MTG Modern General

Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

SCG Orlando Modern Open Top 32
>sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t[C1]=28&start_date=09/16/2016&end_date=09/18/2016&start=1&finish=32&event_ID=47&city=Orlando&state=FL&start_num=25&start_num=0&limit=32

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Primers:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

FULL Kaladesh spoiler
>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/kaladesh

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-09-16-esper-combo/
vandalhigh.com/blog/2015/7/3/the-problems-with-artist-pay-on-magic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What's the strangest working deck you've ever played against?

>inb4 that dude shitposts his own spellweaver helix deck again

I dont even know he called it but i played against some guy at my lgs who was playing a deck i had never seen before.
He was running full playsets of kor firewalker and blood moon, ajani elspeth and nahiri and land destruction package.
I dont know how well he did against others but his deck was basically designed to beat burn so i got stomped.
Also restore balance is a hilariously jank deck that can still win

>8 rack in 7th

hahahahaha god bless America

I kinda want to see that.

I wonder if the Masterpiece series will do anything to prices now that they are in every set.

Probably not...

Even if they prevented prices from rising i would be happy. They probably wont but i think its the best we can hope for.

At most, they'd maybe shake loose a few copies of cards that would otherwise be stuck in EDH decks as EDH players swap them out for the shinier versions.

They will lower the price of standard cards that would likely to see play in modern.

They are smart enoguh to not put them on SoI where the best modern card in standard is, so we still have to chase the important cards

Lantern

What would bbe replace in jund decks? Do you think it would be as much a staple as it was before the ban if it was unbanned?

Infect is fucked boys! Buy your tron lands now.

I think RB got better once it started running the Nahiri package.
I was playing the deck before SoI and adding in a bunch of walkers was usually a pretty good option, the deck just needed something to push it into "semi-viable"

either this or hierarch and inkmoth both see 30% price bumps

>SoI where the best modern card in standard is

But user, mad lumberjack is from EM

I'm surprised nobody online is writing articles about infect after Orlando
All I've seen is comments about Bant Eldrazi and stuff like Zoo and Burn
Hierarch hasn't changed in price either, I figured it'd go up a few bucks

I can't imagine they want to fuck the deck hard enough to ban Glistener Elf, so it's probably just Become Immense or Mutagenic Growth getting taken out.

Banning Inkmoth wouldn't stop the real problem they're having with early kills, and it would hurt Affinity as a bystander, so they're not likely to do that. Blighted Agent and all the other pump spells are more-or-less "fair" comparatively.

It would be utter cancer. It would probably replace 1 of the copies of a few things due to it essentially being an extra copy of a random card on the list.

>BBE into kommand
>3 for 1

fuck man.

I was thinking BE if they wanted to fuck with Suicide Black but the deck isn't really putting up the numbers so I don't know if they want to mess with that
They might just leave the deck as is, it's really strong but they might want to keep it in the format to police slow decks

no idea, but it would be really good. There's more broken shit to hit than ever. Imagine getting this into lili, decay, goyf, command, terminate

>They might just leave the deck as is, it's really strong but they might want to keep it in the format to police slow decks

It'll still do that fine without Become Immense or Mutagenic. Right now it's so fast it's policing other fast decks.

I love running Hibernation in my sideboard. So good against bogle decks.

I love running guttural response in my boggles side board. So good against blue.

>playing bogles

>playing blue

Enduring Renewal with blood artists and zula-port cutthroats, then playing X cost creatures for 0 until the enemy died. Incredibly bad against counter magic, but I wasn't running any.

They might actually hit Apostle's Blessing
It sounds weird, but the card can act as a 1 colorless mana counterspell against a lot of decks. One of the problems with the deck is that it can kill on turn 3 with protection, and since most of the decks in the format run path and bolt instead of blue counters, the card does a lot of work. Taking it out would make the deck a lot riskier while still retaining it's speed

lost as AN vs some red white hand dump aggro
probably misplayed one of the games though

Phyrexian mana was a mistake

Why does no one ever discuss banning Lilly? Seriously she's a plague on Modern.

