/exg/ - Exalted General

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release:
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf
>Backer Charm Book:
mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18FYdnXLYj0JnBNxNSGIZyi_FZcg085qCyUYoCEtac_8
>General Homebrew dumping folder:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies:
mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

>Resources for Previous Editions:
pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

Other urls found in this thread:

exalted3e.wikidot.com/charms
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Okay /exg/ what in the world does a full siddy circle do?

Tell me about the Sidereal

Generally same as other circles. Save creation from impending threats and try and shape creation. They just have to be alot less direct about it

so not fate ninjas or do they get the more insane adventures?

Speaking of Sidereals, what would happen if I activated Beauty Is In The Eye (Border of Kaleidoscopic Logic Style), Four Magical Materials Form (Prismatic Arrangement of Creation Style), and Invoking The Chimera's Coils (Dreaming Pearl Courtesan Style), at the same time?

RAW they're compatible, would I be a 15 foot tall gazellecarp made of the magic materials and five elements?

Sure, sounds good.

They are fate ninjas, and yes they do get some pretty bonkers assignments.

Remember, Sids aren't called in for dinky shit like "there's a Fae running around making trouble" unless that Raksha is messing with some big chunk of destiny.

They usually get called in for shit like "so there was a glitch in causality and everyone in this patch of Creation is co-locating with a demon in Malfeas; fix it."

So does anyone else give nicknames to people and places they encounter? My solar is developing this thing where he doesn't really care where he is or who he's dealing with as long as it eventually gets rendered into silver or jade.

We've been to an island I only refer to as Confetti. (It has a real name, and that's kind of close.) There's an annoying dragonblooded fuck I've been calling Gogglor. (Not to his stupid face, of course.)

And about 5 or 6 guys whom I've called Crash. Because that's what my hammer does to them. Physically, as well as mechanically. There was a girl named Crash, too. It's a genderless nickname.

It's been long enough that I've forgotten, is there any type of special for warning when a book is about to come out or is it likely that someday it just moves to development in a Monday meeting?

Given the general lack of direction in the thread... let's do a variant of the old "what would X be in Exalted" and talk about Exigents. Personally, I think they're a neat idea. Are there any characters from other media that would be good examples of Exigents, or a good representation of how they work?

What is the most annoyingly pretentious name you can give an abyssal? Bonus points if you dont use the words: Night, Shadow, Raven, Reaper, Demon, Death, or Devil.

A Sidereal Circle is usually called in to deal with problems relating to Fate, as well as major problems that will destabilize an entire region or all of Creation. So, while a Dragon-blood group might be satisfied by "Ah, fuck, some jack ass sorcerer summoned a bunch of blood apes and lost control of them all, time to exterminate them" or "God dammit, this province is being rebellious and not paying its taxes to the Realm, let's fix that", it's "Fuck, someone summoned Octavian and now is conquering worryingly large parts of Southern satrapies, kill his ass" or "Great, the Loom glitched out in Gethamane and now people's Fates are randomly being swapped out, so healthy people are dying of cancer, people are falling in love with the wrong person, etc., fucking fix it." or "This empire is fated to die, make sure it happens."

Can a dragon-blooded live up to their name and eventually be able to turn into a fuck mothering dragon?

>tfw I just made an entire raksha community relocate hundreds of miles away because I tricked them into getting into a duel with my character
I told them that if I killed their greatest champion and held their champion's head aloft, they'd all have to fuck off back to their homebase hundreds of miles away. I forgot that fae disintegrate on death, though (or at least in this campaign; it's happened before regardless so I should've known), so they go "wow, dipshit, looks like we're gonna fucking eat your soul."

In response, I just pulled out a piece of paper and drew a picture of the champion's head and named it "Your Champion's Head", and held it aloft, while saying, "Maybe you all should've spent more time thinking this through instead of getting mad when I called you all out and rushing into an agreement."

Just roll a Tumblrina aka Lunar and eat a dragon.

Possibly at Essence 10

Good luck getting there.

So, I'm creating a Deathlord for my campaign, I'm naming him The Mariner of Mournful Depths. He's a patron of drowned sailors and makes use of sorcerous and necromantically enhanced ships that can travel underwater, and create a thick fog wherever they surface. He lives under the ocean in the west, in a city built from shipwreckage, bones, and limestone. In the center of the city is a powerful (5 dot) Abyssal manse, made of Soulsteel and fashioned in the shape of a giant pyramid, which creates a dome of air around the city and darkens the water around it so it can't be seen until you're inside.

