/solog/ - Solo Gamers General

NFL Sunday edition!

pastebin - pastebin.com/F8teW7rr - updated as of thread creation.

Here's the thread to talk about solo & solitaire gaming!

Has your gaming partner left you high and dry? No friends, only enemies? Why not try it alone? It's not just the long way to sort cards anymore!

Previous Threads:
We left off declaring our solidarity. If the thread dies we make another.

We also were discussing "quest flow".

Other urls found in this thread:

donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/dungeon/
mega.nz/#F!y1UDSTxA!kVop5ZWxaQs9Z26cjAo3NQ
twohourwargames.com/horror1.html
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1474285313
solorpgvoyages.wordpress.com/2015/09/01/the-secret-system/
drivethrurpg.com/product/174913/Frustration-to-Freedom-30-Days-to-Legendary-Solo-Roleplaying-Adventures
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1474336239
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1474493612
mega.nz/#F!lM0SDILI!ji20XD0i5GTIUzke3iv07Q
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1472447328
mediafire.com/download/ic2jh77e39ua51b/B-17 - Queen of the Skies.pdf
mediafire.com/download/6rvn4z3snecjdr6/Mercenary Air Squadron.rar
mediafire.com/folder/b3gnock66mkew/Warlock_Magazine
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/36762480
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/37240304/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/48987770/
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1474509639
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1474512347
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1474513371
solowargamer.wordpress.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You guys mentioned AI yesterday. The 40k boardgame "Assassinorum: Execution Force" uses the board itself as well as die rolls to determine how the chaos cultists move around the board.
The enemies move around the board going straight down their line of sight. When the enemy encounters a junction between hallways etc. they roll a die - the way the enemy moves is noted on the board itself. If a PC ends up in the line of sight after the change in "patrol" the enemy attacks the PC.
My homebrew spin on this is instead of placing minis, I place placeholders and move them as if they are cultist. These move the same as normal but if a PC ends up in the line of sight a roll is done to determine what enemy (if any) is encountered. Basically a way to randomize enemy types and amounts.
In the pic related you can see the small red arrows on the board they reflect the possible patrol routes.

This is a cool area for us to investigate - nice! Any other finds along this line?

One could whip up a neat space hulk or aliens game - create a random 'dungeon' generator/chart to build your gameboard; have an enemy chart for numbers/types of foes; either build your board as you go, randomly determining encounters; or, build the board all at once and place/move enemy counters randomly as you play through. (with patrol paths and spawn points marked)
I guess it could be two games: one game to build the game, the other game to actually play what you've built.
Old Talisman did this iirc?

Two Hour Wargames does sort of similar stuff with "PEF" (Possible Enemy Force)
And by that I just mean they're on the board but all you know is "PEF 1" and when you encounter them (they enter LoS) you roll to see what they are. 2d6, 4+ counts as 'passed', count passed [see the picture]
They might even be nothing. Or hints of something.

By default (in the latest versions, at least) their movement is all towards the player's force (in chunks of no move, 4" move, 8" move) which is less than amazing but also easily changed if desired.

I agree.

I have a bunch of tiles from games like space hulk and dungeon crawlers that a good way to model ai movement could be implemented why maintaining some framework of the actual rules.

This game - Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game - claims to be single player compatible. Anyone know how the monsters work? It also has a tile system to map.

I am intrigued by the thought of going one-on-one with Strahd...

If you want to randomly generate some dungeon tiles, Donjon does it pretty well. It's what I use for all my random dungeons
donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/dungeon/

Do you guys have any preference or experiences/advice to share between RPGSolo and the GMEmulator.swf? In the context of using a different system (eg Savage Worlds) alongside em.

The .swf uses the actual mythic GME system with its threads and random events and and chaos and I have a cool rulebook to source but Mythic GM Emu is also several stuff to track and heavyish - exact scene start/end, chaos level changing, multiple lists (characters, threads...), scenes being altered by Chaos, etc.

The RPGSolo only uses Mythic for the event table itself but includes other stuff to make up for it although who knows how useful those are. It also doesn't expose many of the mechanics (especially the Get Answer stuff or random events) which makes me feel uneasy for some reason, and then it also mostly doesn't have a cool rulebook that I can look at and very much demands I use the website. But it's also lighter?

If you play a defend the flag kind of game with minis, you could use the THWs Chain Reaction system. Those minis just do their own thing.
twohourwargames.com

The SWF uses a modified version of Mythic. Notably its list of words is all different, probably because the creator was worried about copyright.

So it does. Interesting.

There's a solo RPG add on for google docs that uses mythic with a bunch of material from Variations. It outputs results directly in the text.