Because git gud.

So was Delve
Really makes you think about what exactly R&D is doing

>Really makes you think about what exactly R&D is doing

Constantly and consistently undervaluing cost-reduction effects.

Worrying more about standard, edh, and limited. If you notice, Ruse Cruise wasn't banned in limited nor standard.

Sometimes they'll intervene and push shit like Eldrazi Winter, since they knew that OGW and BFZ wouldn't sell shit without a pushed as fuck tribe.

Hooting mandrills is a better card than tarmogoyf

I didn't know MtG designers played Lightsworns.

Their biggest problem is they only test for sealed, draft, and standard. So stuff like phyrexian mana is less "good" (because life totals matter more), delve is less of an issue (when you cant usually fill your graveyard as quickly), etc.

And I really think that the people testing these cards are legitimately bad players. They constantly push standard strategies that never actually work (see BR Vampires), make terribad metagame predictions (Mardu dominating KTK standard), and are completely blindsided by cards they thought were awful (Collected Company).

What they need to do is hire a bunch of pro players to test this shit, instead of game designers who seem to have no clue about basic game theory.

Can confirm that even game designers that SPECIALIZE in card games will routinely miss combos that pro players spot in seconds.

You NEED that sort of high-level testing just as much as you need the low-level testing.

Eh, the reason phyrexian mana is worse in draft isn't the life. Even if git probe or mental misstep were free they wouldn't be priority picks in draft. It's that most of the spells do niche things so they're not super useful in draft, but in a constructed format it means decks that want those things, but shouldn't have them for color reasons, get them.

Or how they thought that Eldrazi in modern wouldn't have been as dominant as it was with Eye and Temple

Fuck off maro

They admitted that they knew it was going to be strong though, they did right after the ban

Seriously though, I think Blessing is one of the best cards in the deck, despite only being at 2-3 copies. Mostly likely though they'll want to hit BI bc kneejerk

I'm going to be a retard and waste my money on buying cards in speculation of a possible sfm unban. I already got my 4 sfms from the recent gps but I'm wondering which and how many of her common tutor targets I should get. So far I already happen to have a batterskull, and a sword of fire and ice.

>BBE into Thoughtseize when my opponent is hellbent
>4 mana 3/2 that ETB made me lose 2 life
Fuck man

Where did the Jund player touch you? Poor Boggles player.

RDW faggot here last time i posted this i wrote it wrong but out of the cards i already have can someone help me optimize my deck i already know naya burn is what i should be playing thats not what i'm asking
Decklist:
4 eidolon of the great revel
4 monastery swiftspear
4 lightning bolt
4 lava spike
4 shard volley
4 rift bolt
4 hellspark elemental
3 magma jet
3 skullcrack
2 grim lavamancer
3 searing blaze
4 vexing devil
20 land

Sideboard:
3 leyline of punishment
1 spark elemental
1 skullcrack
1 pillar of flame
3 searing blood
2 roast
1 searing blaze
2 smash to smithereens
1 ball lightning

Other cards i have
1 leyline of punishment
3 pillar of flame
4 crumble to dust
4 keldon marauders
3 ball lightning
1 magma jet
1 searing blood
3 spark elemental
Thanks helping i'm also willing to buy cards that are good for ghis deck

>You may cast

>Ban Apostle's Blessing

I don't think that'd really change much.

Blessing is much, much better than that

Are you retarded?

Are you?

I cannot get over how absolutely terrible this art is

Yes and no. Blessing is better against on-board defenses, allowing you to push through creatures, and against Pyroclasm effects.

Blossoming Defense still keeps you from eating Bolt or Path, can even save you from some Pyroclams effects and it contributes to your gameplan even when you're not dodging removal.

Of course, Blessing is also better with Inkmoths, but there's enough you're getting with Defense that getting rid of Blessing won't hurt the deck much altogether. It's a very small reduction to the deck's potential, rather than a legitimate speedbump they need to make.

