/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Kurwa and Croissants Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit
List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R
ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes
/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/8tatre3vd10yv/Avalon_Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mediafire.com/download/09mk2fxtj6fma5j/Osprey - CAM 191 - Vienna 1683.pdf
mediafire.com/download/726f528kk8m0935/Osprey - ELI 058 - The Janissaries.pdf
mediafire.com/download/titnik65pjj3mml/Osprey - MAA 140 - Armies Of The Ottoman Turks 1300-1774.pdf
mediafire.com/download/47cpmb1x826t4ji/Osprey - MAA 188 - Polish Armies 1569-1696 (2).pdf
mediafire.com/download/ah2n4ednoxk3rv4/Osprey - WAR 094 - Polish Winged Hussar 1576-1775.pdf
mediafire.com/download/p8c4tqj3z6336uo/Osprey - RAID 009 - Gran Sasso 1943.pdf
mediafire.com/download/1lfvfani2aevoym/DBA 3.0.pdf
mediafire.com/download/9o59f6dbrqjuv9j/Donnybrook.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/qlbapdg9qgwwq/Gloire
mediafire.com/download/5l3hst32y45hn72/Long Rifle.pdf
mediafire.com/download/wwyc1bbgx1y6svq/Sharp Practice v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/c7t9igxo2ce8sif/Song of Drums and Shakos.pdf
mediafire.com/download/qb44duyit5ewe1x/Song of Drums and Tomahawks.pdf
store.warlordgames.com/collections/american-war-of-independence-1776-1783/products/liberty-or-death-american-war-of-independence-battle-set
historicalfirearms.info/post/45835182762/mas-36cr39-paratrooper-rifle-in-1939-the-french
deltavector.blogspot.co.nz/2014/12/pegasus-172-log-cabins-scottish.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>By Fire And Sword
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ

Desired scans :
Black Powder supplements
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

12th of September in military history:

490 BC – Battle of Marathon: The conventionally accepted date for the Battle of Marathon. The Athenians and their Plataean allies, defeat the first Persian invasion force of Greece.
1185 – Emperor Andronikos I Komnenos brutally put to death in Constantinople.
1213 – Albigensian Crusade: Simon de Montfort, 5th Earl of Leicester, defeats Peter II of Aragon at the Battle of Muret.
1229 – Battle of Portopí: The Aragonese army under the command of James I of Aragon disembarks at Santa Ponça, Majorca, with the purpose of conquering the island.
1309 – The First Siege of Gibraltar takes place in the context of the Spanish Reconquista pitting the forces of the Kingdom of Castile against the Emirate of Granada resulting in a Castilian victory.
1683 – Austro-Ottoman War: Battle of Vienna – several European armies join forces to defeat the Ottoman Empire.
1814 – Battle of North Point: an American detachment halts the British land advance to Baltimore in the War of 1812.
1847 – Mexican–American War: the Battle of Chapultepec begins.
1897 – Tirah Campaign: Battle of Saragarhi.
1942 – World War II: RMS Laconia, carrying civilians, Allied soldiers and Italian POWs is torpedoed off the coast of West Africa and sinks with a heavy loss of life.
1942 – World War II: First day of the Battle of Edson's Ridge during the Guadalcanal Campaign. U.S. Marines protecting Henderson Field on Guadalcanal are attacked by Imperial Japanese Army forces.
1943 – World War II: Benito Mussolini, dictator of Italy, is rescued from house arrest on the Gran Sasso in Abruzzi, by German commando forces led by Otto Skorzeny.

It is 333 years since the Battle of Vienna, which took place after the Imperial city of Vienna had been besieged by the Ottoman Empire for two months. The battle was fought by the Habsburg Monarchy, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the Holy Roman Empire, under the command of King John III Sobieski against the invading Muslim Ottoman Empire and its vassal and tributary states, and took place at Kahlenberg Mountain near Vienna. The Viennese garrison was led by Ernst Rüdiger Graf von Starhemberg, an Austrian subject of Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I. The battle marked the first time Poland and the Holy Roman Empire had cooperated militarily against the Turks, and it is often seen as a turning point in history, after which "the Ottoman Turks ceased to be a menace to the Christian world".

