hulk: Death Angel
• Talisman
• Warhammer: Diskwars
• Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
• Warhammer: Invasion The Card Game
• Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game
• Warhammer 40,000: Conquest
• All Fantasy Flight Supply products showing imagery licensed to Games Workshop

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=upkYQqbrjSc
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg
patents.stackexchange.com/questions/210/can-game-mechanics-be-patented
ipwatchdog.com/2016/08/15/monopoly-patent-ineligible-alice/id=71926/
digitalcommons.law.scu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1150&context=historical
ipwatchdog.com/2013/02/12/tetris-gets-permanent-injunction-against-xio/id=34996/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!JVw20QKC
mega.nz/#F!apdlzArL!-j3HfTPkpJFu_tk9H0HQ_A
strebecklaw.com/court-rules-favor-cloned-tabletop-game-no-protection-us-copyright-law/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=upkYQqbrjSc

Fuck GW, they probably think they can do a better job by themselves with their sorry excuse of games. The only ones that did the IP some degree of justice won't handle it anymore.

>Dark Heresy
>Rogue Trader
>Only War
>gone
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

That probably explains why drivethru rpg doesnt have the PDFs in store anymore.

Where am i going to get the books now?!

>I just finished my Death Watch Veteran Squad models
>They were based off of a Death Watch kill team me and my buddies made when playing the RPG
>This is what I get for buying GW models again

Good.
FFG is shitty company that makes gimmicky games with too many tokens.

And nothing of a value is lost.

Damn they really canned everything. Even Talisman! What the hell. Lucky for FFG that they have Star Wars to fall back on.

I guess we'll never see that decent, well-balanced Battlefleet Gothic game with passably prepainted models.

While this has killed any desire I had to start up the thread again, I'll keep the 40kRPG MEGA going for as long as I can.

mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

If something breaks, my 1d4chan username is ZeroSumGame, bitch about it on the talk page until I listen.

>these durn games with all their tokens are intimidating me!

Ah, licensing agreements.

Fun stuff.

>Do the IP justice

>Killed WFRP years before GW killed the setting

>In the face of despair their is always a sign for victory

Eh, I'm not really a fan of FFG's RPG with special dice.

Mostly because I loath dice pools.

Although the "theme" of those games have taken back by GW.
While the "rule" of games still consider a part of FFG's property r8?
Maybe they will retheme some of these game with Star Wars...

Republic Commando Death Watch?

Only War Storm Troopers+Clone Troopers?

I'm probably the only person who wanted it, but I'm sad we never got a Age of Sigmar RPG
It could have fleshed out the setting in a way it sorely needs, plus the idea of massive elemental realms that are beibg slowly corrupted by chaos opens the door for cool campaign ideas

Proper d100 Star Wars RPGs that don't require special dice?

Yes, please.

Its not like they're going too break down your door and burn your books. You can keep playing the games.

Because Warhammer needs even more shit posters this time about whats the better RPG systems

Yeeeah but the setting won't evolve in any cohesive way from now on. It will increasingly be on players and GM's to come up with new content, and as that goes on, the poor balance and sueisms will pile up until the setting becomes tapped out and unplayable.

"Games cancelled"

Wrong. What you'll actually find is GW putting the IP licence for these games out to tender. This only means FFG will no longer have permission to produce games in these settings - future GW plans are unaffected.

Please fact-check before peddling your sub-par reading comprehension skills.

You do know GW is still running and making 40k stuff. The setting will continue to grow.

All thats lost is the ability to buy new copies of the rule books.

>It will increasingly be on players and GM's to come up with new content,
DM for life here, my time is now

And your understanding of copyright and trademark is laughable.

GW might own the setting, but FFG owns the mechanics. Sure, there might be another Dark Heresy in the future, but any similarities it has with the current iteration of the product will be glancing at best.

For all intents and purposes, these product lines as we know them no longer exist.

Guess it's a good thing that I got too busy for Conquest the past year or so :^)

So we are going to get shitposting in the future about 40k RPGs and whats the better system

I actually thought 40k RPGs were safe from it...

>Killed WFRP years

How? They released some new RPG books for fantasy.

Maybe this'll mean a return to GW producing board games and tcgs themselves?

What he's saying is 3e was fucking garbage and killed any interest in it as a system.

Everyone just stuck to 2e.

Uuugh.

>What he's saying is 3e was fucking garbage

Can you elaborate?

.... Does the mega have latest issued errata?

Might be worth saving given the FFG will blow them way in Feb.

I noticed what happened to the Star Wars by WotC

Probably, they have been doing a bunch of boardgames already.

ha ha ha, NO

I tried reading the rules for Armada and it was a massive clustrefuck. I still can't figure out what token should I push, pull, rotate, put inside and put aside. It could be a lot easier if FFG didn't had a fucking token fetish.

Game rules aren't subject to copyright or trademarks. Specific wording(such as tapping for mana from MtG) is.

