Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums.

First time poster, long time lurker.
I'm the DM for a modern post apocalyptic themed Pathfinder campaign with some home brewed races and rules.
I personally pride myself on atmosphere and immersion whenever I'm running a game for my party, very vivid descriptions of locations and characters and music to accompany it.

Do you guys have any songs you could suggest to really set the mood? I'm looking for anything that could raise tension or really drive the whole wasteland feeling home. It doesn't have to be solely instrumental either; all suggestions are welcome.

tl;dr: Post spooky music you use to keep your players on their toes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H__4F3t4IxE
youtube.com/watch?v=1ZZ0DYIkaP8
youtube.com/watch?v=CPdE01SoOBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=cd-Kyk0d3fE
youtube.com/watch?v=acDyfA3_wMk
youtube.com/watch?v=O0yFgE4Uxzo
youtube.com/watch?v=gPxvtYOITvg
youtube.com/watch?v=eCpR3qbWz7A
youtube.com/watch?v=3AmykynKhMw
youtube.com/watch?v=qk3ZbaFaSbI
youtube.com/watch?v=QVxrQ2t_UW4
youtube.com/watch?v=srDIjeO9lpQ
youtube.com/watch?v=p37e0MRt8sk
youtube.com/watch?v=YtUgtX3ncTk
youtube.com/watch?v=HCh8O3aem5s
youtube.com/watch?v=rodLu3o1Qxk
youtube.com/watch?v=i5zC49VLiGU
youtube.com/watch?v=Ibu4bdRWCZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=uutVcxx5RKw
youtube.com/watch?v=YzY2y2YOexk
youtube.com/watch?v=hzcw_0TMNpE
youtube.com/watch?v=HAu1E894IlU
youtube.com/watch?v=6Zd86tO2mMk
youtube.com/watch?v=U8DqBnCoxNo
youtube.com/watch?v=7oF9gmMADag
youtube.com/watch?v=cTxb9oiV70A
youtube.com/watch?v=d7dwehKTjjA
youtube.com/watch?v=HO3XP_9-vH8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZWwvRtZI-6A
youtube.com/watch?v=nDJzf5jqccw
nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=774801
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Will be dumping some art I found that inspired the campaign.

I have no music presently, but thanks for the pics. I like those flying boats.

They're cool right??
The party just recently got their hands on a flying gas barge; basically a floating gas station that serves to refuel said boats. Very cool stuff. I'll try and find a picture of it for you.

>modern post apocalyptic themed Pathfinder campaign with some home brewed races and rules

It's actually a lot of fun and everyone involved is having a good time, I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Sure, why not. some of these are slow-burners but will certainly set up some atmosphere

youtube.com/watch?v=H__4F3t4IxE
youtube.com/watch?v=1ZZ0DYIkaP8
youtube.com/watch?v=CPdE01SoOBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=cd-Kyk0d3fE
youtube.com/watch?v=acDyfA3_wMk

Awesome! Giving these a listen as I write this.
I love really long tracks that you can just slap on and let them unfold. Thanks!

>using pathfinder for a modern game
GOOD GOD WHY

We haven't come across any hitches so far, I don't see the problem with it.

Have you played any system other than Pathfinder?

>American Legionnaire
>M1
>muh dick

I've played 5th ed, which was a whole lot smoother in terms of rules and character creation, other than that... Mutants and Masterminds?

When the only tool you know is hammer, everything looks like a nail to you.

I highly suggest you try something that's not D&D for your modern game. You don't have to homebrew and systems specifically made for post apocalypses.

We're using Pathfinder because everyone who wanted to play knew how it worked. Besides, it's fun to fuck around with the rules and stuff.
One of the party members plays a robot that's essentially a walking woodchipper.

glad to know you're having fun, even if pathfinder is a mess. here's some music i dug up real quick that might fit theme? who's to say

youtube.com/watch?v=O0yFgE4Uxzo

youtube.com/watch?v=gPxvtYOITvg

youtube.com/watch?v=eCpR3qbWz7A

You're probably right, but switching systems 5 months into a campaign would be a nightmare. What we're using works for us. We're playing for the story, not the combat so to speak.

Oh YEAH. These are wicked, particularly the first two. I'm gonna add these to the playlist right away. There's a whole lot of Sci-fi elements blended into the campaign so the second song you posted fits very well with the theme.

It really wouldn't be that much of a nightmare, you can even restat everyone's characters for them.

I really doubt I'm going to go through with it, but for conversations sake, what would you suggest?

youtube.com/watch?v=3AmykynKhMw

>modern post apocalyptic themed Pathfinder
>atmosphere and immersion
Oh no. Really, just... no.

Let me guess,
>Learning PF was so hard and now let's just use it for everything
This is bonkers. D20 isn't the crunch for the setting, especially not if you want to establish atmosphere.

Try Nemesis, CoC7, DG, they all have free versions. If you want it more 90s go with AFMBE, or Cinematic Unisystem. Hell, even all the games I won't suggest would be better than D20.

D20 is made for heroes who grind through powerlevel combat encounters, always going for the next level in a class structure. Combat is clunky and the results are bad. And there's little else in there that is a game.

Eh leave the man be guys, nothing wrong with pathfinder if that's what he wants to play. Stop being gits and contribute constructive content or get out. Op don't know that this would be at all what your looking for, in fact I'm like 90 percent certain it's not, but give the protomen a peak.

For your situation most likely Mutant Future, or Gamma World would fit you. Since both of those are still based off of D&D (Mutant Future is based on OD&D, and the newer editions of Gamma World are compatible with 4th edition) they would be most compatible with players who have ONLY played D&D.

