GURPS General /gurpsgen/

Kickstarter funded, Stretchgoals Edition!

>Whats your favorite custom setting?
>What sets it apart from others?

>>Whats your favorite custom setting?

Mine

>>What sets it apart from others?

They're mine

>10/10

No looking back
A game I set around detroit in ~2000AD. The players were normies who got caught up in a barfight which led to the end of the world.
Extrapolating, they saved a guy who was a secret nazi, who was actually a secret invader from an alternate earth where rome rules the world, who was actually a seed-child of the elder gods....its complicated.
>What sets it apart from others?
I put PCs in a "shit hits the fan" game, and through successive sessions, amped up the tension into a Silent Hill Level, and then past that, ended the world with them at the helm. Lots of fun :D

Honorable mention goes to Stargate 1888 ver1.0 , which I may return to soon. Depends on scheduling

>>Whats your favorite custom setting?
Heavy Mithrill
>>What sets it apart from others?
It's FUKEN METAL

The PDF should mention that while the Cyberpunk book was being written Steve Jackson games was raided by the secret service for being hackers.

Isn't that printed on the cover of the book? I admit I haven't looked at it since the hard copy was hot off the presses.

Question: Does DR with the tough skin limitation protect you from blood agents, or just contact agents?

It provides no protection from Contact agents. If your skin is exposed you are dosed.

It provides protection from most blood agent vectors, like darts, blades, needles, ect. If they can't defeat the Tough Skin DR then you are not dosed.

This may just be Dungeon Fantasy, but I distinctly recall the DR of the Shirtless Savage Barbarian being vulnerable to poisons because their tough skin didn't count for protection even if the coated weapon does no damage through it.

Only if you are useing a Contact agent.

Normal skin protects you from Blood agents that are just dumped on your skin but don't get into an open wound or injected.

It might be that all Dungeon Fantasy poisons are contact. That would make a lot of sense considering the direction of the franchise.

Speaking of: I'm messing around with a DF rapierist. How are they supposed to work? The Knight in our group swings a mace/pick around and deals about three times the damage of the character that I have put together (1d+3 imp vs 3d+8cr/3d+7imp). Our weapon skill is about the same and he started with twice the DR that I have on my torso covering his everything because of his 17ST and more points for cash.

I guess that I have the backflippy, acrobat stuff and a massive speed advantage. Should I be trying to harrass the enemy back line then (archers, healers, spearmen mooks...)? Protect our own back line? The former sounds pretty dangeous, so Daredevil *should* be appropriate.

Have I got it right? am I just building horribly? I reckon that you could make a swashbuckler with a saber for sw cut damage (that'd be about... 2d+2?) but I like the aesthetic of the thrusting sword and would prefer to use that.

Sounds like the right path. Make sure your torso/vitals are protected, but then max move and start flanking worry less about hitting for a lot, and worry about hitting consistently (high skill)

Thrusting weapons are pretty weak without using the know your own strength rule to bolster them.

You are allowed to use tl4 swords in dungeon fantasy, so if you have your heart set on a rapier, you could get the jian, edged rapier, or light edged rapier from martial arts, p. 229, though they all cost a bit just starting dungeon fantasy.

>Targeted attack(vitals)
>Striking strength
>fine edged rapier

Soooo eeet

Yeah, targeting vitals is a good option for a thrust weapon, but in df specifically, a lot of monsters have exotic injury tolerances or no vitals. Tip slash is a stop gap for those situations, but pure swing cut is even better.

You're right in that the swashbuckler's schtick -- aside from extreme skill in one weapon -- is backflippy, acrobatic stuff. Ask your GM to make combat terrain varried and interesting; when you have to leap over flipped tables and slide under benches to get at the enemy, the swashbuckler really shines. Also don't forget that you can sub in Acrobatics for DX when evading; evade through an enemy hex to either strike at backline fighters or spin and stab the evaded enemy in the back at -2 to defend (runaround attacks) and possibly without DR if they target opted for the cheaper front-only breastplate.

How do I make and price my own Imbuement skills?

I think I could use my method of turning Advantages into Skills for Imbuement skills but I still need to price those advantages in the first place.

