Warcraft Lore and RPG Discussion

Novels Were A Mistake edition

Discuss the viability of the Warcraft setting, story, and lore, for a tabletop game.

Previous thread:

Blizzard trying to make the vrykul and titan watchers be vikings and the Norse pantheon feels really weird with the rest of the Titan lore, especially Helya getting sent to the Shadowlands instead of being an actual god of it

Personally i'm a bit miffed by the fact that Tyr did not make any appearances despite seemingly being the last sane watcher left to combat the Legion and befriend the mortal race, but nah he had to die in the chronicles.

>last great dragon
>RIP Ysera

NIGTHMARED.com when

be happy she is free of blizzard.

fuck you! she was mai waifu!

You twits, she's still alive in the Emerald Dream. She helps you fight Xavius in the raid.

Of course she lives in my dreams. Forever.

What the hell is with Blizzard's weird policy when it comes to this stuff?

>This entity is immortal unless you go to the realm it originally came from and kill it there! That's the only way to kill it for good!

This applies to elementals, it applies to xel'naga, it applies to demons, you could argue that it applies to greater and lesser evils too, because they're not 'truly dead' until the soulstone they are in is destroyed. Now it seems to apply to creatures of the Emerald Dream as well. I wouldn't be shocked if it turns out that all of the Old Gods we've killed have just retreated back to the Void and we'll need to fight them in another expansion.

>You twits, she's still alive in the Emerald Dream. She helps you fight Xavius in the raid.
now this is some bullshit.
Everyone lives.
except based arthas.

>Elementals
Elementals were flat out immortal before the Titans came along. The Watchers had so much trouble with them that they bound them to planes that weakened their mortality.

>Xel'naga
We never see one outside of 'The Void', all we do is shoot Amon's spirit back into his body. Violently.

>Demons
To kill them by basic means (Sword n Board, stabbing) you need to kill them in the Twisting Nether, but overloading them with a huge amount of Arcane or Fel magic also seems to have this effect. It's just that the player Warlocks and Mages haven't reached that point. Pretty sure Aegwynn was the last one who could do it.

>Evils
Only the Big Name evils can ressurect, and it takes a fuck load to get out of Hell afterwards. The Soulstone is meant to keep them from going back to Hell. As it stands, Diablo and the other evils now roam Hell again.

>Old Gods
The only dead one is Y'Shaarj. We mereld subdued the other two back to where they could be contained and put to sleep. Yogg is slowly slipping out again.

(Me)
Fuck, forgot about Duran. The Starcraft 2 Epilogue can suck a dick. Still, it's basically like they're Elementals.

(Me. Again)
Also of note: Wild Gods function the same way because they came from the Emerald Dream. Goldrinn died during the WotA, came back in Cata. Cenarius died in WC3, came back in Cata. Ysera is basically a Wild God at this point.

It's a trope from d&d and 40k. And a lot Blizzard's stuff is lifted from there.

>>This entity is immortal unless you go to the realm it originally came from and kill it there! That's the only way to kill it for good!
isn't that Extra-Dimensional Beings 101?

the thing is, in 40k, when someone died, they stayed dead.
unless they were chaos.

>Everyone lives.
>except based arthas.
Considering how the universe functions, no one is truly dead until their soul is completely destroyed

Frost DKs can apparently find Arthas' spirit around the Broken Isles since they're wielding effectively two Frostmournes. Admittedly this is probably also because Death Knights are dead too.

>Unless they were Chaos.

Firstly: Living Saints, you Heretic.

Secondly: That's kind of the point they were making.

I'm aware there's an explanation for all of it.

The issue is that it's poor storytelling that allows them to recycle villains at least once, the more that they use these rules. They even invented the whole Warlords of Draenor storyline for the purpose of recycling those characters.

It feels cheap and makes the act of slaying any of these immortal elemental creatures feel useless and redundant.

Cenarius's spirit also went to the Emerald Dream after he got killed (he reincarnated in Cataclysm, but there were some quests in vanilla already that confirmed that his spirt was still around in the Dream). Cenarius, Ysera, and the Wild Gods are so hevaily connected to the Emerald Dream that the Dream basically acts as their afterlife. They die in the real world and their soul ends up in the Dream.

Dammit, I didn't come here for a sad boner.

>cheap storytelling
I don't think so. It gives us definitive gods and powers in the cosmos and makes sense when tied with the primal forces of Warcraft's cosmology.

user, you are aware that Corpse Runs are considered light canon, right? The Spirit Healers know when we're supposed to die, and until that point they effectively keep us from passing. It also shoves the 'Where does this thing go when it dies?' question down a bit. They even answered that by saying everything that dies goes to the Light (Good guys), the Void(Bad Guys), or the Shadowlands(Death Knights).

Yeah it's dumb but it's not nearly as bad as just leaving it without a proper reason. Just means you have to kill them harder in their own house.

Except now she has the boost of also being a DH.

No. Nonononono. Please don't tell me they made Maiev a DH. Metzen just left, they couldn't have fucked up this badly already.

Actually, Chronicles 1 states that EVERYONE goes to the Shadowlands when they die. UNLESS their soul is claimed by another force.

