Amonkhet and other nifty things edition

Amonkhet and other nifty things edition
To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj
Threadly question: Do you prefer to design cards and sets bottom up or top down?

old

Other urls found in this thread:

magiccards.info/query?q=mana=1U pow=2 tou=2&v=card&s=issue
reddit.com/r/custommagic/comments/17d7gw/ive_made_a_script_for_mse_to_export_into/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Really like the reverse-pillowfort of this, fits red. Would definitely find a spot for it in my Gahiji EDH list

Trying to make a Progenitus that's ACTUALLY impossible to kill.

Flash isn't black

I cast evacuation

That's not killing him though!

Still dies to Black Sun's Zenith, technically. -1/-1 counters are placed by an effect, but they generate the toughness reduction via rules, and not an effect.

I'd say it should read 'Progenitus always has a toughness of at least 1.'

>the deals

First draft was an Ashling style ability that detonated the dragon on the third activation, hence the typo. Thought it would be more fun if it at least got to trip over a Spirit or something before it blew up spectacularly.

Updated and extended white uncommons here! Blue soon to follow.

And, blue.
This is interesting. A fun conditional combat trick. Not sure about rarity and power level, but I dig the design.

This is white.

A card cycle somewhat inspired by Egyptian mythology and the new set coming out. Egyptian gods have a long history of not giving shit unless you give them shit first, hence the idea of paying additional costs for everything, but the more you pay the better the reward.

I need to reword or redo Gifts from Isis to get her text down to reasonable levels, so any ideas there would be great.

Besides that, any criticism is welcomed.

Quick edit, initial idea was for different locations in Egyptian Mythology to be the focus, but decided to go with Gods for more flavor. Gifts from Anubis was initially Gifts from Duat, forgot to change it after the first draft.

You can save some space with
>Choose one. If X is 5 or more, choose both instead

Also why doesn't the WU one have an extra cost like the others?

It does, the cost is mana. Thought it fit the colors better.

Oh right, the different formatting threw me off

As a quick note, when using MSE, use ~ to take the place of the card's name. That way, when you decide to change it later, the rules text changes to fit. @ will substitute for the first part of a Legendary Creature's name.

Also, it's "as an additional cost to cast ~".

>Anubis/Duat
>Put a -1/-1 counter on up to X target creatures.
Second mode is much much better than the first one, though.

>Isis
Ooooh boy, this is a weird cost. First, costs can't target, so the additional cost should probably be:
>As an additional cost to cast ~, any number of creatures you control do damage equal to their power to you. X is the total damage dealt to you this way.
>~ deals X damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures your opponents control.
>Create X 2/2 red and green Bull creature tokens with haste and trample.

>Nepethys/Aaru
Untapping creatures you control doesn't feel terribly GW, especially as a cost for a 2 mana instant. Like, this is a bonkers good combat trick.
>Put a +1/+1 counter on up to X target creatures you control.
>Up to X target creatures you control gain first strike and hexproof until end of turn.
Until the beginning of your next upkeep is a weird duration for no particular reason.

>Osiris
The god of the underworld, WU? Seems off. Why not Thoth or Horus?
Oh man, this is again, super powerful. Returning creatures to the top of their owner's library, without conditions, starts at 2U, without scaling. I'd return to hand instead.
>Return up to X target creatures to their owner's hands.
>Scry X, then draw a card.
No need to wait until the beginning of the next end step. That's ancient templating that I never quite understood.

>Set
I'd rather this didn't exile at the beginning of the end step, because of how it nonbos with itself. Sure, you can sac the returned ones for a second Gifts from Set, but still. Would feel better if it forced sacrifice at the beginning of the next end step. Also, this is missing the choose text.

>Anubis
I'm working on redoing this one entirely, as it feels a little underwhelming and the second mode, while being the better one as you said, doesn't really fit the theme of giving you things.

>Isis
Yeah, she was the hardest one to try and make. Trying to find an additional cost that feels RG besides saccing lands or something was hard.

>Nepethys
Any ideas for a better GW additional cost?

>Osiris
Was mixing up him and Thoth. Is now Gifts from Thoth. The draw at end of turn was a slight attempt at trying to balance it, but probably wasn't necessary in hindsight.

>Set
Noted about the missing Choose text. Sacrifice does feel better, was basing it off of the current trend in Wizards with exiling red creatures. The idea though was that you could sacrifice them to pay the cost, then return them with the spell itself, sort of like a flicker effect that fits in RB.

>Any ideas for a better GW additional cost?
GW likes to go wide, so maybe boost the per-X power and have it tap creatures instead of untap them? The problem with doing "good things" as costs is that they're uninteractible; even if your opponent counters your spell, you've already untapped your creatures.

