ITT: WMD

Post images or ideas about creative weapons, devices, entities or events that can end settings and turn them into post-apocalypse worlds; I need ideas and inspiration for my new campaign

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f6YhSjRiVio#t=91m20s
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula_Floods
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altai_flood
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_deluge_hypothesis
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanclean_flood
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodynamics_of_Venus
mediafire.com/download/7glrqq1zba54w76/2000AD_#1174-1182_Glimmer_Rats.cbr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Now this is how welfare should be distributed.

1. Learn to predict an earthquake.
2. Trick the enemy army to go there at that time
3.????
4. Profit

So do you want a BBEG that is working on an apocalypse level event or BBEG caused triggered an apocalyptic event and now the PCs are in a post-apocalypse world?

Disease is always my favorite because it's the most likely to happen after global warming.

Not just the zombie plague, because that's been done to death and makes no sense, but like a "black plague" scenario in which 2/3 of the population is wiped out over a decade and centralized society collapses.

You could have the ban on chemical warfare lifted for some reason, then take it to the extreme.

Steelhead will always be the best Metabaron.

Mass cosmological transcendence happens. A trigger of some sort causes most of humanities consciousness to "escape" the universe.

People left behind have no idea what happened and probably think it was the rapture or something. Also weird psychic powers exist.

Earth is beset by cosmic dark matter energy that cause all electrically operated devices to malfunction and become useless. Chaos, disease, and famine ensue.

I've run only one post-apocalyptic fantasy game and the apocalypse happened when enormous beasts which the gods had made ran rampant and devoured their masters. Divine kaiju were everywhere.

Two words: Mole men.

The Hall of Origination is pretty cool.

>Mole men
he's got a point

When you need 8.25 gigatonnes of "fuck communism", accept no substitutes.

>A nuclear bomb powered by nuclear bombs

We are gonna have to go deeper gents

This. I think a game set actually DURING the downfall, where military attempts to clamp down gradually fail and society falls apart as huge proportions of the population die, would be a pretty cool one. So many post-apocalypse settings but a plague scenario lets you actually have a 'mid-apocalypse' setting. You'd get weird zealot groups popping up, people terrified of getting infected fleeing or killing the infected, the military trying to contain shit but obviously failing, and gradually a descent into that classic post-apocalypse society, but in this case there would be plenty of resources to go around, just a lack of people/knowledge on how to use them.

go watch "the strain"
>all is normal,
>then vampire zombies,
>aaand everything gone down the pan,
also David Bradley

Patrician taste in comics.

There's a metabaron rpg that has been translated in english, btw.

Not OP but link? I thought it was in frogtongue only.
Can I play as an androgyne videogame maker?

Can someone explain it to a dumb person? I dont get it. Sounds to me like a like a artillery shell with mini nukes

The holodeck, or similar sort of technology, will be the last invention humanity will ever make. And I am perfectly okay with this fact.

Most people will say they like Saga of the Metabarons more than The Incal but man is Metabarons such a lackluster story overall. If you ever watch the documentary on Jodorowsky's Dune you can really see that he tried to force the ending on Metabarons.

It's a space craft powered by nukes with an even bigger nuke in the front.

It also comes in "Orbital Battleship" flavor.

Someone took the "limiter" off of a magic spell or some such that gets out of control. Like ever-replicating golems, an ever expanding wave of fire that sweeps the globe every few weeks, massive portals to a different dimension spilling out all kinds of stuff that eventually kills off most salient life, Absolute immovable rod slams into and through the earth causing global geological events regurgitate hitting 9.5 on the rictor scale.

Incal went a bit too mindfuckey at the end IMO, but the two stories have very different feels.
What I like about the metabarons is that it reads like a classical myth, but in a sci-fi universe.

Every Jodoroski storie goes mindfuckery at the end. You gotta accept he'll jump the shark with his Tarot deck but that's part of the charm. Well maybe not the Borgias but that is historical-fiction.

Specifically speaking, I need to kill Earth really really bad, but in some way that is not just nukes fall, fallout everywhere same old same old. For the bulk of the story my players will be exploring the now terraformed Luna but they will not be aware that they are residing on the Earth's Moon, so I need to make Earth unrecognizable. Part of the campaign revolves around them piecing together how we fucked up everything and I need to make that part believable enough. Luna's biosphere is artificially sustained and it relied heavily on the Earth's (and other intrasolar colonies) support, so it won't last forever - as a matter of fact the state is critical.

The campaign will be hard sf, but I don't mind fantasy suggestions as well, I can "convert" them to sf or use them to build folklore stories and mythology of the locals; a few centuries have passed since the apocalypse so most of the civilization reverted to primitive tribalism, ripe with superstition.

That is one awesome bomb

I like the pestilence approach too, but I'm not sure how to make it change the planet so much that it doesn't look like a beautiful blue marble anymore. I need something with a "bigger bang" and a bit more exotic.

