Board Game General - /bgg/

/bgg/ - Board Game General
Price Hike Edition

Previous
Resources
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Did you panic buy any Games Workshop property FFG games yesterday?

Are there any you didn't, but now wish you had?

Do you think we'll mostly see Star Wars/Lord of the Rings rethemes, or Descent/Twilight Imperium rethemes?

Other urls found in this thread:

gmtgames.com/c-36-coin-series.aspx
camelcamelcamel.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I almost panic bought but then one user said theyll split around february so i'm cool now.

>Do you think we'll mostly see rethemes that print money, or rethemes that don't?

Going to ask again since no one mentioned it in the last thread. Is buying Table Top Simulator worth it and is there a community to meet online for it?

I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, but most people seem to think it's worth the $10 on sale price just to be able to test out games before you buy them. there is a /bgg/ group in the pastebin. it's got 12 people and no scheduled events, so who know if they actually play together though

well yeah, but what about in a few years time when they find themselves losing either the star wars or lord of the rings license? it's safer to put it in the ti universe or terrinoth

but what if it's like a going out a business sale where stock is limited? sure they're together until february, but who knows if they'll keep printing the games

>Did you panic buy any Games Workshop property FFG games yesterday?
No, I'm a poorfag
>Are there any you didn't, but now wish you had?
Chaos in the Old World sounds fun but nobody I play with is really into Warhammer
>Do you think we'll mostly see Star Wars/Lord of the Rings rethemes, or Descent/Twilight Imperium rethemes?
I'd rather they made stuff with original themes really

>when they find themselves losing either the star wars or lord of the rings license?
I don't see this happeneing.

from a poorfag to fellow poorfags how do you do to earn the money to pay for board games. who would ever thought that cardboard and plastic would cost so much?

Mostly my dad gives them to me really.
But my advice would be to go to somewhere that sells used games. Try rounds of BGG if you want.
Or even better, start small. There are a bunch of fun games that are relatively cheap.

>from a poorfag to fellow poorfags how do you do to earn the money to pay for board games
I set up a small business to get that sweet wholesale price. It's not hard.

What does Veeky Forums think of pic related?

>But my advice would be to go to somewhere that sells used games. Try rounds of BGG if you want.
Wanna hear a secret man?
I live far away from the US so yeah, the shipping costs are insane when I try to order some games for me. also most of the people on bgg do not want or can't ship where I live.

Oh really? like what things do you sell? prepared meals? sweets or similars?

I sell board games. I basically just make enough to cover taxes, licensing, and my buying my own games, which lets me sell games cheaply and therefore quickly.
I'm only just now setting it up to get on the Gods of War KS, I'm using a bit of cash from my Amazon fuccboi job to do it

You should post your store here so we can help a fellow user

I'm just jelly. lucky of you.

What are some good 2 player board games? I have 7 wonders duel and its a lot of fun and I have android netrunner but the person I play with and I aren't really that good at it. We always walk away being like Corporations are way harder to pilot it seems which Im pretty sure just us not understanding the game well.

Twilight Struggle
Battle line

Twilight Struggle is a very good one.

Heard of Twilight Struggle but don't know if the cold war motif would really resonate with us how is the gameplay?

Battle Line I have never heard of I will look into it.

The gameplay is very much like 7 Wonders Duel in that it's a tug-of-war for VP. The game is built around influencing countries to your side and getting in the way of your opponent in several continents.

You don't have to be a Cold War fan to enjoy it, IMO, but you'll learn a lot more about the era.

It's a pretty decent length as well, but can still be played in 2-3 hours.

I'd recommend giving it a shot. It's a game that really isn't overhyped.

i know this is going to trigger people but i wished Twilight Struggle gets a retheme or something.
I really dont like how it looks. it just looks so bland, like a map with a bunch of stickynotes on it.

im sure the gameplay is great and fun but its just one of those games i dont think i will ever get to the table just because of how it looks.

The built in coffee stain triggers my autism so badly.

Regular 7 Wonders or 7 Wonders Duel for 2 players?

