/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed) (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Edition: (Cross-thread)

Cloud Giants can smell the blood of an Englishman. What strange quirks do you give the monsters in your game?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1FIxBN5C4YC3-YCCQPg6DCiqXHM7ULO4pokbHQcj0HE0/edit?usp=sharing
pastebin.com/ePYFMF9S
dndadventurersleague.org/adventures/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>What strange quirks do you give the monsters in your game?

Elves don't age as long as they live within a certain temperature band, when they leave that temperature their clock "starts up" again.

This is why Elves seem to live longer in places with noticeable winters, and are practically immortal the further north you go.

Do you do handouts? What's the most creative handout you've seen (or you've have done)?

3rd for Champion Fighters suck noodles

>What strange quirks do you give the monsters in your game?
I give gnolls arabic accents, orcs accents, goblins turkish accents, drow ebonics accents, and cat girls A CUTE![/spoilers]

I do handouts for major NPCs, since my description ability is not the best.

Champion fighters are weaker than all other fighter archetypes~

And somehow Champions are better than Beast Masters.

>~

Seriously?

>comparing fighters to "lolrangers"

There's no reason to be upset~

Nah, purple dragon knights exist.

1) He used to use rapiers, before they found a pair of +1 shortswords (+3 vs. goblins, orcs, and trolls).

2) It's a relatively undead-heavy campaign, so being able to regularly no-sell their attacks is turning out pretty useful

>the most mechanically powerful in the group
Notice how I explicitly didn't say he was an objectively powerful build? Because I was very specifically not implying that. I'm not saying it's good, I'm just saying it's not the garbage you claim it to be.

I'll take a PDK over a champion before level 18.

How silly do you guys let your games get?

I'm currently playing through a campaign with some friends, but due to having busy schedules we decided to make it more episodic, where our characters are under the whim of a powerful wizard who teleports us into quests. The first night I played was pretty straightforward, trying to find a way off of a plateau in total darkness that utimately rewarded us with the remains of our rations stolen by Goblins. The next one had us running through an old mansion haunted by a crazy clown in order to find the wizards most prized possession, which turned out to be a rubber ducky. Our barbarian accidentally chopped it in half causing a giant rubber ducky to fall from the sky and nearly crush us.

The next night had us trying to fix some political tensions between three cities, the first literally filled with Sneefs, who are literal retards, which the DM accentuated by playing meme music while our characters were in there. The second was a highly aristocratic society that hated the Sneefs, and the final city was a bunch of people who changed their culture on a whim. The session came to an end when the third city became a bunch of weeaboos and built a mecha for us to use to wipe out the Sneefs, effectively having us commit genocide which everybody was okay with apparently.

It is garbage. It is worse than any other option - that makes it garbage in 5e. Garbage in 5e = worst options. This is not 3.5 where garbage = everything below tier-3.

Man it is garbage, it doesn't mean it isn't fun to play though. One of my favorite characters is a bladelock and I am OK with being subpar because its totally sick thematically.

By virtue of literally everything being better than Beastmaster?

Hey, in the other thread I posted my first try at a Homebrew Fighter Archetype that keeps up with the Damage output of the Barbarian, Pally, and Hunter Ranger at higher levels. It's based around the Marking Mechanic (As in the DMG/Adapted from 4e). Someone pointed out the 7th level class feat I made, Cross-Counter, resemebled the 14th level Berserker Barbarian power. I've decided to change up that power into something else. Let me know what you all think.

docs.google.com/document/d/1FIxBN5C4YC3-YCCQPg6DCiqXHM7ULO4pokbHQcj0HE0/edit?usp=sharing

If it's worse than EVERY other option, then how is it better than three out of five other party members? That literally doesn't make sense.

>how is it better than three of the other five party members
Either they're playing really weak shit, or else they're retarded.
There are no other alternatives, given melee warlocks are fucking godawful compared to literally any *actual* melee class.