The opposing military forces were commanded by Grand Vizier Merzifonlu Kara Mustafa Pasha. The Ottoman army numbered approximately 90,000–300,000 men (according to documents on the order of battle found in Kara Mustafa's tent, initial strength at the start of the campaign was 170,000 men). They began the siege on 14 July 1683. The Turkish forces consisted, among other units, of 60 ortas of Janissaries (12,000 men paper-strength) with an observation army of c. 70,000 men watching the countryside. The decisive battle took place on 11 September, after the united relief army had arrived.

Historians suggest the battle marked the turning point in the Ottoman–Habsburg wars, a 300-year struggle between the Holy Roman and Ottoman Empires. In fact, during the 16 years following the battle, the Austrian Habsburgs gradually recovered and dominated southern Hungary and Transylvania, which had been largely cleared of Turkish forces. The battle is also noted for including the largest known cavalry charge in history.

The battle started before all units were fully deployed. At 4:00 am, the Ottomans attacked, seeking to interfere with the deployment of the Holy League troops. Charles of Lorraine moved forward with the Imperial army on the left and the other Imperial forces in the center and, after heavy fighting, took several key positions. By noon the Imperial army had already severely mauled the Turks and come close to breakthrough. Though shattered, the Ottoman army did not crumble at that moment.

Mustafa Pasha launched his counterattacks with most of his force, but held back some of the elite Janissary and Sipahi units for a simultaneous assault on the city. The Ottoman commanders had intended to take Vienna before Sobieski arrived, but time ran out. Their sappers had prepared a large, final detonation under the Löbelbastei to breach the walls. In total, ten mines were set to explode but they were located by the defenders and disarmed.

In the early afternoon a large battle started on the other side of the battlefield as the Polish infantry advanced on the Ottoman right flank. Instead of concentrating on the battle with the relief army, the Ottomans continued their efforts to force their way into the city. Hence, the Poles could make good progress, and by 4:00 pm they had taken the village of Gersthof, which would serve as a base for their massive cavalry charge. The Ottomans were in a desperate position, between the Polish and Imperial forces. Charles of Lorraine and John III Sobieski both decided on their own to resume the offensive and finish off the enemy.

The Imperials resumed the offensive on the left front at 3:30 pm. At first they encountered fierce resistance and were stopped. This did not last long, however, and by 5:00 pm they had made further gains and were now very close to the central Turkish position. As they were preparing to storm it, they could see the Polish cavalry in action.

It is recorded that the Polish cavalry slowly emerged from the forest to the cheers of the onlooking infantry, which had been anticipating their arrival. At 4:00 pm the Polish hussars first entered into action, battering the Turkish lines. At that point the Turkish vizier decided to leave this position and retreat to his headquarters in the main camp further south. However, by then many Ottomans were already leaving the battlefield.

At around 6:00 pm the Polish king ordered the cavalry attack in four groups, three Polish and one from the Holy Roman Empire. Eighteen thousand horsemen charged down the hills, the largest cavalry charges in history. John III Sobieski led the charge at the head of 3,000 Polish heavy lancers, the famed "Winged Hussars". The Lipka Tatars who fought on the Polish side wore a sprig of straw in their helmets to distinguish themselves from the Tatars fighting on the Ottoman side. The charge easily broke the lines of the Ottomans, who were exhausted and demoralized and soon started to flee the battlefield. The cavalry headed straight for the Ottoman camps and Kara Mustafa's headquarters, while the remaining Viennese garrison sallied out of its defenses to join in the assault.

The Ottoman troops were tired and dispirited following the failure of both the attempt at sapping and the assault on the city and the advance of the Holy League infantry. The cavalry charge was one last deadly blow. Less than three hours after the cavalry attack, the Christian forces had won the battle and saved Vienna. The first Christian officer who entered Vienna was Margrave Ludwig of Baden, at the head of his dragoons. Afterwards Sobieski paraphrased Julius Caesar's famous quotation (Veni, vidi, vici) by saying "Veni, vidi, Deus vicit"--"I came, I saw, God conquered".

The Ottomans lost at least 20,000 men during the siege, while their losses during the battle with Sobieski's forces amounted to around 15,000 dead and 5,000 captured. Casualties of the allied relief force under Sobieski's command were much smaller, amounting to approximately 3,500 dead and wounded, including 1,300 Poles.