Another user here, but the 3rd edition is more of elaborate board game than a roleplaying system - it has tons of gimmicky dice, character sheet is made of collection of reference cards, and has really bizarre combat system etc.
Overall the system that might be nice for some vidya with all the mechanics automated but is unfun pain in the ass when you try to manage it in dice and paper.

Seconds - SECONDS - on Google.
>patents.stackexchange.com/questions/210/can-game-mechanics-be-patented

Patents are separate from copyright.

AFAIK, yes.

Okay, I'll hold your fucking hand.
>ipwatchdog.com/2016/08/15/monopoly-patent-ineligible-alice/id=71926/
>digitalcommons.law.scu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1150&context=historical
>ipwatchdog.com/2013/02/12/tetris-gets-permanent-injunction-against-xio/id=34996/

Mechanics are patentable. Novel or unique mechanics (things beyond shuffling, drawing, having a hand of cards etc...) are not bound under common copyright but all other mechanics are. This was tested and upheld in Tetris vs Xio, and now has multiple precedents.

Now is the time to bow out gracefully.

>Cancelled Games
>Warhammer
>Warhammer
>Warhammer
>Warhammer
>Warhammer
>Fury of Dracula
>Warhammer
>Warhammer
>Wait, back the fuck up.

Seriously? Fury of Dracula is the fucking shit.

Who knew it was GW?

"Judge Wolfson took a detailed look at both the Tetris and Mino games in an effort to identify those items that were protected under the law, and there were a number of things that stood out in the Judge’s view. First of all, when placed side by side, various screenshots of the two games were just about impossible to differentiate. The Court stated (and I love this quote, by the way) that “if one has to squint to find distinctions only at a granular level, then the works are likely to be substantially similar.” Moreover, Judge Wolfson spoke to the many elements of both games that were hard to distinguish, some of which included the look, color and shape of the game bricks; the movement/rotation of the pieces; the way the game pieces could be put together to form a complete line; the exact size of the playing area; and other specific design decisions that Xio had copied."

But yeah, the copyright is totally protecting the mechanics and not the look and the feel.

It sorta doesn't matter.

Does FFG like traditional RPG (I.e. d100 or similar single die type for success vs. Specialized dice roll RPGs as they do now) to file off the serial numbers to release a new game using the mechanics involved?

I'd say no.

Fucking HOW?! I thought Dracula would be well an truly in public domain by this stage. How did Gee Dubs wrangle that? Did they fund the game or have it produced under their license? Seems out of left-field.

GW published the original version of the game in 1987. FFG licensed it for both 2nd and 3rd editions.

>Fucking HOW?!
Mickey Mouse Law
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

I kinda expected this after FFG picked up Star Wars. SW will bring in non-gamers to buy your products, and while 40k is popular in gamer circles it doesn't have much cross-over appeal.

Well... Veeky Forums's Deathwatch 2e when?

Hopefully GW licenses out 40k to someone else. The 40k RPGs are a bit too rules heavy for my liking (I'll play them, but won't GM) and DH2s aptitudes make me think that FFG is afraid of letting players have the freedom of a classless system.

The thing I don't understand is why this means stopping all sales of the existing product lines. Keeping the digital versions for sale hurts nobody. Taking them down just gets people who would buy them to pirate them instead.

lol nobody's gonna play your 40k heartbreaker faggot, just give up. it's a dead game. move on.

dracula is in the public domain, the game fury of dracula isn't. gw published the first edition back in the late 80s

I would imagine their third edition is different enough from the first edition that they could just rename it and be fine, but I'm not an expert in legal issues

>GW
>Being anywhere nearly as good at lore and setting as FF

Building a company around a single IP you don't own is a dumb idea. They could probably make a deal with the mouse over a marvel rpg

lol, kill yourself retard.

Huh.

>themoreyouknow.jpeg

> See this at first, think it's a hypothetical discussion
>google to check
>It's actually happening

So does this mean all the OOP 40k stuff Fantasy Flight produces is gonna skyrocket in price on the secondhand market?

>owns the mechanics
Nope. Stuff like talent names and such, maybe, if they are not too general. But the mechanics themselves? No. There's not much original in those games.

So the WH people can finally stop pretending to be roleplayers?

>FFG and GW part ways.

rip WFRP3e.

2e was always better.

mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!JVw20QKC

mega.nz/#F!apdlzArL!-j3HfTPkpJFu_tk9H0HQ_A

Is there any truth to the rumor that GW demanded FFG stop doing X-Wing if they wanted to keep the GW license? Because that sounds like bullshit but also sounds like the right kind of stupid for GW.

Probably, unless FFG releases a new line of games that are the same thing but different flavor-wise.
Might pick up another copy of CitOW.

Yeah, that never happened.
The main reason for the split is because of FFG's purchase by Asmodee, requiring all licenses with outside parties to be renegotiated, and GW and Asmodee don't get along.

Rune Wars. It would compete with Sigmar

>FFG's purchase by Asmodee
Who are Asmodee ?

>GW and Asmodee don't get along.
What's the story behind that ?

