WIP - Painting/Sculpting/Converting General

Work In Progress thread - "not waiting until page 11" edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

>Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM
youtube.com/watch?v=O5Re9jTuWPk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I've just got the Renegade box set which has 2 Knight Titans. Them coupled with my Cerastus Lancer and a whole lot of infantry are going to make up my traitor Imperial Guard army.
They're going to be followers of Tzeentch. I need a color scheme and conversion ideas.
I'm already planning on sculpting lots and lots (and lots) of feathers.

Any other ideas, Veeky Forums?

Pic related is not mine, I just googled "tzeentch titan" and came up with that.

pls respond

>how to palette? I know there's something people do to get a wet, re-usable palette.

Follow this lad's advice:

youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

to the guy getting himself a cutting mat. I got one when i ordered my tools from gntools.uk the pricing was very fair on both the tools and mat but when i got it I realized it wasnt self healing
or if it is, its not able to 'heal' like the better ones are. Make sure you're getting an actual self healing one. xacto being a great brand. the clear ones arent worth shit dont bother with them.
that being said the mat works fine and $40 for a mat, a full tool set (2 drills, a set of small drill bits, 6 pairs of tweezers, snips, sculpting tools, and 4 files) as well as shipping was a hell of a deal.

>If I use super glue thin to put them onto the base, then paint them, can I pop them off the base and scrape off the glue residue and then re-attatch them later when the base is done?
You could.
It's easier to just put a pin into the feet of the mini and stick that into a cork, hand drill or what have you.
You'll need it anyway to pin the models to the new bases afterwards if you already covered the surface of the base with something else.

> Basing, I want to paint my models then put them onto a base which I made, but I don't want to put them onto a base before I paint it. If I use super glue thin to put them onto the base, then paint them, can I pop them off the base and scrape off the glue residue and then re-attatch them later when the base is done?

Don't pop them off or anything. Drill holes in the base and the model and do something like pic related, Use clipped paper clips as the metal rods in the bottom of the model. Slide the rods into the base holes and glue it on the bottom when you're done painting both the model and base.

One user commented that my paint style is a bit muddy, I'm inclined to agree. I think I got impatient and slapped on too many layers at once for this guy.

I think if I slow down and do more even layers it'll look much better, not using 5 year old paints will probably also help. But fuck it I have 5 more of these guys to finish.

I like it, a unit of these guys will definitely look awesome and epic on the tabletop.

Reposting my stuff from least thread because it took me two damn month to finish seven minis.

Can't help you with the palette, but if you want to seperate base and model, the best way to do that is by drilling and pinning them. So you can see where the model will be once it's finished and you can also put the model onto another pin for easyier handling while painting it. Added benifit is that it wont break off just like that once you're done and glued it to the base/pin. I'd never recommend using super glue to fix something temporarily, the residue is just too thick and there's always a chance that you'll break something.

The last layer of white in the juggie seems a bit to bright/blunt and really stands out. You could go back and change that to a smoother look, that would probably help. Also the skin on the guy's head looks like it could use some highlights, it looks somewhat flat. These are nitpicks, mind you, your model looks really fucking good.

And the lord to go with that unit. Ready to kick blue butt at the end of the month.

First time modeling fire, kinda happy how it worked out in the end, although it's really hard to create good looking flames with green stuff.

>2 months
>7 minis

Thats not to bad. Thats about 8,9 days a miniature, and lets say you put a few hours in every other day if you can.
Good job though, I'm not a big fan of the nurgle theme, but I like the bolters and the bases, especially the one with the face on.

Thanks for the advice, anons.
Mostly I'm interested in doing this as a hobby. I enjoy the building/painting aspect of the game, but not much interesting in owning army after army. If I can sell what I make for at least a bit more than I spent on the models then I'd be golden.

>two damn month to finish seven minis
Stop bragging, not all of us can paint that fast

I've been keeping up with fantasy and 40k but haven't bought models for a long time. Out of the few boxes I've bought I've never fully painted them, except for a space marine squad. They looked decent enough for people outside of the hobby, but I was straight painting them without any techniques or equipment other than a brush.