The Holy League troops and the Viennese took a large amount of loot from the Ottoman army, which King John Sobieski vividly described in a letter to his wife a few days after the battle: "Ours are treasures unheard of . . . tents, sheep, cattle and no small number of camels . . . it is victory as nobody ever knew before, the enemy now completely ruined, everything lost for them. They must run for their sheer lives . . . General Starhemberg hugged and kissed me and called me his saviour."

On 25 December 1683, Kara Mustafa Pasha was executed in Belgrade in the approved manner, by strangulation with a silk rope pulled by several men on each end, by order of the commander of the Janissaries.

This is a truly historic battle with a great deal of strategic nuance, calling on every aspect of pike-and-shot warfare. Both armies are exotic and colorful with a diverse range of troops, and there's a real cinematic glory to the whole thing. By Fire And Sword is a dedicated ruleset for the era, curious players should give it a look.

mediafire.com/download/09mk2fxtj6fma5j/Osprey - CAM 191 - Vienna 1683.pdf
mediafire.com/download/726f528kk8m0935/Osprey - ELI 058 - The Janissaries.pdf
mediafire.com/download/titnik65pjj3mml/Osprey - MAA 140 - Armies Of The Ottoman Turks 1300-1774.pdf
mediafire.com/download/47cpmb1x826t4ji/Osprey - MAA 188 - Polish Armies 1569-1696 (2).pdf
mediafire.com/download/ah2n4ednoxk3rv4/Osprey - WAR 094 - Polish Winged Hussar 1576-1775.pdf
>By Fire And Sword

It is 73 years since the raid on Gran Sasso, called Operation Eiche ("Oak"), which was the rescue of Italian dictator Benito Mussolini by German paratroopers led by Major Otto-Harald Mors and Waffen-SS commandos. The airborne operation was personally ordered by Adolf Hitler, planned by Harald Mors, and approved by General Kurt Student.

On the night between 24 and 25 July 1943, a few weeks after the Allied invasion of Sicily and bombing of Rome, the Italian Grand Council of Fascism voted a motion of no confidence against Mussolini. On the same day, the king replaced him with Marshal Pietro Badoglio and had him arrested. Mussolini was being transported around Italy by his captors, while Otto Skorzeny was tracking him.

Intercepting a coded Italian radio message, Skorzeny used the reconnaissance provided by agents and informants to determine that Mussolini was being imprisoned at Campo Imperatore Hotel, a ski resort at Campo Imperatore in Italy's Gran Sasso massif, high in the Apennine Mountains. Skorzeny's 26 SS troopers joined the team of 82 Fallschirmjäger to rescue Mussolini in a high-risk glider mission. The commandos landed their dozen DFS 230 gliders on the mountain; only one crashed, causing minor injuries. The Fallschirmjäger and Skorzeny's special troopers then overwhelmed Mussolini's captors (200 well-equipped Carabinieri guards) without a single shot being fired; this was also due to the fact that General Fernando Soleti of the Polizia, who flew in with Skorzeny, told them to stand down or be executed for treason. Skorzeny attacked the radio operator and his equipment, then he formally greeted Mussolini with "Duce, the Führer has sent me to set you free!", to which Mussolini replied "I knew that my friend would not forsake me!"

Has anyone gave the new Kings of War Historical Armies a go?

Mussolini was flown from Campo Imperatore to Vienna, where he stayed overnight at the Hotel Imperial and was given a hero's welcome. The operation on the ground at Campo Imperatore was in fact led by First Lieutenant Baron Georg Freiherr von Berlepsch, commanded by Major Otto-Harald Mors and under orders from General Kurt Student, all Fallschirmjäger officers; but Skorzeny stewarded the Italian leader first into Rome and eventually into Berlin, right in front of the cameras. After a pro-SS propaganda coup at the behest of Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler and propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels, Skorzeny and his Special Forces (SS-Sonderverband z. b. V. "Friedenthal") of the Waffen-SS were granted the majority of the credit for the operation. The Friedenthaler of the SS-Reichssicherheitshauptamt were for the Waffen-SS what the Brandenburgers were for the Wehrmacht and Abwehr.