Asmodee, the BIGGEST boardgame publisher nowadays by acquiring tons of other publisher
kind like EA in boardgaming

Meh, I remember when GW's own Black Industries closed and the licences went out to FFG. There was the odd FAQ for late buyers from BI but the games just changed publisher.

Though a few of the lines will probably go the way Sabretooth's did. RIP.

good. somebody else need to revamp rogue trader, deathwatch, etc.

Glad I panic bought Only War a few months ago.

The company that owns the companies that make Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Dixit, Small World, 7 Wonders, and Catan.

So would now be a good time to grab Invasion if I want it?

I don't pay much attention to boardgames, which is why I hadn't heard of them. Thanks for the answer.

Now why don't GW and Asmodee get along ?
I'm guessing it's GW's fault.

Possible but unlikely. But yes they can use their rules for whatever they want.

Oh hey that reminds me 9/11 is this Sunday! Rev up that Tribute.avi, folks.

Asmodee is french. GW is british.

>You do know GW is still running and making 40k stuff. The setting will continue to grow.
Disgusting. GW hasn't made a good decision with the setting since making the World Engine in 5e.

It seems you only have a scan of Faith and Coin. I have a PDF of it, with bookmarks and everything. Is there some way I could transfer that to you? Perhaps skype?
(you can highlight and copy text but not ctrl f search for it)

Also, is there a torrent of the archive? That would be a good way to ensure the archive never dies even if GW takes it down to salt the earth and make sure the dead games cannot be enjoyed by anyone ever again.

Wait actually if you want it just look for foulfagus on the IRC channel

Sounds like every GW game

RIP 40k. Predictable though, GW couldn't allow any quality 40k material survive before they finish trashing the fluff and then destroying the setting for Age of Emperor

They did get rid of the boardgame bits when the rereleased the game with just the core rulebook but it was too late by that time.

I hate that WFRP was pretty much a beta for the Star Wars RPGs, I would've enjoyed a Warhammer game with Star Wars streamlined rules.

At least Zweihander seems like a good successor though

Holy shit, how do you even use a computer?

GW is so fucking stupid.

>implying the Horus heresy has all been shit
>Look at me I'm a real role player, if you can't DM, you can't play, and if you ever say GM I'll ficking shank ya, I bet on my mums money, because I don't leave the fuckin' house
If you can copywriter 'space marine' and 'PAULDRONS' then you can copy right 'YOU'RE FIRED'
Where have you fucking been. The assassin game, betrayal at calth, silver tower, (gore chosen)
Also why play a Horus heresy card game when I can play the table top version

It's alright

The models look cool still right?

>And your understanding of copyright and trademark is laughable.
>FFG owns the mechanics.

This right here is the definition of irony.

Yeah, no, nobody owns "the mechanics" of the basic d100 system.

And either way, if they did (which they don't), those would've been acquired when FFG acquired the license from GW after Black Industries anyway, since the d100 mechanics were used in the original Warhammer Roleplay games, too, including the original Dark Heresy.

You fucking retard.

>How? They released some new RPG books for fantasy.

Which were absolutely, 100%, horrific, board-gamey shit with special decks of cards and special dies, and a complete departure from the dark fantasy of Warhammer Fantasy, and a step straight into oversized-pauldron grimderp over-the-top territory.

Pic related.

strebecklaw.com/court-rules-favor-cloned-tabletop-game-no-protection-us-copyright-law/

It makes a lot of sense honestly, FFG was not upholding the Games Workshop promise of poor quality control, fighting over unclear rules, and table flipping.

I'm really surprised that after this blatant contract violation that they're giving FFG until February and not just dropping them immediately.

>Pic related.

Okay...? She is a qt and she looks sad.I want to give her a hug.

Other than that I see no issue at all. Are you a sexist or somethinng?

>promise of poor quality control, fighting over unclear rules, and table flipping.

what does that even mean?

It's the Games Workshop experience.

You can't understand if you haven't used one of their products.

>Yeah, no, nobody owns "the mechanics" of the basic d100 system.

This. You can't actually copyright game mechanics, just the terminology used. That's why the OGL was such a big deal, since it opened up the usage of a bunch of terminology.

Yeah, I don't see it either. Maybe it's because she isn't ugly as boot leather or something. Frankly I don't get that complaint, it's not like there isn't a billion named characters in WFRP that aren't shitfarming peasants.

>poor quality control, fighting over unclear rules, and table flipping.

WFRP 2e and AoS have neither of those things.

>I kinda expected this after FFG picked up Star Wars. SW will bring in non-gamers to buy your products, and while 40k is popular in gamer circles it doesn't have much cross-over appeal.

This is very true, but the fact that it's true just means that they're fucking stupid. It means that a market remains unexploited, and that's a net loss, even if you get more money out of another market on average.

It's like they got tunnel vision after masturbating furiously over all their Star Wars jewgold. It's a fucking absurd line of thinking.

>AoS

Assuming you're talking about Age of Smegmar, the only reason it does not have that is because nobody plays it, because it's a failed abortion, a demon-spawn that devoured it's own mother in an attempt to stay alive.