EDH/Commander General

qtpa2t edition

Last thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/selvala-heart-of-the-wilds-g/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Moving this over from the other thread

Post 'em boys

Help me pick my first commander lads
Mostly play legacy, kind of hate creature combat, don't really want more than 2 colors

Mizzix Storm.

>Zurgo's uninteresting voltron shit
>Tariel's shit in general
>Oros is boring
>Kaalia is a gimmick engine
>Alesha would be okay if she could do better than revive small shit
>Marchesa just draws you a card

Why are the mardu commanders so boring or gimmicky? Jeskai was just as bad until Narset was released.

I play jihoria and Braids, Conjurer Adept

A-user I just made a thingie and this one requires way too much information about myself that no one cares about. Why would you do this to me?

Who is the more fun goblin commander, Zada or Krenko? I wanna try monored because I hate myself and if I'm gonna do it, it has to be gobos.

We all care about you, user-kun~

SON OF A BITCH I forgot to order a Skyline Despot for Feldon.

Don't lie on the internet, no one cares about anyone else, let alone some they don't know. The real reason I don't want to fill this out is because I don't really have friends or a meta.

Krenko, Lord of never having to enter combat.

>ordered an Eldrazi Conscription off of Ebay two weeks ago
>still hasn't arrived
>ordered an Enchanted Evening from TCGplayer like four days ago
>it's already here
I don't know why I ever use anything else.

>Jeskai was just as bad until Narset was released.
>Narset isn't just a gimmicky commander

Also, it's because Wizard hates RW.

Any useful B or G recursion enchantments or effects like Rancor?

Narset escapes that because you can literally build anything non-creature with her: Voltron, pillowfort, tokens, enchantments, artifacts, whatever.
And she's nowhere near the level of the other jeskai commanders like Ruhan or Zedruu where there's really only one way to play them.

I can believe that about RW though. At least Kalemne is sort of fun. But that's because I like dropping big creatures without green.

I'm not autistic enough for this

How viable is Shirei? cool card

I ran a Shirei deck for a long time. It's fun when it gets going and there are a lot of toys, but at the end of the day it's dependent on a pricey general that's very easy to kill without protection.

I'm not narcissistic enough for this

Define "viable." Shirei is a cool card but you're not exactly going to be winning tournaments. The deck's major downfall is that without the general you're largely running a bunch of shitty 1/Xs that don't do much.

New Grenzo.

Can any of the currently available UMPCs play Borderlands 2?

Wrong thread?

>Borderlands 2
GET OUT

Ah, that's what went wrong. Also,
>GET OUT
>>>/reddit/

Is Xiahou a meme or legit?

He's arguably top 3 for monoblack commanders, so he's legit, I guess?

Very legit. Easily one of the best mono-B commanders.

Don't feel like filling this out, so I'm just going to post my commanders

Since I caught this one early, I have a few stupid questions that I'm struggling to find additional answers to.

I've got a deck revolving around a Lab Man combo, but part of the combo needs to involve instantly getting him onto the field as soon as I draw him. So far my solutions to this have been Vedalken Orrery, Leyline of Anticipation, Savage Summoning, and Flash (the spell). Are there any other ways to do this? I have ways to pitch him to the yard at instant speed, so instant-speed reanimation is also possible (I already have Necromancy, but I have no idea what else exists for this). Any card is viable - this combo is part of a 5c deck.

What are some other ways to get this twat onto the field at instant speed after I draw him? Again, it's looking like Flash-enablers and Reanimation are my two best avenues, as the deck he's in is spell-heavy, but frequently draws the entire deck in a single turn (in pieces that can be responded to, hence the need for him at instant speed). What are my options?

>arguably top 3
>one of the best
Not that user, but doesn't that mean Gonti is bound to be pretty good? They both have the same cost and both give +1 CA, but Gonti leaves behind a deathtouch body and replaces Regrowth with bizarro-Impulse.

Just do Doomsday Lab Man like the non-retards.

Stop. Just stop.

Not even close. Gonti relies on using your opponent's cards which is incredibly unreliable and consequently is virtually impossible to combo out with. That said, he looks to be pretty decent, but nowhere near the best. I especially like the fact that you can cast the card even after Gonti bites the dust and the fact that he can be used to deny opponents useful cards, but meh.

Dralnu control

But you see
I am a special snowflake
So I cannot do that

How does something like Deflecting Palm work with Gisela? If a gisela swings at me for 5 damage that would be 10 and then I deflecting palm it back to her controller, do I deal 5 or 2.5 damage?

Toshi Umezawa.

Are they at all playable as a commander?

I wish, but no, they're pretty much awful

It is a legendary creature, and not banned, so yes, you can use it as a commander.

(You)

Gisela swings for 5 at you, you decide the order of the replacement effects, you decide her damage doubles first, then you prevent 10 with deflecting Palm

Deflecting Palm then creates another instance of 10 damage, gisela replaces that with 5

If you choose replacement effects in the wrong order, instead deflecting Palm prevents 5 damage, gisela can't double damage that's prevented, then the deflecting Palm damage is halted to 5

Omnath master race and friends coming through.

I thought the beard was his teeth

Any combo that needs more than 2-3 cards is almost impossible to implement in a game.

Stax

If they were 2cmc WB, and the abilities cost only taps and no mana, they would still barely be playable

They need haste and untap shenanigans to do ANYTHING faster than once every 2 turns starting 2 turns after you fucking cast them

They are atrocious

Stax is more of a powerful synergy deck.

