What class concept/identity/fantasy appeals to you the most, Veeky Forums?

What class concept/identity/fantasy appeals to you the most, Veeky Forums?

It would be Ranger for me. I've always liked the idea of being a pathfinder and have a hard-on for archers. Being a magic-user is a nice bonus too.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Pujol_García
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Level 1 human commoner. Anything else is edgy tryhard hipster weeabo faggotry.

Wizard. I love the idea of uncovering the secrets of the 'verse, without going mad of course.

To delve into ancient places filled to the brim with dusty tomes turns me on, I guess.

Druid.

Not a hippy by any means but I'd love to be able to use plant magic, befriend animals and make medicine for the local village out of herbs for cash.
Sadly plant magic is impossible, animals are assholes that just want food, and people would rather go to the clinic than the weird guy who lives in the forest.

Faggots.

Barrier Wizard. Wearing some light armor, carrying a spellbook, and throwing up shields to protect allies.

Rogue.

Ripping everyone off during major conflicts and skedaddling.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Pujol_García

Fighter.

Paladin. I like playing the good guy, faith and honor.

I just hate DMs who make their one objective in life to make the paladin fall.

The battlefield-controlling, sticky-as-hell, your-opponent-is-me, you-shall-not-pass, unstoppable, inexorable, juggernaut of a Fighter. Sword-and-board or Greatspear, depending on my mood.

>Being human

God what a power-fantasy faggot

CR 1/8 rat is the only way to play

As someone without faith of my own, any of the divine classes are super fun, Paladins especially so.

I wish the Inquisitor for Pathfinder or the Avenger from D&D 4e was a more common archetype, because that shit is fire.

Inquisitor.
The holy gumshoe detective mainly that uses skills of investigation to purge evil in the name of his god.

>he plays as an animal

Faggot. Level 0 monozoan or kill yourself.

I played an Inquisitor as a fluff Paladin with their intense knowledge of monsters. I've never played any of the Witcher games or read the books, but it would not have been dissimilar.

Goddamn, your dedication to proving that you don't play roleplaying games for power fantasy is inspiring.

Rogue. I've always loved the idea of using speed and agility in combat rather than strength or range. That and sneaking is perfect for getting around stuff and being too lazy to just kill everybody

Warlock. Love the idea of being an unconventional spellcaster who invokes the power of some great and terrible entity

I don't really have one in D&D, truth be told.

I guess I enjoy playing Paladins the most, although I usually play them more like Rabbis. Lots of arguing points of theological law. Paladin of Pelor of course.

Remember, the trick is to find a group you have fun with.

You like taking it in the ass, don't you user?

To clarify, It's like, my class is just my job and shit. It's not who I am, maaaaan.

I'm about an even split between paladin and arcane casters. I like the holy warrior stuff, and I also like the flashy blaster-caster stuff. My first ever D&D character was a celestial-heritage sorcerer who basically had the mentality of a paladin, the one time I got to play a gestalt campaign I did a sorcerer/paladin (going into a holy caster prestige class from BoED on the sorc side to boot), and currently I'm playing a magical girl (which is basically, again, a caster with the mentality of a paladin).

I like the Thief. I find fascinating the technical skills related to lockpicking, bypassing security, disabling traps, and stealing items of value, etc. I'm not too into the more "shadow ninja" edgelord bullshit that some people think a rogue is, I think the thief is all about acquiring wealth in a low-key, seedy, yet impressively professional way. Also, cheating. A thief should inherently be some kind of criminal or cheater who uses dirty, underhanded tricks to achieve his aims, like swiping enemy weapons before a fight so they're unarmed, or poisoning them, or spreading misinformation to confuse/manipulate people, etc.

I quite like clerics, since being devoutly religious in a fantasy setting makes perfect sense when your god can actually grant you supernatural power.
In particular I like the Kelemvor clerics from Forgotten Realms, who worship the god of the dead, but do it in a completely non-edgy way.
>The death clergy as they were known had many duties, most involve tending to the last wishes of the dying and providing burial services to those who die alone. They also set out to cure diseases and defend people from monsters so that folk did not die before their time.
>Their final and debatably most important task was the destruction of undeath in all its various forms as it was an affront to Kelemvor. Elite priests of Kelemvor were known as Doomguides. Servants of Kelemvor were usually clad in somber gray vestments and brandished hand-and-a-half swords, or bastard swords.