The operation granted a rare late-war public relations opportunity to Hermann Göring. Mussolini was made leader of the Italian Social Republic (a German puppet state consisting of the German-occupied portion of Italy). Otto Skorzeny gained a large amount of success from this mission; he received a promotion to Sturmbannführer, the award of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and fame that led to his "most dangerous man in Europe" image. Winston Churchill himself described the mission as "one of great daring".

This is an exciting and novel operation that could have gone wrong in a hundred different ways- making it perfect for the tabletop. Refer to PDF related for some gaming tips.

mediafire.com/download/p8c4tqj3z6336uo/Osprey - RAID 009 - Gran Sasso 1943.pdf

Reminder that the August-September /hwg/ community project is a 'Command Unit'. The 15th (I think?) is the last day.

There, my Command base is done. Hopefully it can also be useful in the actual game as well.
A french Lieutenant with two riflemen as bodyguard.

What is the next community project?

>What is the next community project?

In the last thread an user was asking about British army medics, and that got me thinking of the next one perhaps being some kind of medical unit - be it a hospital ship, a healer shaman, a combat nurse, a saw-wielding surgeon, or whatever is appropriate for your style.

Roll over on the 16th I think.

Ideas for the next project are welcome. Some from the last thread include 'Civilians', 'Wildlife' and 'that-boring-arse-unit-you-can-normally-never-be-bothered-with'.

With a spare weekend and a few days to go until the end of the project, I picked up a Perry AWI commander model to paint up as the leader of my force in the 7YW. I suck at painting faces, think I need a 'redder' undercoat (and to thin my fucking paints and not to drown it in washes). I am really happy with the red by now though, and the yellow is getting better.

Damn, I just finished my own medic a few days ago.

are they standing in a cloud?

I vote for a terrain project.

Is he standing in desiccated coconut?

Yep. Somebody else already called me out on it, or maybe it was you, but I like how the snow turns out. It's also quite easy to make and apply which is a big plus for me.

That's a real nice mini user, has that "running into fire" feel.

Hi, guys. A local shop is setting up DBA 2.2, not 3.0. Please share a PDF if you have it. Thanks!

>Civilians
Yep, that's what I'm voting for.

Paint a casualty.

In the Ancient/Games folder in the OP

mediafire.com/download/1lfvfani2aevoym/DBA 3.0.pdf

Bitches love desiccated coconut...

I bought a big pack of Woodland Scenics tree armatures and one of fine leaf foliage. There any good online guides for this shit?

wait so its actually desiccated coconut?

Either way I would recommend making a thick paste of flock and PVA, probably 50/50, and applying it - gives a flatter less powdery look, and it will look like their feet are actually sinking in and making marks instead of looking like the snow is being sucked up their legs like some kind of gas. Just a suggestion, I guess you've already done most of your minis like this so it might break consistency, but it gives a much more realistic appearance imo.

Thanks.

How does 3.0 compare to 2.2? My LCS is playing 2.2.

>wait so its actually desiccated coconut?
Nah mate, just that somebody already made that joke.
I use citadel snow mixed with PVA glue 50/50 and then I sprinkle more snow on top when it's on the base. It looks better than anything I've done before so I'm kinda proud, but also realize that I'm not doing it correctly and that it could look better.

Honestly I couldn't say user, I ways always a DBM guy.

NP. Thanks again. I'll read it over and maybe we can play 3.0 instead.

Maybe forgo the extra sprinkles?
Also this is probably personal preference but I always like the side of the bases to be clean, gives a nice border to the miniature as a whole. solid black band around the edge will make the snow pop.

I'm doing a bit of a terrain binge, going to snow flock these tomorrow, will post pics. They look pretty bare now, but the bases will be snow covered, as well as all the upper surfaces.
Trees handmade from wire, hedges cut from a green scouring pad

Me too.

>I always like the side of the bases to be clean
Yeah, me too. It's only very hard not to hit the borders with at least some glue and then when I sprinkle it sticks. But as I said, for me it works.

So I missed the last thread, and this thread says the 12th, but it's still the 11th for me which means I have my own unusual hwg anniversary.