Duel is better for 2 players. But if you have more then 2 people to play with sometimes 7 wonders is the better pick up.

>Panic buy FFG/GW
Nope. Only FoD interested me, and I passed on it only a week ago at $36. Certainly not clamoring for it now at full price. Hopefully GW make s a video game version at some point.
>Rethemes
Doubtful, they're fully aware of the potential for market saturation if they do that. However I expect Windrider/Catan Studio will get a lot more FFG developers going over to help while Asmodee upper mgmt goes shopping for new IPs.

Not rethemes but
1960: The making of a President
Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage
Imperial Struggle (upcoming)

Then there's COIN games. That said of all released games I think TS looks best

Figure out your wishlist, set it up in a spreadsheet, you're gonna want 2 pages, first page get your MSRP, Amazon price, CSI/MM (whichever if your online discounter of choice), and lowest ebay price. Figure out what discount is the average, and then decide how much lower below that is a price you could part with and no regrets. Cut another $5-10 off it, that's your used buy price, never pick up a game below that and include your shipping charges on both your new/used prices. Your second page is for detailed info, max player count, BGG recommended players and best player count, duration, avg score by members, # of ratings, weight rating. Color code both sheets based on a game you're interested in, played and enjoyed, played and loved; if you demo something and don't love it, prune it off the list because you'll just end up trading it away anyhow if you make the mistake of buying. Figure out what your collection needs more of, prioritize those, and hold off til you can hit free shipping thresholds (preferably during sales), if it's a genre or player count that won't see the table as often, hold off even if it's a $10 game.

If a game isn't getting played regularly and you're not in love with it anymore, look up math trades; anything you get that's a promo/prize at cons or off kickstarter, presents from family, anything else. You can over value your stuff, but it'll take longer to trade, you're not dealing with each individual it's not as dickish a move. Watch the BGG buying/selling front page module, message boards/forums for sale postings.

Is this over the top anal/ocd? Yup, but if you're strapped for cash it'll ensure you get more play out of each game in your collection, and it'll ensure each game you buy is something you're happy to have spent every cent on. I've got 20-25 games added to my collection since 2012, and paid under $300 for them; yes a few are small games like Love Letter/Hanabi but it's mostly just smart buying and being patient.

Tbqh, I pirated a number of games when I was starting, since I didn't have a stable income. PnP is a lot of work, and if you want them to be high quality, you'll often spend more than the retail price of the game.
So yeah, ugly stuff, but I still had fun.
Now it's a stable income, but It's still meager, so I have to be super selective about what I buy, do a lot of research and buy secondhand games.

I've read all of that and now I think rather than a problem with games I have a trouble with money. I'll take the last tip because is more a lesson for me not try to get over enthusiactic for that game I've been looking for if no one near of me is willing to play with me.

Yeh that's totally possible. I'm just saying I could wait some more time, breath, decide and maybe buy. No moni to get em all anyway.

>COIN games
What are those?
I'm kind of a GMT fan but have never heard of them

I've been told I'm a bit of an anomaly, especially when I compare myself to friends. I'm the guy who has two credit cards, uses them as free 30 day loans, pays off the balance in full, and gets cash back; all my friends either don't have cards, or run up massive credit tabs. I've only bought used cars, and keep em for 10+ years, stuff like that. I got out of school right as the recession was hitting, and I had to create my own job because no one was hiring at all. If you only have pennies and a few nickels in your change jar, every single one matters; at this point it's just bled over into my hobbies, and while it's obsessive, it also gives me something to do when a game night is cancelled. Plus there's a whole universe of things to do outside of just playing games. Foam core inserts for all your games is cheap and can keep you busy for a couple weeks. Grab a drop cloth, some latex painters caulk, and cheap apple barrel paints and do up playmats/boards for your card games.

Your collection should be a point of pride for more than just the $ spent on it, it should either be about the fun games you've had, or personalized all to hell because you love what you own; and if you're a shit painter, well you know more about it when you're done than when you started.