It was just a hypothetical discussion about Maiev as a DH and how many boners it would give me. Read the end of last thread.

Huh, thought it said the Shadowlands were basically there for people who were expressly forbidden from being claimed, and the Void just took everything it could.

Need to read through the Chronicle again...

Even Blizzard's not that terrible at writing.

>I must hunt the demons
>no Maiev, you are the demons
>then Maiev was a Illidan

Pretty sure I found your post. Maiev has already been confirmed to have killed more demons personally than most of the Demon Hunters. In the Illidan book she closes the demonic portals in front of the Black Temple by literally clogging them with mountains of demon bodies as the Sha'tar watch in awe and Akam and Co. sneak in.

Maiev doesn't give a fuck about your demon powers.

>My prey is now infinite
>Once every demon lies dead at my feet, I'm coming for you, Illidari
>I'm coming for Illidan
-Maiev Demonsong, rogue DH

>I'm coming for you, Illidari
>I'm coming for Illidan

>living saints
literally a meme.
Give me an artillery battery over some magic mumbo jumbo.

There is only one god of war, and it is artillery.

>WE WILL TEAR DOWN THE WALLS OF BLACK TEMPLE
>WE COME FOR YOU, ILLIDAN!

>Living Saints
>Paragons of Humanity
>Literally the best a human can be in almost every way
>Granted immortality to protect and bolster the Imperium against its foes
>Individuals so naturally pure that their mere presence burns away corruption
>A Meme

Report to the nearest Comissar, you filthy disgusting Heretic.

Give her a sad fap. She'll make your dreams emerald.

Maiev is pretty much an unstoppable juggernaut when she's got sight of her objective (ie. Illidan). One way or another, anything that gets in her way will regret it. Pretty sure if Illidan had died before she got to him, she'd have personally jumped into the Nether and wrestled his soul back from the Legion's grasp just so she could stick it in his body and kill him herself.

The gal's obsessed enough that most yanderes would tell her to take it easier.

too soon, too soon

I already fapped to her five minutes ago

Good, good.

Cum for the Lady of Dreams.

>the Light will aaaaaah! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!
I'm slightly confused as to what his meaning was here

he came

>Artillery
>Literally the bread and butter of the imperial guard
>the tip of the warhammer that is the imperial guard that breaks the foe.
>literally the weapon that has ground countless foes of the imperium into fine dust
>Granted immortality by their constant usage since the earliest days on holy terra.
>a weapon system so pure that wars are won and based on the side that has greater numbers.
>not a meme.

Report to the lord general, you disgusting scholam discharge.

>Relying on long range, inconsistent bombardment
>Using weaponry that just might put a dent in a Chaos Space Marine's Armor
>Cowardly accepting any mistakes and collateral damage while your allies die on the front line
>Not facing the enemies of the Imperium with courage and honor, knowing that should you fall, the God-Emperor shall be there to catch you

I do hope your Lord General is happy knowing you're nothing short of cowardly scum.

>charge like le manly retard with entrenching tools instead
>use unreliable plasma weaponry that backfires when you need it to.
>not training units how to call in artillery strikes and make coordinated pushes to work as a team
>implying courage and honor matters when your enemy is a big steaming crater.

Back to the repentia with you harlot. We got a war to win here.

There's a lot of talk about W40k, but we're getting off topic.
This thread needs more best elf

What happened to the other aspects?

they're boring shit tier. Look at Thrall

Blue Guy's Dead
Black Guy's Dead
Brown Guy's Destined to go nuts.

Alex won't last another expac.

eh, 40k is like crendor. its welcome anywhere.

Murder hobos happened.

>off topic
Well, it seems the discussion now is basically people caressing their waifuism.

At least talking about 40k will bring some actual lore.

>Nozdormu goes nuts because all his friends died
Calling it

Food for thought:

A Vrykul tribe should have become the sixth alliance race instead of Worgen and Stonemaul-Ogres the sixth Horde race.

Vrykul are sufficiently monster-ish to be considered an ugly race so more edge-teens and eternal viking-fags will want to join Alliance, while still being human enough to better fit the overall Alliance asthetics. Meanwhile, elevating Stonemaul-Ogres to a full-fletched player race would have been the easiest job, lorewise, and also fulfilled a long-running wish of Hordebois who just weren't yet sufficiently satisfied with the crush and smash the orcs delivered, while bringing a perfectly fine "mage" race into the mix. They wouldn't even have had to be two-headed, or the two-headed model could have been a mage/priest/warlock exclusive.

>inb4 Two head item slots and how to explain armour with two neck openings

Tauren and gnome warriors can wear the exact same kind of item drop. If that doesn't cause you sleepless nights, two-headed ogre models shouldn't, either.

Also, Vrykul would have tied so strongly into the general Old Gods/Elemental lords lore of Cataclysm, and Ogres would have been a great "giant" mirror against the Vrykul.

They could finally have introduced that one unused spot in northern lordaeron which has longsince been speculated to be the elusive Northaeron as the starting zone for Vrykul, either a place where this tribe settled after escaping from Northrend or always having existed there and somehow not be affected by the curse of flesh.