The Fantasy Trip has some solo adventures.

mega.nz/#F!y1UDSTxA!kVop5ZWxaQs9Z26cjAo3NQ

Speaking of THW,

Does anyone have the PDFs for "All Things Zombie" or at least a review of it?

twohourwargames.com/horror1.html

How does it work? Do I need chrome?

uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1474285313
what I got of ATZ. Kind of a mix.

Muchos Gracias!

added this too. actually really cool way of making your own "module"..

Thank you Kindly!!!

Have you played it? Did you enjoy it?

No, I haven't played it, nor really played any other THW stuff.
I just have em.

Thank you very much for uploading what you have!

How do you guys handle 'secrets' in solo RPG play?

Like perception is a particular oddity for me. How do you know when you roll perception? How do you know what this thing you're trying to perceive is? How do you determine what penalty or DC a thing is without even knowing what it is, or where it might be, or how it might be hidden?

Would you just ask Mythic or something "is there a secret here I am not missing" -> yes and then go "oh well I dunno, maybe it's a DC of 20 or a penalty of -2, cause...I feel like it?" and then try to beat that, and then make something up that could fit (or just ask for complex detail in mythic for inspiration)?

A lot of rules fall into this kind of odd sphere, it seems.

Well, there's this system: solorpgvoyages.wordpress.com/2015/09/01/the-secret-system/

bump

>We also were discussing "quest flow".

What about in particular? How to make characters go between quests? How to structure them? How to create pressures?
How does it differ from normal character questing?

Not really seeing it in previous threads

The way I read many of these posts, I get the feeling it's always a case of "where to start".

Do you rush in with a GME asking random questions and just see where it takes you?

My preference would be to have the "known dungeon, unknown enemies" philosophy rather than the "unknown dungeon, unknown enemies" which would be harder to produce on the fly. (there's also "Known enemies, unknown dungeon")

That's kinda what I meant. Since it's solo there's really no structure if you are just making it up on the fly, so for myself at the very least I try to make a map first, then use tables to determine monsters.
If the game has a system in place to do it, the better.
That's all I meant - didn't mean to read too much into it..

My favorite way of generating something to go off is "pick 3 random GURPS books".

Oh when I start I definitely need a base that I've decided to go with - an 1800s-era explorer in the west investigating an odd abandoned 'settlement' he ran into, or an ancient greek soldier investigating a cave or something. A core concept that sounds interesting.

Otherwise without this initial guidance it's very hard (in my experience) to really settle on an idea with just random words being spat at you.

That's pretty amusing. How do you pick them? Do you have some table laid out, or do you just flick through some huge list online and pick the first 3 your eyes really settle on?

3 times 2d100 and I look in my .pdf folder. I just make a box selection over the first and mouse down until Windows counts 2d100 files.
I use the 3e folder too if I'm feeling adventurous, but usually it's much more defined settings so mashups are a bit harder.

There was a website that did it for you, but I can't find it back again. Was convenient, wouldn't have to reroll as much. (Like how I don't know, rolling 48 and 51 give me Dungeon Fantasy booklet #3 and #6 instead of two different settings, or how I can randomly fall on useful like "Skill Categories" that's just GURPS' skills organized into helpful categories, but not a setting or genre book.)

I know there's actually a d100 list of different GURPS genre books out there, that I can find and post in a bit, but I personally use this list that I made myself. It's a little more comprehensive because it also includes source books like vehicles and magic, as well as other various RPG books and sources of inspiration that I would typically use.
Also, for GURPS book series, such as the AADA Road Atlas, I only posted one of the books out of the set to reduce bias towards larger series. I went through this list manually, so it might not be perfect, because there are a lot of GURPS books. Anyway, hope this helps someone.

Also, I just realized I pasted the non-GURPS twice on the list. To account for this, you can roll between 22-197 on random.org

Oh nice.

Bumping to post a cool course.

drivethrurpg.com/product/174913/Frustration-to-Freedom-30-Days-to-Legendary-Solo-Roleplaying-Adventures

What is meant by an "email course"?

Looking at the comments it looks like he (or some automated thing?) emails you once a day for 30 days, and also gives you 'homework'
Kind of odd.

isn't that what this thread is for?

I'm in the wrong business....

Here's The Department, a skirmish wargame for one or two players where you basically play Deckard from Blade Runner and try to track down replicants. It moves through staged missions where you attempt to acquire evidence and things that let you unlock the next mission, until you finally locate your target and try to take him down

Interestingly, the two player game is actually a co-op version of the solo game, though you can also use the rules to shoot it out with each other if you like.

uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1474336239

Damn, if the replicants look that much like a robot it can't be too hard to track em down.