My problem is kinda simple, but I need help with it regardless. I need a name for the city/manse, but I can't actually come up with one. Any suggestions?

Something Something Locker.

The stronghold behind the tide and under the abyss.

Shrouded Locker at the bottom of the abyssal depths.

I've got more. Give me a few minutes or stop me when you hot one ya like.

Good.

Alright then. Thanks user, I appreciate the help!

The grave in pitch black waters.

No problem.

That which is traped under the current.

The Leviathans lair untouched by light

The mariners shore under the eternal ocean

The depths off life's fragility ((get it, cause the sea life down there is exceedingly fragile irl))

The city within the oceans void.
Suprised nobody took me up on my abyssals pretentious names contest.

The vent that blasphemes against the waves.

The sunken promise of honest fishermen.

The fathomless refuge from the sun

Appreciate the help user, none of them really fit what I'm looking for (something shorter and snappier, like Skullstone Keep), but I think I can draw on some of these to figure one out. Thanks user!

Also, on the topic of the Mariner, I'm doing a sort of Google doc entry on him as part of my notes for my campaign, in the style of the Deathlord entries in 2e's Abyssal book. One of the things each entry has is an explanation on what roles the various Abyssal castes play under that Deathlord. Most of them are easy to figure out for the Mariner; Dusks are warriors and generals, Moonshadows are ship captains and admirals, Daybreak are sorcerers/necromancers and build the underwater ships his fleets use. But I'm drawing a blank on Day and Midnight castes. I don't necessarily envision him as a particularly theological Deathlord, nor do I see him making frequent use of assassins, so Midnights and Day cates fall into a kind of weird place. Ideas?

The midnight is usually like the solars zenith. It that they are both leader priest and usually serve as figureheads. So they would likely run the "ports" and the city.as for the nights, they're like scouts and lookouts aboard other ships and in the ports, always protecting the mariners interest on the land and keeping silent watch over the seas. Often in the boats of unsuspecting seafarers.

What level sorcerous workings would be needed to turn a fair folk into a creature of creation?

Solar 1 to put an existing mortal soul into a Raksha, Solar 2 to make a Raksha into a real boy, Solar 3 to forever allow all Raksha who complete the "quest of humanity"; whereby they shed their Graces in favour of human attributes, to become beings of Creation

anyone know of any homebrew time/destiny based devil tigers for 2.5?

Thanks to playing with a group who know next to nothing about Exalted, all of our Exalts are, in and out of character, currently under the impression that every single Abyssal goes by a stupid nickname and refuses to acknowledge those are real names.

To stop giggling at their actual names, we keep trying to call them the most mundane possible names like Bill or Jeff or in the case of The Maiden of the Mirthless Smile, Sally.

I can't think of that many examples of "the hero who assembles a hodgepodge of powers from misc. spiritual patrons" actually. As opposed to "the hero who never gives up" or "the hero who always survives" or even "the damned hero forged through failure".

Off the top of my head I can only think of Mob and his brother from Mob Psycho 100, given they only really started flexing their pschic powers after the green ghost guy started hanging out with them long enough.

I swear there's at least one martial art out there that lets you do this.

Maybe keep it simple? The Black Freighter.

Exigents can get powers from multiple gods? I thought Exaltation was a one-off thing.

I meant misc. as in the variety of types of patrons an Exigent can get, but-I actually don't remember, I know they start off with just the one patron but I remember them being compared to Devil Tigers in terms of mixing and matching Charms later on or something.

Maybe multiple Gods not strong enough to cook up an Exigent can pool their collective essence and make one who has a variety of their powers.

Seven Streams is an exigent formed by the co-operation of seven river gods who feared the Satrap's new palace would starve them by blocking their source. Individually none was important enough to warrant significant worship, but together they formed the collective of the region's water use and their joing petition was deemed worthy.

Seven Streams is therefore rare even amongst Exigents, and as a result of his unusual origin, his powers cycle daily and beyond his control, each sunrise awakening the powers and personality of a different river god.

>Investigate this

Every third baby born in the East is silent. He does not speak. Does not cry. He sees your soul, and he does not blink.

They say Choras is a city of wonder, the last surviving bastion on the highest First Age, and what a city it is, full of light, gods and exalted! Problem: The Loom is clear on this subject. Choras does not exist. So why is it the second biggest city of the South?

