ITT: Asshole Game Store Owners

So I just got back from my Friendly Local Game Store. I witnessed a screaming match between the owner and one of his regulars.

Long story short, the owner of this particular store posted an update on our invite only Facebook group that "Effective Immediately, Age of Sigmar may no longer be played on store tables." A lot of people thought he was joking, but I've known this guy for a long time. He's been playing WFB since the late 80's and was pretty miffed by AoS' release so I wouldn't put it past him.

This guy showed up with one of his friends and trying to play AoS anyway. It turned out the owner wasn't joking. He really had just banned the game from the store to make room for his 9th age and KoW players.

The AoS players were told to leave and they objected. Loudly.

How many store owners have you known to be assholes who treat the store like their personal mancave?

Thats like every game store owner im pretty sure. Our local game store owner bans people for playing unhinged/unglued that wasn't bought there. Wish I was trolling :,^)

That guy's going to lose his GW retailer license if he keeps this up.

It shit like this that stops me from collecting/playing again.

No matter how sexy the skitarii/cultmech are... I WANT THEM SO BAD

yeah this happened, because the game store owner really wants to discourage people from playing games. on a scale of, say, 1 to 20, how dumb do you think we are?

Eh, I've seen some badly mismanaged shit.

They don't last long, but shit happens

A lot of game stores are started by people who have far more passion for their hobby than business sense.

You should get out more often. You might learn how many different people there are in the world.

If true call up GW and report on it.

The owner of my LGS is a cunt that rants like a /pol/tard. And not even a particularly good one.

And I hate the SJW bullshit as much as the next sane person.

this. they didn't open a niche hobby shop because they want to make it big financially. they just have money and want to create a community that they feel entitled to gatekeep. think server owners back when talking with people online was limited to who was footing the bill to host mumble/teamspeak/whatever.

I honestly wish my FLGS would ban women from the store. They are distracting, bad players, and they are constantly mewling for attention and gahtering their network of beta bitch orbiters to do their bidding.

>How many store owners have you known to be assholes who treat the store like their personal mancave?
Every last one of them. I think it's a requirement to owning a game store that you be a particularly shitty aspie nerd with less than zero business acumen.

Can't see it hurting him too much, no one plays AoS anyway.

>"there's a whole army of female fighters!"
>SoB haven't gotten a new unit in years
>never even saw a plastic sprue
>paltry codex updates have seen token changes and liquidation of units and options
>minutes to midnight on Age of Emperor, being put to bed Bretonnian-style
>"see, it's totally fair!"

Then you have the Eldar, who have a firm amount of females, the Imperial Guard, which explicitly has all-female regiments...

>b-but muh greentext!
Fuck off.

>like their personal mancave?
I read that as 'manclave', and thought it was a much cleverer word.

50%?

>Completly ignoring the multiple female eldar kits, commander shadowsun and the multiple women mentioned in lore. If you're that mad order third party female bits or use a little greenstuff, no one is stopping you.

What is the IG?
What are the Eldar?
What are the Dark Eldar?
What is the AdMech?
What are the Tau?

Even if it was true, who gives a fuck? Women don't need to be in fucking everything any more than men do.

>>/tumblr/

In lore the Sisters are one of the most scary fighting forces in the imperium. Catholic warrior nuns with fire and chainsaws. they can lay low genetically altered gods. Pretending they don't exist is disingenuous at best, even if neglected on a table.

Then there are the Tau, the orks are essentially sexless fungi football hooligans, the Imperial guard calls both men and women and their is a bunch of people that make pretty cheep parts for conversion.

Then there is the Eldar, where there are entire aspects of warrior women with power weapons and banshee masks, female models all over the place, harlequins, farseers.. Every eldar man woman and even the dead must be called to fight.

Oh and the dark eldar, who do it for the lulz.

And even the chaos minions and demons have both male and female and "in between" characters and models.

FFS I don't even play the miniatures game and I love this universe and the RPGs it spawned. It makes over the top characters and stories forged of pure awesome.

AND DID WE FORGET ABOUT 2ND LIEUTENANT MIRA?!