I've looked at Evade before and it seemed pretty difficult to pull off in a QC where you're at -5 for trying to evade through someone from the front. If the GM starts to include more furniture though, I might be able to jump from those and get over people.

> Knowing Your Own Strength
Had to look that one up in the MEGA archive; it's beautiful, thank you. +1 damage if I don't make any changes, and 2d thr damage within reach. I'll have a look at martial arts in the morning, we're supposed to be using it but I haven't looked at the equipment lists yet.

Thanks for the tips. Since I'll be closer to the enemy casters than our own, I might try buying Magic Resistance later or with spare creation cp (I have 7 right now). I already have a shield which we've found seems to no-sell all archery tricks so I should be safe there. Healing will be a pain in the ass, however... would worth it? I'm not so sure, but resisting a mind-control spell or two could end up being really important.

My man

Hey guys, I'm new to GURPs and I was woundering how I should start off. I've got some background in D&D 5e, Pathfinder and Deadlands and want to learn more.

The type of game I want to make is Giant mechs fighting monsters with physiological effects thrown in (other words like Neon genesis evangelion).

Any advice will be welcomed.

Apologies for any typos on phone
Giant mechs and psychological trauma are two things I find gurpsndoes not do cleanly especially for a new gm. I suggest coking back to them when you are more well versed. If you a still want to try read on...

First off, decide exactly how you want to represent Tue mechs. Do you want to use the Modular Mecha rules from that one pyramid article and treat nechs as equipment? Are the characters transforming into mechs with shape shifting (alternate form)? Are the giant robots Allies that they pilot using compartmentalized mind (controls)? Are they sentient Allies?

Then you build the robots basic set, ultra tech, the modular necha pyramid article and powers and maybe supers will help a lot.

Goodluck

How would you do technology for a setting similar to Warhammer 40k?

WH40k has multiple tiers of exotic/really high-technology beyond the normal means of humans such as:
>Necron / Pre-Fall Eldar
>Dark Age of Technology Humanity
>Eldar
>Great Crusade/High Imperial/AdMech technology

My issue is that scifi TLs only go from 9 to 12, or 12^ when something like 40k would suggest more tech levels than that.

Necons and Pre-Fall Eldar would at least be a theoretical TL13 ^, whereas the DAOT is clearly TL 12 ^.

I crunched some numbers a while back when I was making a vehicle imbuement that mimics Warp. I totally forgot what the end result was, but try some of the Veeky Forums archives and see what you can find.

>13^
How do you figure? TL12 is already "The Age of Miracles" with some pretty insane bullshit like galaxy-sized computers made of dyson spheres that have to utilize FLT just to reduce lag. On top of that, tech levels are meant to be pretty broad; what meaningful difference would there be between TL12 and TL13, aside from a bigger number that seems more impressive (though I understand that that's the crux of the 40k universe)? Once you throw superscience into the mix, things get even fuzzier.

That being said, if you wanted, you could follow the guidelines on p. UT7; TL13+ equipment is TL 12 gear at half the cost/weight or maybe double the damage/range/operating time.

Maybe I can use Aura with a specially larger Melee Attack?

- Innate Attack 1 (Toxic 4/level) [8]
- Aura [+80\%]
- Melee Attack (Reach 1-4 [-15\%]) [-15\%]
- Accessibility (Weapon Only) [-20\%]
- Requires (Melee Weapon) [-10\%]
- While Conscious [-5\%]

I don't get what your post is in reference to, but I don't think that's legal RAW. I'd go for Area of Effect + Emanation + Always On instead of Melee 1-4 + Aura.

My weird cthulhu/transhumanism/warframe setting. I've posted it here before
>What sets it apart from the others?
Frankly, not much. I pretty much took my favorite bits from Cthulhutech and Eclipse Phase, and Warframe, then mashed it all together.

>That being said, if you wanted, you could follow the guidelines on p. UT7; TL13+ equipment is TL 12 gear at half the cost/weight or maybe double the damage/range/operating time.

I think that would work. Thanks.

And...pretty much.

The really advanced technology (dark age of technology human tech, necron & pre-fall eldar etc.) is a mix of basically equivalent to what the Imperium has but better, with some exotic things mixed in.

