I'm super new to DnD, so please bare with me here

I'm super new to DnD, so please bare with me here...

I'm looking to find a list of "rogue" type classes, but can't find what I'm looking for, likely due to the fact I don't know what I'm searching for. My DM says I can use any pathfinder/3.5 classes, which there are a metric crap ton, so I'm a tad overwhelmed. Any advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

alcyius.com/dndtools/classes/beguiler/index.html
drive.google.com/file/d/0B6bKY5cuGjh9VFA1OF8xVmtqWjA/edit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> super new to dnd
> 3.5/Pathfinder
> rogue
user. user, please listen. It's still not too late for you. If you want to play DnD as a muggle and actually enjoy it, please consider playing the fifth edition. I beg of you.

Not my choice, man, I'm just getting my feet wet and moving from there. I asked why not start with 5th, but DM said he is the most well versed in Pathfinder, so that's what we're doing

Dammit, they never listen. In that case, I advise you to check out swordsage. It's a 3.5 class from the book Tome of Battle.

It'd help if you'd elaborate a little bit more on what constitutes a rogue-type of class in your mind.

Rogue is the roguist rogue there is. If you're new, it's probably best you stick to that, and maybe get your DM's opinion on what would fit his campaign and the other characters.

Beyond that, there's the scout, the assassin prestige class, three kinds of ninja, a slew of prestige classes in Song and Silence, scatterings of mixed classes like the arcane trickster, and weird shit that either requires or gains sneak attacks like the Blackguard. You might even be interested in the bard or swashbuckler, if you fancy the "roguish" type of character.

It really depends on what you want, and if you're very new, you might have an idea what you want that might not remain that way after you have a chance to play a few games. I always thought I wanted to play an arcane trickster type rogue, but somewhere, deep in my heart, I just wanted to murder people assassin style.

shall we tell him about the tier-system or will it be "funnier" if he finds out in play on his own?

Play wizard and turn invisible.

I'll check that out, thanks!

A rogue to me is dumbed down by modern RPG video games from the looks of it, but I'd like to be good at stealth, charismatic, dabble in theft, be moderately useful in battle, but not huge DPS. I hope that answers you in a roundabout sort of way

>eternally triggered bitch user is triggered!

Wowee, this is starting to get pathetic. You're really fucking terrified of people playing a game you don't like.

Oh wait, here you come again, to try and explain how you've got good reasons for always bitching about a game just because it's too popular for your tastes.

Post results, faget.

You migh want to look at Bard. They get enough skill points for stealth and charisma, while also not sucking complete ass like Rogues due to access to spellcasting.

Sounds like you might fancy being a bard more than a typical rogue.

Do you have, like, a life, user? Do you actually play your shit edition, even? Because so far I'm getting the impression that you only sperg out on Veeky Forums every time your precious game gets insulted.

I mean...have you considered the "Rogue" class?

Sweet, I'll check these out as well. The arcane trickster looks up my ally, but I think I have to prestige to that? Thanks for the info though!

I'm stupidly intimidated by lots of spells... I'll look into it though

Cool, I'll look into that too!

Yeah, I just want to weigh my options. Playing something besides "rogue" seems more fun than sticking with the basic classes.

Thanks for the help, guys, I really appreciate it!

Personally, since you're new, I'd recommend either Rogue or Bard as they're the closest to what you seem to want and and there's no point in sifting through all the suplemental crap.

I'd recommend the actual Rogue class over the Bard if you're a D&D virgin simply for the fact they're not magic users. 3.5's magic system is complicated, and even veteran players have to be on top of their spell lists so they don't get lost. If you're new to the game and go with a magic user, then chances are you'll spend even more time bogging down play by consulting the rule book. Bard's spellcasting feature isn't nearly as comprehensive as say a wizard or cleric but they still have a decent amount to keep track of.

Rogues are much more straightforward.

>bare with me
That's more of a /soc/ thread desu

you cheeky git

I think I've settled on bard, which might be a mistake, but screw it

Hey OP. Don't listen to these faggots giggling to themselves as the dreaded 3.PF hath been uttered.

Rogues are fun, but Unchained Rogue is the same thing only better! It gives them free dex2hit and dex2dam, in place of strength, while allowing more options in how you build it with rogue talents.

Barring that, Bard was mt first char and you will always have something going on. You can make a beefy 2h nordic warrior bard, a stealth archer assassin bard, a dandy handsome fencer, an ace of all types of lore and knowledge, a spellswors caster etc. Vanilla bard alone is great.

Any other questions just ask.

You never get tired, do you?

There's also a Factotum, a Rogue-turned-Wizard-with-a-Cleric-ability and a shitload of options but it's pretty advanced and most DMs believe broken.

If you're up for a fun time and don't mind using spells, go Rogue 4, multiclass into Wizard 6, and then go Arcane Trickster 10. Read the Rogue Handbook, Wizard Handbook. Talk to the DM and see what sorta game you're gonna have. Take Improved Initiative.

The beguiler (from D&D's PHB2) is pretty much a better rogue with spellcasting.

The 3.5 version can be found here: alcyius.com/dndtools/classes/beguiler/index.html

There's also a popular conversion to pathfinder that can be found here: drive.google.com/file/d/0B6bKY5cuGjh9VFA1OF8xVmtqWjA/edit

Bard and rogue both work.

My personal favorites are Scout and Swashbuckler.

You chose right.

If you want to put emphasis on the "tricky guy" over the team buffs, ask your DM about the Archeologist archetype for the PF bard.