He played smarter/rolled better?

Anecdotal experiences mean nothing since no one game is going to be the same as another. No one player is the same as another. And it is a game of chance. The truth is that by the numbers, it sucks.

>then how is it better than three out of five other sub-optimal builds?

Historically speaking, Tieflings had a welsh accent when they lived together homogenously.

Arcane Archer guy here, tried to come up with a more balanced version: pastebin.com/ePYFMF9S

Changes:
-Imbue Arrow now takes a bonus action if you want to deal cold/elec/fire damage with an arrow. Dropped the single-arrow-scaling thing - it was intended to mimic a cantrip, but was largely redundant.
-Changed the level 7 ability to be more defensive: you effectively turn an arrow into a flashbang, blinding targets that fail a save.
-Seeking arrow is now level 11, and grants advantage if the target has neither cover nor concealment. Phase arrow is removed.
-Oath Arrow now grants a critical hit rather than instant death, and is usable on a short rest rather than a long rest.

Time to pack this General up and start a new one. I can't even blame summer anymore for this bullshit.

>get btfo
>cry and display salt
Go play your bladelock in your magical realm solo campaign bruh.

That's exactly the question I'm asking, man. If undying bladelock is literally THE WORST OPTION, how are there worse options?

1) That's not me
2) It's not my bladelock, I'm the DM

Hey.
Bladelocks suck dude ;)

What are the best debuffs for a Wizard t take? I'd prefer to look for the lower-leveled debuffs; it's for my Necromancer I'm building and I'd like to make sure i can use the higher slots for managing his hoard.

Levitate is a second level save or float harmlessly for a minute with concentration against non-flying melee enemies 500 lbs or lighter.

Tome locks are better. Chain locks are better. Star Chain locks are better.
You literally pick the most useless option when you go blade. Instead of going into melee with your *shit* d8 hit die and *shit* AC, how about stay 100 feet back and shoot eldritch blasts that deal force damage and scales with your fucking spellcasting stat, and which you eventually get to shoot *4 of* instead of being limited to two fucking melee swings?

Curse of Stradh dwarf light cleric or drawf Druid? How would I go playing a dwarf Druid?

You like... rocks.

You know what's a naturally occuring part of nature that Dwarves just love, oh so very much. at least in common fiction

FERMENTATION!
Other than that I'd only think a Dwarf druid would be an outcast from Dwarven society, since it's more a focus on battle hardened/smith hardened/booze hardened. So you'd ultimately be like any other druid....a hermit.

not him, but bladelock will outdmg 5-10 and is roughly the same around 11 falls behind quite a bit once you get fourth ray though. Keep in mind you CAN theoretically get 2 magic swords which will help a bit. So just damage wise you aren't gimping yourself too hard, but you will need to go Fiend and are forced to take certain feats/invocations for survivability (dual wielder feat, several combat invocations like armor of shadows and both blade related ones). Yes it is subpar, but it is totally super fun, requires a LOT of optimization and pre planning that normally shouldn't be required in a build though.

subpar but enjoyably so

>blade lock will out-damage 5-10
Blade lock will also take 10x more damage in melee, and have their concentration interrupted 10x more often ^_^

It will, math it yourself if you don't believe me. I'm not defending it though, I said it's bad. I'm saying that it's a fun build and you won't get bored with it. That's all.

Let's do some math so this Warlock shit will go away. 17th level, when you're throwing four beams. 20 in all relevant stats, to give Bladelock best possible chance..

Agonizing Repelling Spear will throw four beams 300 feet, each doing 10.5(1d10+5), an average of 42 damage total, plus shoving targets backwards. And you still have your bonus action.

Thirsting Lifedrinker will give you two melee attacks with your Pact weapon for, let's assume a rapier, 14.5(1d8+10) each, and then a flat 4.5(1d8) with your offhand, for a total average of 33.5 damage, and it ate your bonus action.