Oh, there are regular robots too.

Here's one of the not-replicants.

Anybody here have any sort of AARs they've wrote up of them using some tool to play an RPG solo?

AAR?

Talk like a pirate day was yesterday.

ye can't keep me down ye landlubber!

after-action report.
In this context it just means a write-up of what you used, how it went and thoughts.
Ideally (to me) it'd also include examples of you using the tool in the play for example with Mythic GME what questions you asked or what event meanings you randomed and how you interpreted them.

Aaaaaah okay.

this sounds like its just my thing. Thanks!

'Night, lone wolves.

page 10 bump

Cool, question....

Without spending money what would be the best place to host these?

Is it easier just to post on the tread when requested?

Take a throwaway email, set up a Mega.nz account, and set up a trove like the other generals do?

will try... thanks user

pge 10 bump

bump

Added "trove" link in pastebin.

Let me know if its on..

Looking good so far.

Here's the core Classic Traveller books that Scout's Honor references - might want to put them in a sub folder or something, for easy access.
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1474493612

Thanks - added
Will try to find pic related as well to complete the set.

Oh ,did I not put Azhanti High Lightning in there? It's in the Traveller archive, under 01 - Classic Traveller/GDW Games Modules.
mega.nz/#F!lM0SDILI!ji20XD0i5GTIUzke3iv07Q

lol - i should have looked closer you had gotten it all - i just added game 3

Some stuff that's not up yet::
Barbarian Prince:
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1472447328
mediafire.com/download/ic2jh77e39ua51b/B-17 - Queen of the Skies.pdf
mediafire.com/download/6rvn4z3snecjdr6/Mercenary Air Squadron.rar
mediafire.com/folder/b3gnock66mkew/Warlock_Magazine

And here's some old threads where I dumped a bunch of stuff, all still available on 4plebs archive. There's also some discussion and some stuff I need to get, especially in the second link:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/36762480
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/37240304/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/48987770/

>Flash Point
>Chronicles of the Blood
>Arkham Horror
>Level 7 [Escape]
>Thunderbolt Apache Leader
>Robinson Crusoe

Keep em coming...

Found 3 more solo D&D modules

TSR 9067 - Msolo1 - Blizzard Pass
TSR 9060 - Msolo2 - Maze of the Riddling Minotaur
TSR 9097 - BSOLO- Ghost of Lion Castle

We should agree to try and play one of these solo adventures (Tunnels and trolls, DnD, or CoC, traveller) and report back on the time we had.

These TSR modules are also for solo play:
CM5 Mystery of the Snow Pearls
MV1 Midnight on Dagger Alley
XS1 Lathan's Gold
XS2 Thunderdelve Mountain

Here's some solo Pathfinder modules, called Avalon Quest:

uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1474509639

Hounds of Halthrag Keep, Dungeon Crawl Classics based, but playable without any other books:

uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1474512347

Ruins of Undercity, and Mad Monks of Kwantoom, both by Kabuki Kaiser:
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1474513371

Isn't that the point of these threads?

No bully pls.

I'll add these later on. Next thread maybe a theme playing one and posting results.

It's a good idea

I'm usually a /hwg/ and /awg/ kinda guy and was wondering if anyone had any experience with solo wargaming?

It appears that it makes the most sense to run a solo campaign of sorts and randomise a list of potential moves your opponent can make on a campaign map, but I wonder if there would be a demand for solo campaigns written by other anons?

>if anyone had any experience with solo wargaming?

I know it's been a thing as far back as there's been wargaming. Much like chess, sometimes the best way to really analyze your game is to play both sides, and really try to poke holes in your own strategies.
But for a more exciting, visceral game, I've heard of a guy using Mythic to run an opposing warhammer army to great success. It surprised him and at several points and made for a challenging opponent.

>I wonder if there would be a demand for solo campaigns written by other anons?

Oh yeah, there would.

>Oh yeah, there would

Well, I need to brush up on this kind of thing and would be willing to write up a couple campaigns for this general.

If anyones got any requests I'll see if I can do them.

I lol'd, thanks

Any app/software aids?

Somebody made a flash version of the Mythic GM emulator. There's also the rpgsolo website thing in the links up top.

Although it seems like this blog has not been updated in awhile it relates to your question

solowargamer.wordpress.com

It's all about modeling ai.

Anyone want to try "Alone against the Dark" then post their adventure by their numbers?

Having a sort of "weekly game" might be interesting. But I think we might need more people involved in the thread for it to really be a thing more than one or two people did a week. Couldn't hurt for keeping the thread active, though, even if it's just one person.