CYOA General

Last Thread: pastebin: pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8iO5-ic0Ug4
youtube.com/watch?v=2DIL9yteJdE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So this doesn't get buried with the old thread.
Here's what I've got of a WIP after a little spit and polish. It's not done, as I forgot to finish the guides and will do the math balancing when I'm not drunk. On the plus side, if you see any glaring omissions, let me know and I'll consider what could be done to make it fit.

Sorry it took a while, ended up having to get rent money out of a roommate, which was like trying to get blood from a brick.

After I get all the math and shit figured out, I'll do a crusade for images. But that probably won't be until next weekend.

Does anybody have the newest author CYOA?

The warm wait for 1.25 continues.

I'm interested, but it's going to take a while to read this.

>Spiny Barbed Asshole entry

Amusing.

I want to make a build, but I'm not sure if I understand the magic section. Can someone explain it to me?

S'alright. It's a lot of text. But thankfully it's only 19 pages right now.

Drunk me thinks he's really funny. Sometimes, I'm inclined to agree.

Under the normal system, whenever you perform an action, you gain experience in the associated skill.

Under the magic system, you can pick one skill that will give you bonus XP that can be assigned to ANY skill. So meditating will level up your meditation skill, but you can also choose to train your Cooking skill when you meditate. You can build up a surplus of XP by meditating, and use it to level any skill you want at some later date.

>Aura of Automation
>No Fucks Given
>Constantly Cozy
>Who Needs the Gym?
>NEET Blessing

I'm not sure about everyone else, but this is the best choices you could make to live the rest of your life not having to worry about a damn thing. The only way this could get better is if I could choose Mmm, Tastey as a bonus.

Ah, so when I train my magic skill, I can either level it up or one of my other skills? And I get semi cool powers for it? Sounds nice.

Anyone know if there are any quality guides for making interactive CYOA's?

Interactive CYOA? Like a program?
I think the only one I've seen is the Magical Realm one.

Class: Driver
Trades
Melee Combat
Driving

Magic:Acting

This looks really fucking neat, and I'm excited to see the end result, Spacefuture user.
Godspeed, motherfucker.

And thank you for introducing me to Protomen. I don't know how I lived before today.

Oh and tutorial amy i guess.

Personally, I'd trade No Fucks Given for Slept Like a Baby, but I'm an insomniac and it'd save me a fortune on sleeping pills.

At least you're on something now insomniac user. Good to hear.

If beri is still there, could you answer this:
The "chores" option, like Fantasia dreams, could I ask to change from time to time? Like, normally ask her for Adventure dreams but, when I'm over worked ask for Reality Plus to give me more time to do some of the mental work.

Skills: Computer Use, Medicine, Science
Class Name: youtube.com/watch?v=8iO5-ic0Ug4
Magic: Research
Tutorial: Alice

I really want to make cyborgs and robots.

Oh shit, I forgot I left that in. Here's another: youtube.com/watch?v=2DIL9yteJdE

Thanks, man. I'm excited to get it to a working state. Just not anticipating the math. I'll probably end up just plugging it into a spreadsheet.

Pills is great. And these ones interact well with booze, which is even better. Love a nice, cozy drink of some cider or something before bed. It's great stuff.

Please ignore it, I asked before finish reading the page...

>Pills is great. And these ones interact well with booze, which is even better. Love a nice, cozy drink of some cider or something before bed. It's great stuff.
Don't they tell you not to mix alcohol and medicine?

Class Name: Merchant
Magic: Rhetoric
-Communication
-Trades
-Social Science

Tutorial: Donna

>Class: Demigod
Skills
>Medicine
>Trades
>Melee Combat
>Magic: Pain tolerance
>Tutorial: Peggy

I'll be honest, the only reason I chose Medicine was the potential for Immortality. The way the beings said natives makes me think there will be others, and in such a case I am likely to work with people like to further our goals.