Where have the Metal aspected DBs gone? Wait, where has gone the pole of Metal? Metal, you know? One of the six elements of creation?

By freak happenstance, three different factions just decided to hijack the guild ship the 'Silver Dinar' in travel. The Silver Dinar also have two unrelated Solar Exalted on board, one well hidden Abyssal and one second circle demon metamorphosed. Sort this out, and remember: the Silver Dinar must survive to thwart the Seven Suns Invasion in two years.

A tightly knit band of Erymanthoi travel through the Western ports, making soul seeking music with strange brass trumpets. They call it 'Jaz'. In thirteen days this music will provoke a riot that will snowball into a revolution against the Skullstone Archipelago. Your job: Direct this revolution by learning Jaz yourselves.

I'm farily new to exalted and I a have a question
Are the Solar Exalted that are now appering reincarnations of Solars from the first age or are they just mortals that become embedded with their essence?

They are the inheritors of the First Age Solars powers, and may share traits with them and the exaltation may carry some of their memories, but they are not the same people. They are mortals, born in this age and given powers. The Solars of the first age died and either became ghosts or passed into the cycle of reincarnation

rl;dr - no, not the same guys

That's a complicated issue.

Here's how it works: every human being has two souls, the Hun (emotion, instinct, animal nature) and the Po (intellect, motivation, higher reasoning). When a person becomes an Exalted, the "spark" of Exaltation joins with them and acts like a third part of their soul, granting them great power, skill, and even some changes to their nature. When one of the Chosen dies, this spark leaves their body and finds another worthy person to Exalt, joining with them in turn; an Exaltation shard retains some aspects of its previous holders, such as the skills they gained through experience, some of their important memories, and sometimes even aspects of their powers or Anima Banner.

So, a "new" Solar Exalted starts as a new, unique mortal, and inherits part of the "self" of a past Solar. They're still fundamentally the same person they were to begin with, amplified manifold by divine power, but will often share some traits in common with their predecessors, either because they were retained in the Hero's Soul or because it seeks out those who possess such traits.

It's like inheriting a title. You are a net link in a long chain of heroic legacy but you are not your predecessors.

> When a person becomes an Exalted, the "spark" of Exaltation joins with them and acts like a third part of their soul
I am not sure if that's how it works in 3E. I had a feeling like devs wanted Exaltation to be more like a loosely defined "blessing" rather than distinct shards or Essence reactors.

Thank you very much!

you know what would break the multiverse?
solar exalt planeswalker
glorious solar bullshit pilled on with planeswalker bullshit for ultrabullshit
is there anyway to make this more bullshit?

>is there anyway to make this more bullshit?

Always.

Yeah, he was called Urza. That's why all his cards are banned.

One of the players in my campaign modeled his entire character off Urza.

A question about Unwoven Coadjutors, can they be any type demon? For example can a Slayer whose Patron Yozi is the Ebon Dragon have an Unwoven Coadjutor who was one of Adorjan's First Circles?

I may be the odd one out here, but most exalts in my games have names that we would consider names instead of combinations of words

It has been demonstrated repeatedly that most contemporary names do indeed have a literal meaning but it was mostly lost over the ages. Asian names are also often composed from symbols meaning distinct things.

Abyssals with names instead of obscene nonsense titles? I think you might have a fairly interesting group.

Considering First Circle Demons don't actually bear any 'spiritual' heritage from anything--any sufficiently-powerful Demon could conjure up Neomah if they had a reason to--it would be thunderingly retarded if Coadjutors were restricted by the Yozi of your caste/favored/urge/whatever.

So, given the rest of the quality of Infernals, I have to assume that "Yes, your coadjutor has to descend from a Yozi they bear no actual spiritual relationship with other than an accident of birth."

>most contemporary names do indeed have a literal meaning but it was mostly lost over the ages.
My favorite example on this score is that "Albert" is abbreviated from Old German _adalbert_, meaning "Noblebright".

No, I don't know what name used to mean "Grimdark".

So how did sorcery change from 2e to 3e? I know that Workings were added.

Have you read the book?

Now you have to hold B to charge your special, rather than spending mana on it.

What's the name of the Ebon Dragon charm that permanently makes you not be able to tell the truth?

You're probably thinking of Witness to Darkness, which inflicts a penalty when you try to use Charisma.

Not that it makes much difference, since anything you could accomplish with a truthful social influence can also be accomplished with a deceptive one.