Another favourite is classes that can use Earth/Nature magic, since I reckon it's one of the strongest yet most underrated kinds of magic there is.

Paladin, because the Chosen One trope opens a nice rp path
Or barbarian, because I can't into charismatic people and like to RIP, TEAR and philosophise about muh path of the warrior

I like wizards in general, but my favorite archetype is the magical minionmancer. Whether that means a summoner, necromancer, mind controller, or Overlord, I just like being the guy that brings an army to a fight.

Shame about how hard that is to pull off in tabletop, though. Nobody like that guy whose turn takes half an hour because he's controlling a dozen fighters.

I'm with these guys.
That or a mix of magic and melee, throwing magic would be great but solid physical hits are nice too

I like the idea of the frontline tactitian. Things like the bard's inspire courage ability really appeal to that side of me.

If I could wade in to combat and make my friends better, it would be awesome.

Monks.

They take self sufficiency to a new level by tempering their bodies through exercise and magic to gain superpowers.

I like theirb minimalistic aspect.

I like the warlord from 4e.

Basically anything that does magical effects without a particular tradition, just balls of steel.

I need to find a way to make Gyro.

Combat Medic in all its flavors. I don't know what it is but I really enjoy playing someone who's martially capable but responsible for the health and well-being of the rest of the group. Usually alongside some quirk, which is another foible of mine.

I think I like casters that are limited to a single school or style of magic.

It allows you to have your niche where you're a powerful caster, but it doesn't make you some kind of amazing "key for any lock" kind of person.

Also any kind of class that gives you an intelligent companion, like a magic item or familiar, is always good.

Rogue, but for entirely different reasons: I have made my way through life by lying, cheating, stealing, and pretending to be something I'm not.

Too bad none of that is cool irl. You're probably an extremely unlikable prick

As snowflakey as it is, I've always liked the idea of sorcerers. I like the idea of having magic that works just because you want it to work, without needing all the study and dedication of a wizard. I like the idea of having strange powers and abilities you may not full understand like it's the X-men universe or something. I like the potential search to understand this power and it's origins. I like having charisma as my casting stat.

>I like having charisma as my casting stat.
That's because your dick is small.

Rogue -- assassin to be specific. I like keeping to myself, hiding in the shadows, and using skill/dexterity/finesse to kill rather than just strength.

You're not wrong, but I'm not trying to glorify it.

I'm miserable and I hate myself and my entire life is a lie. Don't be like me, kids.

Rogue

I love the idea of not having to depend on someone else other than myself (I'm not an edgy anti-religion guy, I just don't want to be bound by other entity's will), but I have never been strong or disciplined enough to carry an armour and weapon all day, or be locked into a library all day and night.

Also, I'm a literal nobody who happen to be more comfortable hiding on a dark corner. And cheating to win or get out of a fight is kosher on my book.

Wow, way to tear a person down. Not even the person you're replying to, but what makes Charisma casting any worse than the autists who use Intelligence as their casting stat? Or the landwhales who make a fighter with high strength and constitution?

That's only when I'm min/maxing. Normally I just play a dust mote and use dice rolls to simulate brownian motion.

>Its edgy and weeaboo to want to not be a boring normal person of no note or regard
Probably paladin, running around smiting evil wielding a giant axe, hammer, sword, mace, or something similar.

Cleric.

You know what would be nice, God? If instead of "Jesus loves you" and a pat on a burned kid's uncharred leg, I could say "Jesus loves you" and use some divine energy to return him to a non-crispy state.

Indeed, it is.

The ranger, true jack of all trades, the Bard would be fine except for all the.. well singing.

From history derived low fantasy settings get me going most of the time other things feel like bad fan fic shit.

I love the Artificer/Alchemist (3.5/Pathfinder) because i like the idea of building things like an engineer but with magic. Instead of the robes & spellbook, i run with light armor & a sling wands like a gunslinger. Wizards are too sage like to me. I prefer old fasion smarts.

Theres also a special place in my heart for paladins. My first character was a paladin of Pelor. Total badass.