The real focus of my build is pain tolerance. You see, when one exercises for long periods of time, pain tends to happen. By building up a supernatural resistance to it, I shall be able to push my body to new heights. I will become even stronger, faster, and more enduring than ever before.

Alternatively, I could just pick meditation and constantly make myself motivated and energetic. In fact, I should probably do that instead.

Apparently it's just a huge dose of natural neurohormones, which apparently don't get all fucky like other pills do when you drink.

I really hated not being able to drink for months when on the other pills. Plus those barely worked. These ones work like a cure.

In hindsight, I probably should have chosen a better class name.

Does anyone have the new dominion master?

What are the top 10 cyoas in general in /cyoag/? What are the top 10 fantasy cyoas? The top 10 pure waifu (waifu focused only) cyoas? And the top 10 sci-fi cyoas?

"IN COMPARISON TO YOU I AM A DEMIGOD!"
"Really."

Build plan, since I didn't really mention that.

Rhetoric, Communication, and Social Science all lend towards being able to talk my way out of (or into) a situation, while Trades (and Social Science, to an extent) actually lets me do anything with the sheer power of my charisma.

Considering how Donna seems to pop up in almost any field of business, they seem like the type to have the most effective advice for that field, which is why I chose her.

I couldn't think of a name that fit with what I was going for at the time. Medic sounded wrong as I was only using medicine to reach immortality. I should have called it masochist.

Masochist works better.

In fact, on closer inspection, I feel like this build is just a mess of unrelated skills and terrible naming. I'm going to rebuild and repost it later.

Honestly, I don't think its that bad. If you swap out Trades for Athletics (also keep pain resist) I could see it as a fitting set of skills for a "Masochist" class.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Though upon reading the cyoa in further detail, the word reincarnations stuck out. I guess I don't need to take medicine. Which means I can take something else.

Thank you.

>Gaia
>Illusion
>Acoustics
>Large
>Celestial
>Bestial

Perks
>Magical Prowess
>Perception Prowess
>Charisma Prowess
>Corruption
>Domain Control
>Hybrid
>Empowerment x2

Minions
>Petite
>Humanoid
>Average
>Celestial
Mooks
>Scouts (Faeries)
>Soldiers (Faeries) x2
>Servants (Faeries)
>Recruiters (Faeries)
Elites
>Sorcerers (Fallen Angels)
>Agents (Faeries) x2
>Harem (Fallen Angels) x2
Lieutenants
>Chosen (Fallen Angel)
>Hunter (Faerie)
>Witch (Faerie)

Minion Perks
>Appearance
>Talented (Corruption)
>Specialty (Charisma)
>Native
>Devotion

Realm Perks
>Large
>Hidden
>Legendary

Complications
>Rumours

>once a angelic harp player from heaven
>seduced by the wild freedom of the fairy folk
>now live in remote corner of magical forest
>adventurers seek out my realm to drink from the Fountain of Youth
>the path to the fountain is illuminated by enchanting music
>it is a long journey full of detours, distractions, and corrupting influences
>the weak are led astray into the forest and never heard from again
>the strong are offered eternal life and youth in exchange for something supremely important to them

Idk if having my own realm is even all that necessary. I'd probably be happy just being one of the more powerful "boss" types living in another magical-forest-of-the-fey type realm.

Character Class:
Legalist

Skills:
Humanities/Social Science/Athletics

Magic:
Pain Tolerance

Tutorial:
Peggy

What do I care for suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: I have received the information, now I must act on it. Take control of the input and become master of the output.

Rebuild of >Class: Masochist
>Skills: Melee Combat, Athleticism, Medicine.
>Magic: Pain Tolerance
>Tutorial: Peggy

Pain Tolerance is my bread and butter. For you see, when one exercises too much, one feels pain. If one were to remove that pain, than the limits of the human body can be pushed even further than before. With this in mind, I push my body even further than ever before, Constantly gaining experience for my magic and Athleticism. In the end, I shall be far stronger than other classes, and nothing will stop me. Except for my own lack of motivation, of course.