>game designers who seem to have no clue about basic game theory.
>game theory

I know it sounds good in that sentence but you should probably search what game theory is. it doesn't have much to do with this, only a tangential relationship.

So issues with your argument here-
1. Blessing has that phyrexian mana, you can play it in literally every deck. Keeping up 1 is a lot easier than keeping up G
2. It protects artifacts, blanking kommand and other naturalize effects.

Blessing is a better general answer to many decks, but Defence is still good.

I have no idea what the art is even showing. Is the shield providing hexproof? I don't see the shitskin elf channeling the power of the natural world or aether. It's just doing a generic action pose. Looks like extra theros art.

Is it possible to make Golgari aristocrats competetive without CoCo?

Currently trying to brew one, despite CoCo prices plummeting I'm not sure if I even want to spend that much on those.

>you can play it in literally every deck

We're only talking about it's application in Infect. Nobody was ever calling for banning Blessing because it's a good side deck card for Affinity sometimes.

>What would bbe replace in jund decks?
Probably cut some removal and Kalitas.
>Do you think it would be as much a staple as it was before the ban if it was unbanned?
They would jam 4 in every list ever. Probably.

The point is that it isn't always a 3/1. The card isn't going to hit Kommand every time you use it.

If you're playing a green creature heavy deck filled with cheap creatures, you need to really get out of your way to not have CoCo in the deck. Sure, it's possible not to play CoCo, but why would you?

I'll trade you some if you have any Ad Nauseam pieces

Yeah, sometimes it's just a 2 for 1 that MIGHT be a 3 for 1 by hitting a Lilly or something.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-09-16-esper-combo/

Something like this then?

And sometimes it's an over costed 3/2 haste with no abilities. It's fine. Hand disruption is almost always a dead cast off this thing, and removal is a dead cast unless your opponent has a creature out. And in this meta game if you're opponent has a threat on board worth terminating and you tap out for a 3/2 and don't hit a hard removal spell you're fucked.

So even SCG is calling out Modern for it's bullshit. When PSully and Cedric straight up shit on your format on stream and can't even comment on games seriously, you know is currently a dumpster fire.

You don't seem to understand. Bloodbraid Elf did not start its life on the ban list, it EARNED its spot. You can make all the Deathrite Shaman fueled arguments you like, but BBE didn't catch it for nothing.

In terms of sanctioned Modern, I think I'm done. I've played a wide number of competitive decks.

The one deck I haven't been able to play is Jund. I never had Goyfs or Bobs and I was fine with that. But then I saw that I need Kalitas, and shortly after that I saw I needed Grim Flayers, all $20-$30 cards.

And I think all I ever truly wanted from Modern is not new cards but just the format to be affordable. And everything happening in Magic is just geared against that goal. The benchmark for Modern is high.

Remember when Modern was only Affinity, Melira Pod, Jund, and Twin? Those were the days. Now it's Jund + 9 Flavors of Aggro.

Still kind of new to magic and can't quite figure out the nuance of this card.
It says tap to attach target equipment you control to target creature you control. Does that mean I can move any amount of equipment or only one piece of equipment. It's confusing because equipment can be singular or plural.

So much black ink; why do 60% of the cards look like this?

"Target" always refers to just one card. The ability targets one piece of equipment, and targets one creature to attach it to.

Thanks I figured that just tapping one creature to dump an unlimited amount of equipment onto another might be a bit strong.

vandalhigh.com/blog/2015/7/3/the-problems-with-artist-pay-on-magic

tl;dr It's not the art directors, it's that nobody is willing to pay.

And why not fuck them? Artists are a dime a dozen. Every year there are a billion starving artists looking for work all jockeying for a simple paycheque. Why pay this guy with fair rates and royalties when you can fuck over some aspiring individual with less.