Not necessarily, it depends on how specific the cards are, if most or all the pieces of the combo have redundancies it becomes much easier

Man, I really wanna like this card. It's flavorful and toolboxy. It's just too damn slow.

It's not my area of expertise, but anyone know of some untap stuff you could use to abuse it or even just make it more playable?

Thousand-Year Elixir is the first one that comes to mind

Remove the first ability and the fate counter clauses on the other two abilities

Now it's viable

Be better to run them in Abzan with Seedborne Muse, but obviously they're not the commander.

At that point, it's busted as all fuck.

Sorry, why did you quote me with that? Because of Marchesa? Because all I need for her is her and Big Black Mike. That or Mike and Trike if I wanna just win.

See Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer for something similar.

It would be amazing, and I'd run it, but I don't think it would be completely busted.

Gwafa isn't nearly that good.

Gonti would make a fun commander. Likely nothing more, and nothing less.

We're pretty chill.

Tell me more of boardwipes.dec

I must know its secrets

(and, more importantly, if it's fun to play with/against)

I'm too damn lazy to do this but here's my generals
Also I just made Nü Elf-fu, felt great busting our resident Derevi player's skull with a 204/204 Omnath. Anyone want to help me trim the fat from the deck a little bit? More so on the land I'm already planning on putting a Mosswort Bridge and a Dryad Arbor but other than that i'm at a loss.tappedout.net/mtg-decks/selvala-heart-of-the-wilds-g/

>Trashdrazi
I like that man

Remove the tap symbol from the first ability and you have a solid, but not great commander.

Never Forgetti

-Love Daretti

Is that the take away from gonti's text? That you can cast the exiled cards even if gonti is not on the field? If so that makes him super cool to me.

>him
Gonti is AGENDERED YOU SHITLORD

>For as long as that card remains exiled

Magewright's stone
Sword of the paruns
Illusionist's bracers
Puppet strings
Thornbite staff
Umbral mantle

The card remains i exile but you cant cast it once gonti dies, if xhe is not on the field the abiliry is not active

Its like saying hey i cast a felidar sovereign 9 turns ago, im at 40 life so i win the game because thats what the card at the time said

Creatures need to be on the battlefield for their abilities to work unless specified otherwise

Gonti allows you to cast that card for as long as it remains exiled, because of how his ability is worded. The duration and allowance is tied to the exile, not to his presence. If he had a separate ability that said
>You may cast cards exiled with ~ and may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast them.
Then yes, he'd have to be around.

See Kheru Spellsnatcher and Fiend of the Shadows for their rulings.

"For as long as that card remains exiled..."

Is it? It's like barely better than roon at that point

Heres our squad...

How does it feel to be this incredibly wrong?

>Alesha
>not tight as hell

Alesha is the best Mardu commander. She pops off quickly, has multiple wincons, and she can play fair if need be.

I can't find where to ask a judge, so I'll ask you guys,and hope for a judge:

If player A controls a fellwar stone, and players B, C, and D only control lands which can provide colorless mana, and colorless mana only, can Fellwar stone provide mana?

>tfw I don't have photoshop and mine will never look as nice as I want it
Also, where do I get images of the commanders that fit the template?

10/1/2009: The colors of mana are white, blue, black, red, and green. Fellwar Stone can’t be tapped for colorless mana, even if a land an opponent controls could produce colorless mana.

Source: Gatherer

Is "not a car" a type of car?

Whats the best/most fun Grixis commander?

>What's the best?
Jeleva, followed by Nekusar.

>Most fun?
Lord of Tresserhorn, followed by Thraximundar and Sedris.

most fun:

Sedris for OTK and ETB unearth shenanigans
or
Thrax for "Legendary Zombie Assassin"

Balls are sweaty
Memes already
Artifact-heavy
Oh shit whaddup
Here comes Daretti

NEVAR FIVEGHETTI

Most fun is probably Jeleva. Best I dunno, probably a really ruthless Nekusar build. Or just Thraxi over a an optimized Grixis control build that just uses him as an extra threat.

Long live edh's lord and savior wheelchair pope, making red relevant again since 2014

Why do you need him instant speed? Do you expect to combo the second you cast him?

Come on user, you could have at least tried. 10 million years in this stupid text box:

>In the pallor of the pale moonlight,
>our hero rides atop a striding wurm,
>battling evil, and fortune, for the right
>to make your opponents lands squirm.
>He is forged from a fire so fierce
>that even garbage becomes gold,
>and with his mastery, he doth pierce
>through the mana rock threshold.
>"How will you win without any lands?"
>he asks with a sheepish grin,
>"Maybe you should draw better hands?"
>as his Blightsteel swings for the win.
>His name is Daretti, Scrap Servant
>and he's here to feast to his fill
>on your spaghetti scraps, observant
>enough to swoop in for the kill.

>former member of my group is trying to apologize to me so he can play with people again
Like I would ever let his stupid ass back in after the way he acted. Blog post aside, I need a new commander but can't figure out who would be better. My choices are

>Tajic, Blade of the Legion
> Atarka World Render
>Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
>Skullbriar

Skullbriar.

Red and white a shit, red and green has better commanders, and
>le blue deck
is done better with Memnarch.

Is Brago just fun, or can he actually be competitive?

Yes.

As a brago player both statements are true. Either brago comes out and you're almost unstoppable once he connects, or your opponent removes him, and you're left durdling while casting him for 10 mana.

>Casting him before protection and countermagic

This is the difference

Alright Skullbriar it is, what is some spicy tech for him?

>Jeleva
>Good

I always found it to be shit