When you ask your child what they want to be when they grow up, they cheerfully answer "I want to be a game designer...

When you ask your child what they want to be when they grow up, they cheerfully answer "I want to be a game designer, because I want people to have fun and be happy!"

Do you encourage or crush their dream?

Other urls found in this thread:

c2.com/cgi/wiki?FizzBuzzTest
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'd be overjoyed, but I'd make sure they have a plan B. Going for your dream job isn't a bad thing, making it your only option is.

I'd support their ideas, getting them the experience and resources necessary to give it a go, but still making sure they got a solid education to back it up and had a few boring/realistic job ideas they could fall back on in the worst case scenario.

The world needs more game designers who care about people having fun and being happy, rather than the surfeit of game designers who just completely fucking full of themselves and want to show everyone how totally brilliant they are.

Help them design a game. Kids don't always know what they're really interestsd in, but if they say they want to do something, it's a lot easier to get them to sit down and work on a project for a few hours/days.

They might realize a talent for programming, or art, or sculpting, or any number of somewhat-related things. Or they might really want to design more games. Even if it never becomes a career, it's a great hobby to have. There's no dreams to be crushed, just temper the expectations from "I want to make Halo 6, but master chief can ride space dragons and the world is like Minecraft" into "I want to make a Mario level that my siblings can play".

Oh, there's no need to crush their dreams.
The world will do that without my help.

Literally every reply in the thread is thoughtful and correct.
And here, I just wanted to use my seldom used image.

>Girl
Sure, princess. I'll help you however you like.
>Boy
You can do whatever you want on your weekends and when you are done with collage but you are getting a masters in business administration from a good school just like me.

No bullshit, junior VP is the fucking life. You can chase money until you've got enough to build a fort out of or fuck off and coast forever while some ambitious skirt that thinks if she works hard enough and does your work for you she will take your job someday.

First thing is that the kid is going to learn some basic programming. Partly because programming is a good backup plan, partly because the habit of spelling out every single instruction is good to have when designing games. Nobody likes it when the rulebook is ambiguous in a scenario that just happened on the board.

Then we are starting a collection of board games. The understanding of how game mechanics interact will help with game design, video game or otherwise.

I thoroughly crush it, because it's like wanting to make video games. Shit's impossible.

Be a lawyer or something, that's the ticket.

Except that doesn't fly because it needs make big money. People don't need to be happy they just need to buy the product.

Have you seen the latest batch of game designers?

>Partly because programming is a good backup plan, partly because the habit of spelling out every single instruction is good to have when designing games. Nobody likes it when the rulebook is ambiguous in a scenario that just happened on the board.

A common complaint is rulebooks that are too dense and too rule-heavy, rather than too rules light.

If anything, I'd encourage the kid to learn how to write and be imaginative, because even if they can't get a job out of it, at least they'll be an interesting person.

What's the point of having kids if I can't tell them they can do anything they want to, then wait for the real world to crush their unrealistic dreams? Then I can rant about how gen-z is lazy and needs to be purged with fire because they're unemployed.

>I thoroughly crush it, because it's like wanting to make video games. Shit's impossible.

I remember always wanting to make video games. Ever since I was 5 years old. Had notebooks of design notes, scoured player's guides for ideas, and was so serious about the whole thing that it was always my first answer whenever someone asked me what I wanted to be.

Then I went to comicon, sat in for a Gears of War panel, and had the directors explain how fucking awful it was to work in the game industry. The only people anyone wanted were programmers and CG technicians, since the only writers and artists they wanted would be established ones from outside the industry.

It was basically "Want to make video games? Don't make video games."

I realize that the hallucinations are finally starting to get personal and immediately call both my psychiatrist and psychologist for needed mental help. Then I down as much alcohol as needed to get it to stop and repeat the action until I get new pills that make things seem more normal.

>Because I want people to have fun and be happy!

That right there. That right there is why you don't have the fucking RIGHT to crush this child's dream. Because they want to make people happy, and you should NEVER discourage an attempt to make people happy.

Could be worse.

Why do you hate your daughter?

the /pol/ user snuck out of his cage again

Is that the part where he gets told that his brain got hacked or something and that everything he remembers is a lie? I really need to watch that again, I haven't seen it since I was young.

The rules don't have to fill 30 books
But they should be clear
They should be concise
And the shouldn't contradict themselves

A rulebook where you have to point out every exception is longer than a book with clear and concise rules
I'm looking at you CGL

I better start starving them now so they know what their kids will go through when they don't have a real job.

the obligatory "I live in a fantasy world" post

I would encourage the child to study skills that are required for good game design, but also transferable to other areas if the game design does not work out:
Technical Writing
Editing
Math/Logic
Computer Science
Psychology

I would NOT teach my child to split their time and energy between pursuing their dream and trudging through some unrelated 'Plan B'. I mean, if your child wants to be an artist, don't force them to relegate their art education to a minor while working on a business major just "so they can have a backup plan!" What happens is that the plan A and plan B detract from one another and force the poor kid to spread themselves to thin; this makes it likely that both the plan A and the plan B will fail.

