/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Merethic Era Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus or husbandos except for Ysgramor, Yngol or Ahzidal.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_5qb8Bor0hI
youtube.com/watch?v=l83vT2svg3g
youtube.com/watch?v=tfOyk9XXnQc
youtube.com/watch?v=laTumv5TmU0
youtube.com/watch?v=m74b1KdV6dM
youtube.com/watch?v=c598kuusepk
youtube.com/watch?v=F5lfrn0YHYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=zcenHmbQ7TY
youtube.com/watch?v=tMMO3oU38BE&list=PLnJwHSS6cCkpI6smiyj5GYfLsZKytbqmH
youtube.com/watch?v=BEm0AjTbsac
youtube.com/watch?v=C7ba1CNOLiI
youtu.be/oun-u4myVUU?t=506
youtu.be/dMI4X8OOMOg?t=10
youtu.be/W3tKFLafu3s?t=20
youtube.com/watch?v=bpKo2YRKFYY
youtube.com/watch?v=bj36koXYJLs
youtube.com/watch?v=KNDT7EInclo
youtube.com/watch?v=qrX5R11e0UA
youtube.com/watch?v=76PHzENMQ04
youtube.com/watch?v=e65J6A1nDlk
youtube.com/watch?v=O6lNMy1lnUA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What is the most delicious food in all of Tamriel?

Second for Bretons.

Elsweyr treats

Third for comfy thread music
youtube.com/watch?v=_5qb8Bor0hI
God I want to learn how to surf

There's something musical about Dagoth Ur's voice.

youtube.com/watch?v=l83vT2svg3g
youtube.com/watch?v=tfOyk9XXnQc
youtube.com/watch?v=laTumv5TmU0
youtube.com/watch?v=m74b1KdV6dM
youtube.com/watch?v=c598kuusepk
youtube.com/watch?v=F5lfrn0YHYQ

That guy needs more subscribers.

youtube.com/watch?v=zcenHmbQ7TY

Sweet rolls.

Time to post normie memes?

Play them all at the same time.

That's what the Poison Song sounds like.

But user.. All memes are normie now.

Admittedly, I just found the first imagine that wasn't just a sweetroll.

Anyone listen to the oblivion symphonic variations? I think they fit the mood of adventuring in Cyrodiil perfectly

youtube.com/watch?v=tMMO3oU38BE&list=PLnJwHSS6cCkpI6smiyj5GYfLsZKytbqmH

I have never heard of these before, thanks user.

On the subject of music, what do we know about music in TES? Music seems to have a certain relation to metaphysics, with tonal architecture, shouting, sword singing, the poison song and the doom drum.

Are you thinking about the greater metaphysical implications of music or more normal things, like musical traditions across Tamriel?

Some nordic tunes
youtube.com/watch?v=BEm0AjTbsac

Both ofcourse :^)

We /comfy/ now?

If not, get a blanket, put on some music, put on rainy mood, and get a cup of coffee or tea.

Let's talk lore.

Look, I love Bretons as much as the next Bretonlover. I love their always useful racial bonuses, I find their lore fun, and I've even struggled my way through as much Daggerfall I can stomach just to be in their province.

But I don't think people gotta be reminded of them.

While we're talking music, what do you listen to when you browse these threads, /tgesg/?

It's not a reminder, user.

If skyrim is anything to go by, Breton cuisine is very good
Probably a good middle ground between Mer and Men foods too

Nice Trips.

Bretons are supposedly the best chefs and Imperials some of the worst. I would imagine the Khajiit make the best desserts.

I also feel the need to mention Ice Cream is canon, and that is my one guilty pleasure. So probably that.

AllinAll's TES music, Oblivion's symphonic variations, Morrowind soundtrack, some of Skyrim's better pieces, Depeche Mode.

Thanks for reminding me I still had to get my evening tea, I'm definitely comfy now.

What I love most about TES is how fleshed out the different cultures are. We usually talk about worship and politics, but my weak spots are architecture and cuisine. I was thinking of making a little compilation of cuisine lore.

>Khajiit make the best desserts
In Elsweyr, everything is desserts. Ergo they're the best chefs.

