Party drank water blessed by the Raven Queen

What happens?

>playing 4e
Play a better game.

Report shit like this while we have a moderator with a functioning spine.

If any of them had artificially extended their lives it would likely act as poison. If they hadn't, likely a small bonus to Fortitude saves as it acknowledged their rightful life, with a bonus if they put down undead and other entities who defy the natural order.

Also fuck this guy

Who?

It isn't 4E though.

Generic DnD world's goddess of death

I did something like this, yeah. It protected them from a vampire's bite. However, I was thinking about building some interesting complications on top of this later.

A resistance to resurrection, maybe? Although The Raven Queen isn't absolute in that respect. She's allowed people to come back for the greater good before, to put down the dead and so on.

I'm in a Dungeons the Dragoning game at the moment where the GM has done fun things with The Raven Queen, adding in lots of elements from The Old Kingdom series like the Abhorsen.

4e retconned her in as Nerull's consort, who killed him and took all his power.

It's OK, Greyhawk fans have gotten used to people shitting on the setting ever since Die Vecna Die!.

Has there even really been much Greyhawk support more recently than the vague assumption most 3.5 stuff was probably in Greyhawk?

Either way the Raven Queen is just terrible.

4e had some remakes of classic Greyhawk modules (C1, S1, T1, and G1-3), and 3.X had a bunch of modules and the Living Greyhawk thing,

Honestly, the best thing to happen to Greyhawk since 2000 was the explanation of the Grehawk Wars stuff as being the work of Bilarro, not Robilar. One of the few post-2e lore things I actually back-port into my 2e games.

I actually really like the idea of a Neutral Death Goddess. One who preserved the natural order rather than indulging in the evils of undeath. It's a neat concept.

They get teleported to Baltimore and win a Super Bowl.

Pretty much what said imho. I like my death gods to be non-evil, possibly even good.

It would have been better if they'd kept Nerull as well, get some of that inter-deity conflict going on.

It's holy water. Sure, it was blessed by a death god, but it's still just water, only now with a god's seal of approval

Boil it then drink it. Some priest has probably washed his hands in it, and I don't want second hand underage in my mouth

Your head explodes, you get 245 damages AND an instant death with a save. You can get resurrected, annulling the insta-death, but then you immediately re-die of overdamages, and you can't heal, and if you retry again the Raven Queen attacks the party, riding on 2d12 Great Wyrms of assorted colours for daring to raise the dead.
If you do not drink the blessed water, the Raven Queen takes it as a personnal insult and cast a curse on your lineage and heritage, instantly killing the whole group, their entire family, your next 3d24 characters and their family.

This is good DMing.

gain Resistance 10 Necrotic for 1d6 days OR if poured over a recently dead body prevents it from ever rising as a undead.

Chu Chulain all over again

In 1d6 hours the party has to piss

their thirst is quenched

also i guess if they're undead or something bad stuff happens.

Your pee deals damage to the undead

The Raven Queen is much better as a death deity than Nerull or Kelemvor. I do prefer Wee Jas but she occupies a different niche.

More stylish, too.

>implying a death god is ever actually dead
Nerull's shade is probably still around, and that could be a campaign.

They become hydrated

What game/edition is it?

Congratulations, you just drank bird piss!

5e DnD

Alright, then I'd give them resistance to necrotic damage and advantage on death saving throws until they next stabilize from death.

Also, they start to have visions when they sleep. The visions are of people nearby them that need put to rest. They don't have the visions if there isn't anyone nearby like that. That could be a wandering zombie, a necromancer in his secret tower - or just an old woman dying who needs care in the last 2 or 3 days of her life, or a boy who died alone in the woods and needs a proper burial.

If they go to the vision and lay the person to rest, they get some kind of minor boon (you can decide - it could just be an item left there or nearby by the Raven Queen). If they ignore it then they stop receiving visions, they earn the Raven Queen's disfavour and they have disadvantage on death saving throws until the disfavour is removed.

They start to see dead people!

When you think about it the death god should be True Neutral. It doesn't get any more fair than dying, since eventually everyone will face it be they rich or poor, good or evil, wise or foolish. If there's one thing that you can be certain of it is that death doesn't discriminate.

>Raven Queen
That sounds like something an obese goth chick who lives in a basement full of posters of death metal bands with dudes who wear make up would call herself. I'm not exactly intimidated. Though this one time I did see a fat goth and for the life of me I couldn't tell whether it was a dude or a chick. That was pretty intimidating I guess...

>> open thread to make bad joke
>> beaten to the punch
>> respect knuckles

Amusingly, in the Dungeons the Dragoning game mentioned above, the Temple of the Raven Queen in Sigil is noted to often be mistaken for one of the local goth clubs. Although one of the Angels who guards it (affectionately dubbed 'Gothypants' by the PCs) will fly into a blind rage of righteous wrath if anyone mistakes their style for emo.

She is named that since she really likes ravens, has raven wings, tends to include raven feathers on her dress, and uses ravens as communication devices.

She is also the god of death and death is associated with ravens and crows as psychopomps who usher the soul to the afterlife.

She is also pretty much an expy of the Morrigan, the celtic goddess of death, battle, strife, and sovereignty, who is also known by such monikers as the Raven Queen, among others.

And you're not meant to be intimidated, she appears rather nice looking as to ease your passing into the next life.

>She is named that since she really likes ravens, has raven wings, tends to include raven feathers on her dress, and uses ravens as communication devices.
Yeah, and goth chicks tend to really like ravens because they're edgy animals associated with Norse paganism.

>And you're not meant to be intimidated, she appears rather nice looking as to ease your passing into the next life.
Well, then allow me to say that laughing in the face of death has never been this easy.

Yes, and then she waves her hand and you fall dead. You go to join the rest of the souls getting judged and sent to their various afterlives. Congratulations for laughing in the face of a God.

>implying gods are limited to one form
I'm sure she's more than able to turn into a giant Nito-expy and just beat the shit out of people with a sword made of magical god-bones and toxin.

Like, you're using the word edgy here but TRQ is pretty much the non-edgy D&D death goddess, and your complaints are naking you sound like an edgy fuck.

IMO there's nothing wrong with her as a goddess. She's sitting in that Morrigan/Odin/Valkyrie spot. Impartial, wise, death is a necessary end rather than an evil. She's like Morr in WFRP.

Do you dislike it purely because of the name? Or because it's from 4e? I think like TRQ, Erathis, maybe a few other divinities - totally fine inventions from 4e.

Caw. Caw caw caw cacaw caw. Caw caw.

Caw!

did anybody else see a knight's helm before they saw the word raven?

Ravens aren't particularly edgy apart from the colour scheme. They're just really clever scavengers.

I'd say that what you're describing is lawful rather than neutral. I mean, look at it like Death from the Discworld. He clearly started out as Lawful Neutral; he came for everyone, but it was clearly just a job to him. He had little compassion and stuff like that. Throughout the books, though, he became kinder; gained empathy for his flock, and thus became Lawful Good.

Not if my Contingent True Resurrection has anything to say about that.

In a Dungeons the Dragoning campaign my friend is running, I play a chosen of the Raven Queen. But I can't figure out what my tell should be.

Suggestions?

You're a dick who refuses to ever resurrect anyone and constantly blast dirges at all hours of the night.

Also, what race? You should try the Goblin from the Big Book of Brew because I designed it...

Oh right, should have specified. I'm an elf.

Fag, should have played a dorf

As the God of death, she can simply make it not work, as all resurrection spells denote in their rules, or that upon resurrection you simply die again before you can recast your contingency spell again. You don't fuck with a god of death when you're a mortal.