Same goes for Wild Nacatyl, what's your fucking point? New cards come out, the meta game changes. It's been 2 years since BBE was legal and Modern has changed A LOT, and yes sorry buddy Deathrite Shaman made her a lot better. She is no longer too good for modern.

>Why pay this guy with fair rates and royalties when you can fuck over some aspiring individual with less.

Because it's the moral thing to do?

Speaking of art.

What cards you guys like for the art only?
I can't decide which one of these I like more.

You really should read some books on philosophy and economics before spouting shit like that.

>So even SCG
You say this like it has any weight

>the moral thing to do

Businesses do not care for the moral thing unless it would affect how their consumers perceive them.

SCG content makes up the bulk of the Magic content people watch on Twitch. Not even that guy but they really do shit on the format constantly. When a game ends on turn 5 they say it was a long game.

I can tell what's going on with Abyssal Spectre, so I like that one better.

Haha oh child, so naive.

After watching the coverage yesterday, a game going to turn 5 seems like a long game.

I love everything about this card.

It's funny given how militant players are for praising Wizards for their progressive policies, the reality is that players are poor motherfuckers who are ignorant of what really matters.

They're too busy jacking it over trains and racial diversity in Kaladesh to care about something that matters like making sure their favorite artists can make a living.

They even fuck over local stores in their purchasing decisions. Think about all the people who buy some product while shopping at Walmart or Gamespot or order boxes online just for a $5 discount and just go to the LGS to play. Then fucking cry when the LGS closes.

The company doesn't have any incentive to change when their customers are dumb motherfuckers who don't care. They still have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders but they don't need to fucking mention that they're paying their artists fairly in the goddamn annual report.

Steve Argyle hasn't made card art for Magic since Origins. And given the lead time for art, that means he was fucking fired sometime around RTR.

Fired for opposing "diversity".

Buying singles online supports game stores across america. My lgs sells singles online on top of being a brick and mortar retailer. Just because the owner of your flgs is a bad businessman doesn't mean every lgs owner is. Also the artists would stop working for wotc if the pay was really that bad.

Argyle did one card in Commander 2015 too.

Which admittedly isn't that far past Origins, but just for accuracy's sake.

Dude made one artwork of Liliana and Chandra about to make out and the image was stolen to make tonnes of Chinese knockoff playmats.

In response to being asked how he produces such sexy art he posts a picture of his office with passed out women in underwear and underwear strewn around hanging from everything.

The fucking Magic community hasn't said a fucking word because they probably haven't a fucking clue that he's gone.

I used to make fun of the sexy art in Magic. And I feel so bad now because it's gone and replaced by this uninspired dogshit.

Chandra isn't gay for liliana user, shes gay for nissa. Youre being such a bigot right now its just disgusting.

But user don't you find this art sexy?

You should post the one Chandra that's a blatant tracing of this

What is your first and last name

>In response to being asked how he produces such sexy art he posts a picture of his office with passed out women in underwear and underwear strewn around hanging from everything.

What image was this?

So suddenly a brick and mortar has to maintain both a physical storefront and an online one. Needing to hire staff to deal with both sections. That is not fucking reasonable to ask of any small business especially when every asshole wants an answer in 24 hours and every person who walks through the door thinks they can get immediate service by dumping boxes of random cards on the table and asks, "how much?". Thanks to Amazon everyone expects free shipping too.

Either we sit around and agree that the age of a physical storefront is going to die due to the global online marketplace or we sit down and say, "Hey, having chairs and tables to play at seems like a nice thing to have" - maybe it's worth paying an extra $5 for a booster box at the store to ensure those chairs are around. Wizards demands that brick and mortars provide play space and public washrooms, space that could be used to hold stock. It seems brutally unfair of players to deny the store the sales they could have by filling play space with product and blaming them for being bad businesses when they're just trying to keep the doors open.

user brick and mortar stores ARE dying, hell mtgo made more money than paper magic according to the last wotc shareholder meeting. Shit fucking changes with technology.

I will never not-hate this nissa.