Like a Dark Age of Technology ship using a cannon that warped time and space to put an Eldar ship back to where it was earlier so its' weapons would connect.

Well, the TL12+ stuff is gonna be artifacts and higher TL stuff anyways, stuff that people pay through the nose for.

Hideously expensive stuff if you can even buy it at all.

Some things are honestly going to be signature items or stuff you pay points for, not money. They are so unique and snowflake-y that it's not a matter of money.

It would also probably be more than fair to assess familiarity penalties and other stuff.

I mean, you have to stick it to a guy that has a Plasmagun that actually WORKS cost wise when everyone else has ones that are unpleasantly easy to melt yourself with.

Which is funny. The rate of failure and misfire suggests that the Plasma weapons made in the current timeframe are essentially what zip guns are to real guns compared to the old, reliable models. Which is funny because they are as dubious as a lot of Mek guns. And Meks only vaguely know what they are doing. Think about that. The actual level of net reliability for Imperial weapons is only slightly above that of Ork weapons. They have plenty of old standby workakay designs that while clumsy and crude, do not generally explode in your face. Like Shootas, and Sluggas, and Big Shootas.

Whereas the Imperium has Lasguns, and Lascannons, and stuff like Autoguns and Stubbers. Crude, but reliable, comparatively.

And while people will say "oh, but the Ork guns work, or work better because they think they will" think about the Sisters, and some other belief based shenanigans with Imperial stuff.

The Imperium are a bunch of ignorant crazy people is what they are.

I want to power up my sword with fire or other magical shit. Area of Effect is too large I just want it to apply when stuff touches the sword.

Thanks for the info. But I'm willing to brave the challenge.

>First off, decide exactly how you want to represent the mech.
They will be mechanical/biological mechs that the characters will control inside the mech via mind melding (being one with the mech)

>Do you want to use the Modular Mecha rules from that one pyramid article and treat mechs as equipment?
Have yet to read that but thanks for the heads up.

>Are the characters transforming into mechs with shape shifting (alternate form)?
The characters will be inserted into the mech via pods.

>Are the giant robots that they pilot using compartmentalized mind (controls)?
Yeah, I plan on them kinda mind melding with the mech so they see/hear/feel what the mech sense (the biological side of the mech)

>Are they sentient Allies?
No they are man made, mindless, mechs

Anymore ideas or advice will me wonderful.

Alright, at my keyboard now so I can give properly spelled advice.

>They will be mechanical/biological mechs that the characters will control inside
Build them as Minion Allies with the Compartmentalized Mind (Controls) advantage, and, depending on how much mechanical/biological shit is stuffed in them, cybernetics as per Ultra-Tech, or biotech as per Bio-Tech. Depending how they heal, you could give them Maintenance, or Unhealing, or some other disadvantage/advantage. The Machine and Automaton meta-traits on B263 might be of help. It's hard to know exactly how to build them without a detailed write-up.

>The characters will be inserted into the mech via pods.
>they see/hear/feel what the mech sense (the biological side of the mech)
I think you'd want Payload (Occupants), and Mind Reading with Sensory, limitations based on being inside the cockpit, and possible further limitations for only with their designated unit. You could also go for Possession and Puppet, depending on the feeling you're trying to achieve.

Aside from designing how mecha work, you also want to decide how they interact with the world, what their defenses are against conventional weapons, what their weapons are, etc.. If you want to just use normal melee weapons scaled up to their size, use Low-Tech Companion 2's weapon scaling rules with Ultra-Tech options and Ultra-Tech weapons/High-Tech weapons, typically the tank kind (Be warned that UT has a lot of errata you'll need to look up).

If you want a more free-form (and easier, imo) version of it, use Innate Attacks to model melee attacks, rocket punches, pulse lasers, etc.. Powers has a lot of example abilities, starting on P136.