I appreciate the suggestions, genuinely.
I'll look into them for sure, I'm planning on doing a few side sessions of a different thing all together in the near future, might be a good opportunity to try them out.

I didn't find learning Pathfinder too difficult honestly. It was a bit overwhelming with character creation at first but anything after that is just a visit to the SRD.

I guess we have a different playstyle than typical PF players; we sometimes go 2 or 3 sessions without combat. Everybody is super into their characters and we're really focused on developing cohesive and vivid scenes to create a story. I admit it does feel pretty gamey when combat does roll around, but we make it work.

>switching systems 5 months into a campaign would be a nightmare
Only if you don't know the system.

Just think of combat that is resolved in half an hour, and that isn't whittling down the opposition's health with bullets.

Posting some Nuclear Throne.

youtube.com/watch?v=qk3ZbaFaSbI

youtube.com/watch?v=QVxrQ2t_UW4

youtube.com/watch?v=srDIjeO9lpQ

youtube.com/watch?v=p37e0MRt8sk

Oh wait no, I was wrong on Gamma World 7th edition, don't touch that. Use some of the earlier Gamma World editions.

Going by the pics OP would enjoy the Degenesis art.

Just search for Marko Djurdjevic.

Have you considered the prospect of just playing a game system actually suited for modern post apocalyptic campaigns?

>I guess we have a different playstyle than typical PF players; we sometimes go 2 or 3 sessions without combat. Everybody is super into their characters and we're really focused on developing cohesive and vivid scenes to create a story. I admit it does feel pretty gamey when combat does roll around, but we make it work.
All memes aside it honestly sounds like you and your group would really enjoy systems other than Pathfinder a lot more.

If you ever have an hour...
youtube.com/watch?v=YtUgtX3ncTk

Thanks dude, you're the man. I kinda figured there would be some scoffing. I'll totally check it out! I'm doing a bunch of research tonight apparently.

Gotcha. I'm going on a google spree here tonight, I'll be sure to make a folder for it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Oh heck yeah bud. Love that game. Wicked soundtrack to boot! I've actually been using some of the soundtrack already! Thanks!

Whoah. Yeah that looks great. I'm gonna look into it right away. Thank you.

I HAVE but I was never sure which I would go with. I've picked up a handful of ideas from the previous posts though. I'll have to do some comparing to see which would suit our playstyle better.

That seems to be the general consensus, huh.
I'm super open minded about using different systems, it's just switching horses in the middle of the race that I'm worried about.

Oh I have many hours. Listening to this here now.

Agree with you, don't switch you're too far in. Based on you really should try a system with stronger skill mechanics and conversation mechanics.

Look into Apocalypse World and the systems based on it, or Blades in the Dark, or FATE.

youtube.com/watch?v=HCh8O3aem5s
youtube.com/watch?v=rodLu3o1Qxk
youtube.com/watch?v=i5zC49VLiGU
youtube.com/watch?v=Ibu4bdRWCZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=uutVcxx5RKw

Nice! Thank you. I'll take some time and listen to these once I sift through the rest of it!

If I'm doing a post-apocalypse setting, I tend to go pretty minimal with the music- it tends to give it that sort of depressing, empty vibe. You can even have 'happy-ish' music, as long as it keeps that kind of vibe. There should still be moments of joy and beauty in any setting, or it gets too dull and the impact you're trying to get is muted because there's no relief and no change.

A few examples off the top of my head:

>A Winged Victory For The Sullen - Minuet for a Cheap Piano #1
youtube.com/watch?v=YzY2y2YOexk

>Alphaxone - Into The Silence
youtube.com/watch?v=hzcw_0TMNpE

>Pretty much anything by Atrium Carceri

>Carbonscape - When Autumn Comes I'd Like To Die
youtube.com/watch?v=HAu1E894IlU

Deru - 1979
youtube.com/watch?v=6Zd86tO2mMk

Desiderii Marginis - The Ever Green Tree
youtube.com/watch?v=U8DqBnCoxNo

Eluvium - Perfect Neglect In A Field Of Statues
youtube.com/watch?v=7oF9gmMADag

Flowers For Bodysnatchers - Prisoner Of Night And Fog
youtube.com/watch?v=cTxb9oiV70A

Nihil Novi Sub Sole - Walking Over Mother Disease
youtube.com/watch?v=d7dwehKTjjA

>Pretty well anything off Sabled Sun's albums '2145' and '2146'

>Sjellos - Chamber Of Reflections
youtube.com/watch?v=HO3XP_9-vH8

>Ugasanie - The Island Of Terrible Death
youtube.com/watch?v=ZWwvRtZI-6A

Most of these, other tracks by the same artists will also be good. I'll have a look through my library and post more if I have time later on.

youtube.com/watch?v=nDJzf5jqccw

He's one of those "pathfinder is a shit system how dare you have fun stop liking what I don't like" memester fags. Your campaign sounds badass.

Couple soundtracks I can point you to:
>Half Minute Hero I/II OST
Pretty diverse for a bunch of different needs
>One-Punch Man OST
Some badass electric guitar and a lot of emotionally evocative sound. Drum and bass for foreboding atmosphere.
>Shadow of the Colossus
>Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten
>Pretty much any mainline/non-Persona Shin Megami Tensei OST

Thanks a lot dude, I appreciate your help! I'll check them out right away! I can already tell I'm gonna end up adding a few of these to the playlist.
ESPECIALLY the One Punch Man stuff.

Fukken do it, man. OPM is one of the few things I will pay money for, and I'm glad I bought the OST. It's badass driving music.

For a less money-based alternative, there's always torrents. I'd put up a mega, but I don't actually have the One Take Man loaded on my phone.
>nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=774801