>The idea though was that you could sacrifice them to pay the cost, then return them with the spell itself,
Unfortunately, you have to declare targets before you can pay costs, so this doesn't work as you want it to. Believe me, I thought so too and it was going to be super cool, and had to go and check to make sure it was possible... and it isn't.

The flicker effect you'd be looking for can still exist:
>Sacrifice any number of creatures, then return them to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of your next upkeep.
Normally abilities "lose track" of things as they change zones, but cards can be tracked between zones if the card specifically demands it, like many flicker effects, or in this case, Journey to the Underworld.

>Never find the thread because I'm a faggot and couldn't remember the subject line edition!
If the thread dies, I'm holding you responsible.

Worse than silence in two ways at once!

Latest version of Mobius. Wondering if first ability should exile any spell, just to make it worse than straight Hexproof, and force you to play with a slight downside.

That art makes me want to make a card called Distract that taps some creatures. I'll see if I can use Power Girl art for it. Speaking of, if anyone has any ideas for a Power Girl card, please let me know, I'm fucking desperate at this point.

Hows this look?

Put it into your hand from where?

>Whenever a card is put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, you may return a card from your graveyard that shares a card type with that card to your hand.
I think. Also seems ridiculous. Milling would turn into recursion.

Graveyard, sorry, should have double checked.

Is this how group hug works?

Now with card art.

So, most doubling things are replacement effects... though dear god the amount of infinites this creates regardless...

I may or may not be a little drunk right now, shut up

>I may or may not be a little drunk right now, shut up
OK, but were you drunk when you came up with the idea? For the record, I highly doubt this works. Being a card and being a token are physical properties, not just in-game designations.

no comment

isn't the card attribute only fir something that is in a zone other than in play?

I'm pretty sure it would work. But it does ultimately turn off more things than it turns on.

And what it turns on is me because I love shenanigans.

I can't think of anything that really breaks with this. Tokens disappear from non-battlefield zones as statebased actions that check what they are when they're in other zones, so things don't just start vanishing.

Doubling Season runs into weirdness because permanent spells resolving aren't "effects putting things onto the battlefield", its the rules doing that. When you DO put a permanent onto the battlefield via an effect (Fetchlands, Show and Tell, etc.) then I guess (?) it'd make token copies of them.

Most things care that they're NOT tokens (Progenitor Mimic comes to mind), or care about nontoken permanents, so yeah, this is sort of a 4 CMC rules headache with low shenanigans potential.

bump

Just countering abilities is pretty good, I don't think stealing them is fair. I think making it just T to use but giving your opponent an upside would be the most fair. Like if the ability gets countered they should get to scry 1.

Flash is actually in all five colors, justified by "does the card need this to work?" So you're partially correct in that black can't just have it for no reason, like green and blue can as a french vanilla creature for example, but it's not barred like you imply either.

The main issue with that card is more that it's Ambush Viper in black, which is probably not something black needs to have in the first place, though I suppose an argument could be made. I'd rather see it at uncommon personally, if at all.

Please, use the most updated primer, or make one that's even MORE updated to use. Thanks.

There are three monoblack flash creatures. Two from Time Spiral, and Offalsnout from Lorwyn. Similarly, of the six monored flash creatures, four are from Time Spiral, one from Urza's Saga (a mirrored pair of a white Knight) and Dualcaster Mage, which needs flash because it targets a spell. Outside of Time Spiral, black and red don't get flash.

A deathtouch creature does not need flash to function, and is simply an unnecessary power boost.

Seems pretty mono-black over black-red.

-2 Is also too strong for the cost and for a 2-mana walker. 2 cards or 4 life by itself is actually alright even if that's all the card did.

Its ultimate is also a better Liliana in most cases.

Damn, these Egypt cards changed in quality real quick

Does not compute.

magiccards.info/query?q=mana=1U pow=2 tou=2&v=card&s=issue

Eh... not sure about this. Part of me wants to turn it into a soft counterspell. Something like
>Return target spell to its owner's hand.
>Draw a card.
Or maybe something like Mana Leak, IDK.

Definitely going to make that Power Girl card though.

Before Eldritch Moon there wasn't a 2/2 for 1R with no drawback.
Before Innistrad there wasn't a 2/2 for 1B with no drawback.
A 2/2 for 1U with no drawback wouldn't break the pie, limited or constructed.

And yes you should make the power girl card.

endless one means that there's basically an on 1 to 1 curve creature for every color. Or at least that they are willing to make one.

Moved this from white to black.

Meh, fine. Not a huge deal anyway, I think.

>Name
>Art
>Ability
>Flavor text
Awesome job.

Thanks.

I like the name and the art.

Green doesn't care about instant and sorcery cards.

It should be GW, GR or GU.

...Really?
>T, Discard a card: ~ deals 4 damage to target player. Activate this ability only during combat after the declare blockers step and only once each turn.

Dude's making an instants/sorceries matter set.