You remember her right? lowest ranking officer that gathers the remains of a smashed ig unit to fight back against Ork invasion and chaos forces, and manages to come to the rescue of the titular spacemarine you're playing in the damn game?!

And she does it with a fucking flash light.

Underrated post.

>AND DID WE FORGET ABOUT 2ND LIEUTENANT MIRA?!

I suspect when /v/ and /a/ infiltrated.

Shit, you're not wrong.

It also sounds less like a euphemism for a butthole.

>Group of items sells like shit because nobody wants it and nobody wants to buy it
>Stop making it to save money instead of catering to a non-existant market
>"S-S-S-SEXISM!"

Could I get just that lower pic, by chance?

Don't forget the Wyches of the Dark Eldar, and Shadowsun for the Tau.

shouldn't this be on /soc/ or something? I don't know how business policy is Veeky Forums related.

The owner certainly has the right to ban what he wants, it's a deliberate decision to alienate customers though. In years gone by, many gameshop owners tried to avoid GW stuff in general, because of how GW handled retail policies. These days, without doing GW stuff, there really isn't much of a gameshop...you can't expect to maintain a store selling OSR, historical wargame or boardgame titles, which is unfortunate.

Game shops near me go almost entirely without GW, mostly because of how pants-on-head retarded the company's policies run, the general hygiene of the players, who are to be discouraged, and the fact that, frankly, leaving the shelves without it makes room for the litterally thousands of other products from wizkids, WotC, Paizo etc. Seriously, without GW, the shops thrive, because seriously, success should go to the company that actually makes good business decisions, and frankly, WH40k is not a good one.

>owning a game store
>with less than zero business acumen.of course. why would he own a gamestore in the first place otherwise.

He sounds like an awesome store owner

People like you seem to forget that GW's product range is not determined by political correctness or anything else, but what sells.
GWs prime demographic are teenage boys. That's who they are pandering to.

They're a business. They want to make money.

Someone's either jealous of the female attention or a 13 year old shoggoth like creature who couldn't get a girl even if he tried.

Or, far more likely, someone trolling for replies

Almost every game shop owner I've ever met is the same.
They've all been either unsociable or resentful that I'm able to play games whilst they have to spend their time working.

My old LGS would run their gaming nights like a youth club, where the owner just let the little shits that turned up shout and scream at each other until it was time to kick them out.
He couldn't have cared less about the more mature gamers that were looking for a place to meet up.

There was this other place I used to visit for awhile whilst I was working in another part of the country. It was so freaking small that if you stretched you could touch both walls. There was enough room for a single table but if people were sitting at it they blocked the way to the register.
The guy who ran the place would often comment how he'd "made it" becoming a store owner. Whilst running a zombiecide game with his friends in a way that meant no one could even get past the door.
I once popped in to quickly grab some sleeves for a game and had to leave empty handed after standing there for 10 mins asking politely if someone could get them for me. Only to be ignored because the owner was showing everyone this cool new MtG promo.

I've known quite a few game store owners, and to be fair most don't start out as shit (although many do). Most are worn down by dealing with gamers all day, and gamers are terrible people...

I was lucky to have 3 shops close to each other to pick, but only one of them I refuse to go to:
>shareholder turned owner is the greediest jew
>type that will make it VERY obvious that money buys his time
>protects certain people legitimately caught red handed cheating at mtg because "they are good customers. Good customers get strikes, not outright bans."
>Half comic store. Alot of people would come browse. He put the comics up on the second floor and charges $5 to go to the second floor
>will charge his own fee on top of entry fees for sanctioned prerelease ect.
>pprevious owner had tables for pnp games and let groups play. Jew decided it's $5 a person and must have an open door to new players rule (to get more people paying)
>ordered a pizza once. He approached the table, and took out a calculator (I shit you not), and mated out a fee for outside food because he offers soda

That was the last straw. It was insane, and not only that, he was Fucking creepy and shaped like a pear. He would talk to any female in a pretty invasive way.

