The Official MTG Snowstorm/Lore Thread

Welcome to the MTG flake/lore thread!
Last Thread: We're all Piss user now.

Writefagging last time:

If you want ANYTHING to go in the repo, just summon me. Otherwise I will only put writefagging and sheets in the repo.

Also, I added the blank template to the ALL FLAKESHEETS folder. And the old snowsheets are under "Snowstorm sheets" > "1- ALL FLAKE SHEETS."

To summon me simply say
>OP OP, I SUMMON THEE. PLACE THIS FILE IN THE REPOSITORY.
Unless that's too gay.

>Current Repository
drive.google.com/open?id=0B-bqTtfMpEHWVUI5dURzakE4VWc

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/columns/magic-story-archive
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxMlgxbjJrejlLVEk
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxdGQ0QlpkS3BSN1U
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxRVh0NmduWWNib2M
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxYjlIOXNDTUp5XzA
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxSDkzS1Z1WjRsbE0
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxVnBFM1RZM29ZVzg
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxVWpfODRWMFBwSTA
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxVXlVOE00WmdyVkk/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxcTZFRlk3ZDlYX0E
strawpoll.me/11197660
strawpoll.me/11197661
strawpoll.me/11197662
strawpoll.me/11197665
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why do people always claim anons are myself? But, there can only be one.

>wishing these threads would die already so we can have a break and move onto the third storm

I like the idea of a third storm, but there would be a lot of overlap.

Why would you want a restart? Just make a new flake.

So which snowflakes would make up "The Gang"?

Probably pic related.

>The gang release New Phyrexia

>tfw no qt3.14 transhumanist gf

That's how you take something to an unnecessary extent right there.

I'm sure that you can buy one on the Internet.

Nope, those are the other trans.

It's the Internet. Tou can buy both. And save on shipping buy getting them at the same place.

Alrighty. I would like some input on this deck and some suggestions on what to add in and what to take out.

In the lore thread?

Son of a bitch. Thanks.

Also, sure. Why not? Any thoughts?

I do not play magic much at all, so take this with a grain of salt.

This deck is intensely vulnerable to any kind of creatures before you get out specific planeswalkers, which you may have trouble finding. You have a hell of a late game, but very little stall.

Why Ral? Seems like your only red splash.

Where do I start to learn mtg lore?

Yeah, I built it to go up against my other friends' super friends decks. So, creature hate really isn't a problem.

I actually have Domri Rade and Sarkhan Unbroken in my sideboard to switch any out. I don't splash red. I use Oath of Nissa to mana fix.

MtG Salvation

I'd punch a guy for lying like that.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/columns/magic-story-archive
For the most recent storyline, go down to origins, and read your way up the page. After you get back to the top, you can basically read whatever else is on that page going down, from Origins.
Chronological order, with the exception of Origins is bottom of the page to the top. Have fun.

Because this storm is cluttered and I feel obligated to keep following so long as it's still going.

Question, why are elves on Kaladesh?

Each race they chose for the five colors has some lore based tie to invention and technology,except for elves.

Dwarves have been artificers since Norse myth
Vendalken were designed as scientists
Aetherborn are living smog; a direct byproduct of technology
Gremlins are a mythic creature whose existence revolves around machines

and then elves are just...there. Sure they made them do tech stuff but it's not like something core to there identity, it seems like they just needed a green race and went with elves by default .

I mean it's not!India, they could have done the same shit with Nagas right?

I am a little puzzled why they didn't bring nagas back here instead of elves, too. This also doesn't really feel to me like the right plane to have brought Dwarves back.

Someone else I was talking to was wondering if maybe they should've had white Avatars instead of Angels, too. There weren't any angels on Theros because it doesn't match the mythology, and the same could be said to hold true for Kaladesh.

No idea why they chose elves instead of naga, but elves on Kaladesh are experts at seeing and manipulating the aether, which is a natural thing produced by nature and the wilds. That's why they used elves, artifice on Kaladesh has a very natural component. I suppose you could say that aether is a clean and green fuel source.

