Do Astropaths have families?

Can Astropaths have families?
Rogue Dynasties, and Navigator Houses rely on having biological heirs, High-ranking Imperial Guard, Navy, and Nobility personnel do not differ from normal men in that regard. Inquisitors may or may not, it's a complex issue.

But what about astropaths? Do they even feel like having a significant other after staring into the warp, and being bound to the emperor? Is there a point to them having a descendant, or it's just another branch for the psychic pyre which is the Throne of Terra?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Maufrais
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Their kids will likely be taken by the black ships, they've experienced a fuckload of trauma themselves, and they're not exactly the most popular individuals being creepy blind mutants.

Really though, it'll depend on the Astropath.
A Feral World Astropath who works for a freedom loving Rogue Trader, and tries to rebuild his lost family/clan around himself will probably want such a thing.

A Forge World Astropath traumatised beyond belief would probably consider the thought remote at best.

I see no reason for them not to, aside from the mentally traumatized by the soul-binding aspect, and even critically mentally ill people are looking for love.
Depends on the individual, I guess.
The question is who, short of another astropath, would put up with a crazy diviner.

Slaves? Mutants? Abhumans? Naturally blind and crazy individuals?

Does Christian Weston Chandler continue his love quest?

Probably a chick with a Genestealer virus. Those sluts will fuck ANYONE.

Duty in all things user. Doesn't matter how much the concept of bringing a new life into existence once you've seen into the warp horrifies you. Those like you are necessary, for whatever purpose, so you screw your courage to the sticking place and do what is required of you.

I mean given how huge and the Imperium is it probably ranges from something like livestock breeding to more or less normal finding a nice abominable mutant you can settle down and raise cursed warp touched blasphemies with. I just wanted to use that Macbeth quote in a sexual context.

But user, then you'll get Tyrinaids!

That just brings up more questions. I mean, 40k has to be edgy because it's 40k but is every experience in the blackship so terrible where they literally nearly beat you to death?

I imagine such punishment is reserved for those who don't go willingly or show greater signs of mutation (if they're not outright killed). I wonder if it's possible to just go directly to the Pyskana without having to take a ride on a black ship.

The descriptions I've had of the Black ships is that the psykers spend years locked in individual cages. Which I didn't think was cruelty for the sake of cruelty, but because cages are easier than dealing with them walking around the ship.
They spend years because that's how long the ships take to get back to Earth.

As for skipping the Black Ships, that's probably possible if the psyker finds their own way to Earth that's quick enough for the Imperium. Which very few people could afford.

>The question is who, short of another astropath, would put up with a crazy diviner.
Now I'm imagining an Astropath couple with a child. They teach him/her well, trying to raise someone strong enough to be put through Soul Binding.

They get annoyed when the child becomes a sanctioned psyker.

I just read the lexicanum on the black ships which says they do circuits around systems and visit the planets there to take up the tithe of souls. I'm guessing they must have smaller ships that can react to on demand type calls because I distinctly remember in the Guant's ghost books that one of the Ghosts eventually became a psyker and the black ships were called in to pick him up.

While not stated as such I'd take that as my head cannon that smaller black ships pick up the psykers to fill the bigger ones that then go back to Earth because if it took more then maybe 2 or 3 years to get back to Earth it kind of ruins the scholasta's ability to train children into primaris psykers

The Black Ships are horrible vessels which drug up their passengers, then put them in a constant state of fear, despair and confusion, surround them with psy-dampers and nulls, and fly around for a year or two before dropping you off to be burnt out for the Astronomican, killed, or pressed into ignoble service as at best someone's pet, or more likely a high-amp psychic power cable where you'll burn out in less than 10 years.

>not sure if heretic

You expect us to coddle a potential walking apocolypse?

Chances of them to have relationships is low. They are tools of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica, moreso than most other people in the assorted institutions of the Imperium. On top of that you have to worry about the kids who are probably going to be psykers themselves (or at least suspected of being so). Who'd want to bring a kid into existence knowing that they're pretty much guaranteed to be nabbed by a Black Ship?