I second this. Most That Guy stories are horseshit, this is just another permutation on the theme. It is so obvious that you are lying.

Cringe culture is honestly the worst shit in the world. It completely denigrates the human spirit, it is the most revolting sort of gossip--the sort that would not be informative even if it were true, and would not be interesting or useful to anyone of any intelligence if even if it were informative.

>How many store owners have you known to be assholes who treat the store like their personal mancave?

literally every single one. and that's why they go out of business.

I stopped going to one of the LGS here because the owner was pushing us to play AoS and was mad at us when we played KoW.

I don't really see the problem. It's his store, he decides what's played there.

The bigger question of course is why nobody seems to run any kind of gaming groups or associations with a space to play games, renting isn't that expensive if you're a group.

would you care to hear the incredible true story of my last FLGS going under?

100% guaranteed true cringe.

includes MLP and transvestites.

This is possibly the most autistic thread active right now.

Were you deliberately trying to make the most cringe inducing post you could for the sake of irony, or are you simply oblivious?

Asshole?

This fellow noble fa/tg/uy has decided to stand up to the shitty company that is GW and stop gobbling on their giant corporate ball sac by banning a fucking awful game that literally destroyed an entire loved franchise and replaced it with a game made by a committee of marketers. He does this in spite of the potential loss of money from not being able to sell GW products which are sadly the biggest selling in the market, although only because the market has been utterly stifled by GW itself.

Fuck those AoS fags and fuck you for thinking your hero store owner is the bad guy. If you want to repent at all, buy that man a drink and pick up some Kings of War to play.

It's kinda the other way around, these days a store can easily get around without selling anything from GW since X-Wing and Warmahordes are huge.

Consider pubs.
If your group buys food and a few drinks the pub landlord is normally only too happy to let out their conference room for a few hours a week. Normally a damn sight cleaner than a FLGS too, due to harsher health regulations.

>I don't really see the problem. It's his store, he decides what's played there.

let me tell you a story of a shitty cleveland restaurantur.

a guy who used to be a hotshot chef in the 70's decided he wanted to try to breathe life into clevelands culinary scene and make it worth a shit.

so he started making all these "concept restaurants"

for example, one was a french brasserie. on the youtube promo video he did when he opened, he boldly stated that he wasn't going to offer typical american options.

"no burgers. no fucking ketchup. *chuckle* meaner portions that focus on flavor"

5 years later hes serving a very popular burger option, ketchup by the bucket, and larger portions so the customers "feel they're getting a good deal"

what happened?

well, he discovered his customers were largely from a local monied enclave of jews(and thats not a slur, literally 80% of the customers that tip big enough to pay his staff are outwardly religious socialite jews) , and they wanted to eat burgers with a bucket of ketchup and james bond martinis in a frenchy feeling place.

you can create and peddle the most refined things in the world, but if the pigs have all the money you need to acheive your grander goals then you must cater to pigs until you don't need them anymore.

and that's just the way things are.

and that's why you can't control the crowd brought in by MTG and warhams when you don't have the money to run a game store as a hobby as opposed to as a livelyhood.

>food analogy

didn't read.

and that's why your flgs will fail.

>implying there are not sexist by thinking the Tau are all male
>implying tyranids, orks and necron are not representative of a large non-cis galactic community
>implying genre and social construct of male/female binarity matters in the chaos army where every soldier has multiple sets of both male and female organs and more
fucking bigots

Who cares? I'm in a roleplay and wargaming club, there's about 60 members at the moment. We have 8 tables and more terrain than you can shake a stick at. Our only problem is that the weebs would rather spend all day watching anime on the projector than go to school.

>Thats like every game store owner im pretty sure
More like every neckbeards. Have you ever read the i want to open my own lgs threads everytime one pops out? All of the shitty advice and 'my dream shop' posts made me wince.

You left out the crucial part: does he actually sell AoS? Gamespace isn't free, in fact it can cost more to keep a gamespace than it does to keep an employee. It's for customers, to promote whatever they buy from you so other people will get interested in it. You don't get a shitty meal from McDonalds then get a table at an expensive restaurant to eat it at.