Depending on how big your mechs are, you'll want to use the Decade-scale rules (or even Century-scale) on B470, or even just assume that scale to begin with, instead of buying up the robots from human standards. 10 for robots is 100 for humans, for example.

my Colonialism+Monster Hunter Dungeon Fantasy setting, lifting some concepts from Malazan book of the fallen

>>what sets it apart?
Flashman is a good character concept

Just looking for some advice
Being somewhat new to tabletop and completely so to gurps, it's a little intimidating to get into. For a cyberpunk campaign, I'd need the core rules + ultra tech + cyberpunk or that pyramid issue that updates the rules
In total, that's close to 800 pages of reading just to get started
A big reason for the bulk though is gurps' nature, it's universal, so of course I didn't need to read the sections on magic or on TL that are outside my campaign's scope

Aside from the obvious, how do you guys deal with new gurps source as you change settings?
Do you just read through everything so you don't miss a detail?
Do you skim and read what seems relevant?
Do you get the general idea, then refer back to it when writing up a setting/campaign?

I went though the Basic Set like textbooks. Studying, thinking about the implications of what I'd seen, making occasional notes.

Beyond that, I tend to read other books for inspiration and ideas when I'm planning a game or character. I skip around, but try to cover the whole thing.

Grab a pile of post-it notes and use them to tag pages with rules/information you expect to need a lot.

As a very strong suggestion, though..

You don't NEED anything but the basic set to run a cyberpunk game. You'd have to home-brew things and come up with rules, but could jump into it without the other books.

I just skip anything I don't think would be necessary, but I like reading rulebooks in my free time so if I've seen something that might be interesting, I'll come back and read it eventually. I didn't need to know about Styles in Martial Arts, but by the gods was it a fun read.

You don't really need anything but the Basic Set for like, 90% of the things. Many things in the other books are specific modifications to something that's already in the Basic Set, to help it emulate something different, see the Sorcery Magic system which is mostly just a new and clever way of using Modular Abilities in the context of magic spells. My advice to you would be only to pay special attention to things in the Basic Set, and to merely thumb through UT and cyberpunk, none of it is a required reading, but you might something that would be interesting to have in your game. And a lot of the advice in most books is about enhancing the fiction of your game, not merely adding more rules. If you're an experienced GM of cyberpunk games, read a lot of cyberpunk fiction, pray to the altar of Holy Gibson, etc, maybe it wouldn't be much use to you, but if this is your first tumble into the High Tech Low Life world, that advice would be invaluable, and much credit to your games.

>800 pages
Honestly, you can skip 80% of those 800 pages and still run a great Cyberpunk game in GURPS. I won't say you don't need Basic Set, as UT and Cyberpunk are big helps in reducing the amount of handwaving you need to do, but you do need to curate UT's equipment lists. Just allowing everything is going to give you a bleeding headache.

>how do you guys deal with new gurps source as you change settings?
I read GURPS books recreationally, so that should tell you enough. That said, when I'm actually designing a setting, I just skip around sections of the book spot-reading whatever the table of contents made sound relevant.

>You'd have to home-brew things and come up with rules
I beg to differ. All the rest of your post is spot on. This bit is completely counter to GURPS philosophy and application as I see it.

Cyberpunk and Ultra-Tech are both generic but are only marginally helpful, IMO. If you learn Advantages, Disadvantages, Enhancements, and Limitations you can quickly and easily just use the gear catalog you already have in your head. A cyberarm might have extra ST for punching, maybe have claws, maybe some DR; it also might be Electrical, maybe Visible (although I'd call it only -5%), maybe have some of the Gadget modifiers, might require Maintenance. . . etc. Cyberlegs might give you a few points of Move. Boosted reflexes would give Basic Speed, maybe Enhanced Time Sense.

Maybe one model of reflex boosters gives Basic Speed and another gives ETS. There might not be a model in your world that gives both.

The above is outlined in Characters on p. 46 by the way.

That's not to say Cyberpunk, Ultra-Tech, various Pyramid articles, etc. won't be handy or useful but there really aren't any rules you'd need to come up with if you skip them. You also probably only have to read about 1/2 of Characters and Campaigns. I'd say your total required reading is closer to 250 pages and that you can skim probably three quarters of that.

As another bonus to getting familiar with Ads/Disads/Enhancements/Lims is that the familiarity carries over to Supers games, and many supernatural games (both RPM and Sorcery, Divine Powers, Psionics).

>don't need
only need* fuck.

As this user said, pretty much 100% of cyberware is handled as Advantage + the Temporary Disadvantage (Electrical, -20%) limitation, sometimes with Maintenance for cheapo gutterware. Ultra-Tech is a great reference on how to build those things, however.