I'm about to get a job where I can finally afford the hobby. So my question...

How many hours/army sets did it take for you all to become good miniature painters?
Am I going to blow through a lot of miniatures, or if I follow the right techniques and have the right tools will I slowly but surely produce decently painted armies?

OK ITS TIME YOU STARTED WATCHING SAINT DUNCAN.

I only just got a job and it took me like. 140 little guardsmen. 30 odd Marines, 10 necrons and 5 Nobs. Plus Two chimeras and a leman russ. To finally find my Painting style.
It drastically improved the moment i watched the How to paint guide videos.
Holy shit
so many things i had never thought to do. and it drastically improved how everything looked.

I managed to add some more guns to my techmarine.

Anyone seen any good coversions for this guy?

Rather ironically, I don't really think the flayed-flesh look that he and Astorath's armors have will go too well with my rather spartan Flesh Tearers.

He also has a flame motif on his other side, which never ceases to make me think of those black shirts with the flames at the bottom.

How hard do you think it would be to green-stuff over and/or shave off these details?

Why not just get a different chaplain model? There are several good ones, and you can always use a Legion of the Damned sergeant as well.
Or do you already have the model?

Has he got a little painted on mustache?

I was going to get the new Death Company box and he comes in it, see pic.

The box saves me around $43.25 US, and I can always use another Chaplain to go along with Lemartes.

And the Finecast one with the Jump Pack.

And the Chaplain from Calth.

And the ~2 other proxy Chaplains I have.

Besides, I can use the extra Death Company; I only have around 35 right now.

I mainly just want another Death Company Dreadnought to keep Cassor from getting lonely.

Of course he does; it's painted on with blood.

BLOODSTACHE FOR THE BLOOD GOD

Is it acceptable to have less detail on horde models?

Ive got 300 boyz to paint and im considering just doing 3 colors and a dip

They're your models, it's acceptable to do whatever you want to them. But keeping it 3 colors and a dip will probably help you retain your sanity.

Reminds me of this thread where this single mom brought home a /b/-tard and they fucked on her daughter's bed for some reason. She was on her period and didn't tell him, so he Hitler-stached the daughter's teddy bear with his bloody dick.

Eh, just spray them yellow, drybrush your highlight color green over it and wash it green. You can do an ork every 20 minutes like that. Honestly, the best part about orks is how you get to customize everything.

How many times are you ever going to play 300 models ?

repost from an earlier thread, all WIPs, ghazghkull is finished except for the base, ideas what to add to it?

a GW base

Lighter sand color.

I'd invest a bit and subcontract a painter or two

You also should sell units seperate and not whole armies to get a little more money.

>How many hours/army sets did it take for you all to become good miniature painters?

That depends entirely on you user.
Some people learn faster, others need years.. some will never really learn it. Its just like with all things involving skill.

If you watch tutorials, keep asking questions here or elsewhere and with proper tools you can get decent results within the first box (5-10 minis painted) i'd say.

Grots dragging tools and ammo, maybe make a separate base with a banner pole carrier

I had made my own out of a breakfast platter from Jack in the Box. great size for it. Wouldn't have thought of it without seeing that video months ago, though.

I think you should do a quick tabletop standard for them, but if any of the models do anything memorable then you should update their paint job for maximum Your Dudes,

Solar auxilia malcador :)

These look incredible. Great work!

The inside of the barrels looks a little bright though? Other than that excellent.

Do what i do
give em a basic 3 colour and a dip. then play them
Gradually Improve the models that do something cool.
For instance. a team that Killed a bunch of Chaos Space marines got a red Inquisition mark on Their shoulder plates.
i also Highlighted them, added exra details. Even put a few Scrapes and Gashes into a few Plates of armour. Makes em actually look like veterans rather than just Out of the Wood work infantry.

Make your commander look nice though. He needs to be distinguished from the horde.

How long does GW keep your white dwarf in store anyway? Haven't found the time to pick mine up as they are closed when I'm off from work. Really want that slaughterpriest.

call them or write an email and ask

Love it!