Oh thanks. I thought Witness to Darkness just made it harder to see in sunlight.

Have there been any decent custom charms made for War yet? I have been really wanting to play a Zhuge Liang expy as my group starts up 3e but a lot of the charms for a war supernal seem kinda bland.

It's easy to forget, but while Abyssal Exalts have names like the Abominable Black Exarch of Silent Tears, Abyssal manses have names like the Cold House. A manse like that might be named the Onyx Pearl or something.

Here

exalted3e.wikidot.com/charms

Charm cards any good?

I remember seeing some Occult charms that work with sorcery somewhere, does anyone have a link?

>A manse like that might be named the Onyx Pearl or something.

Now I want to have a dead library of musty, stillborn ideas and call it the Onyx Path.

With empty shelves full of "Coming soon" and similar markers dated long ago.

You use motes from your surroundings, drawing them into your spell. The more successes you get on your ritual rolls, the more motes you get per turn. Once you get enough motes the spell fires, to devastating effect. It doesn't cost your personal or peripheral motes at default, and in general combat sorcery is way more viable now that perfects are nerfed

Woot, just finished first full session of my new Infernals game.

Extremely villainous party:
>Painter of Feverish Dreams, Fiend Caste, smartass guy who uses entrails for pigment
>Akane, Arch-Princess of the Greenflame Sea, Slayer Caste, tanky smashy gal
>Gwinn, Thousand-Tooth Devourer, Scourge Caste, cannibal and sneaky gal

I'd run intro sessions for them arriving in Malfeas and getting free stuff; today they returned to Creation on a mission to corrupt it. One of the 2CDs of the Ebon Dragon came to see them off, wish them luck, offer them loot to take along, etc. They didn't take much at the time, but as this is first session, I'm going to allow some degree of retroactive preparation as they realize they really should have brought stuff.

They landed near a small town near the Grey River, told the Yozi cultists to stop bickering, bickered a bit themselves, setting a bad example, and headed to the regional capital after stopping to convince the Slayer that no, you really shouldn't wear your artifact plate and carry your grand daiklave around just now, even if that grand daiklave is a gift from Ligier personally. Wear this disguise instead and pretend to be from the South.

Regional capital is ruled by an informal split between the Guild and five families. Coven arrived late in the day, settled in, and performed a demon summoning in the hotel room that night. The next morning they went off to the pleasure garden of one of the five families, met some likely-looking member, and chatted him up under pretense of making a deal to import rare seeds.

A kidnapping was planned. But where to take the target afterwards, and how to get him there?

The OOC:
>put him in the cache egg!
>you can't put living beings in a cache egg
>well, you can put living beings in a cache egg, just not use the elsewhere storage
>MALFEAN STEALTH: "Yeah, we just shoved this guy in a giant hamster ball, made of hellbrass, in broad daylight, what you gonna do 'bout it, punk?"

cont.

Eventually the plan actually carried out was that the Scourge stalked the merchant prince guy, beat up his guards, kidnapped him, and carried him to the bad part of town. Since she did this shortly after the coven had met with him, armsmen got a little suspicious, but the other two talked and weaseled their way out of it. (They had an extra suspicious tail, but lost him.) They regrouped in the bad part of town, used Will-Crushing Force to beat their victim down to 1wp on top of being half dead, then had the Slayer offer to help him if only he'd promise to do something for her... eventually browbeating him into triggering Fealty-Acknowledging Audience.

And that's where it stands, with the party now having villained their way into having a minion outside of the free minions they get from being Infernals near yozi cults, and plans to take over a bunch of of the five families and frame one of the others as working with the Guild to destroy whoever won't come under their thumb, and carry on from there. Or something; they're prone to replanning on the fly a lot.

Also there's a battlecat (teodozija familiar) supposed to appear, and possibly other backgrounds that haven't been entirely settled yet.

No. Stop. First, answer this. Were the gals cute?

Just rounding out the party pictures.

One eats people and the other is a Slayer with a personal grand daiklave from Ligier.
Run screaming away from both of them, do not stop for cute.

Is this the group with the Lunar waifus?

What's the favoured Yozi for each of them?

I sure hope that 3e Infernals scraps that stupid edgy shit in the first two-three chapters and just makes Infernals into over-the-top anti-heroes or villains who thrive on excess like they were in the other chapters.

They don't have Lunar waifus at present, but it is the group from rather less than serious pic related, if that's what you mean.