Antone here play Mammon's Asmodee's FFG's Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game?
Fame & Fortune is going for what I consider a reasonable price, but Wisdom & Warfare, the expansion before it, isn't. Is F&F one of those expansions that only really behaves well with the previous one?

gmtgames.com/c-36-coin-series.aspx
Games which simulate asymmetrical warfare. Started off with modern-era guerrilla/terrorist stuff, expanded into antiquity.

I've played a few games of Civ, what would you like to know?

Whether Fame and Fortune is only balanced in the presence of Wisdom and Warfare.

>Wisdom and Warfare
Fame and Fortune fixes the dominant strategy from the base game where you just rush a economic victory. Wisdom and Warfare fixes the combat, making it more fair and strategic. Neither is really reliant on the other, and both add really good changes to the base game.

Thanks.

Those sound really cool, thanks

No. I'm less of a fan of ANA since the take-over / price increase. And I haven't been a fan of GW's for a while now. I have some of their games from before the price increase, but I'm not worried about anything I don't already own. I do wish they'd have come out with the Forbidden Stars expansion that was talked about that included the Nids, etc. But that's life.

Nope.

>Do you think we'll mostly see Star Wars/Lord of the Rings rethemes, or Descent/Twilight Imperium rethemes?

Who knows. Not really worried about it, and TI3 is a niche game in a niche hobby - it's not likely to get a ton of reskins.

>I'd rather they made stuff with original themes really
well we all know that's not going to happen. we're going to get tons more star wars stuff since that sells like hotcakes

I guess I should have worded that last question better. I meant if they decide to retheme the GW games they lost the license to, will they paste on a star wars theme or will they set it in the twilight imperium universe like they did with dune

Oh! That would be funny to see them re-theme Forbidden Stars and come out with expansions just to rub it in GW's face that they could have made more $$$.

You forgot talisman rethemes you pleb :D

In other news, got a game in of The Others tonight with some friends. Gotta say that game has pretty much replaced descent for me. I say that because I'm a forever DM, and I certainly have a ton more fun playing as a sin controller once than I ever did as a GM with descent. I certainly loved how players focused on the abominations and avatar, but ignored the fire and corruption on the ground until they realized how it had been doing more damage over time than any of my minions were.

So yeah, highly recommend sum dat Others.

I wouldn't recommend getting scalped though. Fuck those guys. Also buy some fire tokens from gale force 9 or something. Stock ones are shit.

Also, still feels kind of weird that pride has the biggest avatar of the 7 sins. I guess so people wouldn't get too pissy and feel like one of the add on boxes would be a must have. Or something.

I missed the KS on 'The Others'. Is it a better 'race game' than Descent, or better because it's not a race game like Descent?

It's like a reverse scenario of that. The longer the players take, the harder it gets for them. The sin controller doesn't get a turn per say so much as you just wait and decide when to react to players. You get a certain number of reaction tokens, players get 2 each. At the end of one of their turns (which involves a short move and action), you can decide to activate a minion to do the same, which is move and attack. You can only attack the player your activating on, but combat is all monsters in a space vs that one player, so for your activation you can get a monster who was nearby to jump in, and everyone who was already there fully contributes to the fight as well.

What needs special mention is the negative conditions of fire and corruption on a given space. You have a 1/6 chance of causing one point of damage whenever they enter or leave a space. You have a 1/6 chance of getting exploding die, which (i need to look into this because it doesn't say one way or another, but its how it works for combat) lets you roll another die. I think that doesnt happen on fire though, because that means there's a chance they could walk into an area on fire and after a few good rolls from the sin player, they just die. There's no soaking fire damage unless you have a special ability or equipment. Still, 1/3 chance of taking an auto wound when entering or leaving an area with fire. It's brutal.

On top of that, there's a apocalypse tracker that goes up every round, so you start summoning more stuff per round, stuff gets stronger, etc. etc.

And the corruption mechanic is great. A hero could take on a bunch of corruption to get a bunch of bonuses, but after a certain point, whenever you hit them with corruption, which they would normally take, they instead take damage instead, and start losing those bonuses. They've got a 1/3 chance of avoiding that corruption roll, but there's things like damage also going at them so yeah.