Barbarian. I'm too stupid to be a spellcaster and am quite a short-tempered asshole, thus rages and shit.
Or fighter specializing on polearms. Poking people in the guts from relatively safe distance while defending my friends is cool.

>I like the idea of having strange powers and abilities you may not full understand like it's the X-men universe or something

How I WISH more people did this instead of just playing Sorcerers as an excuse to shamelessly indulge in their fur-tier dragon fetishes. I feel like 90% of the people who play sorcerers miss the intended narrative-feel for that kind of character archetype.

I'm more of the Paladin sort, because I like to protect others!

... or Blue Mages. Alternatively, cool and unorthodox casters.

I like the Bard. Not as the whimsical traveling performer but the adventuring storyteller that tells tales of their adventure at bars and taverns and uses a mix of support magic and whatever weapon will be the most useful.

The class is forever associated with that foppish character that just wants to play music at inappropriate times though.

So the skald subsclass?

One that trades the lute and memerizing for d8 hitdice and better weapon professions.

I've always identified with Druid since like Grade 2?

That's pretty much exactly it, although I started with 4e a few years ago and moved to 5e which doesn't have as many options so I never played that exact archetype. Usually I just used the Valor bard or multiclassed it with Paladin for the same type of character.

I know the feeling man, I'm way into rangers but having to chose between archery and "Drizzing" it up, no thanks, gimme a spear, hell make it a hand-harpoon/javelin so i can throw it too.

I'm more of a 1001 Arabian nights fighter.

Dude spears! I especially like the idea of a rogue with a javelin, and kind of sneak through tall grass and bushes, like a tribal hunter

"Why do you need so many swords, Rajab?"
"So I can throw them at my enemies, little one."

Fighters and Paladins, but my preference is for Antiquity- as opposed to Medieval-based fantasy. So my ideal fighter is a hoplite or legionary.

Behind those, I really like rangers and skrimishers.

Rogue. Especially a con man rogue. I've done a bit irl, but I guess I wish I had the charm of the fantasy version.

This.

I'm a pretty chill dude who just wants a goodberry and some little animal buddies. Plus shapeshifting is dope.

The humble and pious holy man. I just can not resist the call the Gods.

This might make me edgy but I've always wanted to be a nasty little goblin in any game I play. Do whatever you want and believe in reincarnation so it doesn't even matter if you die. They look cool, they're fierce, and they're pretty clever if they need to be. Would be fun to learn about goblin gods and society.

CWoD style Mages, Raildex espers, hackers, and sensible old warriors who now work as majordomos and courtiers.

Eldritch knights, of a certain fashion. I don't really like being "the fighter who knows fireball and magic missile" so much though.

I'll take a few buffs and a weak spammable blaster spell or something for when people like to play keepaway, sure, but I like my magic to be things a detective might like to have. Being able to look into the eyes of a dead man and see the last thing he saw, for example, or having a scrying ritual that lets me track where a target went so long as I have something oh his I can use as a focus. That kinda nonsense. Add in a familiar who can act as a scout/lookout for me and an intelligent magic sword that keeps track of my investigations and works as my personal bookkeeper/assistant when we're not fighting necromancer cults or whatever? I'm golden.

Whichever is the comic relief one.

> being animate

I don't think I've got any particular preferences, you can come up with a cool concept for pretty much every combinations of race and class. Yes, even Dragonborns.

I'm a sucker for mystical naturalists. Druids, Shamans, etc; folks that gather power from the world around them but do so in humility and respect for the things and creatures they work with. If I go arcane, it's usually a thematic caster with some kind of element. If I go warrior, I'll still probably have some kind of mystical element; fey blood, animal companions, supernatural insights, etc. Rogues by way of animal forms or nocturnal spirit guides.

50% of the character concepts that i have are half-elf wizard explorers.
From the same family tree nonetheless.

I guess that answers that.

As to why:
I'm currently not able to explore space or the deep sea. (not that those programs receive a lot of funding anyway)
And the rest has been pretty much explored.
Yet exploration is something that has a magical pull on humans, and i happen to be especially attracted to the promise of discovery.
And wizards are cool because they're as close as you can come to engineers/scientists in fantasy.