I think an artifact plane conceptually has trouble including Green in its design. Mirrodin was fine, because literally everything on Mirrodin is made of metal, but on Kaladesh I think they needed a way to help them put in Green content. And Elves are just an easy way to do that.

Well it makes sense for dwarves. There whole shtick is being inventors and masters of the forge and shit. It's an invention set in a game called magic, you probably want to load up on all the magical beings explicitly tied to invention.

Goblins also would have worked for the red race too. But I have to say I fucking love gremlins and how they built a whole technology cycle using the colors.

The idea of green being opposed to technology is silly when they have given us green farmers, botanists and scientists.

I am not saying a green race is the issue, I am saying why elves. Nothing about the conceptually ties them to invention; they could have tossed the aether seeing stuff onto any green race .

Or is energy sensing something inherent to elves in mtg? I know Nissa can do it but is that part of elves in general for mtg lore?

A green race makes sense being tied to the energy given the whole mana fetish, natural power gimmick green has I just find it odd that its elves specifically, it seems so random when all the other races are literally built conceptually on science and tech.

They made the angels look really Deva-ish too.

I think it was a combo of wotc fetishizing there "iconic races"(there is a fucking hydra on steam punk India for some reason) and also May be not wanting to use Avatar in an Indian context instead of a generic context because of religious issue.

This is the same company that claims the angles are default female so they don't get to close to irl religion.

Fucking when wotc. Fucking when? I need this.

They killed all the hottest angels last block, we need some sexy Valkyries to replace them.

Obligatory bump to await ice age user.

Energy sensing isn't an inherent elf thing, from what I remember. And hating technology has been an inherent elf thing, so it's a little odd that they're one of the main races in a highly technological setting. I mean, on Mirrodin, the elves were weirdos that hated how metallic everything else was.

Actually, the inherently elfy quality that I notice is MTG elves tend to be arrogant dickweeds who think their way of life is best, but that too does not appear to carry over to Kaladesh elves.

They'd get bashed so hard if they printed a card with similar lewdess. This will never be a thing.

No shit. But Innistrad was doing more than fine with glorious thigh angels, that's all I'm asking.

I too wait for the Ice Age, that the heat of battle might warm this thread

I love Kaladeshi angels.

Same. I'm into 'em.

So what's up with the whole snowflake/snowstorm thing? A collection of Planeswalker OCs?

Yes. Some of them are doing actual writefagging too.

Oh, that's cool. From the OP image, this looked like it'd be an RP thread, but the contents aren't.

Sis we had valkyrie already, maybe a thing called coldsnap passed behind your winged radars?
Yeah they are cool. I dig the four armed look.

>4 arms
>only 2 wings
One job, wizards.

Yeah, it's not so much an RP. Some anons colab their writefagging, so that in a way could be parallel to roleplaying. But, we make OC Planeswalkers that we call snowflakes or just "flakes". We write little stories about them. And we do nifty little events with them. Like currently we are doing the Ice Age Tournament. Where we put random flakes together and we all vote who'd win.

But, most of the time we just joke around and make fun of the flakes. Keep in mind, we have one law here. "All flakes are equally shit."

It's all pretty fun. You should join us. Pic is he flake sheet.

> Can hold more swords.
> Less details to draw in artwork.

I'd say they did well enough.

she's got six upper limbs, like Kali.

I just want to be hugged by lots of fluffy wings, is that so much to ask?
Pic unrelated.

maybe when we visit the Hebrew-inspired plane you can have angels with lots of wings.

But then they won't have 4 arms. Truly, life is suffering.

Please, don't post new content. Let the Ice Age be the end of the storm, as it was intended to be. Let it die at last so we can move on to the next thing. Without death, there can be no new life.

>next thing
What would be the next thing? Just throwing out all the existing flakes? For what purpose?

