How well-written are your female characters?

How well-written are your female characters?

Female characters only there for skeletons to marry and have consensual PIV sex with on their honeymoons.

As well as my male ones.
which means not very well

How do you write a female character well?

Like men except not quite.

That's...that's literally it.

Think of a man. Then take away reason and accountability.

How dare you mention the forbidden gender! REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Same here!

true equality is about hating everyone exactly the same amount

Just write a gay guy but dial down the faggotry a smidge.

For NPCs, they're literally just names and a random personality. Both males and females - I just use slightly different tables.
For PCs, I'm the group autist so I write a 3 page backstory for any of my characters. You could literally swap the genders and it wouldn't matter.

There was a time when I made every BBEG a female.

I still have a nasty female or two around in my campaigns

Am I an muhsoginist?

Why don't you be the judge?

>Johanna Freeman who was Gordon Freeman's sister was on day an office. Typing at the computer.

All my characters are in a tight band around mediocre these days. Had a lot that were below that when I started, and have only had one or two that were significantly above mediocre.

So, my female characters are pretty meh.

Depends on the BBEGs themselves. If they're doing what they think is right, and talk sense, then you're fine. If they are evil spite-filled traitors who only seek to control and conquer, maybe.

Uhhhh

Well, one was the "Flesh Queen of Baton Rouge" and had her hands in anything remotely vice and drug related (Daeva chick with the 'Wrath' Vice. Couldn't stop being cruel).
Would never touch kids though, and would get pissed if kids were involved

The other in the same game was the Carthian Prince. She was okay. Cold as hell. Would've probably killed a kid if she needed to.

Came here to post this.

Broadly speaking:
>Women are more likely to take a step back when confronted with a problem, where men are more likely to charge into a problem head-on
The way I usually see this in real life is along the lines of:
>Hm, I need to unscrew this bolt. I'll go get a wrench.
versus
>Hm, I need to unscrew this bolt. I'll see if I can get it with my fingers.

>Not necessarily more emotional, but more open with emotions
>More talkative in casual conversation, but less imposing about opinions

I'm gonna stop there, since when people make a list of differences between two groups the differences tend to veer towards the extreme as the list goes on.

Oh! And women also tend to give more details when speaking.
>I went to the store today to get eggs.
>I was out of eggs, so I went to the grocery store on Main Street.

Thanks user, I will try to keep that in mind.

>tfw I have unscrewed bolts with my fingers
GET OUT OF MY MIIIIND!

>merge of various personality aspects and behavior patters of three real women
terribly

>Picture unrelated

Jolyne is just female Joseph with a little bit of Jotaro if you think about it.

Which makes her a terribly written character.

>Joseph
I don't think she's a qualified rusewoman

Pretty good, I mean women exist as pleasure toys for men, right?

Written like the only kind I can write, a lesbian.
Whose lover dies in an ambush, which is the straw that breaks the camel's back and she goes full trauma/PTSD. Except she has also a conduit for a powerful divine being which is using her to end a tyrant's conquest. So she's basically 95% angst and 5% Jeanne d'Arc

>female characters
what did he mean by this?

bingo

Jack never lies

I like to think mine are written pretty well. In the book I'm currently working on

>Naval academy teacher/theorist who finds herself called to personally tutor the princess in war and commanding a ship, compressing decades worth of learning into months.

>The princess in question, who struggles to live up to her mother's legacy as a great Queen, until her mother dies of tuberculosis and she has to remember that legacy of a strong queen who saved her nation rather than a frail woman dying in her bed

>Commoner from the country who becomes an officer in the not!marines, serves as our ground level point of view for book 1. After book 1, she has to struggle with her nation's ever-increasing demands on her abilities while also dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder from the book 1 finale.

>Cute staff officer who designs wargames for officer's training tools, finds herself called to become a leader of men and women rather than just a teacher.

The overall theme of the book is discussing the sacrifices both people and nations have to accept for victory in war; all these people lose something precious about themselves, and the country itself loses something of its essence, sacrificing its principles for victory.

Srsly fa/tg/uys why the fuss about women it's not like they are some alien species, they are just as normal/weird as guys (give or take some preconceptions of social conformity)

NGL it into some weird stuff

I prefer to write female characters. Probably because I'm a raging lesbian.

why can't you be a chill lesbian?

W-what?

Too many fa/tg/uys told her to calm her tits.

Generally not very. Neither are my male characters. Most of the time, my players don't appreciate that sort of thing, so I just leave them as stat blocks and 1-3 personality points.

If I stop being angry, I die. I must keep the rage inside me going, whatever the cost.

Hey mate I have the perfect thing for you to get angry about, beautifully summarised into 1 word: politics!

Don't tell me what to get pissed about, you fucking shithead. Fuck you.

Nah, I'm pretty chill IRL.

Not very. The last one I invented was a beautiful Mexican woman tortured, raped, and abused by a corrupt doctor in her hometown after the death of her husband, who ultimately vivisected him and received the Embrace into Clan Tzimisce. That was over a century and a half ago; now she's a three-headed six-armed murderhag diablerie-machine. Hopefully she gives the players a good time.

