Anyone have any advice for how to run a game set in the Yu-Gi-Oh anime universe?

Anyone have any advice for how to run a game set in the Yu-Gi-Oh anime universe?

Wushu open and actual early YGO cards.

Anime or manga?

Anime

Any system with good summoning and motorcycle mechanics?

Mutans & Masterminds

maybe FATE

GURPS

Savage Worlds

Does anyone have any good house rules that could be added?
like one to allow the players to spend points they get somehow to draw any card in their deck like in the anime

You literally just described the house rule that you want to add.

why yes, yes i did

Get a copy of Card Ranker.

Just my two cents:

- Use only early cards, I don't know a lot about the new ones but they're a real clusterfuck.
- Make players roll against a heart of the cards stat to draw the card they need
- Certain cards have abilities (an example being summoned skull, who is a dark/fiend that uses lightning)
- Topdecking gives some sort of morale bonus
- You can attack continuous spell/traps (attack the moon!)
- MILLENNIUM ITEMS

>Anyone have any advice for how to run a game set in the Yu-Gi-Oh anime universe?
If I'm remembering the last season of that show correctly, it ended up being that they summoned actual monsters and used them to fight anothers summoned monster. And if your monster was destroyed, you actually lost some of your own life, or something.
Anyways, what I'm trying to get at is that you can run a game like that where it's basically dualists creating/summoning actual monsters to battle with each other.

So you're saying i should mod one of the pokemon rpgs?

>So you're saying i should mod one of the pokemon rpgs?
Heh, if it works and gets you what you want. Just replace all the Poke-Man's with monsters from yugioh and your set with the basic idea.
Plus I guess you can make the setting ancient egypt like the show or any other time period.

Duelist Kingdom or Battle City?

battle city

You could GURPS.

Set up the cards as Allies, possibly limiting the occurance rate to 9, possibly 12 for commons and 6 for ultrarare monsters (or using that as number of copies in deck), giving them Summonable and "Only during duels" which might should cancel each other out.
Rather than stating out the allies, use actual cards on a dueling grid (or whatever the play space is called).
Instead of drawing cards at random, players roll against occurance rate (how summoning typically works) to get the card they want, if they fail they select another or take a card at random... this is the heart of the cards thing, and it makes the duels more dramatic.
During the game, players can come up with bullshit actions that break the rules, but if they fail a History (Egyptian) roll (or whatever skill you feel works better) then the opponent laughs obnoxiously and reminds them that the game doesn't work that way... success means they break the rules successfully and the opponent gets shocked and expressed how unfair or stupid such a thing is but no matter.

Don't forget about the Luck advantage, which could also be given "only during duels" and make sure every character takes some degree of Disaplines of Faith (hairstyling).

>I combine Gaia the Fierce Knight and Curse of Dragon to form Gaia the Dragon Knight, who I will then launch with the help of Catapult Turtle into the Flotation Ring of your Flying Fortress, sending it crashing down on top of your own monsters destroying them all and reducing your life points to zero

I have no idea how you'd run a game full of the COMPLETE AND UTTER BULLSHIT of season one.

The card mechanics don't matter, so just have the monsters fight each other for real and summon whatever you want.

EVERYONE is a summoner!

>Card Ranker still hasn't been translated
Plus I kind of feel it isn't that good.

If we could get a scan of it, that'd be a great start.

>Plus I kind of feel it isn't that good.
Why? Presumably, you haven't read it yet.

>Plus I kind of feel it isn't that good.
It's interesting but I feel like it sort of doesn't know what it's doing. A bunch of Saikoro Fiction games (the engine on which CR is built) use its structure really well, but a bunch of others don't, and I feel like Card Ranker is in the latter category. There are still cool things there, and I wouldn't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but RAW it's more like turn-taking freeform + card battle system.

If I cared more/had the time/thought I was actually talented enough to do it, I'd love to make a big hack/rewrite of it someday. There are a lot of great ideas but it ultimately feels half-formed to me.

But that's just my take on it.

For a long time I've wanted to play a superhero game where I can be a kid who uses his Yugi-BattleMonsters: the Gathering cards to real effect.
I'd take drawbacks to do with youth, reliance on his deck and maybe being a large ham like in all those sorts of shows.

I'm sure that with dedication we can make a better game than Card Ranker