Lets keep going with some larger-than-life waifus!

user, that's an old version. You're missing two pages

Enhancements and Mutations were split into two pages.

>tfw not skilled enough to make a cyoa about the reader being turned into a Shota and has to deal with possessive/obsessive lolis/big breasted onee-chans/and etc.

Sounds like something for /d/. I know several of them are working on their own CYOCs, why not swing by and ask around?

Please do.
It doesn't even have to be good. I can help you out with GIMP if you need me.

It's okay user, you'd never be able to interest me in such a CYOA no matter how skilled you were. Keep trying, though.

Something where if you click on an option it moves to another page with just options that suit the one you clicked beforehand like say you click water Mage and it comes up with different types of water magic to choose from (ice, healing, whatever) and hopefully even keep track of everything

Name: Emped
computer
athletics
arts

Magic: Sex.

Tutor: Sophie.

Hersi + Abduction.

No other choices matter, because pretty soon the magical police are going to figure out what is going on and I'm going to be imprisoned and executed. Until then however I will use my personal Death Note to start killing rulers and infamous criminals who are responsible for crimes against peace. Kim Jong-un, Joseph Kony, El Chapo, Barack Obama -- people like that. Plus their entire families, just to make a point. My sacrifice will make the world a better place.

Really, you could probably make one with HTML without much of an issue, or flash if you have a program for it. RAGS would work fine, is frequently used for lewd games, and I think the editor is free. Hell, you might be able to do it with PowerPoint!

If you don't have any coding skill consider writing the script and gathering any relevant images you want, then ask someone to do the coding.

Alrighty thanks user

Relax, user. She never gets caught.

Hey tg what are:
The top 10 CYOAS?
The 10 most shitstorm inducing CYOAS?
And the top 5 CYOA authors?

Again, this is subjective. You could ask for favorites though.

I'm with you 3/5
>Aura of Automation
>Just Plain O'l Luck
>Subspace Housing
>Who Needs the Gym?
>NEET Blessing

Subspace Housing means I've always got a well-appointed home and Aura of Automation means it'll always be reasonably clean and well maintained. NEET Blessing gives me a life-long stable income of about $180,000/year. That right there is everything I need.

The bonuses are Who Needs the Gym? so that I won't lose the benefits of working out if I skip a few sessions or eat like a pig, and Just Plain O'l Luck should give me a boost in the other aspects of my life, from health to romance to recreation.

The thought of using Sola's holy light to kill Fei La excites me in ways that it shouldn't.

Personally, I'd like to keep working my job while at the same time finally owning my own house, so:
>Aura of Automation
>Mmm, Tasty
>Subspace House
>NEET Blessing
>Who Needs the Gym

With the house and Mmm, Tasty, you could nearly live for a thousand years.

Bumping for more serious CYOA's and less Waifu CYOA's

5? Hmm
Subspace House
NEET Blessing
Just Plain O'l Luck
Who Needs the Gym
Aura of Automation

>The top 10 CYOAS?
See Adding Magical Realm to the list makes 10.
>The 10 most shitstorm inducing CYOAS?
I couldn't point out 10 definitively, but lewd and waifu cyoas tend to cause shitstorms, in my own personal experience.
>And the top 5 CYOA authors?
Just my opinion, in no particular order:
Highlander
Scientist
Ordion
Spacefuture user
Lurlspessrefuge

They're mah niggas. They also don't seem to shitpost, like, at all, which gets them a gold star/brownie point/internet in my book.
Not naming names, but SDA shitposts so much it'll make your head spin. Either that or the real SDA died, and there's a bunch of career trolls parading as SDA. Hard to tell without a trip.

Power Armour and Monster Hunter definitely belongs in that list.