Hey now, I said that it could go either way.
We die on this mass combat review of everything we've done, or we get back enough interest to re-fuel. One or the other.

And wrap up your voting. It's been almost a full day. RULES POST.

>During each round, flakes will be assigned to random opponents in single-elimination tournament fashion.
>Flakes will be treated as though they are all neowalkers in order to create a balance of power.
>Flakes with meme-levels of power will be treated as though they weren’t.
>Flakes that directly contradict lore, especially by going against or interacting inappropriately with canon characters, will be disqualified.
>Flakes that are joke or troll flakes will be disqualified. The use of silver-bordered cards in a flake’s preferred spell list automatically disqualifies them.

>During the first round, all flakes will be placed into the roster randomly. Flakes that are disqualified will give their random opponents a bye for the round.
>During the first round, flakes will be revealed in smaller groups, noting disqualifications and asking the thread if they wish to disqualify anyone else.

>During each round, small groups of flake match-ups will be revealed
>Arguments will take place in the thread and votes will be taken from the polls over which flake is likely to prevail over the other.
>After each round, the flakes that move on will be re-randomized on the roster to make match-ups unpredictable.

>Match-Up rules will treat both competing flakes in a match as though they are both forced into conflict with the other, and neither is allowed to planeswalk away until a winner is determined. Flakes will be treated as though they start with zero assisting summons and will not have prepared for this encounter.

No. It will never die. We won't let it die. It is our child. And we will feed it, nurish it, love it... forever.

I don't get his "let it die" thing. What is the problem? You want to do a new flake but are afraid it will never be "famous" as the ones that are established already?
Why, envy.

It'll be noon in about nine minutes here.

That's when the next match-ups will be revealed. and when the votes stop for this set.

Hey! That's Vronak's timezone. What a coinky dink. Hmm?

Is it? You can try to start shit all you like, but you're a little too obvious.

He posted a screen cap and he is in the central timezone. Just. Like. You.

A coin flip? Oh, well.

The following Flakes move on to the next Round:

>Kasten
>Ylia
>Talo'ara
>Thane
The next match-ups are as follows:

>Doctor Roman Whitebog VS Gaia
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxMlgxbjJrejlLVEk
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxdGQ0QlpkS3BSN1U

>Larothenes VS Sem
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxRVh0NmduWWNib2M
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxYjlIOXNDTUp5XzA

>Kinrakar VS Marjanah
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxSDkzS1Z1WjRsbE0
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxVnBFM1RZM29ZVzg

>The Cathar VS Praea
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxVWpfODRWMFBwSTA
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxVXlVOE00WmdyVkk/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0Bwl7IuoVRkFxcTZFRlk3ZDlYX0E

DISCUSS!

>Roman vs Gaia
A flavorful match, to be sure. Roman hates nature, and he's literally fighting the storm's resident mother earth trope. Still, I think Gaia takes it with a landslide. Her casting is more powerful, she's more experienced, and has a natural advantage.

>Larothenes vs Sem
Sem probably takes it.

>Kinrakar vs Marjanah
Aww, poor girl. Marjanah has some good casting, but she's blind and fighting a FUCKHUEG mad minotaur who also has some super aggro casting. Between combat ability and natural advantage, the bull takes it.

The Cathar vs Praea
A good matchup, actually. Even though the Cathar is a bit of a meme, if we take that away he's actually a good matchup for Praea. Still, he has a greater emphasis on aggresion and combat, so he could take it? It's a tossup for me. I'll come back to this one when I'm off my phone.

Thank you based Angel deck for delivering me these spoils. Fuck booster boxes, get store credit for dank shit like cute Ajanis.

Race only means so much.

A drunken Agrus Kos once got in a bar fight with a sober minotaur. He didn't win, but he knocked out one of its teeth before it picked him up and hung him from the chandelier.

Do you think Marjanah would take it then? How would she win?