I love lore on culture, and I'd like more stuff about music.

I'll repost something I've written before, based on Goodall's forum posts about Argonian and Khajiiti music.

>"I thought they should use the marsh itself as their primary musical instrument like the Baka Forest People use rivers. And play lots of odd percussion instruments like water drums and bohdans and djimbes and udus. And make slowed-down bird-call noises."

Nothing ever seems to have come from the idea, but I like it quite a bit.
Here's some assorted inspiration:
Baka people water drumming:
youtube.com/watch?v=C7ba1CNOLiI

Then there's water drums, which come in a lot of different forms:
youtu.be/oun-u4myVUU?t=506

If "bohdan" is supposed to mean bodhrán, then that sounds like this:
youtu.be/dMI4X8OOMOg?t=10

The djembe, which is probably more well known:
youtu.be/W3tKFLafu3s?t=20

The Udu, an aeorphone:
youtube.com/watch?v=bpKo2YRKFYY

As for bird calls I don't fucking know. Go listen to some slowed down birds or something.
youtube.com/watch?v=bj36koXYJLs

On the Khajiit there's less:
>"I wanted the Khajiit to be arrhythmic jazz musicians."

Altmer make the best paladins /tgesg/

Brets are milk drinkers

If you have any additions do tell me, I'm thinking of making a proper compilation.

>To not violate the Green Pact, Bosmer make alcoholic beverages from fermented pig milk (Jagga) and fermented meat juices (Rotmeth), both are very strong
>Torvali mead is a thing
>Khajiit use sweeteners of all kinds in their foods, not just moon sugar. Khajiiti meat tastes sweet as a result. (does Skyrim export honey to Elsweyr? It'd make a lot of sense)
>Juniper berries go well in mead
>Rat meat is palatable when used in a stew and masked with strong spices
>Canis root and trama root can be used in tea
>Merringar is a rare fish and a delicacy in Skyrim, only found far off the shore into the Sea of Ghosts
>Kollopi are an arboreal rodent in Valenwood whose meat is fashioned into little balls rich with spices and juices

That's as far as I can go from the top of my head, but I know I'm missing a lot.

How different would modern day Tamriel be if the Falmer never descended? Would they be down to clown with the Aldmeri Dominion or would they just kind of collectively shrug?

>Altmer using nordic lingo
Imperials make the best paladins though. Bretons are great as sorcerers and witch-hunters, Altmer as mages.

Why use a song from another fictional universe?
The in-universe Nordic songs are good.
youtube.com/watch?v=KNDT7EInclo

With descended, do you mean take refuge with the Dwemer or be blinded? If the Dwemer hadn't blinded them, they'd never be able to go back above ground anyway.

>bananamen
>good at anything that requires lifting

Bosmeri cooking is fucking nasty. Then again, the cuisine reflects the people.

>Bosmeri cooking is fucking nasty. Then again, the cuisine reflects the people.
I wouldn't mind. They're like the opposite of vegans. I'd like some cheap meat.

Here's a few songs I listen to when I browse, play Morrowind, or am high as a kite.
youtube.com/watch?v=qrX5R11e0UA
youtube.com/watch?v=76PHzENMQ04
youtube.com/watch?v=e65J6A1nDlk
youtube.com/watch?v=O6lNMy1lnUA
Maximum comfy. I also love the creative uses of sampling to not only create a rhythm and set a mood, but also to help tell a story through both literal and metaphorical use.

I always loved food lore in games an books. I still wander is Bretons put that much Nutmeg in their souffles or if it was a practical joke on the author's part.
It actually convinced my to try getting high on Nutmeg. Would not recommend, but I'll try it a second time for science.

You're morag tong skoomanon right?

>do you mean taken refuge with the dwemer
Yes, like hypothetically if they weren't blinded by the dwemer how different would Tamriel be? Also why would they be unable to go above ground? I'm not as well versed in Falmer lore as I am Dunmer.

Smart guess, user. And several other anons as well, but we aren't here for having identities. Sadly, I go to my job pretty soon and close tonight, but I'll be back to discuss lore and comfiness.

How are you doing, friend?

