Malifaux- "These puppets are too damned cute" edition

Books:
mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - not yet; if you have scans/pics please post.

Book 4 card pics: imgur.com/a/vJ5g0 imgur.com/a/tjdx4

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives.

New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules:
themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/114900-gaining-grounds-2016/

Last thread: Topics:
>what malifaux stuff are you doing this weekend?
>If wyrd started putting out the puppets again as legal proxies of models would you buy them?
>Which is your favorite puppet?

Other urls found in this thread:

schemesandstones.wordpress.com/2016/07/21/building-on-a-budget/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Painting and playing a rematch game of Lilith's grow list vs. Perdita
>If wyrd started putting out the puppets again as legal proxies of models would you buy them?
Yeah probably.
I really like the Nurse myself. but the concept art for the misaki one looked great.

Hopefully play my first real game with my brother so we can both learn the rules.
Those sound neat
No clue.

Just a reminder that we have a new global event

Why is the art so shit compared to the regular Malifaux stuff?

How's the event work? Guessing you need to play down at the LGS?

Aren't the art in the books paintings of the 3d renders?

No, but to get a free miniature every other week you do.

Essentially play a story encounter with an opponent, and the winner submits the results online.

Cause it's going to change over the course of the campaign.
you need to sign up with the wyrd forums and play games with another person who is also doing the event. You need to fill out a form saying who you were representing faction wise, your opponents faction and if you won or lost.

To avoid a bunch of people choosing the same faction and rofl-stomping the other factions bruteforcing a choice, the wins of the faction are going to be divided by the amount of players playing the faction. Meaning it's not the quantity of the players but the quality of the games that counts.

Well that sounds like a ton of fun. I'm gonna have to jump in on that. Gotta represent those Gremlins.

I'm still torn on what I want to rep since Neverborn is coming out of the goddamn woodwork in my meta. Seriously we did a callout to see who was going to represent and neverborn came out 6 strong, and one guild player announcing his intentions (he only owns the perdita crew and is pretty new to the game though)
I'm honestly torn. I want to pull something out that people won't expect and I think it's gonna be outcasts considering I own the entire faction sans Barrows. And it would give me a chance to put a dent into painting them.

Do it.
I'm personality going gremlins or maybe ressers.

Is Levi still top tier? I just bought his box, but I'm hearing the nerf hit him harder than intended.

Von Schill is pretty middling, so I don't want to be stuck with to lackluster boxes starting out.

Do you mean the Puppet War minis, or Collodi's crew?
Or did they do other puppets?

My tournament isn't until next week, so I plan on studying the strats and figuring out exactly which models to use for conquest purposes. I also want to get some more painting on my brother's 10T stuff.
I might, mostly to get a Vik of Blood proxy since mine lost the non-sword-carrying arm in a fatal shag carpet accident. Otherwise meh.
Not Collodi's as---Oh you mean puppet wars? I dunno.

I'm repping outcast and will be pushing the jokester lady for Summer Slam.

I'm hoping for the longshot of having another Sister to replace the student of conflict who never sees play.

Working on my Lilith crew. Babies and Tree People don't assemble themselves.
Why not.
Artwork wise, Lady Justice.
Never seen the minis though.

>No, but to get a free miniature every other week you do.
You get the free mini if you participate in all five sessions, not one for each one you participate in.

Nothing this weekend, but I'm running a tournament next weekend and starting up a campaign to coincide with the global event on Monday.

Hell yes

Lucius

>>If wyrd started putting out the puppets again as legal proxies of models would you buy them?
Wait, is that a thing? I remember something about Puppets War models being legal proxies but never confirmed if that was official. Please tell me it's a thing.

What free miniature?

>Being this competitive about Malifaux
Please don't.

Also a note for the global event. You are not faction locked. I, for example, am going to try and lead each character into a different faction to suit my nefarious needs.

Should've chosen coop games instead if you don't like competition that much.

He's not ezmode any more, so the tourneyfags are salty about losing their crutch.

He's still solid.

Also
>Von Schill is middling

Ok, kid

I want Warmachine to leave.

hey, potential new player here and I wanted to know if this game has "starter" boxes and if there is anywhere that can tell me how the starters play

The game has a starter box that provides four models to two factions, a mini-rulebook that is also a slow build tutorial, two decks of cards, and two tape measures.

The booklet is really handy as a way to learn how to play and the models are mercs so they can be used in any faction you end up going to.

I have no Idea what is in the two player box but I want to get into the guild and they seem to have a lower model count and they look cool to me. does the two player box booklet read about building into guild? and what armies are in the two player box?