It's pretty brutal, but everyone had fun

thanks - sounds like an interesting game.

be sure to use camelcamelcamel.com/ if you're buying from amazon. it's not perfect since it doesn't include shipping from third party sellers, but it's way better than nothing.

I bought Forbidden Stars and CitOW. That'll be it id say, i dont even know if I want Chaos but id rather have it and not want it than want it and not be able to get it. Can always sell it down the line, but maybe itll be better than Forbidden Stars anyways.

get a job

To add to this user's sound advice - there's also Board Game Geek's 'Geek Bazaar' where other board gamers are selling stuff. I've gotten various good deals there in the past.

Oh, that's a cool link. Might have to add that to the Pastebin since it's helpful. Not the user you were replying to, but thanks.

> Collect games for their enjoyment value or for your love of the collection...

I thought I had a lot of games (including stuff I simply wanted even if it won't get played much) - then I met the designer of Dungeon Roll in an airport earlier this year and struck up a conversation. Turns out the guy runs a board gaming convention in the St. Louis area IIRC and has an 800+ game collection. That's A LOT of love...

No, don't have the cash, and Ameritrash just ain't my thing. Although Blood Bowl: Team Manger was fun. RIP.

Sure; the extra cash would be great. I would love to buy the Carson City Bix Box, but it was mucho expensive and now mucho OOP.

For stuff that has chance to be popular, the former; the rest, the latter.

Yup, that and thetracktor.com for amazon, and when you see a clearance happening at Target/Walmart brickseek can help save you a drive by checking if the game is even in stock near you.

BattleCON is my favorite 2 player game. It's basiclaly Guilty Gear: The Board Game, and it's fun as hell.

I generally recommend just grabbing the Devastation of Indines box. It has game to last you years. The bastards at Level99 like to put more shit inside every big box than most companies do in a big core plus two expansions.

Damnit! Now I'll have to update the Pastebin again with more good stuff. Thanks! :)

The pastebin is doing fine, don't worry; every time I meant to update that wife's rec picture I'd end up just revising the prices/scoring on my buy list instead, then that leads to checking the BGG marketplace, buying/selling, and trade/auction modules on the front page. By the time I'd get done had to get back to work and /bgg/ had to wait another day.

Heh! Welcome to the addition. (And thanks for the info-graphic. I pass that out when others request advice. It's handy.)

Because in the right mood and with the right people, I still think FoD is a fantastic game. I just think Specter Ops is more accessible and flexible.

Some of my work friends have been getting me into board games recently and I just picked up Arkham Horror. Played a couple games with a friend but we're having a big group come over around Halloween to play it.

What are some must have expansions for it? And is it a bad idea to mix too many of them together, or should you stick with the base game plus on other expansion? Since I'm new to board gaming I'm at a bit of a loss with how to go about expanding

I ended up buying all the Cerberus engine games after getting into them at the end of last year. Really simple, and easy to combined sets, went a bit overboard to work on a workshop mode for tabletop sim...

I started getting into boardgamegeek, but their site looks like it hasn't been updated since 1999, and it's been hard to find some random promos.

Now I'm at the point where I need to buy a bookshelf just for this collection.

Can't wait for Crossover pack 5 comes out and Attack on titans base set to fuck around with, but no real release date.

>Picked up Arkham Horror

Really wish you would've told us before, I would've told you to go with Eldritch instead (pretty much the same game but betterer)

Anyway, if you want to expand, I suggest you pick up Dunwich. Adds a couple nice mechanics. But also makes things far harder to manage, if you're new to board gaming, keep in mind this is going to be quite the undertaking. If you want to add just a bit of flavor, you could pick up one of the small expansion. Any of them are fine.

If you go and buy multiple BIG expansions though, dont try playing with all the boards. This is going to be madness.

Also, big groups are notoriously bad for Arkham Horror, the game is going to take FOREVER. Maybe you're okay with that, but the time between turns is going to be quite harrowing, be warned.

