Orc General Thread - /ogt/

This is the Orc general thread

Please keep all orc related conversations to the orc general thread. This includes half-orc and orc-like races such as Uruk-Hai and others. Including all Orcish lore from properties as diverse as Warhammer, Warhhamer 40k and Warcraft.

Topic: Orcs, just dumb brutes or something more?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2gCgluVD0Aw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Needs more Orcfus.

>No street urchin Orc brawler childhood friend.

How to make orcs modern again?

By which I mean; Tolkien's orcs were the embodiment (among other things) of the dark side of modernity and industrialisation. They reflected his fears about war, fascism, communism, atheism, pollution, urbanisation and all that stuff which horrified 1930's Englishmen who dreamed of an idyllic rural past.

Is it sufficient to just drop the 'noble savage' bullshit and give them mass-produced equipment, gunpowder and so on? Or do they need to be updated to reflect 21st century anxieties about progress and technology?

Apparently this picture here is an edited of a human barbarian chick.

Don't care. Badass.

I feel that there's no way to do this that won't come across as really, really racist.

And didn't he himself regret how he made them into an "evil race"?

Yeah.

"All members of race X are Alignment Y" is a terrible, terrible idea.

Fuck you Goblin Slayer for not even trying

Modernize it by making orcs a faceless hivemind.
Or make them timeless with symbolism about timeless human evils.

Do what TES did and make them Jews

>people actually play as disgusting pig monsters
Last time I checked Orcs are in the Monster Manual, not the Player Handbook

>"All members of race X are Alignment Y" is a terrible, terrible idea.

No it's not.

But it is.

But it isn't

I love this lady's art and her orcs in particular.

Yes, it is. If elves can be of any alignment, there is no logical reason why orcs can't be as well.

That's not what the user said at all.

"Splint" and Rukhash are responsible for my she-orc fetish.

Half-Orcs best waifu
prove me wrong Veeky Forums

What makes Orcs unique? Is it their physical attributes, their culture, or something else entirely? What element separates them from the other races?

Depends on setting

yeah, depends on the setting if you want to talk about specific orcish traits/societies/origins.

if you want to talk about their role in fantasy generally, most orcs fill the role of bestial humanoid. they're abnormally strong and abnormally ugly. they're kind of the anti-elf: destructive, disrespectful, crude, uncivilized. sometimes they're green, sometimes they're grey/black, sometimes they look like giant pigmen. fantasy orcs serve the purpose of being the foil for the more civilized races. more commonly their negative attributes highlight the positive ones of other races, but plenty of writers aren't afraid to give orcs positive traits to contrast against other races' negative ones.

Then why have a general for them in the first place?

Why not?

because they're a distinct race common among different works of fiction?

because it's better than endless TRUCK DRIVER QUEST XXXIV threads?

why in the fuck are quests not on their containment board

Well, if there's really nothing that makes Orcs unique from other races, then there really isn't anything to discuss, is there? All this effectively is is a character art thread disguised as a General.
But if there's no unifying trait, then it really isn't a distinct race, is it? It's just a group of races with the same name.
>because it's better than endless TRUCK DRIVER QUEST XXXIV threads?
You got that right.

Larger than humans, green/gray skin, and tusk-like teeth, mostly.

If your OC fantasy setting has a meaty angry warrior race, but they're covered in fur, nobody will call them orc-ripoffs. If that same setting has big green tusked dudes who are smarter than humans, live in roped-together boat colomies, and cast magic through interpretive dance, people will still call them "weird orcs".

>Well, if there's really nothing that makes Orcs unique from other races

There is.

It depends on the setting.

Why do they need their own general, then? Just make a new character art thread, ask for orcs, and call it a day.

So, shouldn't you discuss orcs in 40K general, or Warcraft General, or Warhammer Fantasy General?
If orcs have no unique characteristics without a setting, then why discuss them without specifying a setting?

Are you asking these questions in the Elf General Thread too?

There's an Elf General now?
Crap. Better head over there.

What if they want to talk about all the orcs/orks and don't care about the non-orc stuff?

Then post a reply in the setting thread talking about orcs.

Ooooor

They can talk about orc stuff

with other people who like orcs

He fucking did it

They've started enforcing the division now.

I am an user of my word.
BUT WHAT IS THERE TO TALK ABOUT?

He missed the dwarf general tho.

>BUT WHAT IS THERE TO TALK ABOUT?

lurk moar

Ah, shit. My work is never done, it seems.

Amazing

Shit. I'll get /dgt/ next time, it seems.
Don't get me wrong, I like me a good half-orc waifu, I just dislike unnecessary generals.

forgot pic

Kill the Orcs!
youtube.com/watch?v=2gCgluVD0Aw

Gruumsh is an evil god who made orcs in his image to do his evil work. The elf gods who made elves let them have free will because that's what goodies do.

That's the usual D&D explanation.

> OI GITZ HOW DA YA USE DIS ZOGGIN INTERWARP?

LotR orcs a best.

And, as much as I like Tolkien's original descriptions, I think the Peter Jackson movies, excluding the Hobbit, knocked it out of the park with their designs.

Post LotR style orcs.

Industrialistic orcs are best orcs

I want those orcs in my setting

Which?

But my orcs ARE covered in hair!

The boat orcs

Any pictures of towns, or tribes, or camps, or anything like that?

Speaking of industrial orcs does anyone have that picture from Kingdom under fire with the Orcs in the firing line?

man I love bizarre fringe theories like this.

They're a goldmine for ideas. Especially if you're going for something a little more off the beaten path, setting wise.