Malifaux General: Keep your pimp hand strong

Books:
mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - not yet; if you have scans/pics please post.

Book 4 card pics: imgur.com/a/vJ5g0 imgur.com/a/tjdx4

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives.

New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules:
themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/114900-gaining-grounds-2016/

Last thread: >49324561

Last thread actually

Rampant speculation on Divergent Paths character outcomes edition?

Most of the Outcast and Guild ones look pretty boring, to be honest, but some of the others look cool.

I think the Man's Guild(?) outcome, presumably giving him a free or hireable Guild Guard looks interesting, as long as he ends up outside Guild.

The Trickster learning magic from the Gremlins, or medicine/poison/necromancy from McMourning looks pretty cool too.

I'm intrigued by the Man's plan to sell booze for guns for the Gremlins though.
Would be interesting if he ended up Reckless, or acquired a Gremlin shooter.

My fault. I herped when I should have derped.

I'm a neverborn player so that's what i'm most intrested in.
The man sounds kind of boring so far.
Trickster and the child both sound a bit cooler.
Also when I was playing the mans scenario I was running Collodi and no nephilim so I have no idea how he'd end up with black blood

No problem. That's what fwiends are for.

As an Arcanist player I naturally like the idea that the Trickster will either be able to control Constructs, or have some spiders of her own to play with.
Would be pretty cool if they each came with micro-crews - Trickster + Spiders, Man + Guards, Child + micro-Teddies.

Also, talking to folks at the FLGS, it seems like the Teddy getting chopped up and re-sewn as miniatures versions is most peoples' favourite part of this event's fluff.

I had Colette - no Spiders.
Still, can't expect them to cater to literally every possibility.

But I can't wait to throw my games of Child scenario versus Gremlins in an effort to get the kid a pet chicken.

I think the Man going resser is intersting. I want more Resser models with summoning.

Kid should definitely go Gremlins, for giant chicken. Mini-teddy is cool too.

None of the Trickster stuff seems that gool. Waking up in the morgue is kind of neet though.

In a couple hours, I'm going to be teaching some new players.

Any last minute advice?

Don't play Viks

Don't play Viks, or don't let them play Viks?

You don't play Viks. They hurt to go up against as a newbie

Ah. I'm not sure I'm even going to play, depending on how many newbs we get.

I think I might be more worried about a newb playing Viks. If you take out one of the twins (and they're pretty squishy) they sort of fall apart.

>I want more Resser models with summoning.
>more Resser summoning.
Fuck you, maaaan.

I agree that the Trickster, despite being the most hilarious scenario and (in theory) character, actually ahs pretty bland outcomes.
Except maybe learning curses from the Gremlins.

Maybe play a Master that can/will win the scenario either without killing their models, or after they've killed all your models?
One of my favourite moments of my first few games was winning on VPs despite being almost tabled - educational.

If I had my buddy's Collete crew I'd run it.
Getting tabled and winning 10-3 would be a great way of reminding new players to focus on objectives.

BUT BABY TEDDY, that little girl will be a monster like Baby Kade, think of the awesome of her Baby Kade and with two Teddies and a master of your choice

user stop, I can't take it.

No, she must go to the bayou and wrangle my rooster

HE
GOT
TOLD

Yup, I was playing Colette (one 'l', two 't's, dear) when I did it.

Gah, it's too adorable, I can't decide.
inb4 /d/ finds out we have a small girl with a cock taller than her.

Potatto Pottato.

Stop right there, criminal scum!

I think there's some part of the fluff where Colette snarks at someone about the proper spelling.
It's not just me.

But if she goes to the Bayou "Bad Things Happen"

Well hellllo there, new painting fodder...

NOICE!
Thunders and Neverborn?
Or are you one of those sods that can finance dozens of factions?

Rules question:

When a model gets the Reactivate condition BEFORE activating in a turn, does it:
A) Get two (2) activations - one 'normal' one, and then the Reactivate later in the turn;
Or
B) Get one (1) activation - it does not RE-activate, it merely activates as normal.

Has come up twice recently, and two knowledgable folks at the FLGS gave different answers when asked.

Alright so Misaki user here, back with my post battle commentary.