>but I'm not sure how to make it change the planet so much that it doesn't look like a beautiful blue marble anymore

Ecological collapse

All the volcanoes explode at once, including a giant one that spews ash across a continent

Asteroid impact

Solar flare knocks off the atmosphere

Some inspiration

youtube.com/watch?v=f6YhSjRiVio#t=91m20s

Solar flare you say?

Sounds pretty damn good. Like the one from that Nicholas Cage something biblical something sci-fi movie. Conviniently enough the Moon could use Earth as a shield and let it tank most of the damage thus at least partially surviving the cataclysm. Best proposition yet...the only bad part about this is that I can't quite blame humanity for the destruction of Earth.

Damn, can't embed at a certain point; the inspiration should start around 1:30:20

Rogue AI with self replicating nano swarms

Well the planet certainly wouldn't be recognizable after an enormous fungal egg crashed down from space and caused the core to erupt and change the entire habitat to favor large, unrepentant mushroom aliens.

Ignore that second quote, I'm a filthy phoneposter

A happiness virus that make people glad and apathetic.
The infected can simply not gather the anger to fight back against anything and whole planets, whole civilizations fall to blissful apathy.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula_Floods
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altai_flood
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_deluge_hypothesis
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanclean_flood

How about your guys are up in the hills for whatever reason in an ice age climate world like Skyrim and witness a giant flood wipe out everything in the valleys and lowlands. Most of the population and any agriculture would be down there. All that's left are a bunch of scoured channels and stranded icebergs. Relatively common on a geologic scale during glacial epochs

Sorry didn't read your follow-up about living in the moon, thought you wanted generic ideas.

How about catastrophic resurfacing where every few hundred million or billion years the surface of the planet catastrophically melts rather than having earth-like plate tectonics? en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodynamics_of_Venus

I've always liked the idea of the Anti-Life Equation.

A memetic virus that causes someone to realize completely the hopelessness, futility, and horror of life, and fall deep into the hole of misery and despair. It removes hope, and joy, and love, and everything that makes up the light side of life, and leaves only the dark side. Only Darkseid. It is weaponized tyranny.

gray goo is created, goes amok, eats every bit of usable biomass, starts converting usable elements in the Earth's crust - of which massive terraforming is merely an incidental side effect - and then turn on each other, leading the plague to burn out or at least level off.

For reference on this idea, see the bad Michael Crichton novel "Prey" or the good Eric Drexler nonfiction book "Engines of Creation."

Strangelets escaping containment

Fuck, there was a comic I loved that portrayed some sort of alien dimension convicts where thrown in to try and conquer. It was fucking brutal, like a mix of an alien planet that eats/assimilates you and drives you mad. I can't remember anything other than a guy going batshit and making a necklace out of ears. Seems like a nifty place to chuck people.

Way to be a cunt, steelhead.
>not deserving of the title of metabaron/10

He is the best. Anyone after him is not a true metabaron because he was not killed. Specially that dick-cunt of Aghora, literally worst metabaron.

Steelhead is the ONLY metabaron truly deserving of the title

Not to mention that he is the actual greatest self-less hero of them all

He, litterally and truly, did nothing wrong.

>>pig disgusting libertine liberal degenerate.
Pic Related.

You're thinking of Glimmer Rats from 2000AD.

mediafire.com/download/7glrqq1zba54w76/2000AD_#1174-1182_Glimmer_Rats.cbr

In the backstory of the comic a hole in reality is torn into a nightmare dimension called the Glimmer. As a way to try and contain it and dispose of undesirables at the same time, a lot of very unpleasant people are given basic weapons and shot into the reality breach and told to establish a foothold - while the Glimmer is naturally malleable, it seems that people can force it to have things like "direction" and "solid ground". It resists this very strongly.

To relate it to the OP, if the Glimmer was to expand or to start sending its own colonists that could very quickly turn any setting into a bizarre hellhole as reality itself breaks down.

Villa was completely sane during all the comic.

catastrophic peasant railgun misfires regularly wiping out huge portions of the lowborn human population, leading to famine as the fields are left to rot

Died surrounded by wealth beyond measure, killing a galactic scale monster in a massive explosion and leaving the population of the universe in his debt.
It's how he'd want to have gone.

Eldritch machine rips the world from its magical anchors; the normal veil barrier between realities bends and breaks. Elementals and arcane forces are unleashed directly into the world. Pitchforks and militias are little use against literal forces of nature.

Correction: The holodeck will be the last invention *nerds* make, and then the Amish shall inherit the Earth.

why blame man? "humans played God/we were the monsters all along" is as boring as zombies desu. why not make it about how the universe will fuck you up no warning and its up to us to peotect ourselves. it works well with the failing Luna ecosystem, and the primitive tribes could be Luddite style antagonist actively sabatoging Luna because of their ignorance