I really like Lelek1980's stuff.

Nords

I'm doing well, thanks for asking. I am 'I have to attach an image to every post' user.

I like it when every now and then the art attached sparks discussion, not just the post.

They would go the way of the Ayleids. They would take refugee in other regions and disappear by assimilating with the other elves.
Some would be assimilated by the Direnni, other by the Chimer.
Maybe the Dunmer and Bretons would inherit some culture from the Falmer refugees.

I like how Sovngarde had the giant mead vats and had whole oxes on roasts instead of smaller parts of animals.

Whoops, forgot to finish my reply tobecause skoomanon's post popped up.

What I meant to say was

>Nords were very efficient in their genocide of the Falmer.

In fact, I liked that silt strider fanart so much I made a Silt Strider in Minecraft based of it. I really like the crates, barrels and lamps.

Jesus that video is shit

Looks good, minecraftanon.

Makes sense, as does
I think it'd be interesting to see Breton and Dunmner culture with faldmeri influence. What were some of the big markers of Falmer culture? Or is that largely a mystery?

These threads are one of my favorite parts of Veeky Forums

>These threads are one of my favorite parts of Veeky Forums
I feel you.

Sadly a lot of what defines Falmeri culture is probably lost to the ages.

From what we know they're pretty similar to Altmer. They're big on magic and they worship Auriel.

After 680 hours, I saw this loading screen for the first time.

Well that's a drag, but I guess it makes sense that a lost society would have its culture largely be unknown.

I don't know. Possibly the artstyle you see in the Forgotten Vale. Those distinctive curves, arcs and sun motifs.

>What were some of the big markers of Falmer culture?
Linguistically they're very close to the Ayleids.

While looking through the UESP's list of loading screens, I found two interesting ones.

I already knew Skyrim gave Solstheim to Morrowind, but the quote mentions Kyne instead of Kynareth, despite the fact that the Nordic pantheon was abolished long ago. Skyrim probably had a more traditionalist high king in the early 4th era.

And House Redoran has dethroned Hlaalu and Indoril for most powerful Great House.

The Nordic Pantheon is still slightly relevant in TES V, you do hear Nords making offhand remarks towards those gods every now and then.
'Sons and Daughters of Kyne' is likely a long and widely used phrase of the Nords. One of the most essential beliefs of the Nords is that Kyne created man by exhaling on the peak of the Throat of the World.
>abolished
I think you may be looking for a different term

>I think you may be looking for a different term
You're right. I'm not a native english speaker.

I wish Skyrim had actual shrines of the old Nordic pantheon.

>I wish Skyrim had actual shrines of the old Nordic pantheon
You and me both.
Bethesda's decision to roll over the Nordic Pantheon was a very bad choice imo. Had they made it so that the Old Holds of the East were religiously Nordic while the West had adopted a more Imperial way of life, their would have been a lot more meaningful depth and sense of conflict present in the game. I mean, you'd think a group like the Stormcloaks would be pretty adamant about sticking to their roots.

Snooze time for Europeans

Keep the thread alive Ameribros

>if they weren't blinded by the dwemer how different would Tamriel be?
Not very. Assuming the nords stopped caring a while after they went underground, they could come back up. And other than a few different areas in cities, or entirely new cities and villages, I doubt it'd be all that much different. I'd wager they'd get treated like the reach men do: they can exist, but as second class citizens. And of course they could leave skyrim for somewhere else, maybe high rock or northern cyrodiil.
That or they gain strength and pull an offensive so they can have some sovereignty, assuming the nords didn't wipe them out for real.

>you'd think a group like the Stormcloaks would be pretty adamant about sticking to their roots.
Assuming they knew enough about them, but I think the it's more of a "why put time and energy during a war into something we've all kinda moved away from on our own, when the worship we still really want is the thing at stake" kinda deal.

You know we will

That illustration is so generic and uninspired. Nothing about any of those three are recognizably TES.

I can see why Bethesda wouldn't have done that though - it would make people question the hypocrisy of worshiping old gods while your entire conflict was started because you weren't allowed the free worship of a new god.

Does anyone have sources/texts on God or the Godhead?