So I ended up fighting outcasts against Ten thunders because my guild opponent cancelled at the last moment. So Misaki Vs Shenlong in Chaos unleashed mission of Divergent paths.
Set up was 4 buildings in the corners, two small forests on the sides of the center point a little bit of scatter terrain. 14 models Deployed blindly and 10 of them we decided to set up around the Arcane trickster.
Schemes were Hunting party, convict labor, leave your mark, undercover entourage, and a quick murder.
I took Hunting party and Undercover Entourage with the entourage being misaki
He took leave your mark and Hunting party
Round 1 Consisted of a few blows being thrown but nothing really of note, we both kind of held back and re-positioned with shenlong trying his damnedest to misdirect my jorogumo's attacks into other stuff.
Round 2 Shenlong and his crew were rolling hot at the start, hurting most of the jorogumo and killing one off completely.
At the end of the turn I decided I needed to start working on the strategy and the only way I could do that is if Misaki killed Shenlong. I charged and burnt a stone so that I could get a + on the flip, and that + gave me an 11 of crows, with only 1 card in his hand he had to burn his 2 soulstones or get assassinated. Flipped and got severe damage. With no more soulstones and an ace in his hand he couldn't do much when I dropped a red joker to hit and murdered shenlong.
Round 3 We started to play around with the strategy with misaki and the jorogumo trying to puppy guard the trickster, but he kept dancing around and we were both able to score points while his crew started to wither and die.
>TBC

round 4 saw more of his crew get ground down but I also took losses, Trying to score points off the trickster left my last jorogumo open and he committed to see it dead. At the end of the turn only a ronin, Misaki and a librarian were left on my team and a Shadow emissary on his side. Unfortunately the ronin and librarian were out of range of the trickster and I needed Misaki on his side of the board.
Round 5
try to move my librarian in the range of the trickster, just short.
Ronin gets fucking wrecked by the emissary, and misaki attempts to kill the Emissary but falls short as I forgot about hard to kill, but I was on his side of the board with full wounds.
Flip for turn 6, fail, game ends 10 vs 11 Shenlong.

>A model with the Reactivate Condition is available to be Activated one additional time during this Turn, as if it had not already taken its Activation.

>A model may not benefit from the Reactivate Condition more than once per Turn, even if it lost the Reactivate Condition and then gained it again.

It can activate twice. It doesn't matter if it has or has not yet as long as reactivate is still on the model when it triggers reactivate. if something removes the condition your SOL

Supplementary question:
What if a model with Reactivate but no Companion/Accomplice is the last model to activate?

Can you still activate twice back to back?

First one,
Reactivate lasts til the end of the turn so it does matter if a model gets it before activating the first time.

Up until a few days ago, yes.
The most recent FAQ disallows it, though.

Mostly TT and Neverborn, plus a few Outcasts.
Not mine, I'm the group's resident painter. Sure looks nice in a pile though.
I'll finance more of my Arcanists with that

Alright so lets say your opponent has activated all their models and your have a guy, we'll call him Jim, with reactivate that has not activated at all.

You activate Jim do his thing, then you pass to the opponent who has nothing left to activate and it's your activation again so you re-activate Jim.

>Undercover Entourage
>Leave your mark
>No deployment zones
How did you play that?

I'm the Colette player with the report earlier in the thread - we just dumped all our Schemes that referenced Deployment Zones and opted for the Faction ones instead.

Good, that's how we agreed it should be played today, which pretty much won me the game.
Yesterday, after lengthy discussion, it was decided you couldn't REactivate if you hadn't activated yet, which lost me a good few VPs.

That's fine

>The most recent FAQ disallows it, though.
Bummer.
Ah well, it was pretty much a corner case anyway.

All in all I don't think I could have done much else different, I feel his crew kind of crumbled after I killed shenlong. he admitted that he really liked the list, and that I probably should have won. oh well, I had fun, and got a bunch of stuff from someone who brought in some old metal stuff. Viks, Hamelin, Tara, and CR 7 are my next couple of projects.
It says on the thing that deployment is considered "Standard" for purposes of schemes and determining center line.

>It says on the thing that deployment is considered "Standard" for purposes of schemes and determining center line.
Man, I need to learn to read.