Bladelock falls even further behind when we remember Hex exists, adding an average of 14 damage to the Tomelock (total 56), but only 10.5 to the Bladelock (total 44).

To let the Bladelock well and truly catch up, we would have to either give him two +3 weapons, or allow him to apply his Dex+Cha to his offhand attack as well (perhaps with some sort of magic item property to allow both rapiers to count as his pact weapon). If we are incredibly generous, giving him not just one, but a *pair* of +3 rapiers for his pact blade, he finally pulls ahead with average 52.5 without Hex, 63 with. And he still has to use his bonus action to do it.

Am I missing anything?

It's not fun. Why would I ever do that over a fighter? Or a paladin? Or a *valor bard*?
They'll all do *far more*.
If you want a gish, play something that's *actually good* as a gish.

Because I miss playing a Soulknife, and Blade Pact + Armour of Shadows is 5e's best match right now.

(And it is fun, fuck you)

>Because I miss playing a Soulknife, and Blade Pact + Armour of Shadows is 5e's best match right now.
So play a valor bard and do it better.

>he allows multiclassing in his games
pathfinder babies

You're retarded, the game is more than just mechanics in combat asshole. it's an RPG.

Once I hinted to the party the Modron could draw them a map ("the map is IN the modron") he drew them a perfect map of the mines they were in. I gave them a blank printout of the map.

Except.. no? I don't see Bards having the ability to summon weapons and armour made from sheer willpower at-will.

>I have this concept, but instead of playing a class I can have the *exact same concept* with, I want suboptimal and a edgy! EDGY!
Ite bruh. Do whatchu gonna do.

Except they can.
M A G I C A L
S E C R E T S

>Because I miss playing a Soulknife
The mystic class will hopefully fix this.

>Cloud Giants can smell the blood of an Englishman
good thing I only roll slavs

Ah, yes, of course, the tenth level ability to swipe spells will replace the third level class feature to summon equipment, the core concept of my build. What WAS I thinking.

What spell even summons a weapon for me to use?

our DM makes sure it's a time consuming thing, but a few players cheated it in via backstory

>tfw you stop being a forever DM and finally get to be a player for first time in years 2 starting tomorrow

I've spent more time DMing 5e than playing it (2 & 1/2 years vs 40 mins)

If I want to shit out lighting everywhere, is Blue Dragonborn Draconic Origin Sorceror a good choice?

you enjoying being a PC? we've got a DM in our group as a player, but he seems to enjoy being a DM and runs a few games on the side.

now we'll probably be joining one of his games at his request, and our DM will be a player under him.

There is no hiding, vodkanigger. He has Triple H levels of nose-power.

>the core concept of my build is mage armor and a returning weapon
That's... something.
Spiritual weapon ;)

Being a player is overrated. Being a DM all the time is awesome, especially when your players are good.

I fear I might have been institutionalized

maybe i can't adjust to life outside of the DM Screen?

Yes.

>returning
>spiritual weapon
No, I want to USE it. Hence being a Bladelock. Jesus fuck, how are you this DENSE?

there is no english in the blood, only a long line of snow niggers. when we do not war with ourselves we war with muslim invader. so is with tradition.

find me a kebab smelling giant and we will war the sand together in union.

My problem is that most of the people who want multiclassing just want to do some broken ass build. It doesn't even make sense for the character or anything like that. Especially in 5e, where there is a subclass for most all archetypes so it shouldn't be a problem.

>Hence being a Bladelock

What do I do with DEX though, I want it as a dumping stat but apparently it makes my AC go up.

get a booklet to hide all of your player info no one really cares about besides the DM

if you like to fudge some dice rolls as a DM to make things more fun it might suck a bit. those clear NAT 1's are suffering sometimes.

Dex is good. Go for it after prioritizing Cha follow by Con as your tertiary stat. 14 or even 12 is fine.
Standard array I'd go 8/13/14/10/12/15 if I'm playing a human, and put my human ability increases in Cha and the 13 which is either in Dex or Con.