Honestly, you'll be fine with even just Basic Set and using it's higher TL weapons and armor. Hacking can be done with just Computer Hacking rolls instead of an involved hacking subsystem, if that suits your tastes.

Feel free to ask any questions you have in the thread, provided you've made an attempt to find an answer yourself.

How would you make something as versatile as Ritual Path Magic but for psionics?

>Open up RPM in a PDF editor
>CTRL+F "mage," "thaumatology," "path," and "ritual"
>Replace with "psi," "parapsychology," "discipline," and "projection"
>Fix a few other things to make it sound more psi.

Unless you meant give it a powers-based approach as opposed to skills based, and for that I'd say do the above, but to Sorcery instead of RPM.

Does anybody have a better Transhuman Space PDF that the one in the MEGA?

Any tips on how to make Transhuman Space have more the "Earth is lost", "points of light in the dark" flavor that Eclipse Phase does? Mostly, how would you have earth be taken out of the picture in a way that it both allows evacuation, and prevents rapid reclamation?

If you wanted to have different kinds of magic in your setting but you wanted both of them to have the flexibility of ritual path magic how would you make them different?

I think the most obvious approach would be to alter possible paths and verbs available. For example, perhaps demonic magic would like the create verb.

Another possibility would be to add new laws of magic to specific magical traditions.

Gray goo?

Earth is covered in billions of hungry, angry, desperate people living in the ruined environment where they live in cities like giant garbage dumps meet falavas that will kill and rob anyone that dares come to the surface. They could absorb every bit of resources the Off-Earth without meaningfully improving the lot of those people.

Anyone know where I can find pdf's? Friend wants to run a Hellboy campaign.

Failed the perception check, have you?

Try again at a +5 if you look specifically for the OP 'image'

I was always partial to "quarry", myself.

Black Ops.

I don't know. There's just something about it that hits this EXACT note-perfect flavor that I've never tasted in anything else, save for maybe a little with XCOM.

I really like the idea of the Op program somehow finding a reliable and ultra-tested way to genuinely make sub-superhumans capable of taking on Mythos-level nightmares in short and horrific bursts. It's just drenched in black conceptually, and has a little humor to the horror.

It makes me think of, say, if Metal Gear Solid and Delta Green cross pollinated. 800 world wide active super soldiers across 5 company flavors fighting for a hidden academy of pitch-black militarism nightmare, able to give any man or woman a ticket to apotheosis at the fucking rooftop of the food chain. The price is endless conflict.

Sadly it sucked donkey nuts in 3e to play since it was kind of 700-point supernormals that read like excel sheets. The enemies made the system creak. It'd work fantastic in 4e if it got a proper conversion.

The riches generated by space exploitation never went back to the homeworld because the new superupper class kept reinvesting in profitable space stuff, nobody down there could afford the new tech either. It all slowly collapsed when oil ran out and good rare earths spots ran out.

First of all, yes I am illiterate.

Where can I find a resource on cash rewards for slaying monsters and stuff? I get there are treasure tables from DF but I need cold hard cash.
Is there some kind of system where challenge × modifier = cash reward or what? In D&D they had relative worth for monster drops (for example Orcs would hold items of up to 10-15gp I think) and I'm looking for something resembling that.

What I'm thinking is basically quest rewards from guilds and stuff. Say "there's a troll that steals sheep from a local village, if you kill it we'll pay you $x". But how much is x? How much is a troll's death worth?

pic unrelated

GURPS Low Tech, Page 32 ->

"Cloth bags have DR 0, are Fragile (Combustible)
(p. B136), and neither take damage from nor protect contents
from crushing attacks."

Note "neither take damage from...crushing attacks".

That sounds like infinite DR versus Crushing damage but, as far as I know, there is no Invincibility/Immunity to X Damage Advantage in GURPS. If you wanted to Shapeshift Morph into a cloth bag (or similar item such as clothing) or create animated clothing as an NPC, how would you handle the implied invulnerability?

>DR 0
>infinite DR
What?

You sound like a D&D player. There's no peasant railguns in GURPS.