I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that the regular argument of racial advantage isn't as warranted as some people think. In a general sense, humans don't really have a disadvantage against other humanoid races, because "racial advantages" tend to also come with disadvantages that balance them out.

>Drunk guy throws a wild swing at a minotaur
>Knocks out a tooth

I mean... Minotaurs are generally considered physically strong, but they're still basically just animal-people, I guess.

I dunno, unless it says Marjanah is combat focused (which it doesn't) I'm going to say she has no idea how to deal with a stronk bull guy who's almost a meter taller than her.

Good job, my UR deck got me to 3-2 last night.
>beaten by Spooder and Bant.

>milk isn't the only thing that comes in quarts

I'm not sure, but I think I figured out Gaia's weakness! She's a slow starter in general.
I'm not talking about that "waking up and adjusting to her new power levels slowly thing" I mean most of her spell set is BIG STUFF. Her early game is ramp. It's like that five color deck from one of the DotP games: Oh sure when it get sgoing it's a pain, but before that she has to ramp up mana across five different colors. And at new walker levels that can't be as easy as it once was.
I mean don't get me wrong, she's probably going to win against the stitcher, but there's a chink in her armor, in that she plays battlecruiser magic.
I think.

>Larothenes VS Sem
Sem is definitely the stronger of the two

>Kinrakar VS Marjanah
Well, every fight is in Marjanah's element if all she has to do is find and drag sand into the area, with the sand definitely slowing the hooved minotaur's charged down and her casting giving him big things to but heads with.
I think for a blind girl who never put on a shirt she might do pretty well.

>The Cathar VS Praea
The Cathar wins. His life's been one long conflict after another while Praea runs a really good gambling ring. Plus he still hasn't found his pet bunny. That man can't stop until he does.

I mean, those spells on her sheet were from her oldwalker days. user said in her abilities doc that she could probably spam ball lightnings. I can ramp into those on turn one. Still, you have a thought that's worth more exploration.

But I don't think the stitcher could do anything against a ball lightning.

Not just her spells, but also her "deck type" which is probably sort of their fighting methods too, at least, that's what I thought of it, is literally: Ramp into big stuff"
But yeah, no the Stitcher's kind of going to lose.

Good point, though. Definitely something to keep in mind for the future. If Gaia user still exists, we should get him to speak to it.

Instincts say Gaia. I leave this to the experts.

>Larothenes VS Sem
Argh, this is what I get for not updating Larothenes's flakesheet since June. That one's not even accurate anymore, but it's fine for use in this. Given the sheets, Sem wins.

>Kinrakar VS Marjanah
Aggro versus control. Not really sure about this one at all. I want to give it to Marjanah, but I have to be sure that's not just something else talking.

>The Cather VS Praea
This is a really good matchup. If you look at what differentiates them, you've got black for Praea and equipments for Cathar. Since black is the color of removal that tends not to care about toughness, I'm tempted to say Praea has the edge, but I'll hold off on my final decision until I see what everyone else has to say.

Assuming aetherborn can't naturally spark I'm not sure, does processing Aether count as giving birth to them? It's a not-random repeatable event, like fertilizing an egg after all but you wanted to make an aetherborn flake, how would you explain their spark?

Spontaneously given life as the byproduct of science. I wouldn't think that they qualify for sparks any more than the stuff that you summon from aether do.

POLLS!

strawpoll.me/11197660
strawpoll.me/11197661
strawpoll.me/11197662
strawpoll.me/11197665

The solution to the problem in the filename is turning into a giant dragon

I hate to say it, but Daisy ended exploding into a bunch of tentacles during spooky moon. The Cathar had to put her down.

I've gotta give it to the Cathar. Praea is good, but she needs prep time to set up THE GAMES and isn't very handy in a face to face fight.

Is there anyone who can beat Gaia? I would have said meme diomedes or something, but fuck she way too strong to have competition.