You might want to consider the Storm Sorcery origin from SCAG as well.

>but mooom, they're having fun wrooong!

Like I said, ours tries to make sure there's a reason for someones character to do the multiclass thing (which is why two tried to add it to their backstory). He also makes sure to read up on what they want beforehand, and refuses if he finds out they're trying to make a broken meta build.

His reasoning is that it isn't fair to the rest of the party. He has to mess around with the CR of combat to account for their OP build, which us normal players can't handle. Sometimes people who try to make meta builds are bad at the game and end up dying regardless, which can create a potential party wipe situation if the GM had to up the CR and our over powered players go down.

I wouldn't mind you in my game bruh - you'd made me look amazing by comparison!
Keep doin' you!

Still the DM, man.

>No, I want to USE it. Hence being a Bladelock
If you're not this guy, who I responded to, don't respond to my posts expecting me to think you're a different person. But who am I to question your brilliance, oh bladelock-defending-man?

ganon just needs sunblock, he's actually of scottish decent

Does the Unearthed Arcana: Ranger make Spirit Path replace Hunter/Beastmaster specialization or is it simply an addition?

dex based EK with mage armor

I dunno, man. Sounds like the Sneefs had it coming.

So.... Psionics?

Never liked it

Looking foward to it.

What could possibly go wrong?

Expect 1-3 more UA playtest revisions before seeing them in a book.

Reminder that classes shouldn't be taken as how you should roleplay and things can be imagined differently thematically.

Has the dndadventurersleague.org/adventures/ password for SKT gone out yet?

I wang it bad.
I'm a 2e fag and as fucking cheesy as they were they were a fun addition to the game for us back when.

It's hekatonsmight but they aren't giving out any of the adventures for free anymore (except A Great Upheaval, which is free on DMs Guild anyway).

A friend of mine joined a new campaign I've started and it feels like he treats everything like he would in skyrim. I feel like playing those games is the closest he's ever come to playing d&d but how can I try to ease him away from a video game mindset? For reference, here's a few things he has done:
>don't have money to buy gear that I want? Start stealing until I do
>I'm getting low on health? Run away and save my skin even though everyone else is staying to fight
>while everyone else explores the town or talks with npcs he stays where he is (admittedly this is prolly because he's new)
>fighting enemies and one of the other pcs want to catch for them alive? I'm going to kill them all

Ah, lame. Will they still make their way to the MEGA, or should I resign myself to shelling out the dollars?

They'll end up in there so long as someone contributes them.

You need to give consequences for actions you want to discourage, and rewards for actions you want to encourage.
>Stealing is a crime. The consequence is the town guard being called. Conversely, there's plenty of mercenary work. It's called adventuring.
>Eh, running away is frankly often smart. The party can take him to task for it if it bugs them, elsewise it's just an interesting character trait.
>Have wandering NPCs encounter him, greet him, talk to him, get him used to the flow of there being more to NPC dialogue than "Sigh. Times are tough."
>This is not a thing for the DM to intervene in. Like with fleeing, the party has to take him to task for it. Tell the party that you're not going to stop him, but they're welcome to discuss it with him both during and outside the game.

does anyone have the king of the cats pdf?

What Faerun faction would a warforged most likely belong to? I was thinking the Harpers, but am still iffy on if they are organized enough to make warforged.

None, because there are no warforged in Faerun.

Try playing a superior setting that has them, like Eberron.

>playing in an already existing world instead of making your own
pathetic

Warforged do not exist on Faerun but they will when Spelljammer comes back

Alright then what faction would an awakened magical construct most likely belong to?

So, how does Adventurers League work, anyway? Is it like Pathfinder adventure paths, where they give you 4-5 weeks worth of adventure every month? Do they give you a one-night adventure every week? Somewhere in between?