This is pretty easy, but a little odd.

First, calculate how much the job Monster Hunter pays in your world. In mine, it's a high risk job but one that attracts little respect. Due to the risk involved a Hunter typically makes $800 a month, enough to support Status 0.

To find how much a job cost, we start with the Hunter's time ($200 a week, in my game), then the hunter's basic supplies, at $30 for food (1 week status 0 travel rations) and $20 allowance for bandages, ammunition, high proof alcohol, lamp oil, ect.

So a basic hunt cost $250 in my game, if it takes about a week or less. This might seem unreasonable if the hunter only needs to spend a day at it, but the rest of the week may be needed to rest and recover after mortal combat with a creature of darkness.

This is the competitive rate for monsters most hunters can handle alone. A few goblins, a ghoul digging up a cemetery or a lone cultist.

For more dangerous monsters, or larger packs, you will need to hire more hunters or offer hazard pay. Be wary if you put out a contract you think will need five hunters for two weeks (a $2,500 contract) and three guys want to take it on. There's a line between brave and greedy and crazy.

Expenses and allowance are paid up-front but the hunter's payment is held in escrow until the situation is resolved. It's considered good form to throw in a bonus if you were wrong about the nature of the threat and it proved much more dangerous then you thought and to not bitch and whine about it if the threat was less then you thought and you overpaid.

For truly fearsome creatures you may have to offer a large hazard bonus, equal to between half and double base pay, in order to attract the highly skilled and brave to try it.

The state of being able to move requires you resist being moved by outside forces, the exact reverse of why a cloth bag dose not take damage from crushing. The animating force may be crushed to death but the fabric will be relatively intact.

Buy damage resistance or DR if you wish to avoid that.

I could imagine that guy is willing to hire adventurers to go battle a house smashing troll.

So if you go full The Witcher (hunters are status -1) they'd get paid $135 per week.

No wonder he has to hang out with rich guys like Zoltan and Dandelion to drink. He's never buying.

What's with the weirdly selective tribal mentality?

Basically, I found it to be one element of the system that doesn't line up neatly with the Advantage options.

Ditto for trying to represent the Reverse Missiles spell with Advantages (DR with Reflection isn't the same, because Reverse Missiles works on any projectile that deals *any* amount of damage...not a fixed amount).

Uh...I am simply trying to find out how one would turn into the cloth bag as statted in Low-Tech. Take away the movement if you want (making the character/template be Sessile), if it is somehow a necessary explanation as to why bags do not take crushing damage.

P.S. It it "does" and not "dose".

It is*

The Bad End of Orbital Decay (so-so adventure, but plausible with THS biotech) is a trio of rather nasty nanoviruses being released on Earth, that turn the infected into hyper-paranoid (The Crazies style) supersoldiers with slowly decaying flesh.

While it wouldn't defeat the setting, if the outbreak occurred in a highly populated area (or spread across the planet) it could trigger various unpleasant flareups of tension.

Alternately, Negative Growth could escape with samples, and use mass release of the viruses in ways that implicate the TSA Bioweapons Directorate and cause another Pacific War (and release of much nastier and more persistent nanoweapons). Though they might be more inclined to release them all on Mars and let the filthy humans kill each other off to leave their perfect sterile planet as Nature Intended.

They take effect in about 12 hours (and the paranoia kicks in *fast*), so a carefully coordinated mass release could really fuck things up - even if a large segment of the population will have guardian nano to protect them, it doesn't help much when a mob of STR 18-20 berserker with Hard to Kill 2 and tool-use takes offence at their lack of horrible disfigurement.

>Ditto for trying to represent the Reverse Missiles spell with Advantages
Sorcery - 'Protection and Warning Spells', page 11, Reverse Missile.
>Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage, Reverse Missiles 1, +630%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Increased 1/2D, 10¥, +15%; No Signature, +20%; Sorcery, ‑15%) [75]. Additional levels add further Reverse Missiles to the Advantage enhancement (+630%) [+63]. Notes: Each level of “Reverse Missiles” is Damage Resistance 7 (All-or-Nothing, ‑10%; Force Field, +20%; Limited, Ranged, ‑20%; Magical, ‑10%; Reflection, +100%) [63] with each DR 7 converted into 2d per p. B269. The ruling on Affliction and Binding is from p. 168 of GURPS Powers.