Whilst reorganising some of my old wip picture folders a few days ago I noticed this. This means on the 11th of September 2014 I posted my first miniatures after what had then been 5 years out of miniature wargaming, and they looked like shit in honesty. You were all very supportive though so now I thought I'd get all that I'd painted since then to show you, and myself, just how much I've done in the last 2 years hobby wise. I also finished the 28mm Indians I've been posting here, so it's a good time to post it all together.

Since then I've gone up to;
1436 10mm from the Talavera Project (finished)
927 6mm French and Austrian Napoleonics for Club play (ongoing)
38 28mm Indians (not including the casualty figures, finished in principle.)

Takes up a surprising amount of floor space.

And finally, the finished shots of my FIW Indians. The contrast is making the blackgrey warpaint look like flat black on some of them, but still I'm pretty happy with how they look on balance.

I need to decide on 7 of the grunts to be unit leaders for the M&T rules, so if anyone looks at any and thinks they would make better leaders than the others, and of a good unobtrusive way to mark them out as such I'd love to hear it.

Any other C&C, fire away.

It's been a good 2 years tbf hwg, hope all your projects go well in the next two

Finished an Italian Lt and Radio Operator

looks good, you can be proud

Wew lad.

Looks like I'll not be getting my command unit done.

No ideas as for what to suggest on the next either, as I've got to get on with repairing pikes, magnetising infantry and perhaps building some terrain.

The lighting in that pic is terrific. Very nice morning look to it

Coat armatures with glue, add foliage?

I guessed so, but hey.

Ripped off the general's face and tried again. Not very much better desu...

>next project

Another idea for a future group project would be finish and build the worst model in your stash.

>a model I have no use for in actual gameplay designed for a diorama which I haven't finished because I hate the casting/sculpt
I'll pass

Is there a fivecore for black powder weapon era

I don't think so, but there are a number of black powder skirmish games with a focus on characters, that could re-create the feel:

mediafire.com/download/9o59f6dbrqjuv9j/Donnybrook.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/qlbapdg9qgwwq/Gloire
mediafire.com/download/5l3hst32y45hn72/Long Rifle.pdf
mediafire.com/download/wwyc1bbgx1y6svq/Sharp Practice v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/c7t9igxo2ce8sif/Song of Drums and Shakos.pdf
mediafire.com/download/qb44duyit5ewe1x/Song of Drums and Tomahawks.pdf

Oh lame. None of those rulesets really do what i want. Thanks anyway user

Could maybe try something like Chevauchee. I seem to remember that one of the FiveCore editions had rules for black powder weapons in there somewhere...

A little vignette I made todaty

Alternatively Welsh command squad with scottish advisor

I wish I knew which one

>japanese military organisation is something wargames tend to completely fuck up.
To bring this back from the last thread. If any of you guys have an SA account (yeah, I know, I'm old), lilljonas on there does some good rants about 16th century Japan.

Also he makes some cute 6mm buildings (Mura Miniatures), which is always a good way to make me like you.

lmao lad

> those cavalry spears/lances

bmp

First annual hwg meetup when?

Probably not before the end of the year. If I had plenty of spare cash I wouldn't be on Veeky Forums...

so, fairly new to this historical wargaming thing. My dad and I are looking for rulesets for the American revolution, anyone have any recommendations for something that's fairly quickplay and easy to learn?

what scale of combat?

Not sure what scale you'd call it, but closer to Saratoga or Monmouth, where it's full armies engaging

store.warlordgames.com/collections/american-war-of-independence-1776-1783/products/liberty-or-death-american-war-of-independence-battle-set

we already have miniatures, mostly 1:72 scale that he's collected over the years, we're looking for a game to play with them

Check the OP for the Black Powder books. They are not perfect, but fairly simple and easy enough for beginners.

I Imagine at some point it'll be a F&IW with one of the Hampshire lads.

Related I organise a Salute trip every year with IRL friends. There could be a meet then or people could join etc.

>I Imagine at some point it'll be a F&IW with one of the Hampshire lads.
Not sure there's 2 people in this thread with actually finished armies for F&IW yet.

When is Salute?

That's why I said at some point. I have an amount of Indians (that have been posted) and some Compagnies Franche de la Marine.

It's April time I don't know the 2017 date.