OK, Warmachine left. This is now a Warmachine-free thread.
also, you used up your only wish

It has Master-based starters - usually a master + their totem + a heavy beater + 3 plain grunts. They tend to be a good starting point for building into that master.

Two-player box contain 4 models for Guild and 4 for Neverborn. All of them have the Mercenary trait so you can hire them out of faction at +1 cost. Personally I'd skip the big box and get something you like the look or potential playstyle of, unless you really want the decks/tapes.

Whelp, there goes my gremlin/resser voodoo crew.

I think, I'll go with the smaller guild box then, are there printed rule books or are they free online? I prefer printed to be honest.

There are printed rulebooks and the rules are free online. The big books have fluff and unit stats, the small one is just rules.

Which Guild crew strikes your fancy?

I'm looking at them now and to be honest I like three of them. The Guild's Judgement, the latigo posse and bound by law look really cool.

schemesandstones.wordpress.com/2016/07/21/building-on-a-budget/

This might be a good place to look. Bear in mind that you can probably get a cheaper price on monkeysword or other dealers.

Puppet wars minis

I take the student sometimes, I feel the main problem with her is that if she hands out fast she doesn't get to move, so it's usually better to bring oath keeper on something rather than spend the 4 stones to hire her.

They aren't legal for tourney play but so long as it's on the right base size and you let your opponent know I haven't met one who has a problem with the puppet proxies.

>The Guild'sJudgement
Solid starter. Lady J is pretty easy to learn: walk up and hit people with your sword. Judge is a good all around hench and death marshals are good at doing schemes and have the incredibly powerful pine box. 27SS before upgrades.

>The Latigo Posse
Pretty elite crew. 32SS before upgrades. Perdita is one of the killier masters out there with good range, ignoring armor/cover, and a consistently damaging attack. Francisco is bro tier, buffing a model's defensive stats, moving friendlies around, and saving models from engagement, plus he hits like a truck. Bit on the fragile side, though. Nino is a decent sniper who can shut down interactions, Santiago is a bullet sponge who can have one or two brilliant turns, Papa is slow and dangerous but can make your models even more deadly or blow up a cluster of models, and the Nephilim is a great little totem that aids your mobility.

>Bound by Law
Definitely the hardest to start with. Lucius orders his minions around and pulls shenanigans with scheme markers, though he tends to be a bit resource intensive. Dashel supports other guardsmen and can now summon Guild Guard. Guild Guard are cheap bodies that can help with scheming, Lawyers are annoying models that punish your opponent for hurting you, and the scribe is a cheap body that can tie models down. Hard to learn, not terribly strong, and needs a lot of additions to work well, so I wouldn't recommend for a newbie

Damn the is helpful. I don't know a lick of the rules but the models are pretty cool. Thank you

Alright guys, so Outcasts is decided, Considering I own every master save for Parker in the faction and have a good grasp on the rules what master should I start practicing with? I've already gotten a few games under my belt with Misaki and those games ended with wins for me, I feel she's more playing 10T in outcasts though.

what mini is it?

She is crazy annoying with survivalist, cutpurse, and disguised. Jump around, filch soulstones, hit people, push out of engagement, can't be charged, and enjoy Hard to Kill and super healing.

Jack and the Viks are benefit a lot from gitting gud. Jack can control the board, Viks cam wipe it.

Tara takes a lot to learn, but can be very rewarding.

Which one have you enjoyed playing or just like the look of?

I'll have to try disguised one of these days, I've got a list that is nothing but disguised models and snipers that I'm dying to try out.
I like all of their respective flavors honestly.

Sorry, Didn't quite finish that thought.
>Jack
Love the CR7, we have a guy who is getting big into Daw right now, but I think I could probably run him based on the games I've played against him and mistakes I've seen made.
>Viks
Been wanting to run them for a while, almost played them in an escalation league but at 35 points with blood costing 10 to hire by herself I was getting trounced in my practice games.
>Hamlin
I'm kinda worried about games taking forever but I kinda want to play him in the near future.
>Schill
I've got a hell of an annoying sniper list for Schill and friends planned out.
> Misaki
Infiltrating Jorogumo is great, I've had great games with her in the past.
>Tara
Still trying to wrap my head around her, May bust her out once I get Hannah painted.

They haven't said yet. I imagine that it will be an alternate figure of some sort.

All that it says is a limited edition model.

>No, but to get a free miniature every other week you do.
>You get the free mini if you participate in all five sessions

What?