Make her cute

Does this mean your females are just male characters with female names/bodies? Or is this just a HL:FLC reference?

Like how a shark has to keep moving or it suffocates?

This is often sound advice, but I can't help but think there's a little more to it.

Consider instead how you might instruct a female roleplayer to better impersonate a man. I find they are often subtly inadequate in a variety of ways.

In particular, they don't seem to have the same sort of ego games with the other men at the table. They don't go out of their way to prove themselves the baddest dude. They also aren't as sex driven, which is probably related to the aforementioned ego game. One I think (though I might be mistaken) is starting to erode with internet culture.

Still, particularly in a medieval setting, women often don't seem willing to fight people out of pride or honor. If you insult their character- they often just sort of ignore you as an asshat rather than engage the troll. Suffice it to say they're more likely to practice disdain. But perhaps I'm inflecting my own biases.

>They also aren't as sex driven
>starting to erode with internet culture
It's never really been the case. They're just less likely to talk about sex in front of men, so there's sort of a sampling bias.

It is true that there's not the typical "stare at every ass" effect, but that's just a result of the quality-over-quantity mindset. (Which I feel compelled to note is more of a tendency, not an absolute. It's just that instead of getting excited about swimsuit season because "[many] girls in bikinis!" it's more like getting excited about swimsuit season because "hot lifeguards in swimsuits!" if that makes sense.}

Actually, I meant that men's ego/sexuality is eroding. Sex isn't the grand achievement it was in the 90's. More and more men are willing to just say "eh, yeah I'm actually really not all that into sex". I suppose its also true more women are becoming openly sex-positive.

Note these observations are only about American/Western culture I guess. I hear on the Chinese internet all the perverts are women, who discuss at length debauchery that would make /b/ blush, whilst men are either silent or scarce in such discussions.

Regardless, its hard to deny there's a certain sexual dominance factor that women simply do not have, for whatever reason. There's no thriving market for male sex slaves sold to eccentric female playgirls. I'm not referring here to BDSM. I mean genuine human trafficking.

And while its not impossible for a woman to molest a child, it is vanishingly rare. Indeed women are less likely to commit violent crimes by a considerable margin. That they are also more likely to avoid suspicion does not really explain this gap.

They are characters first and female second, so pretty well I imagine.

precisely

Very badly. Even when I literally copy girls I know people say they are unrealistic.

>Actually, I meant that men's ego/sexuality is eroding.
I see. Well, my typical go-to source on culture in the past is the collection of Mad magazines from the 50s, 60s, and 70s my uncle gave me. I can recall one or two instances of male characters in some comics saying they weren't super interested in sex, if that impacts your perceptions at all. What might also be happening is just that "I like sex" tends to be said louder and more often than "Eh, it's okay", but the internet lets people who wouldn't be as talkative about those sorts of preferences have a forum.

>I hear on the Chinese internet all the perverts are women, who discuss at length debauchery that would make /b/ blush
That sounds interesting. Was it, like, an article or something you read? Or just a thing you heard from someone? I'd be interested in learning more about that.

Unless I am mistaken, I am fairly certain that a bizarre proportion of violent crimes against children are committed by women, comparable to the portion of violent crimes committed by men against other men.

That's a minor quibble, though. The trends you outlined to seem to, very generally, exist. I do agree that how we (or at the very least, I) roleplay characters is almost always colored by how we treat all the miscellaneous qualities we assign genders, even unconsciously, and that there is often some 'thing' missing in how a woman plays a man or vice versa. It's something I've been working on, since I seem to put an excess of female characters in NPC rosters - 70/30 Female v. Male, as opposed to something more even - but it's difficult to pin down.

I wonder if it has to do with the askew ratio of men to women in China from the One-Child Policy, or if that's unrelated.

Here's what Wikipedia had to say:
>Of children under age 5 killed by a parent, the rate for biological father conviction was slightly higher than for biological mothers.[48]
>However, of children under 5 killed by someone other than their parent, 80% of the people that were convicted were males.

It's not all violent crime targeting children, but it's what I could find.

Interesting possibility.

>Or just a thing you heard from someone?
My wife demonstrated by reading some of it. I can't really provide you with a scholarly source anymore than I can provide you with a scholarly source that /v/ is full of assholes. You basically just need to lurk the Chinese interwebs. Which is difficult because even if you know chinese, they have a multi-billion dollar censorship budget that results in an intricate culture of ever changing euphemisms on par with cockney rhyming slang.
For instance, we can't have "chrysanthemum tea" in the house because apparently that means "rim job" in Chinese now.

Any choice quotes you remember, then?

Please note that in regions with less advanced medicine (such as rural China) infant deaths within first couple weeks of life are automatically considered "natural" and are never investigated as a possible crime (unless the body is obviously maimed or something).

One moment. I've enlisted her assistance and she'll post one momentarily. In the meantime, she notes that this is apparently the sort of thing women talk to each other about already in person in China, and the discussions are simply very frank, rather "perverted".