My personal top 10:
>Domain Master
>Overlord
>StarDust
>Monster Hunter
>Order vs Chaos
>Space Refuge
>Magical Realm
>Power Armour (any version)
>Island
>In a prison

The 10 most shitstorm inducing CYOAS
All popular ones create shitstorms one way or another. Best shitstorms are done through PvP/Waifus.

And the top 5 CYOA authors
In my opinion, considering both quality and consistent quantity and ignoring any shitposting. Won't name names because that's pointless drama/attention.

>Skills
Computer Use
Humanities
Social Science

>Magic
Lucid Dreaming

>Tutrial
Sophie

>Time to go all history major on this biatch.

Almost my choices exactly but after consideration I'd probably take the Mmm, Tasty instead of luck just for the extended life span and health.

Forgot to name myself:
>Historian

I'll take the egg and have it hatch into a shape-shifting succubus with limitless sexual powers.

I knew something's gone terribly wrong with /cyoag/ the day someone posted this, originally intended to be a parody of wish fulfillment CYOAs, and people complained about none of the choices fulfilling their wishes ENOUGH.

Mage recommendation sounds like the best path to individual power
but it also takes work.. eh I'll still take it. though Title sounds comfy.

>part of the appeal of cyoas is wish fulfillment and power fantasy
who knew

It's okay, user. If you keep posting what you want, someone will surely do it for you!

>Someone writes a waifu CYOA
>Feel compelled to choose one just because they need to be protected, but it's not the one I want.
Man this is an abstract type of suffering.
Someone tell me all waifus get picked eventually

This gets mentioned anytime that cyoa is posted. Why is that?
Who are you trying to bait, and why?
A quick archive search says the cyoa was "the first wish-fulfilment cyoa". That doesn't add up to what you said.

No waifus get picked in reality, because they don't exist. She's not suffering other than in your imagination. Just pick the one you want.

A thread late, but I agree with this anonymous's suggestion for multiple girls. Perhaps an alternative to the Library/Welfare/Home option to instead get a second roommate. In keeping with the theme though, I'd say you should only be able to get the the benefits from one girl, or if you were to be more generous maybe only get to pick from the second girl's gift row. The main benefit would be that certain combinations would be fun. For example, Yin and Hersi would probably get along interestingly(assuming they don't kill each other).

CYOAs before it had wish fulfillment elements which proved divisive. I believe was meant to poke fun at them by making all the options nothing but 120% over the top wish fulfillment.

Remember, this was back when the most common type of CYOAs were desert island and zombie apocalypse ones, and "waifu choices" were considered trap options because choosing a companion for their sex appeal would mean giving up a potential companion with survival/combat abilities. For further reference, consider that the most common paradigm back then was that in all CYOAs you play yourself as yourself by definition, not an idealized immortal dickgirl elf version of yourself (for a while, there was a trend of mentioning something like that at the top of a CYOA, until it became so par the course people just began assuming it).

That's not how it works, user! You have to try harder than that if you want to comfort someone!

Final rankings, on the off chance someone cares:

1. Jeanne – Basically completely compatible with me; all the gifts are dealbreakers. (Surprisingly, what I want the most is actually the Desire Compass, not the fetish bait.)
2. Melody – This is the greatest (nonsexual) desire I have. Too bad I have no talent.
3. Hex – More fetish bait. I am completely okay with this.
4. Harmony – I have so many multiplayer games I wanna play.
5. Kataline – Because cat is justice. Wait, is that not how the saying goes?
6. Pan – I really want a Mother 4, Season 2 of tons of anime, and also bread that actually tastes like not-cardboard.
7. Miya – Really went above and beyond. Very well written. But I don't drink...
8. Avarice – You might think I love her for her money but I know what I really love her for: it's the fetish bait. And also the money.
9. Fei La – 200% LUST. Not a bad thing though.
10. Yin – I want to protect that increasingly disturbing smile.
11. Fantasia – Dreamers… they never learn.
12. Medi – Hello, nurse!
13. Mishe – Of course the Beri CYOA is biased towards the slimegirl.
14. Bedlam – I’m probably already insane anyway.
15. Oki – Great choice, but the CYOA is bursting with greater options.
16. Eve – A beautiful, extremely dark, twisted fantasy.
17. Apis & Mel – OH GOD NOT THE BEES
18. Diane – Science is fun!
19. Lyze – Fetishy, but I do kind of mind her dark past. Sue me. Or, well, stone me in this case? Wait, don't actually do that.
20. Floof – Touch fluffy wing.