Should he stock AoS? Hard to say. Probably not. GW's business practices are absolute garbage and game stores which actually operate off data have been trending towards rising sales but falling GW sales. There are still GW sales worth the shelfspace to be had, but it's mostly tied to space marines, various bundles and supplies.

Game stores no longer need GW, or their entitled fanboys. Claiming otherwise is like saying you can't have a profitable soda machine without Moxie.

Don't know Moxie? Look it up.

My LGS put up the most NSFW Simon Bisley and Luis Royo art prints he could find on the walls. It has dissuaded moms from dropping their children and non-gamer women from staying.

And the former is the reason they're there. He has a sign at the door that states because of the nature and design of the products for sale he resserves his services to people over the intended age range of 13+, but soccer moms HAVE to shove their kids everywhere and then complain because the art in Macabre Waltz was too creepy or the wargames were too violent or they didn't want their kids to be exposed to "gambling".
Luckily, as soon as there's a picture of a bare female nipple around it becomes a forbidden space and the kids are gone along their harpy mothers.

Regardless, the man is being a giant faggot for yelling at a customer because he is butthurt his setting got banned.

He clearly is not in it for money because if he was he would carry AoS for the obvious playerbase WANTING to play at his store.

So much this. I run a store for my income and, short of cheating or theft or trade swindling, I let the aspies do their thing.

The benefit of a nerd store though is I can make the schedules for events around disenfranchising them or encouraging the way they play at certain times. Like having EDH free play on Fridays at 6pm and the points based cancer league at noon on Tuesday.

The cancer league makes me more money per person but the free play nets me more money period AND gets me better exposure with the normie crowd.

I implore you to go to sup/tg/ and read up on classic and wholly true-proven stories of the board. Many of them escalated into Veeky Forums itself becoming involved with the that guy.

Start with Big Boy Blue.

I think they're arseholes BECAUSE they're going out of business. A lot of these stories reek of "guy whose livelihood is going down the drain".

>wholly true-proven stories
>big boy blue

>Big Boy Blue

I'm 99% positive that was made up.

I could buy most of the story desu because I filed it in my mind as "so fucking batshit that I can almost believe he didn't make it up."

What really killed it for me was his girlfriend hearing from said That Guy that the poster cheated on her, then immediately committed suicide without bothering to see if it's true or not. Considering That Guy was either a completely random stranger or someone she should've known wasn't trustworthy, it just adds too much of "Waah, look how much he ruined my life" to the story for his "epic comeback" against TG.

I can honestly say this is the main reason why I quit my last job at an LGS and got a better job in another one a town over.

And it wasn't just the owner who had this mentality, most of the people he'd hire would treat it like their own personal gaming club and couldn't give less of a shit about the business. The amount of times me and this bro-tier kid in workplace-training have had to do all the shit ourselves because everyone else was too busy playing games with the regular customers was just embarrassing.

Fuck you George and fuck your store.

The FLGS I used to go to was... okay ish.
The people were nice with good casual games.
But every MTG tournament was rigged.
The owners and a group of 6 regulars were win-trading.
Making it impossible for anyone else to get a spot in the finals.
After I cought on to that they all got a pissy attitude towards me.
Later they removed their gameboards for a waterpipe chill room for his junkie friends.
They are closed now and I got now have the closest FLGS about 40minutes of travel away.

I fucked that sentance up badly.

That's literally what the article is about: lack of SoB updates and female model representation even though the lore has women.

You fucked up that sentence too.

That third point blows my fucking mind.

I went into my local game store once because I was interested in learning more about traditional gaming & all the patrons/ staff were really rude and hostile. Now I just play DnD with my friends every now and then & don't go into game stores.

You gotta love how visibly insecure so many people are about this topic.

Those boards are cancerous.

I don't play tabletop because I don't have the time to devote to painting an army and lots of disposable income.

If I did I'd play the Imperial Guard, or maybe Eldar. I love the stories and the universe though, the Pen and paper rpgs like dark heresy, only war, and the rest.