>instant and sorcery matters set
>pirate set

These don't mix well.

First draft. I'm split between messing with players, and messing with creatures, with the obvious tapping being a possibility and maybe removing creatures from combat. Modal is always a possibility though. Also unsure if the ability (or abilities) should be one-sided or symmetrical.

Is this better than Monomania? How do you even properly cost a spell powerful enough to discard an entire hand anyway? It just seems like something so expensive it would never be worth it, outside of maybe, just maybe, draft or commander.

Never claimed that they did, user. Just relaying his plan.

Good flavor. But why black?

Not him, but because death triggers tend towards Black. Here's a breakdown of creature cards containing the line "~ dies" I found on MagicCards. Not that these are all monocolor.
>White: 32
>Blue: 31
>Black: 60
>Red: 26
>Green: 46
Also, bad luck is really more of a Black thing, though I guess it could be in Red.

Continuing to make progress. Now finished with the extended draft of red uncommons for the set. Even with the increased number of uncommons I'm shooting for, I only have a few more to make.

So, thoughts on any of these?

>UR01
I'm not sure I like seeing it at 3 toughness. Otherwise fine.

>UR02
Not really a fan of exiling like this. I think I'd make it rummage instead.

>UR03
Seems fine mechanically, though I have no idea why that's just a snake.

>UR05
Seems fine.

>UR06
I feel like you could just say
>When ~ enters the battlefield during combat
Since Cathedral Membrane says "dies during combat"

>UR07
Seems fine.

>UR08
Ditto.

>UR09
I don't get the Ambush part here. I get that it adds flexibility, but how often do you think it'll actually be used? Red isn't like White, it doesn't have to wait for combat to kill something, it can kill stuff long before combat starts.

>UR10
Meh.

>UR11
Not a curse? Not sure how I feel about this. Just seems slow and weak. I think it would be more interesting if it were a regular enchantment for yourself and cheaper.

are you ok?

>Not really a fan of exiling like this.
Exiling like what, exactly? Impulse draw?
>UR06
Sweet. If that's the case, it'll save me a ton of room.
>I get that it adds flexibility, but how often do you think it'll actually be used?
What if your opponent plays a creature on their turn you want to blast immediately? Or what if you want to burn them, but also want to wait and see what they do during their precombat main phase first? Or if they drop a creature with haste? I think there are plenty of uses for the conditional instant speed. I mean, how often does Flame Slash see play over Bolt? Instant speed matters.
>UR11
Curses all follow similar conventions, especially in naming, that I'm not using. But I still wanted to utilized some Enchant Player effects.
>I think it would be more interesting if it were a regular enchantment for yourself and cheaper.
That would be something I'd be hesitant to put at uncommon, and would also be less flexible. Players are trying to hit the five mana mark in this set (at least, that is the intention) and this has an impact on how easy that is do to. Or, you can use it for yourself and power out some spells. Options are fun.
>Deadshot
Basically Deathbringer Thoctar? Seems a bit uninspired, to be honest.

>Exiling like what, exactly? Impulse draw?
Impulse, though not for the ability itself, but the way you get to do it until end of turn here. I get why it's there, to make sure you have the mana to cast the thing basically, but... I dunno, I just don't like the execution of it. It's hard to explain, I'm sorry.

>Deadshot
Yeah... here, let me get a more creative card in here to help with this. I think it's because I have a hard time representing firearms, since they're basically all pingers, and I find it difficult at times to separate mechanics from flavor. Really not sure how to do Deadshot, because he really has no powers other than "Really good at shooting people." That's not an excuse for a poor design, I'm just saying.

a harry potter or wizard academy world would fit better

>wizard academy
Oh fuck, I can see it now.
>The Gatewatch get stopped by planeswalker wizards.
>"You need your wizarding license!"
>Cue sitcome-tier hijinks as they all go to school.
>"Chandra, you're late."
>"But Professor, I had to fight the Eldrazi! And they ate my homework!"
>[cue audience laughter]

Feedback on these mechanics (and to a lesser extent on the power level of the cards)? I plan on using them in my custom card cube.

Is this an interesting Cromat variation at all? No idea what else to do with the card at this point.

>Graverob
First, really dumb mechanic, probably going to be broken easily. Second, that's not how graveyards work, it should just randomly select a card with a lower CMC and let the players decide how they go about doing that exactly.

Remind me of the lore behind her, as well? Again, my comic knowledge isn't the best.

Hybrid of a bunch of different alien species. Unfortunately her exact power set is a bit on the vague side. And yes, that's pretty much her entire character. She didn't do well, though to be fair, I haven't read her series either. Maybe I'll get around to it later.

Make her care about color, then, and about stuff that every color gets to do. Maybe something like:

"Whenever you cast a spell, ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each of that card's colors."

Paired with some choice keywords, that seems both fun, powerful, and fairly representative of "amalgamation of a bunch of disparate elements."

