/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Divine Delicacies Banquet Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus or husbandos except for Dagoth Ur.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pSfxE4zXtTA
1d4chan.org/images/1/14/Scrollhammer_2E.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Trainwiz is now working for Bethesda
Did he confirm this, or is he still giving vague half answers

I haven't heard him say anything about that in some time

youtube.com/watch?v=pSfxE4zXtTA

I want to FUCK that dust adept

Ah, so they farm the corprus beasts. Makes sense now.
Dreamer>ash zombie, corprus stalker or ash slave
Ash zombie>ash ghoul>ascended sleeper
Only the former councillors of House Dagoth can be heart-wights/ash vampires, correct?

All dreamers carry some delicious corprusmeat for launch.

I guess it would be farmed from lame corprus

*lunch

Wasn't he working on Nuka World?

Wasn't Akulakhan's body made from corprus? That's why they probably farm the stuff.

Well, that would explain why Dagoth Ur makes bloated abominations.

>you'll never know how corprusmeat tastes like

I imagine it would be like bad roast beef
Fucking horrible but you just can't stop, there's nothing else to eat and you already started...

>you'll never taste a sweetroll

The standard route is
Dunmer>Sleeper Cultist>Dreamer>Ash Slave>Ash Zombie>Ash Ghoul>Ash Poet>Ascended Sleeper

Those that get inoculated with corprus before becoming a dreamer go the route of
Corprus Stalker>Lame Corprus>Corprus Beast

>Only the former councillors of House Dagoth can be heart-wights/ash vampires, correct?
Pretty much. Unlike the standard cultists, Ash Vampires have been brought back from the dead, and their new bodies are made entirely from corprus. You don't technically need to be a former councilor, but they're the only people Dagoth Ur is actually willing to bring back.

>Wasn't Akulakhan's body made from corprus?
It was made from ash cultist that had undergone ritualistic anti-creation, the same technique that the dwemer used to create Numidum. But yes, Akulakhan was indeed infected with corprus.

I'm pretty sure Numidium's body was made of Dwemer "brass" and the anti-creation ritual (that was done by manipulating Lorkhan's heart) is what gave it soul and life. Now one could argue that all Dwemer metal was created through some form of anti-creation (though there is no direct evidence), but that's bit different than anti-creation on racial scale that was used to start Numidium.

>Corprus Beast
what?

>Ash Poet
w-what?

Those types of players shouldn't be accepted here. If you didn't play Morrowind at least once, you should GTFO

Dude, I've played it for a thousand hours or so, and never saw any of those two.

To be fair, if you haven't played all of em you should GTFO

Oh common, I tried to play Daggerfall but just couldn't make it, I love the universe of TES but I don't like retro gaming that much

>I'm pretty sure Numidium's body was made of Dwemer "brass" and the anti-creation ritual (that was done by manipulating Lorkhan's heart) is what gave it soul and life.
Well, I guess it depends on how you read it. The dwarves are explicitly stated to have become Numidum's "golden skin", but whether or not that's a literal golden skin or a figurative
golden skin is debatable. I've always interpreted it the former.

>one could argue that all Dwemer metal was created through some form of anti-creation (though there is no direct evidence)
Now that's subject open to a lot of speculation. All dwemer metals break the Earth Bones at some level (their "brass", for example, was immune to the effects of time), but there is very little information on how they were created.

>Dude, I've played it for a thousand hours or so, and never saw any of those two.
That's because they didn't have time to implement them in the game.

And the Poet?

Same deal. Dagoth Gares' in-game dialogue makes mention of them.

Wait for Daggerfall Unity.

Will it changes the old gameplay ? Because that's really what putted me off, not the graphics, not making it work, but just the way it played

Yeah, I think "golden skin" is literal, but I'm pretty sure Numidium existed as some sort mechanical skeleton and then Dwemer became it's organic parts and gave it a mind in form of world denying oversoul. I mean it's said that Dagoth and Tribunal knew Dwemer were constructing big robot before they anti-created themselves, so it must have had some sort of skeleton before the ritual.

It will be open, so mods that change that would be "very easy" to implement.

I don't think I could ever get into Arena or Daggerfall. What I like most about TES is the worldbuilding, I'll take small scale hand crafted high detail over large scale procedurally generated.

Well then I hope you're right and that it will be good, I really wanted to try it but I just couldn't

I thought Ash Poet was just original name for same creature that was named Ash Ghoul in final release.

Can't blame you, same reason I never bothered with Morrowind.

I think Morrowind is really still playable, it can be hard to get into but once you understand the way it work it's absolutely awesome, but I can really understand how it can be hard to enter

i still hate that you get a % to hit like it's turn based combat or something. really annoying. but at least you feel powerful as fuck when you start landing more hits then misses.

Yeah, I played it for the first time only few years ago and although it's kinda hard to get into and understand how everything works, it's still really fun.

Daggerfall though, although still playable after some getting used to it just doesn't seem worth it to me. Most of the things you do are randomly generated quests in randomly generated locations and even those that aren't random don't differ much to those that are.