21. Caldera – I’d love her more if I wasn’t so afraid of burning down my house.
22. Twile – See Oki.
23. Beyn – She’s a big girl.
24. Alice – Alice in Winter Wonderland!
25. Chirp – To be honest, harpies kind of freak me out.
26. Yuki – She sounds like an ice person.
27. Buoy - She's a cute little destructive cinnamon roll.
28. #053 "Bunny" – We're bringing sexy back, minus the "y."
29. Omne – Really nice. I'm not sure I'm ready for the responsibility though.
30. Bloom – I really like her personality, but I'm really not good at taking care of plants or pets.
31. Gia – I was never into the whole steampunk thing… I do think the technology she introduces could be wonderful though.
32. Kaila – DON'T LOSE YOUR WAAAAAAAAY
33. Andrea – Now I'm feeling really bad that she's this low.
34. Chere – She's a nice girl, but she's a hippie who's against nuclear power (/s) (but seriously though I'm just not feeling compatibility, nothing wrong with her)
35. Hersi – Hahaha wow look at the time g2g gg guys
36. Sola – Dude, I’m on Veeky Forums. I really hate sunlight because it reminds me of going outside.
37. Lillan – Minigirls just aren't my thing. Sorry.
38. Flo – I just really dislike the sound of squeaky plastic.
39. Falchion – I'm a lover and I am also not a fighter. There, now it's logically correct. Plus, I'm really sensitive to injury...
40. Saki – Doesn't appeal to me that much. I get why she does so, but constantly insulting the entire planet's population is kind of annoying.
41. Ennui – I really like her herself, but I’m scared of everything and I'm probably going to end up with a fatal heart attack very soon if I pick her. I wouldn't want her to go through that...

>the most common paradigm back then was that in all CYOAs you play yourself as yourself by definition
There are people who don't do that? Why?

You're trying to comfort yourself, remember? Work smarter, not harder.

Sorry user, I'm stupid, so hard work is all I got going for me.

Presumably some variation on "if a CYOA wouldn't allow you to play a perfect person who is beautiful, powerful, immortal, gets all the ladies and is also omnipotent, why would you ever want to play it, you grognard jerk"?

I think that's in favor of the opposite.

This saddens me.

Thanks for posting that. It was nice to read.

I'll post the typo-fixes on my lunch break.

Cool.

It's generally reversed on /cyoag/. The grognards are the ones who want to return to the first days of choice games, so they're usually the ones in favor of making things as harsh and uncompromising as possible. Pic related.

CYOA threads are about escapism, which implies some level of discontent with the status quo.

Some people are dissatisfied with their present circumstances, some people are dissatisfied with themselves.

I think, maybe, many of the people in the latter category have basically given up on themselves. The only way escapism wouldn't be tainted by self-hatred for these hypothetical people is not to imagine being different, but rather someone else entirely.

And then, there are those who simply enjoy roleplaying. Either for entertainment or for an escape from problems that the cyoa is unable to offer an answer to.

No, I mean, the people who want the be the perfect beautiful immortal little girl choices would tend to want the CYOA heap that shit on them, not onto some other character that isn't them.

CYOAs have improved over time; the nay-sayers should recognize that. Just see Traveler, or compare old Necromancer to the more recent version.

It is the community that has declined.

>CYOAs have improved over time
>Just see Traveler
lmao