If you're going to have a plan B, what you want is a plan B that's related to your plan A to the extent of having transferable skill sets. That way, working towards one plan also gives you progress towards the other plan.
I had a buddy in college that majored in art with a focus on sculpture and metalworking. He has since gone on to make a very successful art career for himself. The trick is that he also worked towards a welding apprenticeship during the summers. His welding helped him practice skills applicable towards sculpture and his sculpture helped him practice skills applicable towards welding. He freelances at both as it suits him, and makes a lot more money than most of the business majors I know.

also
>rather than too rules light.
I'd argue that many rules light systems are written like a programmer would
A good programmer is someone that can find the simplest approach to a problem
Look at all the Fizz-Buzz programs: c2.com/cgi/wiki?FizzBuzzTest
A bad Fizz-Buzz can be dozens of columns long
a good one just a few

It's harder to write a comprehensive rules lite system that does not depend on "Just improvise" than a similar rules heavy system

I say that's great and that there is actually a game we could play and improve together right now!

I call it "Cave Explorer"

kill them

It's the part where he's explaining that he was illegally net tapping so he could get some money to try to win custody of his daughter from his ex-wife, and they explain to him that he's never had a daughter, never had a wife, and has been living alone by himself for years.

He's holding a picture he had been showing his co-worker, and he had thought it was a picture of his smiling daughter, but it's just a picture of him and his dog.

And he just holds onto that photo, saying "...But she was right here. Right here."

"...Smiling like an angel."

actually maybe this is a bad idea.

id encourage them to do it, but also to study the real world in some way. It's important to know more than just your job so you can bring something extra to your job.

Holy fuck, that was worse than I thought.

If you think that you can't even TRY at being a game designer, get the fuck outta my face. Indie gaming is a burgeoning market, which while being a free for all crapshoot is much more worthwhile than being a depressed sad sack in a horrible job.

You don't have to be a big name to carve your own niche. Teach them how to program, how to draw, how to compose music, and how to design. Even if they don't get in, they'll be better people.

Is this good, or bad? I can't even tell.

user no

It's one of those scenes that didn't really register the first time I watched it, because I was more about cyborgs and tits and beetle tanks, but rewatching it a few years later and it becomes one of those scenes that hits me hard.

Would it be an evil act to abduct and abuse loli-Cestree?
She is a demon, so aren't all hostile actions against such creatures implicitly good?

What's this map supposed to represent? Colored what the color of the nation's blood is? Colored based in the color of the milk after processed with that particular color of food color? Colored based on the amount of people that spit in buckets?

I encourage them to do so, but don't expect them to make money doing it.

Maybe as a hobby, side project.

And when he asks if he'll ever get his memories back they drop the bomb that brain hacking is more often then not irreversible. So imagine having to live the rest of your life with memories that feel so real but you know for a fact they aren't

>Java

>aren't all hostile actions against such creatures implicitly good?

Realistically speaking - I tell the child that if their goal in life is making people happy, they might as well become prostitute.
Then immediately regret it because
a) I realize child doesn't know how sarcasm works.
b) I just taught them a new word they should not be using in public.

If demons are creatures of elemental evil, why wouldn't it?
Are you just being defensive of your horned magical realm waifu?

I'm talking code quality, not language quality you cheeky wanker

Why make second variable (num) when you can use the one you already have (loops) ?

Fuck. Good point. I actually made nums at the start, and just improvised from there after getting to the loop and thinking I couldn't use an existing variable.

for (int i = 1; i

That is a very good system, but sadly I never learned how to do it like that. I'll have to explore Java further than my high school class taught me.

Thank you.

On more serious note - while ternary operators can be nested pretty much indefinitely it's usually bad idea. The goal in not writing code as short as possible but writing code that will be easily understood by another person when they look at it.

The problem with Java is (/g/ memes aside) that it's sort of half-bred between low and high level language.
In some areas it lets you do lot of shortcuts without really looking into how things work underneath but at the same time forces you to take care of every little detail in the other areas.

This thread reminds me of those coding for babies and little kids books, which I'm convinced are a gag gift.

Seems like every korean woman i hear of is called Nguyen. srls its weird.

Apparently, some Korean men too.

It's a common Vietnamese name.

Korean last names are monosyllabic. Like Kim, Lee, or Park.

Racist.