There's a lot of worldbuilding in Daggerfall, in the form of the complex relationships between kingdoms, factions and royal families. There's more worldbuilding there than in Oblivion i would say.
You should definitely give it a go.

>every time I see someone complain about the % to hit I wonder how it could bother someone let alone be a deal breaker
>hadn't played tank control games growing up because of 1 game a year til I bought them myself. Get called a casual because I can't deal with that shit
It's weird how playing with an unpleasant mechanic when there is nothing better out there will get you used to it.

Hate not the Woodsman for he knows the grains of the wood as a hawk the currents of wind.

Hate not the Hunter for his arrows finds their mark as surely as the fangs of a wolf.

Loathe rather those who gaze toward the sky and see only a reflection for they see naught but their own pride.

2012 memes. I feel old now.
Daggerfall seemed like it wanted to put a lot of detail into the world.
Most details you come across, from iconic artifacts and names of historical figures, are familiar to player of more recent games and quite a lot of TES lore has it's roots in Daggerfall.
Even the Warrior-Thief-Mage theme in the character creation and even some sci-fi/steampunk elements.
I would say Daggerfall is severely underrated when it comes to lore and worldbuilding as opposed to Morrowind.

What do we know about daedras living in the seas?

>even some sci-fi/steampunk elements
What, no?

>you will never be able to play as a Maormer in a mainline TES game
>you will never go island-hopping and explore the jungles of Pyandonea
>you will never stop by at Thras to buy the latest Fuck Tamriel from the Sloads
>you will never raid the Summerset Isles to bully the local Altmer with your Sea Serpent companion
>you will never do so with a sexmod installed that allows you to rape them, too

I think he meant Battlespire (technically can be considered to be part of Daggerfall despite being stand-alone game) and Numidium.

Numidium first appeared in Daggerfall.
Also airships are mentioned as a possibility. in the character creation questions.

Numidium isn't sci-fi

It's not sci-fi from our perspective, but it definitely is for people of Tamriel. Perhaps isn't a right term, but it definitely isn't classical fantasy, I think that's what these two anons meant.

Battlespire has one of the coolest setting in the entire series.

Too bad the Empire probably doesn't have any Twilit Fastnesses anymore, since the fall of the Battlespire. Or crafts like the Star Galley.

If you want to go with strict definition of sci-fi (fiction based on real scientific speculation) then almost nothing in TES is sci-fi. However, Numidium is giant robot and thematically it's very sci-fi. It's similar deal why Star Wars is usually considered sci-fi (in a sub genre called science fantasy, also same thing what sci-fi elements in TES are all about) despite being pure fantasy that has no basis in real science.

Roleplaying as a devout follower of some deity is pretty fun in TES, because of the way the gods work and are written.
In Morrowind, I recently started playing an Orsimer adventurer who's a very devout follower of Trinimac, but who has very limited theological understanding.

I actually feel it's just a little easier in Skyrim or even Oblivion, and even Daggerfall, at least if you want to follow one of the Nine Divines. In that case, there are plenty of shrines and churches.

Morrowind is best for if you want the Tribunal and their saints, but the Imperial Cult is all kinda lumped into one thing. You can't focus on one divine as much as all of them.

Daggerfall is pretty good for it because there's temples and templar orders everywhere, and you can join them as a member. Also, there's for example larger temples outside of towns, and regional patron deities.

This
not if you play Mage, the only %chance is casting success, but hit success is almost garunteed unless the enemy is immune.

I wanted to like Daggerfall, but that starter dungeon. Eww. Even worse than the one in Fallout 2. I figured out how to get through it, realized that I'd have to do it again every time I wanted to start a new game, and just let it languish and moved on to Morrowind. Figured I could find all the cool worldbuilding shit on UESP and other resources instead.

Morrowind is nice in that there is not starting anything really, get off the boat, get your papers done and off you go, do what you want n'wah.

>Forgive the rude welcome, but until you have declared for us, we must treat you as our enemy. The Sleepers and Dreamers are newly come to Lord Dagoth, and not yet blessed with his power. But the Children of His Flesh, they are deep in the heart of his mysteries. Their bodies swell to contain his glory, and to yield the rich sacraments of our Lord's feasts. And we are the least of his servants, for Ash Poets, Ascended Sleepers, and Ash Vampires stand high above us in the Lord's bountiful grace.

Just eat a human tumor.
You probably have, already.

>Just eat a human tumor.
Now I'm aware I'll probably never know how tumors taste like
;_;

yummy!

Hosting Scrollhammer on Maptools.
Server name: Scrollhammer
Password: tgesg

how does one play that?

You're going to need the rulebook, and Maptools.
1d4chan.org/images/1/14/Scrollhammer_2E.pdf

welp

It looks more daunting than it really is.
Just about all of the rules are on the first ten or so pages, with the majority of the book being army lists, spell list, equipment list, and the like.
The vast majority of rolls are 2d6 roll under your relevant attribute (so if you have Agility 7, you need to roll 7 or less to hit with an arrow).

