Playing?

>Playing?
>Testing?
>BDIF/Favorite deck in format?
>Describe your ten-step process to performing the perfect brainstorm.

RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art (Updated through Duel Decks: Jace vs Chandra)
sites.google.com/site/mtgbasics/

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Miracles: The Match-Up Everyone Should Know
channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-defeat-miracles/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g88HFitALAI
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UWBJM0Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474330470&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=led&dpPl=1&dpID=512z0orjIKL&ref=plSrch
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/doom-fit/
channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-defeat-miracles/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Common Legacy - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
>Miracles
>Delver variants (Grixis, Izzet, BUG, RUG)
>ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)
>Death and Taxes
>Eldrazi Stompy
>Shardless BUG
>Lands

Uncommon Legacy - Decks You Should Know About
>LED Dredge
>Reanimator
>Infect
>Stoneblade
>Burn
>TES (The Epic Storm)
>Elves
>Painter
>Maverick
>4-Color Loam
>Nic Fit
>Sneak n Show

Rare Legacy - Decks You May See On Occasion
>Enchantress
>MUD
>Goblins
>Merfolk
>High Tide
>Aluren
>Food Chain
>12 Post
>Belcher
>Pox Control
>Dragon Stompy
>Tezzerator
>Sneak n Breach
>Stax (White or Black)

Mythic Legacy - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Doomsday Fetchland Tendrils (DDFT)
>Cheerios
>Nourshing Lich
>Sea Stompy
>Spanish Inquisition
>Shitty Wannabe Defunct Sneak n ShowMonoblue Omnitell
>Parfait
>The Cure (Kavu Predator + False Cure)

>not putting legacy in the subject line

Forgive me Senpai

>10 step process for the perfect brainstorm
Step one: cast brainstorm
Step 2: keep the cards you want
Step 3: put the chaff back
Step 10: cracking a fetch

sneaky doomsdayers always 7 steps ahead
i'm sorry i coudn't solve your last riddle doomsday-kun. Without that 3 additional mana i miscounted there was no way to win

Why would I cast a spell when I can make it terrible instead? I only play decks that fuck with brainstorm.

The hard part is evaluating which cards are your worst cards

Muh gentleman of African descent. MUD master race. I also play D&T, I am I bad person?[/spoilers]

Nah man, I pretty much only play decks that have playsets of Chalice. Stax, Tezz and MUD are my jam.

You are. Of course, I play DnT, White Stax, Soldier Stompy, Dragon Stompy, Goblin Stompy and a bunch of brews that start with 8 x Thalia 4x Chalice 4x Chaliceman

>Playing?
ANT
>Testing?
Trying out Daze in the side. It's okay so far. Few opportunities to side it in however.
ANT. It's my dream deck.

Oh, well that's step one.

What about steps two through ten?

>Playing?
infect
>Testing?
optimal salt harvesting techniques
none/mine
>Describe your ten-step process to performing the perfect brainstorm.
1) be turn 2
2) cast brainstorm
3) draw invigorate, berserk, force of will
4) put back two lands
5) crack misty rainforest
6) attack with glistener elf
7) stare opponent dead in the eyes
8) invigorate
9) berserk
10) poison

Oh yeah I'll give the answer to that. It was hard.

Here's the text of the puzzle:
You're at 14 life vs miracles. They have a meddling mage naming burning wish. You duress them and see 2 swords to plowshares and a counterspell. They have 2 untapped tundras. You have an island, a swamp and a top. Your hand is ritual, doomsday, probe, led. What would you do to have the best shot at winning?