How'd you both manage to score so highly from the Trickster though?
I had very little trouble boxing my opponent out with engagement ranges, or at least controlling potential push lanes.
Four and five points is a whole lot.

that's actually something I'm kind of irritated with you can take a 1 interact if you are within 2" of her and can score up to 2 vps a turn on her if you flip or cheat in a ram or crow. we'd dance around each other pretty much, staying just out of reach and interacting with the woman to score our two and then go back to bashing faces.

Taking a break from my neverborn to work on some guild, might even get a game in with her later in the week.
I'm not sure what colour i'll be painting the hat though, going for light brown maybe ginger hair so maybe dark blue or black?

I'd say do it the same as the pants, looks good so far btw.

I sort of did the same, manoeuvring to get an angle to burn Rams for points, but it was still very easy with two models with 2" engagements to block about 210 degrees of access to her.
I guess the Thunders are quick, with a lot of pushes and Fast around.
Do the Jorugumo only have 2" Ml?

Agreed, match the hat and trousers.

I'd go light blonde-y brown hair, maybe a touch of ginger to keep it out of the drab monochrome-except-with-browns area.

The papers, quill and hands will brighten it up a bit though.

Just came back from my first tournament win and scored a sweet Hodgepodge emissary. I'm ok with paying $10 for him. Jack and Von Schill are officially boxed for good. From now on though going to start winning stuff for my brother. It'd be nice to get him Sensei Yu.

Glaive has 3, bite has 1, he positioned it in such a way that he could be just outside of the jorogumo's reach and interact with the trickster.

Anyway it doesn't matter, it was a good game over all and I look forward to the Child mission and the self righteous man mission later this week. Any suggestions for outcast crews that might be good at them? I'm tempted to take some from the shadows stuff for the Man, and a sniper squad for the Child mission to max VPs

Anything that will get to the Wagon first activation of turn two is good - you place him in b2b with the interacting model, so you have a bit of leeway getting him out of there if you can get someone else in quick to push him away.
Since it's only a 2" push, you can't get him that far without help.

A Freikorps Trapper is good, especially if you can Focus-Shoot his Strat Runner on it's way in.

Just bear in mind that getting run over by the wagon is no fucking joke - 2/4/6 is pretty rough.

Wait, no, got that wrong.

(1) Interact from within 2" for a 4" push, but score 1VP by having 1+ model within 2" of him.
2VP for freeing him though, which is the big win.

So actually you could free him and ping him a decent way towards home in your first two activations of Turn 2, banking an easy four or five (of six).

yeah kinda worried about that.

I got pretty much the entire Outcasts faction to work with honestly, I'm picking up some Convict gunslingers in the near future to run the shooty viks list, but I Got Von Schill, Tara, Viks, Hamelin, Jack Daw and Misaki to play around with (I have levi too but I'm gonna need some time for him as I got a bunch of stuff that he needs.) So Suggestions for the list?

For the Child, two Trappers could easily block each pair of Witchlings and Retreat to Cover to shoot them, scoring those VP easily enough.

Or be positioned so one can push her home and takes one shot, while the other Focus-shoots to clean up.

Congrats, m8

For the Man, put a Trapper or similar 5-7" in and 1.5" on your side of the centreline.
Focus-shoot something first turn, try and kill any Terror Tots or fast jammers he might present.
Wagon rolls in, Trapper interacts (2VP) and (1) Interact pushes him 4" into the waiting arms of the next pinball paddle, who will in turn (1) Interact shove him safely into the middle of your main ball.
From there, his VP should be free and denial should be reasonably easy, even if it costs you a 1AP shove every turn.
Then it's all Schemes.

I guess crew-wise, you could go thematic Von Schill, since he's got a highly resilient blob, but still has Scheme running options and killing power?

I was thinking about a squad of Hans and two trappers shooting the witchlings to make sure they couldn't get to the child while the rest of the crew goes after her, But having them deploy up near her to keep the child relatively safe and then pushing her back towards the safety of the crew also would work quite well.

10-4 I'm tempted to run a variation of the Von schill "elite" crew... what do you think about rusty alice being included for the Burnout Lazarus trick?