Those working on unorthodox ships (particularly Rogue Trader ones) may be able to have them, but they'll be the exceptions to the rule.

>"But Dad! I wan't to keep my eyes!"
>"I haven't raised some whiner. You are going to get Soul Bound to the Emperor, and you gonna love it."

Well I am actually asking it in preparing for a Rogue Trader game, so the Astropath in Question would probably be and Astropath Transcendant.

Then it's definitely possible, depending on how the Rogue Trader and crew view your character. Psykers are feared and reviled by all most people however, so if your character finds anyone then they're probably going to be relatively remarkable themselves.

Any relationship that transpires is also probably going to be kept hush hush, at least if your character's lover doesn't want to be lynched and/or ostracised and your character doesn't want word getting back to the institution that technically owns them. Secret associations are not at all out of place in a Rogue Trader game, of course.

>So, how was you day with those apes, son?
>Don't call them that, dad, they're brave men.
>I don't doubt it, but it's such a waste of your potential... Was carrying the Emperor's Will beneath you, that you chooe to mingle with lesser beings?
>Dad, I'm making a difference and I love my job. I'm not leaving the guard because you two disapprove of my career choice.
>Don't talk to me like that, young man. Look, you make your mother cry!
>She doesn't even have tearducts, dad! That's enough, I'll call you back later.
>YOU CAN'T DO THAT, FUCKWIT.

They have. They are an special kind of psyker necesary for the well being of the inperium. They have disnasties and families tied to thw schola psykana.
My source is the eye of terror novel ( that one about a rogue trader and an astropath

Interesting. I was just considering because I could imagine a lot of good and grand ambitions for all the other career-paths.

Navigators and Rogue Traders building their dynasties, Explorators looking for tech for the betterment of mankind. The Missionary spreading the faith to help keep the Imperium together. Even a Seneschal and the- Arch-Militant is easy to imagine as super ambitious profiteers, and soldiers of fortune.

But the Astropath Transcendant is only an extra-strong tool of the Astra Telepathica. I can't imagine him wanting anything but to serve and survive.

Aren't Astropath families incredibly prestigious, haughty and inbred?

I could have sworn they're one of the few psykers the Imperium not only allows, but cherishes.

That's the Navigators, that are an abhumain stain.
You can't go without them since warp travel without a navigator is risky, at best.

Astropaths are just standard human psychic; blackship cargo that didn't get triaged into "Emprah's food" or "battle guys".

I know that the Navigators are. They can look into the warp, and thus are absolutely necessary for every ship, which makes their constant supply imperative for the Imperium.

But they aren't actual psykers, all their powers come from their third eye, which is the whole reason they are inbred.

Not sure about Astropaths.

You sure they were Astropaths and not Navigators?

I think navigators are psykers. They draw their power from the warp, even if it's through the third eye.

They're psykerish, though they work quite differently and are certainly not seen as psykers by the institutions of the Imperium.

>Why do you deny yourself the touch of the Emperor himself ?

Now imagine the fit the parents throw if their boy gets picked up by an Astartes chapter, thus missing out on the pilgrimage to Earth to gaze upon the Emperor.

>Carlos.jpg

Actually, that would be a pretty cool character concept. An astropath father or mother going on battlezones to protect their sanctioned psyker child from warp corruption (soul binding ftw), despite being no warriors at all. Grimdark clingy parents.

If you want true grimdark, look up Raymond and Edgar Maufray on wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Maufrais

>Important people in a RT game are likely to be very remarquable themselves, and anyone from the crew or planets visited is likely to see the Ship Officer before seing the mutant.

Not saying that it can't become a sour relationship, but there will probably be a period where the other person will be blinded by all the bling.

Rought comparison : Inbreed noble making advances to a famished peasant girl in the middle ages.

Show me on the doll where the Emperor touched you.

>right in the fucking eyes