Deathwatch Watch Master

WIP!

So /wip/ I'm not sure where to post this but I guess I'll put it where there's actual people who paint.
What do you think of pic related? There's a project going on kickstarter and the basic version looks nice (not interested in the expensive dildo handle), I might get one. Have you experience with similar products, maybe the earlier models? Is it useful or just a shitty gizmo?

Its very useful but it can be build easily by yourself.

Its not extremely expensive though, so just go for it if you can afford it. There are worse ways for waste money.. for example citadel mold line remover tools.

Gimmick as fuck.

Case in fucking point has done the same thing with a wine cork

Ey guys, I have been looking for a regular Imperial citizen looking guy to defile him (Think event horizont) to make my renegade psyker. Problem is, I cant find regular looking guys to convert. Ive searched for other civilians, but scale or quality wont fit. Ideas?

Looks promising user.

The pose is super static though.. i'm not a big fan of that model

Looks really good already.

Thanks guys!

>mfw

>visions doesnt exist anymore
>merged with WD
>get a free slaughter priest with it

Meh, now I have to pay that damn thing I guess

Krylon makes the best spray paint.
youtube.com/watch?v=O5Re9jTuWPk

It 150 pages of awesomeness. They really improved and it shows that they try to do good there.

For me the question is if they can continue on that level with the next issues.

They even do a live stream event on twitch right now covering some kind of AoS tournament. I'm absolutely surprised and impressed by GW at this point

>finger mould lines
no, GW (smartly) cut the sprue to have the mold line align with the power armored finger sections

How do you get your metals like that?

Which metal is that? Gold?

>Gold
>Base with leadbelcher
>Retributor Armour
>Wash the center of the section with Agrax in the center, let it dry
>(repeat)
>(repeat)
>(Do this until it looks bronze / browny but the edges should still look quite bright)
>highlight edges with ironbreaker
>fine highlight edge with stormhost

Grey Space Wolf user here.

Wulfen Champion update from my White Dwarf Slaughterpriest.

I was lucky that fantasy Ork boar rider has perfect sized hand for the right hand to match the left.
Used an Ork forearm that wasn't bulky enough so did some Greenstuff muscle work to bulk it up.

All that is left is a storm shield to go on the right arm once the back hand fluff has cured.

Brutal.

Looks like he's mid primal / roar scream in pure anger, love it.

Greenstuffed arm is going to get veins too right?

Yeah. didn't want to do too much at once or I'll end up smushing the fluff.

Very nice! Gives out all the right crazy homicidal vibes.

Is there anything agrax won't do? Together with nuln oil they're the duct tape of mini painting, best citadel products by far.

I have been trying to get a nice colorscheme for these guys, I painted one for test, what do you think?

>when your edge highlighting has been on point forever but you move house and you begin fucking up because the paint consistency magically goes down the drain, too watery or too dry, and you get mad and cant highlight without shakey angry hands

autism is a curse

Which How To videos would you recommend?

it looks nice. The robes on the dude and on the horse are the same colors, so it is a bit hard to see the distinction between his leg/robs and the horse.

The shading on the bones also is pretty dramatic. Not bad looking, just maybe overly shadowed? If it were mine, I would make it a bit more bone colored and a bit less dark.

Not him, but whichever one relates to the models you have or want to paint. There's a great new series of hobby tips as well, which are useful for learning new techniques, and they're short, less than two minutes long.

Don't be afraid to make the contrast much higher. Don't get me wrong, it's well painted but if you made the spots away from the light much darker while making the fire and surrounding area much brighter, the effect would really come out much better.

If you keep that quality on whole army, I wish I could play with you someday.

you might wanna go with a shoulderpad on the the other arm, seems like just a tad too much fur or maybe it just didn't come out as good as other areas, it just looks a bit off from the other spots, looking cool though overall

Thanks for feedback.

On the photos submitted, I see what you mean but I think it's angle and lighting.

Here's a closeup.