>Sniper squad
Relies heavily on good firing lanes, unfortunately.

>Rusty Alice Burnout Lazarus trick?
I have no idea what that is.
To be honest, my suggestions were mostly based on how much I love the Trapper with my Arcanists, and the Schemes and Stones Von Schill episode that came out a few days ago.

Burnout reduces a friendly construct to 1 wound but gives it reactivate. Laz has a healing ability and taking Librarians gives you other healing. Meaning Laz could be tossing out 4 grenades a turn.

Question how does I pay better work? Does it Just check to see if the model is a merc or does it have to be hired as a merc (with the 1 ss tax)?

It checks for the mercenary trait only.But it can be within the Outcast faction. So Performers and Crossroads 7 are just as fair game as the Freikorpsmann

Geez, think I'll be taking that with Schill.... like holy crap.

I require fluff. Specifically, fluff about Yamaziko. I'm a sucker for the 'old wise sensei who looks useless but can secretly kick your ass' trope, and the short blurb in the 2e book isn't enough for me. Anyone with 1e books, or who knows Through the Breach podcasts to listen to for her, please post.

Why are teddies good with the dreamer? And are they better with a beat stick or summoner build? And how does that crew run schemes?

Not him but I think I have a pic somewhere of part of mine.

This was on a cleaning spree about 6 months back. I think that's half my stuff.

>It's a skirmish game he said
>low model count you will have he said

Teddies are nightmares, nightmares are dreamer's thing. Lots of opportunities for Smell Fear to happen, and On Dreaming Wings also gets a lot of value in a Dreamer crew. Flying Teddies are some serious bad news.

I hear Insidious Madnesses are a popular pick for Dreamer scheme running. Summon some up and throw them out there.

Link for 4th book cards is not working ;) maybe someone has better scans?

Bump.
Gonna work on my outcasts when I get home, oddly I'm kinda looking forward to being a toxic piece of shit running a Hamelin rat joy list.

And this is why the Inquisitive child needs to go Neverborn, she'll play with Dreamer, Baby Kade, Teddies, Candy, and whatever Dreamer can dream up

Don't forget Zoraidas puppets!

I hope the outcasts rewards evolve beyond getting shot in the back and/or getting their stuff stolen.

They might become bona-fide bad asses like the Viks or Von Schill, but that'should not as cute as children playing which results in the death of the fool humans of Malifaux

Just starting the game and going to roll with Shenlong. The choice was mostly because of aesthetics and two proxy games with Rasputina left me a bit.. cold. Also, "oh you are a nightmare from another dimension? Here is my fist in your face". Snipers and the lone swordsman seem pretty obvious choices but could there be something else? Samurai seem ok? Fuhatsu is always recommended as are Brothers. Is Dawn serpent any good?

Shenlong makes the dudes around him better, so just about anything works.

Samurai, snipers, archers, merc snipers all enjoy the (0) focus, Thunder Bros are always good, lone swordsman can hit above his weight. Izamu might be a good idea for a big beater you can move around quickly with all those pushes.

Welcome to Malifaux

For some reason I had grouped Izamu with Yan Lo so I hadn't even considered him even though the model hits my weeabone! Thanks! I think I'll get Shenlong, Izamu, snipers and Samurai. I'll go with the monks for now and switch to brothers if I must.

My group used to play Confrontation and Malifaux is like confro 6.0 so I already love it.

Sounds like a plan!

The monks are pretty good at killing scheme runners with that triple attack and burning. Just be careful running multiples as those discards can drain your hand.

Off to my 3rd game in slow grow league. So far i'm 0-2 BUT we get points for painting models so i'm doing pretty well with that. If I don't get destroyed i'll do a battle report.
Here is my fingers that I finished a day or two ago.

I'm going to try and get in a Trickster game tonight with my 10T.

I'm thinking a Misaki smoke & shadows crew might be fun to try. I don't have the emissary or jorogumo yet, though.

Which book has the Hanged in it?

New Miss model spotted

Book 1.

Death by Miss Adventure?

As the misaki player from earlier in the thread of you are gonna run her I heavily recommend jorogumo first.

Thank you.

Any Viks players around? I'd like to pick your brains.