The ability to tell a personal and human story in a war where the casualties amount to millions per day. and such a wild space fantasy setting I find just really fun.

There used to be 2 games stores here, One was primarily a comic shop that had gaming stuff too, the other was purely gaming and rather small, but the owner was great everyone was pretty friendly there. Then Magic the gathering happened, and the slew of other CCGs that followed it. Eventually the Gaming store closed in the early 2000s leaving the comic store as the only game in town for over a decade. One guy even started hosting a game night at his shop as a regular once a week gathering.

When I go to the Comic shop one I try to spend as little time there as possible, the attitude sucks, the people working there are different flavors of "comicbook guy" but now someone opened a GW store in town so I don't have to drive 40 miles south to a decent shop. And the owner there is pretty cool, the people are friendly and don't talk down to you.

Who knows I may just learn to play tabletop finally.

Especially since when that article was posted here it was quickly identified as click-bait that didn't match the content.

Did you ever read that article? It was like someone with a surface level only knowledge of warhammer writing a social justice bullshit piece without a shred of information about the universe they were criticizing. Boiling it down to "Why can't wiminz be speez murines?!"

It inspired violent mockery.

Actually my LGS owner is probably the only sane and likeable person in that place. She's this nice lesbian weeaboo always kind, willing to make some small discounts to keep you hooked and happy to let you borrow one of her sweet EDH decks. I stopped going there because litterally all of her clients are insufferable cunts and while at first it's funny, I don't really like a bunch of sweaty nerds treating me like I'm the worst pile of shit of this earth because I don't show up often, I play slowly, I don't speak about how magic is dead all the time and bring casual decks because I can't afford to waste all of my paycheck on cardboard (and more other unforgivable sins that trigger their autism). It's basically Veeky Forums: the LGS.

Is it bad that shit like this actually does make me hope in some small part for better representation? It probably won't make traditional games ever more accessible to not the single most terrible demographics to interact with personally outside of bodybuilding conventions, but if the eventual future holds being able to admit to playing anything tg related without people assuming you're a "libertarian" maybe it'll be worth it.

Especially if Veeky Forums doesn't suck so fucking bad then

Think long and hard about whether you actually think anyone would ever point to 40k lore, except the obviously cherry-picked examples mentioned thrice over whenever anything related to this shit gets mentioned, as a genuine bastion of fair-minded writing. Contemplate the small legion of sweaty white guys who play Krieg because they "just really like those nazi aesthetics"

I have a few stories:

>My friend got me into 40k
I started going to GW to learn to paint and mod my chaos marines. Necrons had just come out, and the manager spent the entire time pulling people away from painting and forcing them to play against his necrons which were steamrolling everything. Between him, his staff making fun of 11 year olds not being able to paint well, and the money I abandoned the game never to come back.

>My friend got me into magic
I was buying cheap kitchen table game cards to play while drinking. LGS owner openly mocks the cards I was buying from his employee who was visibly cringing. "Oh sorry, I've just been a judge for so many years that I can't help but think about how decks compare to competitive decks." I never went back, opting to buy online.

>FLGS this time
I can't find anyone to help me buy a board game, the entire staff is literally sitting at the PCs they rent to people to play video games playing WoW. I realized I was the only customer in the store with a half dozen employees just playing games and nothing else. I come back a couple weeks late and the owner had cleaned house because his manager left the display cases unlocked and someone walked out of the store with all their tarmogoyfs and a bunch of WH models were stolen.

Apparently you just read what you wanted from the article regardless of what it said.

(me)
I should mention in the last story that some of the fired employees egged the owner's neighbor thinking it was his house, and spray painted dicks on the front of the store. They were arrested, and the owner posted the articles about them getting sent to 30 days in jail for it.

>nazi aesthetics

Newsflash, I've been here since day 1 son, "tg has always sucked."

And 40k lore isn't concisely one narrative, it gets written by many different people with many different perspectives and stles, it makes for some great stuff because it feels like you're reading about a history from many different writers. In that sense "Wolf and Sister" can have just as much importance to someone as a story as the "Horus Heresy book #57 : Horus hears a Who." does.