From reading the announcement page, the top 3 Factions will get a new unit/character added at the end.
Where does free model come into it?

Aaaand I saw a thing in the forums.
Why was that not smack in the middle of the announcement page, if they are trying to maximise the player base?

>From the Store page:

We ask is that you keep track of every player who plays in at least one event game during each section of the event (every two weeks). At the end, we'll send you an e-mail asking you how many players participated in every one of the 5 sections of the event.

If you do, Wyrd will send a store kit to your distributor which they will include in your next order. The store kit will include a variety of freebies and limited edition models, including one for each player who participated in the entire event (all 5 sections).*

So, I haven't bought into Malifaux yet, but the Master that always really appealed to me was Lucius and I got scared away from playing him because according to the guys in my local scene he's unmitigated unplayable garbage. I've heard he's gotten a lot better recently by way of minions that synergize well with him, and I wanted to ask you guys

> 1) Is Lucius playable currently? Not competitive even; I just want to be able to win a game occasionally

> 2) If I want to start with him, what are the "must haves" to make him sing? I know the basic rules of the game but a lot of the complex interplay still eludes me.

Thanks!

is there an epub version of the rulebook?

To clarify, I like both Guild and Neverborn equally so faction doesn't overmuch matter.

>1)
Yes, but he is still hard, not super beginner friendly
>2)
It depends on the faction. Witchling Thralls are a Guild model, so I would swing that way. That said get austringers, ,aybe riflemen, a doppleganger, mimics, and of course grab Witchling Thralls and Terracota Soldiers when they come out.

No. Frankly a rulebook with set page sizes and frequent illustrations wouldn't make sense as an epub.

Parker now has lazy man's hail of bullet markers.

Is there any downside/extra work for the store?

Looking at the page and the sign-up sheet, they don't seem to want anything more than an attendance register and a few posters put up.

Any store owners/employees about with experience dealing with Wyrd?

I want to hassle my FLGS to do this, but if they're going to have to do a shitload of back-stage work it might not be the best.

new guy back, what is the difference between fate and arsenal decks?

Fate decks are the decks of numbered playing cards you use for flips.

Arsenal decks are boxes with all the stat cards for all the models in your factions.
My FLGS guy said they were now out of print, presumably so they can add the Wave 4 stuff to them, so be aware that you may not be able to get some factions', and they aren't truly complete.

Arsenal decks are the 2nd edition cards for the first two books. They're there to help people who played in 1st edition get caught up with cards for stuff they already own.

Fate decks are the 54 card deck you use in play.

got it. thank you.

>They're there to help people who played in 1st edition get caught up
Does that mean they're not going to bere-printed?
Because that's shitty if so...

Not by the company, but you can get them at wargame vault for waves 1 and 2. After that you get them from the actual box they came in or wargame vault as there are no more arsenal decks planned.

Yup. They rolled out a different service to take its place though. Wargamevault does card prints on demand now.

Cool! I was kind of thinking a gunline of two riflemen and Captain Dashel to soup them up, with a doppelgänger for versatility and Witchlings or Illuminated as my beaters.

I've seen various folks say that postage to the UK is a bit much though.
The remaining decks only cost about £6 ($10?) at my FLGS, paying much more than that seems silly.

>wargame vault for waves 1 and 2.
Does that mean that you can only get W3&4 cards in their boxes?

can someone post parker barrows' upgrades?

Wave 3 cards can be found, but unless you're proxying or using the old 1st edition metals, just get the boxes you want. Wave 4 cards have not been released yet on the vault.

They're in the OP.

Would you be willing to hire masters for like 20 SS - their cache? Any masters that would work well together?

Ressers would generally work together for extra summon spam

Wouldn't they just clash for crows and markers?

Do you mean henchmen? In standard games you can only have one master, and you must play a 35SS game or higher to include a master (maybe 30SS but definitely not less).

I mean masters as in hire McCabe for 18 SS.

Your leader never costs any SS to hire. The cache is just what you get if you build a 50SS including models and upgrades.

The reason Henchmen get caches is that in smaller games, they can be leaders (and wouldn't cost anything) while in larger ones with masters, you have to pay for them.

Now in campaign games this is a little different. Is that what you're playing?

The question is more a curiousity. "Would you be willing to hire masters for like 20 SS - their cache?" As in, build a three leader crew if you can manage. The gang is interested in whackey adventures and it's like one of the ideas we're toying with.

Start with your leader, make other masters optional hires. Would 20-cache be too much? Or too little? It's essentially 3 models, so that's quite a bit tradeoff, but.