Sounds like Monster Hunters that draws exclusively from Xenology. I actually combined Xenology and Pointless Monster Hunting a while back for a newbie group, and it was fun while it lasted.

Not taking any crushing damage is a simplification to keep the system from getting too bogged down. Realistially I'd say cloth has high DR (Crushing only, -40%) [3/level] and maybe Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction; Cosmic, round down instead of up, +50%; Crushing only, -40%) [55, 83, or 110] along with Injury Tolerance (Homogenous).

Bags still get ripped and worn from crushing damage; they're highly resistant, but not immune.

>It's been fun. The general plot of the first arc, which we're just now wrapping up actually, is they heard about this flying vehicle that crashed into a mountain. And of course everyone is like, "Oh my god!" Some of them are smart enough to know, "There were planes, but planes don't still work. How are they doing that?"
>And they finally get in, and finally get to the room where they figure is where the plane crashed into the side of the mountain. And there's not a plane; there's a *tractor*.
>And everyone is completely confused, until they sit down and look at the place, and realize that this is a missile defense silo with these microwave beams that would also shoot down missiles. And those were powered by this massive magnetron that was just hit by lightning a week ago. Got hit by lightning?
>The dishes pulled the tractor from a mile away--
>--and everyone saw it streaking across the sky. I'm proud of that because none of them saw it coming. They still, I made sure they got so much cool stuff that they don't hate me. They have broken robot parts and they found a laptop and night-vision goggles, all these things that are really, really useful. So no one's upset about it, they were just amazed.
That's amazing.
Off: gamingballistic on the spot blog dot the com fuck your spam bullshit mootykins /2016/06/transcript-hunter-and-pk-talk-after-end.html
Well, link is self-descriptive enough.

I think DF also gives guidelines for the amount of loot from an adventure. IIRC, you take out the cost of living and what it takes to replace consumables as you did, but the rest of it is determined by how fast you want the party's gear to improve rather than reasonable pay rates. Assuming $500 of post-expenses net-profit per PC at the end of every adventure, a PC can afford one small gear upgrade after an adventure, a significant upgrade after every four adventures, or a major upgrade after ten adventures (assuming none of the funds get eaten up by curse removal and similar fees).

That's a much more gamist approach (though that's appropriate for DF), but I would still use it as a guideline for a regular fantasy game; a good pay rate for a mission would be one that satisfy's -- as best it can -- both the realistic pay rate and allow the players to regularly upgrade their gear. Tougher missions give more cash and allow for faster upgrades because dangerous jobs realistically pay more AND more difficult fights should lead to better loot!

There is a rule on page 13 of Dungeon Fantasy 8 that gives rules for extracting loot from monsters... This is refined in one of the Dungeon Fantasy treasure books. It's a little different, but Low Tech Companion 3 has formulas for finding the usable meat from butchered animals.

It isn't money, but it is maybe only one step removed from it.

One of the characters in my group uses a crossbow way over the strength level of the character, is there any spell to make reloading faster baring giving extra strength to the character?

True. DF's guidelines are for total net profit. Whether that $500 comes in the form of coins and gems, sold-off artifacts, fenced enemy gear, or selling creepy glands to creepier wizards, all that matters is the total cash sum.

Altered Time Rate 20 (Accessibility, only on Goat's Foot, -???%)

I get what your are saying but Im playing the support mage. Some way of helping the character do better would be really cool.

What's the magic system? Basic?

Yes basic, I keep forgetting as my group doesnt juse the others. Sorry for being vague.

Anyone here ever submit an article to pyramid mag? Were you accepted?

Great Haste to let them reload in half the time, or carry around a bunch of crossbows and cast Dancing Object on them -- they reload themselves as if wielded by an ST 15 person, so if he has a bag of five or so, take a few seconds to aim, fire, and Ready a new one, he should have a steady supply of cocked (but not necessarily loaded) crossbows.

Create Servant could also work; servants can't fight, but staying in cover reloading crossbows doesn't count as fighting IMO. They only have ST 9, though, so they may not be strong enough to even use a goat's foot. Brutes created with the same spell have ST 16, but that costs 6 FP to cast, so fuck that.