>What happens with Gilneas?

Gilneas opens up as a high-lvl PvP zone, Worgen are a rampant problem but the afflicted are lost. The rest of the Gilneas storyline can be kept as is, maybe except for Genn being a wolfaboo all along.

Vrykul are fucking huge and humans are cursed mutant midgets to them

Just spitballing here: Vrykul from Northrend with their tremendous warrior culture would pretty surely have been impressed by alliance humans wrecking up the place and a tribe could very well have decided it might be smarter to switch sides to the Warrior King Anduin Vrynn.

In the case of isolated Vrykul remnants in Lordaeron, those have always been much more "human", so to speak. They were the ones to actually seek shelter from other Vrykul flying off the handle trying to compete for Odyn's attention. It's not that farfetched to see them wanting to join the alliance for safety because the planet is breaking in half.

To be honest, my wishlist for new playable races is as follows:

Horde: Ogres, Nagas
Alliance: High Elves, Vrykul
Neutral-then-pick-a-side (like pandas): Ethereals

Seriously, what are the Ethereals even doing nowadays? It's heavily implied that Azeroth is basically the last planet left that hasn't fallen to the Legion, you'd think we'd have seen Ethereal refugees or osmething like that.

I understood from the Chronicles and other sources that Azeroth btfo'd the Legion so many times they became obsessed with it and have pooled their resources to finding it and finally killing it, especially since Azeroth is potentially such a strong titan in the making that he could one-shot the universe if it turns out he were corrupted.

So I don't see why they should have killed all the worlds already except for azeroth, unless we ARE heading for that franchise reboot.

Ethereals are fighting the void lords. The ones we see are the rogue ones who broke off from all the revenging to make money instead

Pretty much this. Maiev is like the player character; no matter how many times she's knocked down, she'll just get back up and come at you even harder, leaving a river of bodies in her wake. She's one of those characters that I feel like will never die, because she's too crazy and hardcore to die.

What, no Arrakoa?

>Azeroth's titan
>he

user, Azeroth is a woman. Sargeras has the hots for her.

During the mage arcane artifact some ethereal are trying to get into malygos' vault.

You and I are like of mind.

Rule34 when

As soon as Azeroth gets a real body, expect copius amounts of Sargeras rape and Old God tentacles.

So who/what is Elune?

my waifu

The prevailing theory seems to be that she's some sort of a manifestation of Azeroth's world-soul. But no-one's sure.

So is she the waking part of the sleeping spirit?

Or simply it's own dream?

I would have loved for Ysera to turn out to be Elune as sort of unspoken realisation of all the Nelves watching her die and fade into moonlight during that Legion cinematic. it would have ment the nelves have actually witnessed two of their most precious gods die.

>>Or simply it's own dream?
We full Lovecraft now.

Oh wait, we've been full Lovecraft ever since Ahn'Qiraj.

It's somewhat weird that while the Chronicle very heavily hints that (the Well fo Eternity is literally Azeroth-titan's blood, and the trolls that became night elves started worshiping Elune after they settled around the Well, and also believed that Elune slept in there, so there's pretty clear connection between Elune and Azeroth-titan), but then there's that one quest in Legion where Khadgar mentions a theory that Elune created the first Naaru when the universe was created, which might be onto something as the Tears of Elune activate the Naaru Prime fragment that was supposed to be only be able to be activated of a Naaru of direct lineage. That wouldn't fit with her being manifestation of Azeroth's worldsoul, though, and is also the first time I've ever seen Elune referred as an "universal" deity, rather than the goddess of Azeroth's moon(s).

Well, Elune is the moon, yes? The moon that orbits Azeroth, the planet that contains a Titan?

I'd say that Elune's either an extension of Azeroth's world-soul or she's the primary Watcher, that ranks above all others.

Azeroth has 2 moons

The forums would have gone nuclear, if Kosak's attempt to have Darnassus bombed in MoP were any indication.

Yeah, Elune was described by Blizzard as a "true diety," but that was before Chronicle and I don't think even they know what to make of her anymore.
Thanks to the cinematic with Ysera, we DO know that Elune exists, is connected to the moon and has some active influence on things. Just not enough to actually do something about the demons attacking her temple. Or to save her own son, Cenarius.
One of them is a space station.

>One of them is a space station.
What

I would get in

Wait, so can WoW dragons shapeshift like D&D dragons? I always thought that was just fanfiction and fanart.

>Kosak's attempt to have Darnassus bombed in MoP

What's the story here? Was Darnassaus slated to get destroyed and people stopped it?

Why? Darnassus sucks. It's the worst capital city. It's just two large wooden huts and that same Nelf temple they have everywhere.

Holy fuck, nigger. Play the fucking game. Jesus.

That temple always bugged me. Darnassus is supposed to have been only about 5 years old at start of WoW, so why does it has the same "ancient highborne temple" model that looks just as old as all the ruined ones?

They take humanoid forms all the time.

>Darnassus getting wrecked
I would like to see that.

Fuck the night elves.

The gameplay is shit.

Neato. Thanks user.

Maybe they re-purposed some of that old Highborne architecture? It's not like they're using it anymore.