The people ive met online are a little cringy, but some of the nicest folk ive had the pleasure of meeting. Im constantly impressed with the games UI and the amount of customization people can add to the game. I mean XWING plays fucking great on it, I almost prefer to play xwing digitally then on the tabletop.

>horror themed game for 2+ players
>not an LCG or miniature game

Any ideas? We're looking at Elder Sign and it looks good but any others?

Hey guys, my brother recently picked up a (complete) copy of the ffg starcraft game for an absurdly low price at a thrift shop. We are hoping to give it a test run as a 2 player game next weekend. Is there anything I should know when playing it with the minimum number of players so as to make it run more smoothly? Does it run alright with just 2?

What makes Eldritch Horror better out of curiosity? I picked up Arkham mostly because it's what I've seen most at my FLGS and I was looking for something fun and horror themed for the holiday.

Shits a little confusing because it seemed like there were at least two other games that use similar material.

FFG's milking the Arkham Horror brand for all it's worth.

Anyway, it's more streamlined. The game is about as long as AH, but feels faster, there's less fiddly shit to keep track of, expansions are better integrated and each game as a whole presents a more cohesive story.

I would never put Chaos in the Old World into my collection because I'm an imperial patriot since early childhood

the games play very differently

arkham focuses on a single town. things feel more cramped, you feel less in control, like you're on a ride just hoping it doesn't go off the rails even though you know it will

eldritch is honestly more similar to pandemic. you run around the globe quickly putting down cultists and closing up gates. the story telling is a bit lighter, but it also usually makes more sense. it's a shorter, easier, less confusing game.

the only real similarity is the theme. for a lot of people, that's enough for them and they chose eldritch because it's a better game. for others, they don't want to give up the experience that arkham provides. most people acknowledge that eldritch is a tighter better game, but many still swear by arkham

it's almost like elder scrolls (arkham) vs the witcher (eldritch)

Escape from the aliens in outer space. Absolutely terrifying, tense competitive space survival with hidden roles, user suggested it and I got the PnP version. Sort of abstract but hella fun, check out a few gamplay vids, see if it's for you.

Yeah right. A wise man once said:

"The problem with Twilight Struggle is that no other game is Twilight Struggle."

Shame. It's easily one of the best assymmetric area control games you could ever play. Give yourself a chance, suspension of disbelief is a great thing.

>the only real similarity is the theme

I have to disagree, the encounters are very similar, the monster movement is similar, the items, the skill checks, character powers... I'm not seeing the parallels with Pandemic at all apart from "it's a map of the world"

COIN nut here. If there isn't a specific theme that you need (or your ok with extra purchases), start with Cuba Libre or Falling Sky. Both are simpler, although CL is better due to the same population-opinion mechanic showing up in the rest of the games.

>the monster movement is similar
>eldritch
>monster movement

Side note: COIN stands for COunter-INsurgence. All games feature regular armies vs guerillas/insurgents/freedom fighters/whatever

Well alright, most monsters are stationary. But you have to concede that the skill checks, curses/blessings, encounter cards (with the three separated events and shit)... are very close.

I'm not the user you replied to, but these look interesting. Sorry if I missed it since I just very quickly skimmed the reply chain but how is the solitaire game, in terms of fun compared to multi-player and also for replay value?

Any Bostonians who went to BFIGs here?

Had some cool shit yo.

This

Still working on it. I won't need to, actually, if my LCS proprietor who's been missing since Thursday gets his dick outta his hands and shows up before Wednesday, I've got a deal with him which isn't illegal and works better for both of us.

If you don't mind following flowcharts, then it's a great substitute for 4-player. But nothing beats watching one faction haggling with another for a couple bucks so they can fight a third.

Hey friends, what do you think of my potential stuff to buy ? Ill greentext the ones im more inclined to buy sooner rather than later

Fury of dracula
>Vault wars
>Citadels
Ascension
Settlers of catan
For sale
Roll for the galaxy
Biblios
Captain sonar
>Imagine
Codenames
>Mascarade
>Android netrunner
Thunderstone
Shadow hunters
>Tales of the arabian nights
>Small world
Jamaica
>Battlecon devestation of the indines
The captain is dead
Space cadets
Once upon a time
Mission red planet
CV

Opinions, anectodes, caution, stop me, convince me.