>that sudden realization that majority of your characters and potential ones are Dwarfs

It wasn't like this a few years ago, i was normal then and liked playing human characters.

I really like rangers too, especially when they go hard in the folk/hedge magic.

Hugely independent/self-reliant people with a ton of useful skills and if they have magic I prefer it to be this really practical yet subtler magic that can be used more or less as desired - like most cantrips. I love the hell out of cantrips. RuneQuest 6es Folk Magic in particular has some good stuff. Simple spells like sharpening a blade, making a little light, heating up your food, making your arrows burst into flame when you fire them. DnD 5es rangers make me a little sad here because they don't even have cantrips but I don't play DnD anyways so whatever.

Although I still have an overall fondness for Wizards and play them much more. Magic is just always this fun stuff in systems capable of doing a bunch of awesome things, although a lot of the time the power levels of wizards scale so high out of control they don't really feel fun or comfortable any more. Like I don't really have any interest in leveling mountains or creating demiplanes and then messing with world-threatening demons or something.

GMs do that for the very same reason shitstomping Elves has so much popularity here. It is infuriating to have a "NO, EVERYTHING I DO IS GOOD, I CAN'T FALL EVER, I'M THE STRONGEST AND MOST HOLY AND BEST" character at your table.

Monk, rogue or wizard/sorcerer. Not warlock though, because I don't like the idea of my power being "borrowed" from some entity.

I actually specifically only like spellcasters that made some sort of deal to get their powers. It always lends itself to some interesting stories about biting off more than you can chew.

Am I the only one who likes to play multi-class?

The more classes the better. Fighter-mage-thief-cleric for life.

if I could play every class simultaneously without penalty I would.

That's stupid. You are stupid.

"if I could be everything without penalty I would"
riveting

Cleric or priest. I like support classes and being able to sense and ward evil in the world. Maybe an alchemist but I don't know how I'd play one.

If we're not bound by pure fantasy concepts, then a Superscientist. More Hank Pym than Tony Stark though.

I agree with you. Roguezard for life.

Druid
I just want to go trip on mushrooms in the forest all day, talk to animals and make plants grow man. It sounds comfy as fuck.

You should really just play a classless system at that point.

More like roguetard* amiright?

maybe.

Paladin. Along with having a good mix of magic and brawn, having your principles tied directly to your class fluff gives everything you do a sense of purpose.

Cleric.

It's like being a doctor except you don't generally have to do gross surgery business and everyone loves you.

>Fighters and Paladins, but my preference is for Antiquity
You. I like you.

Paladin all they way, not the fighting or the magic parts but the honor and justice and not being some fucking murder hobo. Having that ability to stand up when the world pushes you down is really great.

"Why the hell do you care? No one else does?"
"Someone has too."

It's ok if it's "I'll give you this much power in exchange for whatever", but I don't like "I'll keep siphoning power to you as long as you stay obedient". It leaves too great opportunity for the GM to fuck you over.

What up, nigga.

Obviously your main stat isn't your self esteem nerd LMAO

Bards, there's something to being the face of a party that appeals to me so much, I'm into tabletop for the character interactions, not the rolling and killing

>someone has to
They really don't. If I'm playing someone with convictions, right or wrong I'd rather they own it themselves. I like the idea that there's an underlying understanding of the absurd in paladin-level faith.

Ignore the other user, you're a cool guy.

Monk. I want to make myself the weapon, and not rely on a weapon that can dull, or a bow that runs out of arrows. I want to be the man who you see bring the knife to gunfights and win, or make the fight no happen anyway through diplomacy.

Or, if I'm a caster, I wanna be an elementalist and use smoke manipulation.

I browse /k/ regularly.

Gunslinger, bruh.

Man dangerously wielding two flails at the same time.

For most of my life I was really into the idea of wizards but the last few years I've been getting into shamans and priests more. Maybe it's something to do with their connection to a higher power rather than self study

Just dealing with this crazy bitch, and then we'll do some chariot races my homie.

Monk, Sorcerer, Gifted Blade Soulknife, Magus (Esoteric Magus, yum)....so many choices.

Of course, there is one class that would be utterly depraved and totally magical realm.

So of course I'd have to play a Thrallherd.