On another note what do you guys think about a "carver" themed abandoned farm board? I'm thinking about making one bit I'm trying to brainstorm things I might want other than a cornfield (or 2), some hanging trees and possibly a farmhouse.

Outhouse
Barn
Well
Fences
Dead cattle
Pumpkin patch
Scarecrows

Sounds rad. You can make hay stacks, silos, tool shacks, big wells and maybe even a small soulstone mine. Also, classic ALTAR OF BLOOD behind some outhouse.

Don't forget random steam machinery and piping.

The well is a good idea , pumpkins might also be a good idea.
How would you make scarecrows?

Might not be bad trying to avoid a blood altar but if we can dial that back to a sort of "Abraham sacrifice your firstborn here" altar we might have something.

>How would you make scarecrows?
I'd see if I couldn't get an approprieately sized pumpkin for a head, then just you a pair of sticks and greenstuff for the cloth.

If you're craftier, you could make them out of actual cloth and hay.

>dial that back to a sort of "Abraham sacrifice your firstborn here" altar we might have something.
I'd put some standing stones in the middle of the corn field.
Maybe they're just some rocks, that the kids carved pictures into.
Or they could be a millenia old sacrificial altar.

Just played through a couple of the story missions with some new players. Trickster and Kid.

It was a lot of fun.

I don't think one of the players is intersted. He thought the game was too complex. Although that might have had something to do with him drinking heavily.

As a new player the actual rules are pretty easy to remember but trying to grasp what you and your enemy can do when every model has different rules is really hard. Throw in reactivations, chainactivations and different pushes it's just tiring. I'll get there though.

Other then the guy who tapped out, the others seemed to really get the hang of it.

I was sort of playing with kid gloves, but the one borrowing my gremlins was doing a pretty good job. I didn't realize how annoying Bayou Two card and Squeel were to play against until now.

Hey user, if you're still here I'm a Viks player and bring them to every tournament. What's up?

>it's just tiring.
Yeah, this was my problem with it.
Keeping track of everything was exhausting, I was making so many mistakes by the end of turn five of my first couple of games that it was barely working at all.

I'm genuinely amazed by the handful of players at da club who can just reel off info about any model you mention, and how they would work in a given list, or how they should ideally be played, or have this one trick that docotrs hate, or fill roles better suited to this .other. unit with [repeat].
And with most of them that's not just their chosen faction or two - it's apparently pretty much all seven factions across all four books.

>how annoying Bayou Two card is
I know Gremlins have unfavourable triggers out the anus, but always having a ghetto-cheat available sounds absolutely incredible.

Only one of them is strictly unfavorable.
Bayou Two card is amazing, given that you rarely want to use cards in hand for your swarm of 3ss minions.

A lot of times you can use it offensively without any problems. Can't do much worse then miss.

Bumping this. I know there's people with the 1e books around somewhere.

>Samurai
> Focus
You know you can only flip a max of 4 cards in any duel, right?

Wait, do Samurai come with TWO positives built in?
That's ridiculous.

On a vaguely related note, I like the look of a lot of the Ten Thunders models, but the braingfuckling complexity of osme of them turns me off.
Which are the simplest TT Masters?
I'm guessing Misaki and...?

Samurai come with THREE positives built in on their ranged attack, and are so slow you're probably never going to hit melee.

Misaki and Mei Feng are the simplest masters. Misaki is basically just a better Mei Feng, at that. I began with Mei Feng because I liked the 'street fighter' look to her, and have regretted it ever since for exactly that reason.

Yep, so shoot through hard cover and vent steam all day!

lolwut, they're totally different. Mei jumps around destroying weaklings and venting steam, Misaki goes for the kill and does shit for her crew.

Lynch is the simplest 10T master anyway. Draw lots of cards, Ca8 so hard, kill everything.

Mei Feng does 2 damage to all enemies in a cluster every turn. Misaki kills an enemy model per turn. The opponent can choose not to cluster their models, so you only do 2 damage to like 1 or 2 things, while Misaki stalks and kills one model a turn until she is dealt with. More than one game, my opponent just ignored Mei Feng, and he won, because she just doesn't have the tools to punish you for not dealing with her.

Plus to the damage flip is nice too.