They have one phrase, "bedroom secret friends" that always makes me giggle, but basically means an extremely close girl friend than you would tell secrets to each-other about. But I guess with online anonymity they're suddenly free to discuss their bedroom secrets with everyone.

I can believe it. I know what kind of butt plug my best friend uses and vice-versa.

Please, Hinako is Chaotic Stupid. Or just insane. I think insane people get something similar to unaligned, minus the unassuming manners. That thing with the pushbike off the goddamn roller-coaster proves that I think.

My latest turned out pretty good. I'm really happy with how her individual story and character growth has occurred, as well as her relationships with select party members and NPCs.

I'm worried, though, that she gets more attention from the GM than the other player's characters, by sheer virtue of me putting in more effort into her creation, resulting in less narrative room for the other PC's to grow their own characters.

Would this be at all related to the "herbivore men" thing apparently going through the asias?

Not the most fantastic example, just something I pulled up in 10 minutes of browsing.

But yeah, women talk about all kinds of sexual stuff. My friend basically taught me all the oral techniques I know.

I recognize "big", "small", "tree", "life", and I wanna say "coin" from my semester of Japanese.

Beyond that I'm gonna need some help.

A rough translation:

>A: "What's the point of big butts? They're just a waste of fabric."
>B: "Fecundity. Also spanking gets him to cum."
>B: "And its not a waste of fabric. You just squeeze into small pants and then when you're horny you just rip them down the middle."
>A: "Ah, the key point is revealed."
>A: "Do you have a target for your lust?"

Also, you can post voice on Chinese forums, so the conversation is definitely among females. Also its on what is generally known as an all female board anyway.

Here's another one. The conversation goes:

A: "OP, go fuck him. Fuck him until he moves."
B: "Well, I went and twerked all over the place."
A: "I said fuck him, not act like a dripping wet slut."
B: "You're mean. I thought they meant the same thing."

Wait, no, it's "times", not "coin".

I wouldn't say they'd make /b/ blush, but they're fun to read just the same.

Yeah, they're not as debauched as my husband makes it sounds. People don't go out of their way to be shocking. They're just normal girls having fun and being very frank.

Note that the premise of the thread I've been screen capping is basically "I'm bored. Talk to me." And the talk almost immediately goes to the sexual. In fact, someone points this out later down the thread, and the OP replies, "Well, not like we can keep this going just talking about brushing teeth or something."

I write a character, flip a coin, and then that character gets to be that gender. Not even lying. How we got the corrupt lieutenant of the city guard to be female.

I do it for most supporting characters unless their gender is somehow relevant to their character like a princess, king, or duke.

Thanks for the screencaps missus user.

Is that Todd Howard?

>"Well, not like we can keep this going just talking about brushing teeth or something."
I am immediately reminded of this.

Yeah from back in the day when he visited the Resident Evil mansion dressed as a teletubbie

I've been seeing variations of that joke since I was on Gaia, so at least 10 years ago.

jolyne a shit
miu miu a best

>the most forgettable girl in part 6
>best

>lawful qt
>not best

In all seriousness though, she was actually one of my favorite enemy stand users, just because of how unique her power is. I just wanted to make a joke about her stand power.

blimp

Shark lesbians are real. Be afraid.

>>hyper masculinity is a limiting narrative
>implying

as well written as my male characters but without a penis usually

I've always considered women to be human beings. After you reach that point they aren't very difficult to write.

>plan to play character in a hammy way
>lose courage
>play it safe
So I'm mostly boring

A woman will buy a two dollar item for one dollar because it's on sale right now.

A man will buy a one dollar item for two dollars because he wants it right now.

when it comes to female characters, i pretty much write them like i would a male character of a similar background.

there is no place for "female unreasonability" when playing something like a paladin or rogue.
but i play them out with a lot more empathy for the people around them, which is the reason why my last character absolutely refused to use fire or boiling oil against humanoids , or objected to outright kill henchmen after smacking them unconcious and breaking their legs

>A woman will buy a two dollar item for one dollar because it's on sale right now.

So will a man, if the item is a Steam game.

You'd practically be losing money if you DIDN'T buy it!!!

Hey XS.

They're better written than reality's women, though that's not an impressive feat by any means.

Pretty well

Tho a lot of my games tend to be sausage fests since I like to voice-act my characters.

Actually, it's the opposite. If I get angry my lungs seize up.

Now, hate, hate is another matter entirely.

I've always hated this meme from /a/, though people from /a/ also seem to be experts on the "I don't give a fuck"/"Counter-troll" yomi so it's impossible to have a conversation about it.

It's like that thing where people keep on saying a thing over and over because they are "joking" or "ironic" but don't realize that its the only thing that they say on the topic.

No, she's Lawful Neutral, AND insane.

Remember, her eye-for-an-eye injury inflicting? She must balance the scales and always know the roads everywhere. Nothing else matters beyond that.

#NotAnArgument

wut

He's playing the "imma mysoginust" card for (You)s very poorly.

oh

not that poorly

Depends, is it still a female if it's an AI with no biological components who merely identifies as female?