I contacted them to see if they would be willing to publish something of mine. They said yes, but I wussed out/thought it was too crappy and never sent it in.

I'm putting together a concept that's a few pages long so far, but haven't "submitted it" yet. Also, there .dot word template that they require doesn't seem to work for me, so I've been writing it in plain text worrying about content first, formatting later. I don't really even get why they want it in word for a document that seems like they will modify and reformat like crazy.

They run it through a, for lack of a better term, text-converter. I think it looks at the formatting of the .doc file and converts it to something more like what you see on the final page. They can do it by hand, but I'd imagine that'd be a huge, slow pain in the ass, especially if the original submission's formatting is funky to start with.

>why they want it in word
As far as I know it's because their layout program most readily imports that format.

And it's something of a test. If you can't be bothered to make a solid effort following their guidelines or rules what else will you disregard?

As one of the ones that just can't their way to work acceptably I know you can find others who would be willing to take what you have and stuff it into the accepted template.

Yeah, I can believe that. I figure (speaking as a programmer) though that it'd be easier to program something that can ingest a plain text file. I "get" the process, but I just have a hangup with using MS Word for publishing/writing. Ah well.

You could always create your own markup that spits out their desired format then.

I've had a GM slash the loot drawn from the dungeon in half after a Wealthy PC was rolled, that rule makes me sad.

$500 per dungeon (With 1 week either way and 1 week down time that's ~650 per month) also isn't a lot when $700 is the typical monthly pay for a Status 0 freeman and doesn't involve demons and cthulhu monsters trying to kill you.

10 dungeons can easily mean a whole year worth of play time, too. Some campaigns don't even last that long.

Does this seem fair for a summoning only variation of Ritual Path Magic?

Have the following nouns

Demons: Goetia
Angels: Theurgy
Undead: Necromantia
Fairy: Faery
Mortals: Mundi (this would be a rare path)

and the following verbs

Sense 2
Summon 5
Control 5
Banish 5

?

How's the GURPS: Imperial Rome book?

Some of my regulars want to try something historical.

It's OK, but there are plenty of pop-history guides to the roman empire which give you pretty much the same information.

how do i do item crash.

do it.

It's almost literally imbuements, but you are using FP/Energy Reserve to buy off the penalty for a really big imbuement.

Oh, not at all. It's more than just Xeno Monster Hunt. The hunting is barely one half of the content for Black Ops. They do it ALL. Sabotage, impersonation, hacking, invention, assassination, fighting psychics, monsters, cultists, other military and secret groups, you can play an entire campaign with a team and never once have to have a single wriggler or beast show up if you don't want to.

But the beasts and nasties are the really FUN bits, like when you're wrasslin' a 900 pound gargoyle off the roof of a Louisiana chapel.

KYOS is a highly uncompatible supplement and you should talk with your GM beforehand

Anyone know where I can download all the WW2 3e books?

The GM should add $50 a week for travel and living expenses to rewards, otherwise it's quite easy to bleed away money that might go to upgrades on just staying alive.

This can come from either looted rewards/spoils or from contract/quest rewards.

...so that thing about Vehicles 4e being due this year...is that a real thing or just a dank maymay?

Someone got dubs in a DUBS=TRUTH thread, that's all

So that means it's a real thing.

RAW, do the Time Spent rules apply to any of the rolls for inventing?

Nice.

What specific rules are you referencing? I don't see them in the index the way you wrote them

Time Spent is on page 346 of Basic Set: Campaigns. Basically, every doubling of the time it takes to do a task gives +1 while every 10% reduction gives you -1; for -4, you can do a task in 60% of the normal time, or if the task is difficult you can take 16 times as long to get a +4.

I'd say no then; see this passage, and then re-read gadgeteering on B475

Prototype
All the benefits listed for Concept
rolls apply equally to Prototype rolls.
Furthermore, the GM may choose to
waive the penalty for questionable
equipment. Many fictional gadgeteers
work out of a basement or a garage!
Time Required: This is unchanged.
However, the times under New
Inventions assume an eight-hour day,
which might not be enough for a cinematic gadgeteer! If the inventor pulls