Equipping PCs in the Underdark

I'm running a 5e D&D game where the party has been taken by slaver Deep Dwarves deep into the Underdark. After escaping their captors, the PCs found themselves imprisoned by Drow. After adding a number of NPCs to their group they escaped the Drow stronghold and are now attempting to find safe routes to the surface.

It's been a while since the PCs have replaced their gear or had access to many upgrades. The party has 5 members, all at 6th level. A Warlock, a Fighter, a Barbarian, a Transmutation Wizard and a Bard. What type of items would be good to give them? What type of gear should they have at this level to be balanced while having options? Any ideas thematically for gear they would find in the Underdark?

> 5e
> magical gear

I don't you think you understand, this is a real roleplaying game, not babby 3.5 shit where you focus on upgrading from +2 to +3 sword and if you don't have one you are unable to fight certain monsters. See we as a community grew out of that kind of shit-tier "gaming" a decade ago.

Well I'm asking: are there items that add depth to the environment? Getting beyond drow poison and weapons that suck when they get back to the sunlight. I'd like inspiration for Underdark cool stuff.

>Any ideas thematically for gear they would find in the Underdark?

The basics would be the type of gear their enemies (they defeat) would have. So what would Drow have, etc?

I've been working on having gear become magical based on the heroic actions of their owners. So when the player slays a creature that is 'epic' I upgrade his weapon to reflect what he did, what happened, that sort of thing.

The idea is that the weapon should have a story that fits the actions of the PC and grow as they do.

Of course, nothing wrong with finding an epic weapon.

Read Dungeon World and you might learn more about what makes an RPG compelling. Hint: it's not gear.

He isn't suggesting that gear is what makes an RPG compelling. He is only asking for suggestions that would help add depth the environment. Stuff that would fit the environment.

>Dungeon World

You tipped your hand, were too obvious.

I get the feeling I shouldn't bother reading Dungeon World. Any content that WOULD be beneficial to read for inspiration?

If they're in the underdark "attempting to find safe routes to the surface" they're basically dead. Only way to survive the underdark is to be led by natives.

In escaping the Drow stronghold they have allied themselves with a Deep Gnome, a Kuo-Tao and a Quaggoth that all had various reasons for being trapped. Currently the party has decided to follow the Kuo-Tao as his people's location is considerably closer and they don't really know anything about any Underdark races.

Things that produce light are nifty.

Look for any general weaknesses across the monsters you are using, it'd be cool if they found the corpses of heroes who equipped themselves with a few such items.

At level 6 a few +1s should be plenty fine. ACs don't ramp up so parties can go a long time without finding magic items and the natural scaling of their character will take care of the rest.

Nah you should read Dungeon World and stop coming up with bullshit excuses not to. It will teach you a LOT about GMing. Including how to do it at the level of an 18 year old, which is about 10 years above what you are going at right now.

>random insults
>no actual logic
>pretty sure it's a troll being all "muh memes"

/v/ plz leave

> I'm running a 5e D&D game where the party has been taken by slaver Deep Dwarves deep into the Underdark. After escaping their captors, the PCs found themselves imprisoned by Drow. After adding a number of NPCs to their group they escaped the Drow stronghold and are now attempting to find safe routes to the surface.

That's not a story, that's railroaded bullshit from one of the published adventures. Not real roleplaying. You'll notice Dungeon World doesn't have prepublished adventures because it's not prepackaged, paint-by-the-numbers bullshit. The players all work to create the setting so that they all have a stake in it. That means they participate equally, instead of being spoonfed whatever bullshit adventure the DM found on the bargain shelf.

> The party has 5 members, all at 6th level. A Warlock, a Fighter, a Barbarian, a Transmutation Wizard and a Bard. What type of items would be good to give them?

Those aren't characters. Those are classes. That is not a character. This is why you need Dungeon World. You are so stuffed full of this shallow D&D bullshit that you need a refresher course in what an RPG really is.

>I don't like how other people have fun
>I don't like how other people to adhere to my strict definitions
>I'm going to jump to conclusions based on random words
>I'm going to throw in random insults

Okay, yeah I'm done with you troll. Go back to /v/

Feel free to say a last word so you can keep up the facade of you being someone with actual things to say. Who knows, you might just hook another person.

That being said, I hope this board starves you.

>Not real roleplaying
top kek.

-stuff that lets you see in the dark
-stuff that lets you kill things more effectively in the dark
-stuff that lets you navigate without traditional navigational landmarks (ex. the stars)
-stuff that drives away native critters
-stuff that's really powerful in the Underdark but useless elsewhere (admantine drow weapons are the classic example)
-exotic Underdark delicacies/trade goods
-exotic Underdark pets
-lost weapons from a drow/ilithid/kua-toa/other underdark power ruin
-gear from dead adventurers

Are you playing Out of the abyss? if not, read that.

>I get the feeling I shouldn't bother reading Dungeon World.

You're correct, it's cancerous storygaming bullshit

OD&D is your best bet

In the back of my head I imagine this user is the same as Dungeon World user. He never cared about Dungeon World or OD&D, he just wants to have meme nerd rage console wards but with roleplaying games.

What kind of gear do they have now?
btw, asking the players where they want to upgrade their characters can't hurt. If the barbarian feels that he needs more protection, he'll probably be happier with a small +1 ring than with excalibur.

You seems to be an obnoxious and unhelpful prick. Or you have reading difficulties.

>trying this hard
3/10 made me reply

>That's not a story, that's railroaded bullshit from one of the published adventures.
Proving you know nothing about the published adventure. Next you will be saying players in 5e can't throw a vampire out of a window like that pasta from 5eg.