Fiend: Swillin'
Slayer: Kimberly
Scourge: Adoorjam

Any good Actual Plays of Infernals? Need some inspo for an Infernal Circle that will be opposing my Solar players.

Which Book is about the gods?

Games of Divinity in 1E, regurgitated in 2E's Books of Sorcery 4: Roll of Glorious Divinity I.

Check GoD first.

Kind of boring that the Scourge's favoured Yozi is the same as their Cast Yozi. But otherwise interesting.

I... don't think that's actually possible, even.

It'd be like Favoring Melee as a Dawn.

Hurrr I'm a durrr. Looking closer, I apparently wrote Adorjan because the Scourge's unfinished sheet only mentioned Adorjan; no favored Yozi is listed. In that case I dunno, will have to poke the player and ask.

Hope it's a fun Yozi like Hegra or Elloge.

Kimbery is good for a full yandere character, though.

There was a person a couple weeks back who posted a document where they'd gone and compiled 2e stats for most of the first circle demons. Does anybody have that document saved? I'm an idiot and I forgot to download it the first time it was posted.

Clever. But what happens when your character finally gets home, sees the words, "Home Base" painted on his front door and a hundred Raksha living in his house?

How do Infernals stack up against Solars in 3E?

They're way better, it's really fucked up how much of an Infernals fanboy Holden is, you'd think he was EarthScorpion.

2e Infernals still hae perfect defences

Who knows? Presumably Infernals, Abyssals and Solars will all be fairly comparable in terms of power and scale.

I was just reading Dreaming Pearl Courtesan and came to the prompt and clear conclusion that "natural language" is not, in fact, the problem with the Solar Charmset. I'd sum it up with this quote, from Demure Carp Feint:

>Successfully defending against or disengaging from an enemy whose Resolve is beaten by the martial artist’s Appearance grants her a point of Initiative, as her provocative elegance and sinuous grace gain her an improved footing.
>
>Mastery: When the martial artist gains Initiative with this Charm, her attacker loses a point of Initiative as well. When disengaging, all enemies whose Resolve is beaten lose the point of Initiative (although this does not increase the amount the martial artist receives).

See that bit at the end there? "(although this does not increase the amount the martial artist receives)"? That is exactly the kind of thing that is missing from the Solar Charmset. If Morke had written that Charm, that sentence wouldn't be there, and you'd sit there for a minute puzzling out with your group if it increased the amount of Initiative the martial artist receives, and come to some conclusion which would constantly vary between groups. But because Morke isn't writing the Martial Arts, the author intentionally notes and clarifies any ambiguities in how the Charm works rather than making you puzzle it out on your own.

Holden isn't autistic enough to be ES.

You're right, he's worse.

I don't care if you're saying one tastes worse than the other. Either way, you ate two pieces of shit.

He's more of a Sidereal's fan boy
>scene-long perfect defense

Wasn't that in an SMA? Isn't Vance doing those?

>But because Morke isn't writing the Martial Arts, the author intentionally notes and clarifies any ambiguities in how the Charm works rather than making you puzzle it out on your own.

Vance got a few things right but also made some other mistakes with the Martial Arts Charms, like referencing "Counterattacks" as if they were their own thing and had their own rules which means every group is going to have to sit around deciding when and how each Martial Art counterattack Charm functions.

It was one of those bullshit Greater Astrology Charms in the maidens book, which Holden crowed about how they were "greatest things he had written for the game line" and then he spent the better part of a week trying to defend the idea of a scene-long perfect defense even when people with much greater system knowledge and competency repeatedly tried to point out to him why the idea was stupid.

Sounds like something Holden might do. He has a history of blinding defending stupid bullshit. What's the name of the charm?

Yes.

>Vance got a few things right but also made some other mistakes with the Martial Arts Charms, like referencing "Counterattacks" as if they were their own thing and had their own rules which means every group is going to have to sit around deciding when and how each Martial Art counterattack Charm functions.
Yeah, that's wrong, but it's a different /kind/ of wrong. That's "I think this is a general system term, but it isn't." It's just ("just") factually wrong.

Morke's is "I understand this system, and I have an idea for this Charm, and I might even write it in such a way that a careful reading of it and every other Charm will eventually reveal its intent, but I *won't* just tell you what it does properly the first time." The technical term is "extraneous cognitive load."

Maiden and Gambler Stance in the Maidens book.

>Shaping

So won't work on anybody who matters, a'ight.