>All memes are normie now.
I beg to differ.

The Nordic Pantheon itself isn't much older than the Imperial one, and Talos, to the Nords, is a much older god then he is in other cultures.
Though I don't really see how what you said is in anyway hypocritical to begin with.

>implying
EURO REPRESENT

>BARFOK, Maid of Planes, who appeared as a winged human with lick-encrusted spear, had the powers of Event Denouement. Battles fought against her would always end in victory for Barfok, because she could shape outcomes by singing. Four Chimeri villages and two more Dwemeri strongholds were destroyed by her decision enforcement. Vivec had to stuff her mouth with his milk finger to keep her from singing Veloth into ruin.
>Vivec had to stuff her mouth with his milk finger to keep her from singing Veloth into ruin.
What did he mean by this?

Nord bitch could Thuumsing so hard she could decide the outcome of battles, but Vivec stopped her from singing by skullfucking her.

>What did he mean by this?
Oh, wait, I'm being memed here.
ebic, user, simbly ebic.

>19fps

Jesus Christ, fix your ENB.

That's got to be one of the bigger ones; the ones in game have maybe the interior space of a Volkswagen.

Even with 10-12 crates and a dozen or so passengers, they can't be that efficient economically, even considering that they're all-terrain. Pack guar caravans would make more sense.

>Dem running lights.

Cliffracer magnet.

What do they eat though?

He doesn't really matter.

>ribald author zero sums during a quest fueled by a misunderstanding of what godhead actually means

But I wanna know too

Probably flies and tree grubs

poor guy

Not much. The black books mention it by name, Reality and Other Falsehoods implies it, and the Skaal know it by the name of the All-Maker.

Cliffracers. That's why they're so tall and heavily armored.

How do you pronounce scathecraw

What's the best surf spot in Tamriel

Do you think all those argonian surf bums sail to Pyandonea or is Topal Bay enough

How is this /v/ thread Veeky Forums related?

South coast of Elsweyr
South East coast of Morrowind, between Mournhold and Tear
I'd guess the waves around Stros M'kai would be sweet
Maybe around Firsthold in Summerset and the Southern Coast between Sunhold and Dusk
And the coast from Camlorn to the southern west tip of High Rock

There's a fan-made tabletop game and RPG, and TES was originally inspired from D&D sessions.

Also /v/ would never care to discuss lore.

I'm not saying these are the only ones but probably the best

>actually replying seriously
Theres an OP for a reason

Well, he might not have known about the inspired from D&D part.

>No waifus or husbandos except for Ysgramor, Yngol or Ahzidal.

Can someone explain why these are the exceptions?

Lots of vidya was inspired by DnD, they still belong on /v/

I suppose its okay if you only talk about your homebrew tabletop sessions, but vidya stuff should stay on /v/

Why are you acting like these threads are a new thing

Because we change them for different threads
It's how we feel special and unique
What vidya stuff are you even bitching about
There's like, 3 game shots and they're used to provide a source to the corresponding comment

Because Elder Scrolls is a video game franchise and video games are BAD
just talking about lore will turn Veeky Forums into /v/

I just finished Enderal, 10/10 bretty good.

Bethesda should be fucking ashamed, holy shit.

Just because they've been here for a while doesn't make them Veeky Forums and doesn't mean they should be tolerated.

There is no other place to discuss TES lore, /v/ is just bad and the Veeky Forums general is faggots playing with their barbie dolls.

We won't cause any harm.

/v/ doesn't want to talk about lore
Veeky Forums is about waifus
Veeky Forums likes lore
i don't understand why we shouldn't have these threads here when it's the best place for them

report the thread then n'wah

Is there a particular issue you're taking with them?
We already decided against dragonbreaking mostly, since it just gave a platform for shitposting and memes but not much lore.
We recently got new lore with the stone translation so there's still reason to have the threads.
If your issue is just the thread existing then I would point out the fact mods allow the thread since they haven't been deleted and have been weekly for a long while. I wasn't here at its creation so I don't have any source about mods directly saying it's okay.

go back the Veeky Forums thread
also enderal is shit

Slippery slope......