As for nazi aesthetics, the ww2/ww1 german aesthetics looked pretty cool. Take away the political stuff and you have warriors dressed in hugo boss with a very big and imposing tank pointed at you. And the DKOK, are modeled after ww1 French with a german/ish helmet with the same kind of peek ridge that the french helmets had.

I remember this piece of shit.

The author touches on Sisters of Battle and then says "they don't count because reasons."

Thanks, user. I needed that.

anyone got info on LGS around edinburgh?

I believe it, just because my LFGS also had owners like this. Not the main owner, who had like 75% of the stock, but the lesser owners, who would get in redfaced screaming matches with regulars over WH40K rules and who at one point threw a slushee at the store's window.

Said owner was eventually bought out by all the other owners.

That's really fucked up.

I've also been lobbying Maybelline and Aveda to start respecting their many straight male fans and release lines of product tailored to us.

I even pitched a whole line of cosmetics called WARPAINT

For some reason the feminist blogs haven't embraced my cause, even though they're all about gender equality and inclusiveness, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

I think there's one called 6s2Hit; it's somewhere near Haymarket station.

Just stay away from Glasgow, all their shit is utter cancer. Especially Static.

Yeah, the blogger wants all the toys SM has instead of the tools SoB gets.

This. LGSs are int hat class of store, along with record shops, that the owners run because it dovetails with their hobbies. That means you see a lot of weirdness at the bad ones because the managers think of it as their personal hobby room.

Never go into business selling your hobby kids.

In my experience, short of few trolls, I've found Veeky Forums to be the friendliest, most welcoming board there is. It's the reason I started playing tabletop.

Well it would be, it's glasgow

Actually some game stores operate at a loss, but the owner uses their income from other sources to keep the shop afloat anyway.

We have at least 1 of these in my city. They can be either great or terrible. I lucked out, mine is great.

>I'm a 17 year old male gamer loner the post.

>wholly proven true stories
>Big Boy Blue

I'll bet you think Old Man Henderson actually happened too.

I bet you think anyone's actually been posting here - probably assumed you'd been talking with other people for years now.

Most people don't know the truth of the ROBOT9001 directive, but I discovered it after years of research. It wasn't an experiment to end shitposting, but a ruse to mass-program over 9000 bots with all the posting styles and habits of thousands of Veeky Forums users. Once they were ready, moot let them out onto the other boards. Veeky Forums would survive even if there was only one man left to post on it, because nine thousand more would help keep things active.

I think this just tells you how bad Age of Shitmar really is.

Wait, so fantasy titty posters work like soccer mom repellent?

I'll take 20 please. I should really do this at the shop, dedicate a wall to the customers so they can post art and stuff in the gaming area.

There's 3 I know of- the Games Hub, which is near bristo square- would recommend, it's where I do my drafts and often just pop around to kill time when I'm in the area. It's a pretty cozy one and the staff are nice.

6s to hit is nearby, a couple blocks closer to princes street than the games hub- it's more wargames heavy, cant say anything for the staff there.

Theres black lion games, which is by the meadows, rnear the central uni collection, reasonably varied selection IIRC.

And the tabletop cafe on the royal mile, although I've only just stopped in there once in passing so cant tell you much about it.

Hope that helps you out user

Genius... PC planning level genius.

I give a pass to most game stories for two reasons: The first being that I've seen enough bad/good games and players to know that it's not implausible, and secondly because I know they're all made up.

Not made up in the sense that the dude came on Veeky Forums to lie about it, but made up as in 'all tabletop games are inherently fictional'. We can't prove shit one way or the other, they offer us free entertainment, I say fuck it: they get a pass.

It's kind of like 'How to Tell a True War Story.' Basic idea being that you're telling over the top lies to try and make sure your audience gets even part of the whole truth.

Nope.
I got the best LGS in the world, baybe.
My only complaint is that they don't play Mouse Guard regularly and I can't be arsed to DM it for people because I don't own a physical copy.