>2012 memes makes you feel old

Like human, but a grosser texture. Also some tumors grow things like human hair and teeth.

So I talked to some people, and apparently the conclusion is that Molag Bal is an irredeemable asshole who has no positive qualities beyond serving as an antagonist.

>irredeemable
Well duh. You can't be redeemed from your own nature, Trainboy.

Teratomas!

The point is that all the other daedra have situations or things that they represent that are positive or at least neutral. Bal does not.

He's the only god that really deals with the ideas of brutality and enslavement. Most other Daedric Princes are more indirect, and it's a little easier for them to fuck you over in the process of obtaining power.

From my point of view the Divines are evil!

Now that's a good one. Other than the obvious dwemer-altmer whiny spiel about them making the mortal plane, do the Divines have any negative qualities they represent in other cultures?

Do you work for Bethesda at all?

Dominating others is often the most practical way to deal with them, and more moral than murdering them all. The Empire exists by dominating the provinces outside of Cyrodiil.

He does from the perspective of an ambitious low-on-the-food-chain type person who's well skilled. If you prove you're no slouch, you can get things done, etc, Molag is the one applauds domineering those weaker than you. Growing in power, but not from no where, from having power of your own that you've grown to be greater, and for the purpose of using it to subjugate others.
...So Dio and his goals basically would be an easy example.
>I have only one goal, one drive! To be victorious and rule! That's all. How I do it matters nothing to me!

They all have the negative quality of being inconstant. Back in the early days of Cyrodiil many of them were seen as being "too elven", so they were edited.

I'm sure there are prim types who regard Dibella as little better than Sanguine. Stendarr's quality of mercy could be interpreted as weakness and cowardice by fierce warrior cultures. Few non-Imperials, and even fewer non-humans, would have a lot of time for Tiber Septim/Talos, especially if they buy into the backstabbing conqueror narrative.

You should just realize at this point i'll be giving non-answers or no answers, right?

>Prince of Rape, Enslavement, Domination and other nasty freedom taking things

I wonder why

No-one should have to pay for mods. That shit just ain't right.

You just be a good boy and make cool dwemer stuff, m'kay?

Agreed. Especially since so many mods are unintentionally collaborative and build upon each other.

WELL THEN YOU ARE LOST!

As a brutal vampire rapist, I find Arkay to be quite triggering.

But seriously, most of it comes down, I think, to cultural interpretation of the gods. Daggerfall comes to mind, with the Julianos unique quest showing an extremely harsh interpretation of him. The School of Julianos's main creed is that information must be shared, and when one of their order decides to keep some information to himself, the School decides to have him murdered.

In "The Last Year of the First Era", the Potentate says he thinks Dibella is "too lusty", and compares her unfavourably to Morwha.
Now, that's a work of fiction, but it's not unreasonable that this kind of distaste is somewhat common, especially in regards to all the regional variations of the Divines
A Khajiit might think that his regional varieties of the Divines are just fine, and revere S'rendarr, but that the Vigil of Stendarr's god is downright cruel.

Orkey might count.

While not a Divine, Lorkhan is obviously considered evil by many, like in the form of Sheor.

I don't recall the Nerevarine Prophecy mentioning that scene...

Twas rightfully stricken from the history books. Early Morrowind modding should die and be forgotten, it was worse than any of the later games.

>mods are unintentionally collaborative and build upon each other
This was the biggest and most harmful issue, but most people still fail to see it.
Why do people have to be so retarded...

And I just wanted vanilla apparel not to clip so much

Don't forget Valve just bringing in DOTA 2 modelers as the majority of the paid modders, all of whom understood nothing about Skyrim modding so all their mods were crap.

And then the other mods themselves being "premium" versions of existing things, and having no real extra support.

The only way I could think of paid mods working is if Bethesda actively contributed to working on them, essentially DLC with fan-input, rather than true paid mods.

Why were spears cut from later games again? They're fucking awesome.

>build all that END with spears
>don't even need it most of the time
>most monsters can't get within my reach to hit me or get stunlocked
Makes you relate to Vivec wanting to stick his muatra in everything.

I remember those sad, sad days, even went back to /tesg/. Bethesda and Valve hurt the PC platform so bad that day it still hurts.

That "could" work, maybe a la TNGS?

Anyway, back to lore!

If Bethesda made DLC with fan input, they'd be better off just making DLC.

>watch skyrim gamejam
>see spears
>get hyped
>think we're getting spears in dragonborn
>get little munchkin 'spears'
>4 years later
>still mad

Relatedly, what happened to throwing weapons? They were just straight up fun to use.

Maybe Bethesda cannot into reach weapons, or piercing weapons.

Someone at Bethesda doesn't like them. They even said "We didn't want to do spears"

How feasible is it to run a play through Skyrim naked?

I'd ask for a source if it wasn't such a believable claim.

Can we not talk about the games like this?
There's no lore being discussed here.

The biggest thing you'll be missing out on is enchantments. You can get Damage reduction from spells.