So I have a flake, Sula of the Broken Bow.

Now what do I do?

Post his/her flakesheet here in the thread, maybe do some writing if you'd like, and have a good time.

Probably not. All of her main competition and most of the oldwalkers who could take her down were disqualified.

Post it's flake sheet. Template is somewhere around here.

See DIOMEDES is pretty tough in lore and doesn't care about chain lightning with his spells that make indestructible. That and his speed is an advantage, easier white red aggro. Who knows how much Iroas' blessing/patronage helps vs Gaia experience though. Doesn't matter in the end because thats not this fight.

I imagine around round 4 we'll start having to really think about it. 1 to 3 are cleanup rounds for purging the non-combatants, 4 is where we'll only have real powerflakes competing.

But, before that round comes up, what flakes do you guys think have a chance against gaia and why? Consider the discussion from this string of posts. She's a powerhouse supreme, but in combat a bit of a one-trick pony, if a strong enough flake could get around being overwhelmed with outlandishly high force, it might be possible.

post it, friendo, lets see the new original the character.

Sup nerds. I was told my flake was up again. Throw your questions my way.

Gaia's power sheet attached.

Sul of the Broken Bow was a young and arrogant Hunter of a tribe of Epolith. He lived at a time when the Spirits of the Land waged war against the tribes who began to abandon worship in favor of technology and magic made by there own power.

In a reckless charge against the Great Spirit Devanir his tribe was decimated causing him to spark .

Once off Epolith he met and trained with a group of Planeswalkers who together went back to Epolith to liberate it from the spirits .

When he returned, he found Epolith's unique nature made time run faster there than the multiverse, decades had past though he was still a young man.

Together, he and his team defeated the spirits , and became the Pantheon of a world dedicated to magic and technology .

But Sula grew envious and fearful, so he used forbidden art to trap his old teammates, using them to power a shroud that blocked all Planeswalkers from Epolith but him.

Now as the sole God of the Plane Sul Planeswalks in and out to appear immortal to his subjects, even as his church comes under threat from newly sentient machines and self aware spells.

Rate pls.

Not Daisy. Truly the cathar is a main who suffered much. No man should have to put down his bunny.

Sula
Color:White
Mechanics:

Artifact generation (especially equipment)
Supports pump and protection spells
Hates enchantments

Looks(pre spark): If Gilgamesh, Samson Hercules and Superman has a baby.

Also if anyone wants to crossover, the team would need walkers of the four other colors and authors ok with a storyline that has them trapped for a bit.

until there eventual freeing by the Robot and Living Magic Computer code uprising .

You look like a guy who needs one of these.
Don't worry, it's as easy to fill out as knowing how to use Microsoft paint to type, copy and paste, and resize what you pasted into a certain size.

Epolith:

Flavor: Stone Age
Mechanics: Card Types Matter.

Specifically

Artifact Matters for the tribal artificers
Spells Matter for the tribal shamans
Lands matter for the wild beasts
Enchmantmet Matters for the animist spirits

Then later on it shows back up as a "new plane" with a Spelljammer/Cyberpunk feel very artifacty, only the twist at the start of the last set shows they are on in the same .

rate pls

What are the most powerful and broken white pump spells in history .

No enchantments.

Also the most broken equipment

>13 votes on the Cathar vs Praea
Holy shit.

Broken-ness of spells doesn't matter. The preferred spell list is more for flavor and explaining how your character fights. For instance Chandra would have a bunch of fire elementals and burn, but not really anything "stone" related, which'd be more Koth or Nahiri.

I'm still biting my nails at Kinrakar vs Marjanah. It keeps getting tied.

14 now.

guys I'm flattered but praea is not a combatant

I kno. His flavor is wanting the post powerful spells and weapons because he is obsessed with strength and dominance . He is an in-universe spike.

A lot of votes on these polls. I guess it makes sense, since it's a Saturday night in most places. A lot of people on Veeky Forums.