One very valid answer to " What would you do to have the best shot at winning?' is to just say "take the counterspell, pass turn". a variety of cards will win for you next turn. you have a top to dig for discard, and you have at least one more black source that you'll untap with because you had to cast Duress off something. However, you do have an opening in which there are no counterspells, and there is a rare kind of pass-the-turn pile that can beat 2 swords in this situation:
[top] Ideas Unbound, LED, Probe, Top, Maniac [bottom]
ritual->doomsday off the swamp, play LED, cast Probe off island, hold priority and crack LED for UUU. Ideas Unbound->Top,LED,Probe for 2 life, hold priority, crack LED for UUU, draw and cast Maniac. Then pass the turn. You'll have no cards in your deck, Labman and 2 tops on board at 5 life. You can eat a hit from Meddling Mage, and can top in response to Swords. A third removal spell kills you, but you don't play this deck if you're scared.

Honestly it's up in the air as to whether it's better to wait or do the weird pile. There are strong arguments for both. I'd probably go with the weird pile because I live for danger.

i recall that a chromatic star was a mana ability and cannot be responded to with removal when you have maniac on the battlefield. sure missed that way to win.
I like how Ideas are a more expensive recall in this deck, shame I'm too dumb to crack the optimal ways to play.

yeah I don't play chromatic sphere in my list because the situations where it was helpful were very few and far between, and I wanted something more useful when I drew it pre-combo. Even this puzzle, where sphere would be perfect, is really contrived. Meddling Mage maindeck in Miracles is rare. And there still are ways to beat the double removal hand. I don't think sphere is worth it.

No, honestly guys. Help me.

I feel like I'm going to buy LEDs. It also means I have to sell most of my shit away to be able to afford them and I know logically paying the current price of that specific cardboard is batshit crazy... But I still feel like I'm going to do it.

I got over it thinking I don't need them, but then I heard some other shitheads talking about how they bought fishing lures for 170€ each. (They were historic pieces and not so common today. And in very high demand) Suddenly I didn't feel like LEDs were not too bad. Especially since those nutheads bought a book talking about those lures for 400€.

I feel like I'm in addiction I've got to get rid off for my own good. Do I just sell my deck before finishing it? I don't really need it desu.

Looking forward to trying my friend's Nic Fit list this Friday. Looks like a super deck, probably going to build it myself. Cause I really need a 4th legacy deck.

youtube.com/watch?v=g88HFitALAI

These are the people Wizards are catering to with the Reserve list. Bragging about how they have mounds of unopened boxes so they can corner the market harder. yeesh.

There are some cheap alternatives: amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UWBJM0Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474330470&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=led&dpPl=1&dpID=512z0orjIKL&ref=plSrch

I like the guy. There is really nothing wrong with making money this way, but yes. I do disagree with reserved list and how it kills legacy.

Actually thanks for this. It reminded me why I gave up on buying cards and already sold big portion of them. Owning cards don't mean anything if you can't finish the decks and with current prices, it's impossible for me to finish a single deck.

Oh I'm not worried about diodes. It's the cardboard that makes me lose my nerves.

the way I look at it is this is my hobby, and people spend money on their hobbies. once I got it in my head, it was kind of just going to happen, "fuck it, I'm buying trops." so go for it, if you think owning the cardboard will bring you more happiness than not.

>10) poison

>Lions Eye Diamond
>Light Emitting Diode
/badum tiss

Anyone play Painter here?

You think I missed your joke?

It's hard for me to tell.

>deck I play isn't even on the list

Feels goodman

What deck would that be?

you can't just post that and not tell us what deck it is.

Same

Can you overcast a spell? If a creature has bb as it's cmc, but I also want the haste from Hall of the Bandit Lord, can I pay three mana for it?

No

>10 step process to performing perfect brainstorm
1. G
2. I
3. T
4. G
5. U
6. D
7. cast brainstorm
8. See steps 1-6
9. Keep doing steps 1-6
10. Voila the perfect brainstorm

What deck uses Hall? Genuinely curious

So I've been trying to trade into Legacy for years, and I don't know why (there's no local scene). Anyway, trading in isn't working and I've started a new job where I can start saving up and buying in. Has Veeky Forums ever considered posting when they find good sales and clearances online? I thought CFB's "Flash Sale" looked ok, but it's not.