So i've built this Marder 3 over the weekend but the kit itself came with no stowage and the included crew mini was super stiff.

So i added some pieces of equipment. Do you think its enough? Or should i add some more pieces?

How would you pose the soldiers? (they aren't glued in yet due to painting and i also still experiment with a couple of poses to figure out which ones look best)

Salute sounds like a good bet to me.

>I have an amount of Indians (that have been posted) and some Compagnies Franche de la Marine.

I'm ready when you are (Hampshire lad here)

Has anybody picked up a copy of Congo yet?

I'm really disappointed right now, I heard of a ruleset for ACW called Ultra Freedom and that was pretty much the best name I ever heard and I was totally prepared to buy it despite not having anything ACW.

..It turns out I misheard, its called Altar of Freedom.

Anyone had contact with Pegasus 1/72 Russian/Ukrainian houses? Or their cacti?

They're decent models. I've got the large 2 story house and the farm house kit. Plastic seems kinda glossy and doesn't like my normal styrene glue very much. They're fairly large buildings, I think you could reasonably get away with using them in 28mm as well as 20mm

How does /hwg/ feel about Osprey's skirmish series like Ronin and whatnot? Are they compatible with each other? Are they good games in general? Do they allow for Mordheim-ish progression-based campaigning with an events-based narrative, or are they better as single setpiece battles?

Looks good user, I think its the right amount of equip.
crew look fine too, good to have them attentive on the horizon in front.

too BAD

Anyone have a copy of Wargames Soldiers and Strategy #69

Does anyone actually know?

Its Battle Pack Issue 3, but good luck finding anyone here willing to upload it for you

They're not compatible for the most part because they're all by different authors. Osprey is merely publishing them, has nothing to do with the systems themselves other than giving some people an avenue to put out a much higher quality (visually) book than they could otherwise.

In general they are simply OK, many suffer from lack of external playtesting and revision, for some this is not too bad, for others it's renders the game practically unusable without significant effort in houserules (looking at you on the seven seas).
Basically, there's no consistency in terms of how they work, and if they're good or not, outside of presentation.

Why's that?

Hm, I see.

What game is this?

They look like Zvezda stuff.

No, you are just a keener. You might find some other use for those ideas, they might even grow into your own set of rules.

Personally, I found Ganesha's FIW outing pretty shitty. Donnybrook is brilliant, but it's got me thinking about the Great Northern War and maybe the Monmouth Rebellion and scourging some Covenanters.

Samurai Battles, zvezda boxed game thing, I use the command&colours version of the rules with it (comes with 2 systems).

you want mini rules or hex and counter games?

I might playtest both. Im unsure about the small units of donnybrook as opposed to individuals and Ill have to pick up some fancy dice

miniatures.

Finished up most of the snow flocking, might go back and add another layer to branches, and still have 6 more trees to do.

Next mission is to build up 8 BT-7's and 4 BA-6's that just arrived today. They're fast build so shouldn't take too long. 1 page instructions.

Dats a right sexy foldaway bolt action carbine. What is it a variant of. Assuming a vehicle carried pdw?

Filename and appearance would say some variant of the French WWII era MAS36. Nice Bolt Action that didn't get decent appreciation for obvious reasons. Saw plenty of action in the Indochina Conflict though.

I like his face.

historicalfirearms.info/post/45835182762/mas-36cr39-paratrooper-rifle-in-1939-the-french

Shit, I can't have been posting much lately, completely missed this community project bizzo

Yes, but then I put it back down. I was at a store that got early copies of Men Who Would Be Kings and was looking for it, but they'd sold them all. ;_;

Congo looks neat though, I need to go look up some AARs at some point.

Pretty sure that's these babies.

deltavector.blogspot.co.nz/2014/12/pegasus-172-log-cabins-scottish.html

They're on my to-buy list. Sure, they are a bit small for 28mm, but they do look more than close enough.

Are there any guides on Terrain for 28mm and 30 mm historic?

I'm new to Bolt Action and K47 and only have Warmachine and Guild Ball terrain. So it's flat terrain for the most part.

I can build them myself, but depending on the price I wouldn't mind buying it.

P-please

67 is my closest to that number, sorry

Looks nice.

How is the quality of Pegasus? I've read mixed things about them.