Nah, you just need to start writing down your rituals so you can recreate them easily.

by effect you mean the fire? I already tried with a brighter fire but it looked weird

yeah the strong shadows in the bone serve as contrast for the robes

thanks, the rest of the army has different levels of quality, I have been painting it over a long time

It's supposed to be kind of glowing and ghostly, right? A high contrast would help that. It's very tame right now.

After a long delay I'm finally just getting on with priming. I hope it isn't too thick, I've never used spray primer before (used brush primer before).

Here are two techmarines, I need to finish converting the other ones power axe before I finish him off.

First tactical squad, some of the painted ones were done months before. Still experimenting with techniques. Will try only using the glaze nuln oil after the primer and go over it with base and layers. I hope the conversions come through in the pictures.

Got started on the two rhinos. That was the easy part, the green stuff fuckery is going to take a lot more time.

Thanks guys. Mostly stuck with the Death Guard theme because it's easy and fast to do. Got to paint exactly 1005 points until the end of the month.

Still working on a slaanesh champion based on this guy - never liked the flayed look for blood angels, though.

Looks really hot. It's black, gold, gun metal and red, just the best colour scheme imaginable.

Huge improvement on the original, as far as i'm concerned.

Looks really damn good user. Robes and saddlecloth being the same colour doesn't really matter. That's just about all i have to add.

Second tactical squad.

HQ dreadnought. Forgot to mention most of the army is magnitised. I'm not too sure about the head, what do you guys think? I've used to good ones on my techmarines and wanted something suited towards a HQ.

nah not really, I have never seen a ghostly effect that looks good, so I settled for that

Johnny do you copy?

Can someone post the collage of all the other Johnnys? Need some inspiration before I start. Decided to do the base first this time, it's about half done then it's time for Johnny himself. I'm going to need to buy one of those $7 agrax pots first though...

I only have the first one.

Does anyone have a good bone recipie? I'm looking for more of a white bone color for bone protrusions in my chaos models. Thank you

that works, thanks

I usually use karak stone, then do progressive layers of karak stone mixed with vallejo off white until I reach the tips which are then just bone white. Then I wash with either agrax or seraphim depending on how dirty I want the bone to be.

where do you guys get that magic brush cleaning fluid cylinder thing I see posted here? my brushes need some serious help

So I just inhaled some acrylic dust and now I feel dizzy. Am I gonna die?

That Shadowsword (?) is pure sex user.

I'm fucking autistic about moldlines and it takes me soo long to clean my models.
I really love assembling and converting but the prep work is so taxing. Basically spent the day building 8 Khorne Marines for my Daemonkin and only 2 1/2 are done.

There's like 10 baneblade variants of which I'm aware and probably dozens more I don't know, but this specific one has a MASSIVE volkite gun on top.

Basically this thing shoots heat rays to set shit on fire over a good distance.

Oh cool! An Auric Patricians Johnny!

If you can somehow find tomb king bits that aren't being sold for their weight in gold, I would grab a warsphinx or related bits to trick out the knights for a thousand-son-esque theme.

Or if you wanted to go dirty chaos slap on a bunch of chaos spawn bits and greenstuff.

Day 10 Progress.

I am so sick of gold trim, but it's coming along. Should I leave it more matte or use a glossier coat of seal to give it some shine after?

Base needs a chunk of work, going to raise the earth around the feet so that there's a smooth transition between the small and scenic base.

Also adding that I'm of course cleaning up the spillover spots of gold afterword.

Planning stage of my Emperor's Children Sonic Dreadnought.
Still sanding down the back of the Dirge Casters and I plan to remove the cables from them facing the impromptu sarcophagus.
Ectoplasma Cannon representing a Blast Master, additional cabling probably to be added from the main body to the cannon.
Paint will be completely redone-- what do you think of the concept?

That thing is regal as fuck.

I like everything but the helmet. Sonic dreads should be loud. If you want a great head concept for one like that, look up 2nd edition noise marines, with the speaker faces. Something like that would blend in better with the bits one the dread.

torso looks a bit too pushed forward and the head doesn't match too well like the other user said, could use a bit more chaos-ing up on the left arm and legs if possible

Any chance you could give me the GW equivalents?

oh and you've got the leg armor up-side-down