Im thinking ill spend 150~200 bucks on my next order, what would you say are the essentials?

-friend

If you want Fury you better buy that shit up now before it goes up in price (see: GW-FF deal falling through).

If you've got any inclination in that direction at all, I highly recommend grabbing a copy of the netrunner core set. The game isn't for everyone, but it's unique enough and has enough content in the core that I think it's absolutely worth experimenting with.

I panic purchased Fury of Dracula, Forbidden Stars, and the Warhammer Quest card game.

I'm a little disappointed we'll never see a reprint or another edition of Warrior Knights from FFG.

Cool, I'll probably get it then. It's very difficult for me to get 4 people together for a games night, due to time constraints, so I'd like something that's decent as a one player as well. This sounds like it could fit the bill. Thanks user.

Citadels is getting a reprint with new content apparently in the near future. I've enjoyed my set enough that I'm thinking of popping on the new one.

Does GW own Fury?

they published the first edition back in 87. I would imagine fantasy flight changed enough that they could just rename it and put it out with the dracula theme and not run into legal trouble, but who knows.

>Forbidden Stars
A shame it got shitcanned before they6 could release the four interesting factions.

>and put it out without the dracula theme
I'll assume this is what you mean.

nope, I meant with the dracula theme. how copyright law applies to board gaming is quite nebulous, but I'm pretty sure they've changed enough from the first edition that it could be considered a completely new game. It definitely wouldn't be like khet vs laser battle where laser battle was a blatant ripoff

although ffg is now owned by a european company, so maybe the laws are different.

like I said, board game copyright is a weird thing. obviously individual mechanics aren't protected, but I don't know where the line is. if it's the use of multiple mechanics, or a combination of mechanics with the theme, or what. all I know is fantasy flight changed a lot from second to third edition, and if they changed an equal amount of things from first to second edition (which might not be the case, it could have just been a slight update), then I'd imagine they're different enough to be safe

yeah i heard bout that, had it in mind when listing citadels.. I wasn't sure which would be better but figured with the price difference and the wait, I'd probably go for the original. Also, from what i hear they made some fixes to minor balance issues, and to be frank thats more or less all i cared about. The extra characters and whatnot are cool but don't interest me enough to warrant the wait/price difference.

hmmm good looks, yeah I was a bit iffy on this one but i'm thinking that maybe I should get myself one coz even if i end up not wanting to keep it, i can probably make some money...

Yes! as a matter of fact I really want this game!! and i'm confident that i'll have a few people to play with me.. I was considering getting the core set from someone on bgg for about 22 bucks (without the box) or roughly 30 bucks with it.

Any idea as to whether its worth keeping the box? or should i just nix it to get a lower shipping cost?

Also, I was in touch with someone who wanted to sell their base set along with a bunch of extra netrunner stuff, i never got the details on that because he stopped responding... but it was gonna be 50 bucks which to me sounds almost certainly a good deal.

whadya think? should i hold out on this guy's response or just go for the core set from that first guy?

hmm

How is this?

I'm pretty sure I told you last time that you don't need both Forbidden games

WE WUZ ...

have you looked into one night ultimate vampire? a lot of people are iffy on the changes from werewolf, and I flat out dislike it

also I'd agree with the other user. unless you have young kids, it's not worth getting both forbidden island and desert. desert is the meatier game that most people like more, although some do prefer island

The box is a box, if you decide you're into it and start expanding, you'll outgrow it relatively soon anyways. It's not an ugly box, but I probably wouldn't pay eight bucks for it.

go for it. 50 bucks for core + a couple deluxe packs + assorted shit is a steal

Looks good, though I personally don't enjoy Tokaido all that much. Also, if you're a bit patient and wait for a deal, you can score Forbidden Island for $12

>not buying Jaipur