The best place I've found is TCGPlayer, and just being patient and watching price trends to see if they're on an upward or downward trend. Idk if any other anons have a better source.

The pieces have been arriving over the last couple of days. This deck is silly. Going to need to practice a lot, taking a long time deciding what to do and in what order.

tl;dr please post online sales you find

They have a weekly sales thread over a mtgfinance subreddit

Anyone planning on going to any GPs or another kind of tournament in 2017? I'm going to my first GP, unfortunately it's modern but I'm excited for the experience

Cannot wait for the next GP in my area so I can play some legacy!

If I feel good enough by next year I'm even thinking of flying out to one of the legacy GPs.

Theres a Legacy 3k in Los Angeles Oct 30, but being a legacy noob I dont want to fuck up.

Sadly, Wizards have stopped Legacy GPs in Europe. I was at the last two and really enjoyed them, but now it's only Eternal Weekend, Bazaar of Moxen and MKM Series, I guess.

The next GP in Australia is going to be on the other end of the country, and there's no fucking way I'm buying plane tickets just so I can play sanctioned Legacy

Drive through the outback don't be a pussy

I go to every legacy event in my area. Next is late October, then 2 in November

Sure, I'll make an 18 hour drive so I can play Legacy side events.

Probably Deadguy Ale. I've been meaning to add it for a while now.

Oh yeah. That is a real deck that is missing. I couldn't think of any.

I'm planning on going to the Baltimore open in November. I'm not sure when the next American GP is.

Dont worry, I was kidding. Australia is scary. All the creatures there have infect.

And deathtouch.

Ten steps to a perfect Brainstorm. As a general rule, I try not to play a land until after Brainstorm, especially if I'm on a combo deck.

1.) Is this Brainstorm for filter, for draw, or for protection? Play accordingly.
2.) Cast Brainstorm.
3.) You can either put the chaff back, float your key pieces away (typically against Cabal Therapy), or dig to find more cards.
4.) If you didn't have a land or a fetch, play the one you drew. If you didn't draw one and didn't have one before Brainstorm, you're shit out of luck, unless you put pieces you actually wanted to keep back on top of the library.

Using Brainstorm isn't intuitive but that doesn't mean it's hard. You just have to know when to pop it and what "mode" to use (filter, draw, protection).

Not legacy related but I have to get it out
>Play casual free for all with a couple of friends
>Usually a lot of fun, but can get heated sometimes
>One of my friends is really arrogant and hates to lose
>3 days ago
>Our usually late night play session
>The arrogant guy is winning and starts his combat phase
>He proceeds to alpha strike me with all his creatures, for a total of 30+ dmg
>I only have one blocker and 16 HP
>He got a smug as fuck smile on his face
>I proceed to declare my blocker and think its over
>but then another one of our group use fog, and completely fucks the arrogant guy over
>We all start laughing like hell, except him
>Comepletely fucking buttblasted, he starts slamming his deck and throws cards all over the place and yell something gibberish about cancer and fog
I haven't laughed so much for in a while, but holy hell how can someone get so mad/serious over a casual game of Magic?

I wouldn't interfere with someone turning their creatures sideways, man. Serious case of the feel bads.

>you didn't tap Top and flip Terminus off the top of your library
Now if you REALLY wanted to see some salt...

I fucking wish I could afford a Miracles deck (parfait looks fun as well)
One day, laddie

>spin a top back for a terminus

My favorite play Miracles pulls off

Rate my dreck tappedout.net/mtg-decks/doom-fit/

0/10 needs more Nefarious Lich

"The best cure for a big ego is a little failure."

My LGS is having their first ever Legacy fnm this Friday and I'm torn over whether to play DDFT or Nourishing Lich or Belcher

Have you tried playing Deflecting Palm or something similar against him?

>channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-defeat-miracles/
>Goblins is not the best way to beat it

Eat a dick. I crush with my goblin deck all the time.

Save Lich for a big tournament. You don't want people knowing about it until it's time to make a scene.

Holy shit im going to try this
Thanks user

Goblins was an amazing matchup agains Miracles until Monastery Mentor got printed.

Yeah you're right. I'll probably play DDFT until the newborn legacy scene here stabilizes. Don't want to drive people away by breaking the format. I'm just worried that a young scene=budget players=burn players and ddft''s burn match up is horrid.

Oooooooor you could play Lich, and then watch Burn kiddies cry as you Nourishing Shoal the Wurm for 15 on turn 1, just to piss them off.

Well if burn is that prevalent I will.

>Legacy Splinter Twin is $3,000
I would rant and complain I think I'm just going to sit here and play it on Cockatrice for the next 6 hours.

I shall await your souvenir of salt
just print it out man, nothing stopping you to play the deck

I wasn't aware Splinter Twin was even possible in Legacy, I thought it was too fragile.

You can play it as a Stompy deck, with Chalice and Ancient Tomb and Blood Moon

>1. Cast brainstorm
>2. Look at the top three
>3. Look at hand
>4. Look at the top three
>5. Remember it's not Ponder
>6. Mix in with hand
>7. Assess hand
>8. Put two lands back on top
>9. Play a fetch
>10. Crack fetch
Sheepishly pass the turn.

I can imagine the mental facepalm of the judge at grand prix-es coming over to tables where someone just shuffled their library during the resolution of Brainstorm, or where one put two cards from their hand on top of their library during the resolution of Ponder.

Jesus Christ it's amazing how idiots are capable of saying so very little with so, so many words

Cards are meant to be played!

And then people playing budget will be screwed.

No?

Tbh that's assuming that most budget players are burn.

Also, it's kinda obvious why Burn isn't being that prevalent in newer sets, due to how it's common enough to be budget

>oh WotC finally printed a decent burn spell at instant sp-
>"creatures only"
wow its nothing

Yeah I'm not really sure what the meta will be like. I know there are about 4 or 5 people with complete, non-burn legacy decks. Then there are a couple burn players (not sure if budget or they actually like burn). Then there will probably be some wildcards, and new players looking to enter the format from modern, which means probably burn or merfolk or something. I just don't want to autolose to hAlf the field. i'd rather play lich and auto lose to the entire field

Honestly red has a lot of design space to be used.

But
>muh fireballs and goblins

Can this card be utilized in Legacy?

I want red mill where you exile the top cards of your opponents library and get to play em.

They have better ways to get artifacts. no.
The only thing this card is good for is some kind of Boros Rec + Pariah meme combo.

>keep on skipping forward because the retard keeps on adding completely useless self-congratulatory statements.
>literally hear him bragging about his fucking grass out of context.
>talks about his own tax evasion on the internet
Fucking why?

>not knowing about Rudy
Ignorance is bliss I guess

That's more typically UB's domain. See Villainous Wealth and Ashiok.

They printed a rare in conspiracy 2 that does that very effect, and frankly it feels more red to steal people's cards then black.

The new grenzo from conspiracy does just this.

Yes and I love him and want to touch his naughty bits.

Someday good red spells and creatures will be in Standard. On that day I think I will go back and play, just to have more formats to play in. But once red goes away, so will I.

There's a cool UR deck in Standard now called Izzet Machinegun and I want to build it a little bit. It's a shame I'm too busy saving money to, you know, fucking live like an adult.

Some of them even have Skulk, landwalking and Flash.

With ancient tombs and Platinum Emperion as a target, maybe. The only problem is most of the decks I'd play this in want to play Chalice. It certainly has potential

Plat-E is the only good target for it if you don't want to cast a spell like Drom Command on it, which is good, sure, but feels like a mediocre thing to spend 4 mana tutoring for in this kind of format.