So, I have a question.

I finished writing up a small set in MSE, and all was well. Then I tried porting it to Cockatrice and everything went horribly wrong.

Has anyone else ever exported a set to Cockatrice, and if so, how the FUCK do you do it?

That could be pretty neat.

It could be any color really, it was white before under different flavor.
I wanted to give black more plunder effects.

Well it's a blue bend/instant and sorcery matters set. Water/pirate world made the most sense setting wise.

Of course this set won't be as good as Pirate-user's set.

Ugh, I did once, a while ago. It's a fucking pain in the ass. First you have to install an add-on that will get MSE to export to HTML, I think, then export the images too. After that, you will have to manually change the names of the images to match the names of the files, since MSE messes with the names of exported images a lot, like not including commas.

Google is your friend, although this may not work anymore.
reddit.com/r/custommagic/comments/17d7gw/ive_made_a_script_for_mse_to_export_into/

>Of course this set won't be as good as Pirate-user's set.
If you set out with that attitude in mind, why even bother?

I know google is my friend, that's why I tried all that first. I'm actually like, 6 pages deep trying to find out what the fuck an muID is, and why I can't set picURL id="" and some other shit I know nothing about.

I think it's cool that Burning Desire can make it difficult for an opponent to spend lots of mana on spells and so shut down some of their cards. It may be cool, but I think it's unlikely that it's ever going to be worth it to cast this on an opponent.

I think the creature should be 2G, and the ability should be something like
>G: Put ~ from your hand onto the battlefield transformed.
Or something.

"Progenitus can't leave the battlefield".

His -2 is a strictly worse mind rot, my dude. No one would ever play that as its own card.

Because I enjoy designing cards?

>Exiling like what, exactly? Impulse draw?
Impulse draw is just to the end of this turn, with the only exception being Commune with Lava (because you're supposed to spend all your mana just impulsing). For Reader of the Sands, it's a free trigger on an already playable prowess creature. Instead of trying to bend impulse draw to make it work with casting other spells, why don't you just make it rummaging?

Needs to be 2RR.
>But pun!
"Red, red, red", don't care, change it. If I sound like I'm short with you, it's only because you've already gotten feedback and refused to change the card.

I agree that it's not overpowered, but it's not strictly worse than Mind Rot. Mind Rot costs three and nets +1 card advantage. The other is a planeswalker that sticks around after doing his deal. Again, I'd say it's fine though. I like seeing pushed effects.

Personally I feel like this is a great take on a 2 mana walker; the abilities are strong but not broken, and it's further brought down to an acceptable power level by the fact that it can't protect itself and it's in the colors that least often WANT to protect their board state.

Regardless of the shit you might get for the set you're trying to make, I wanted to tell you that your designs are extremely elegant and I really enjoy seeing your cards posted. I personally don't care much for the instants and sorceries theme, but you have a unifying concept of design that makes me think it will come out well.

I like the concept of this, but I'd be careful about making too many like this, because IIRC there is only one hard counterspell in the entire history of magic with only a single blue in its mana cost.

With the direction you took your Gold Red/White cards I was really hoping to see a redirect or copy effect in Red at common or uncommon.

>I mean, how often does Flame Slash see play over Bolt? Instant speed matters.
No, being able to also hit players matters. You're right that instant speed matters, but not being able to cast it end of turn is a huge drop in utility.

As worded, it doesn't use up a land play and is just free ramp. Try: "Return a land you control to its owner's hand: Put ~ ..." Or return a basic land or return a Forest.

Oops, wrong image. I fully expect to get hate for that.

>Power Girl's Distraction
Cool. Note that these cards aren't really going to work like an actual set, they're just a bunch of cards that have similar themes is all. Tried making a set once, probably not going to try again. Also, I'm not entirely sure how you define "hard counterspell" but if that definition includes giving the spell's controller an upside, multicolor cards, or having to pay an additional cost, there are actually a few that say "Counter target spell." But as for the card, what do you think of my other ideas for creatures? Should I follow through on that, or just leave the card as-is?

And here's another card that messes with spells since we're here.

>UW02
First is kinda weird for taxing an ability, but it's not absolutely crazy. Other than that, it seems fine, though I will admit that seeing "Draw a card" as an option just by itself seems strange on a White card, but I get that it turns it into a cantrip if you want it.

I wouldn't give it Haste, frankly. I mean, you won't even need it after the first turn.

Why Indestructible?

Wrath? Ajani is not Elspeth. Or Gideon, the one time he did that.

Emblem looks pretty Ajani, but considering the mana and loyalty costs, I think it should just count each creature you control regardless of type.

This doesn't have to be white. Conditions are tied to certain colors, but some colors can ONLY get certain effects when they come with a condition.

*aren't tied to certain colors
Which means any downside can show up in any color.