Ahhh I gotcha.

Well in the campaign rules, a master counts as having a cost of 15SS, so I think that's a better gauge of cost. There's no discount for Cache since it's assumed that that's a balancing factor.

What is the average game size?

50 soulstones

Only a little they're going to be fighting over the sme resources.

I FUCKING HATE spray on varnish.
Clouded up 3 models I was working on.
Tried to apply some paint on matt varnish cause the 'net said that would work, it didn't. So I had to repaint 4 hours of work in 2 hours, and it still doesn't look as good as it did.

So fucking mad I don't even want to work on my outcasts which I really need to start.

Is it totally counter-intuitive to take Death Marshals with Sonnia? They don't synergize with her in any way but they seem to be a good general unit, scheme dropper, and most importantly they look dope. I was thinking about taking this for a small friendly 35ss force:
-Sonnia
-Purifying Flame
-Hopkins
-3x Death Marshals
-1x Witchling Stalkers

I played a game tonight which went well, but I am now considering dropping a marshal for a Witchling + Sonnia's summon upgrade

I'd love to be able to play Somer and Nico together. Lol

I'd want to turn 3 gremlins into 6, turn kill then for 12 cards and 6 corpses. Then turn those into 6 mindless zombies. Then turn those into more cards and flesh constructs. Then next turn dump your hand to give them all reactivate.

Henchmen are 13 minus their pool. 20 gingerly doesn't sound far off.

Summoning witchlings is bomb.

If you bump up the list later, is grab a witchling handler. Handing out burning makes summoning witchlings easier.

I'm thinking about running the Crossroads 7 against the newer players in my meta. I feel like I might be beating up on them too hard Do they need to take their lumps or do you think the CR7 would be a good intro to 50ss games?
What faction would you run them as?

>>what malifaux stuff are you doing this weekend?
I did nothing.
>>If wyrd started putting out the puppets again as legal proxies of models would you buy them?
I already use Dora as a Sorrow.
>>Which is your favorite puppet?
Pandora and Teddy.
Really wish I could remember where my Teddy got to.

Pic isn't mine.

>I FUCKING HATE spray on varnish.
Brand?
But this is why I've never varnished anything I painted.

Nowt this weekend, but next week hopefully a shedload of games and hardcores to celebrate Divergent Paths.

Where can I see the whole range of puppets with decent pictures?
I'd consider some for a Mannequin-heavy list, as a Colette player.

Give me ideas for a campaign crew, please.

>Where can I see the whole range of puppets with decent pictures?
Boardgamegeek.

Mortimer and Sebastian. Chill and drop two canine remains a turn to run schemes and chew on your opponent. Maybe throw Rafkin in for pain shenanigans.

Or Widow Weaver and Teddy versus the world.

Or Hopkins and the burny stabby crew.

Has anybody tried Hodgepodge/4 Horsemen Levi?

I've played against it a few times. It struggles turn 2 as the riders are all squishy, but once they power up it gets interesting. Very low model count until Mech starts summoning.

Anyone playing Throught the Breach?
Currently studying the rules and translating the important parts for those of my group who never managed to learn proper english *sigh*.

But how do you handle the destiny of the palyers? I've fiddled around with character creation a bit and some of the results are really abstract and nonsensical. How should I go about making sense of them to actually have stuff happen to my players where they could go with or against fate?

I used krylon's clear matte
Which really pisses me off cause I usually have very few problems with any of their stuff.

Basically it's abstract so you can draw it to a lot of different things that happen during the character arc. Just use any justification you need that vaguely fits.

I'd dump it completely to be honest. PCs are going to feel special already with out resorting to randomly generated nonsense destinies.

Hm, I'll think about it. I do wanna keep it since it, as long as it makes even a lick of sense, might help come up with some interesting hooks for each character.

Now character sheets. I've got the Into the Storm one from this thread and the fillable one from the Wyrd site. Which one should I go with? We are used to handle four or more sheets thanks to the dark eye, but if we can go down to just two pages that'd be even better.

Also purchased the Malifaux starter set. Can't wait to get into the game.

Let us know what you think.
If you like it had as much as I do, you'll have a blast.

I use Vallejo's bottle dropper varnish and it works fine.

It's mostly a mid level fun/kidglove crew. Not hard to slow it down, pick one off early, and the low model count is quite the handicap.

I'm getting ready to run a Savage Worlds game set in Malifaux. I backed Through the Breach, but I don't care that much for the mechanics. I treat the books as basically just big fluff sourcebooks for running it with other systems.