/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Volo's Guide to Monster's Preview
media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/VoloPreviews.zip

>UA Revised Ranger
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

>Last Session
Is the soultrade a buyer's or seller's market?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1cbxJRfvBtI&feature=youtu.be&t=1h41m27s
img00.deviantart.net/0c04/i/2015/348/6/e/haasenburgh_by_sapiento-d9k3de7.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How the fuck do I map out a small city?

First answer, get Vornheim and alter the tables.

Second answer, don't. Map general areas in the city, and make a few random tables to work out what happens if the players go wandering in that area. Generally cities are less about the exact route, and more about knowing the place exists. You'd never find that great club wandering your city at night, but as soon as you know the address you can go right to it.

City adventures are more about who and what you know, and what the consequences are when you kick the anthill.

Alright, thanks

>Is the soultrade a buyer's or seller's market?
I'd say seller's. Lots of people wanting to sell their souls, not so many Devils or Feys interested in buying all the shit they're offered to.

I'm DMing Curse of Strahd for a nice group, and the only problem I have with the setting is that I'm a bit afraid of Castle Ravenloft.

It just confuses the fuck out of me. Looking back at the maps and trying to figure what goes where, it's kinda overwhelming.

Is there some kind of simplified plan, or even better a flowchart for the castle?

I must be retarded or something.

Okay TG, regale me with your Enlarge/Reduce stories

Bonus points for Gnome dwarf and halfling casters

What is the best class for playing pic related?

Gunslinger.

YOUR SOUL IS FORFEIT

/this

Just deal with each area as it comes. Generally a group's only going to get through 4-5 interesting rooms a session, so you'll have ample time to work out consequences between sessions as they explore.

youtube.com/watch?v=1cbxJRfvBtI&feature=youtu.be&t=1h41m27s

Someone please cut Craven's quote into its own video.

There's a traditional map in the mega. Try cross referencing between the iso map and that map.

No Mercy Percy

Jesus, that's the biggest stat sink I've seen since the paladin.
Dex for Aiming
Int for Tinkering
Wis for Crit

And that's even without touching God Star: Consititution

Hail Flail Snail!

Why do the 5e of this? Have they been ready the Very Stupid Monster D&D ever did?

In that case, I hope the Duckbunny is there.

The Warlock archetype in SCAG seems pretty fitting for a creepy occult medic.

All the Volo shit looks gay as fuck.

If I theoretically am starting a campaign at level 6 with 20 strength, what should I be to have fun / be extremely gamebreakingly effective?

wizard

I shall hear nothing against weird stupid monsters. Would you rather have another Slightly Different Zombie, or perhaps an Angry Oddly-Coloured Man?

20 str at 6 isn't all that amazing, and what with maximum stats capping at 20, and assuming you spent your lvl 4 ability score increase on the 18-20 bump, you're really nothing special at all. Good luck >>be extremely gamebreakingly effective?
in 5e.

I want to add one or two more events to Zephyros Tower in SKT. Does anyone have some good ideas? What kind of creatures/enemies would a level 4 Party find in the sky?

I've thought that maybe some kind of young Dragon attacks the castle, while Zephyros is busy communicating with other planes and doesn't want to be disturbed. So the players have to chase away the dragon, either by combat or roleplaying. I'm not sure what the goal or intentions of the dragon could be.

what about 20 charisma at 5?

This. I want crazy and kooky monsters that my players may not have encountered or dealt with before. Sure, Flail Snails are silly, but the players I am running my game for have probably never even heard of it! They'll be confused as fuck and it would be a truly unique encounter for them.

>It just confuses the fuck out of me. Looking back at the maps and trying to figure what goes where, it's kinda overwhelming.

That's because (((Wizards of the Coast))) rushed it to completion because the community was about to give up on Fifth Ed and it's lazy release schedule.

Of course now all they make is setting specific content to try to shill settings no one fucking cares about (Dark Sun is a literal Dune rip off with less finesse) so why would I buy anything from ((((Wizards)))) anyway?

wtf are you saying?

>triple brackets
>calling Dark Sun a Dune ripoff
>quad brackets
Are you baiting, son?

> Have sex with young female elf who has been smitten with you for a long time
> cast enlarge on your penis during sex
> elf girl immediately starts shrieking in agony as your penis stretches her vagina painfully
> tears through her pussy walls into her abdomen
> shreds her uterus and kills the baby inside that she didn't even know about yet
> cock strains against her ribcage and blood pours over your balls and legs
> she writes in agony, her twisting making you cum even harder into her pericaridum
> pull out, leaving her moaning as her guts drain out of her burst vagina

Check out the DM's Guild and look up Sean McGovern's Curse of Strahd guide. He breaks everything down to it's basics and goes from there, offering outline info and details on major quests and sidequests. As for the map, there are regular maps out there for Ravenloft and such so just do quick google searches for those.

I miss some monster that didn't make the cut to the first MM, I guess I'll not name the Nymph or the Nixie because it may fall into that category you name as "oddly coloured humanoid", but let's say from the 3.5 MM:

Allip, Arrowhawk, Barghest, Devourer, Frost Worm, Howler, Krenshar, Otyugh, Phantom Fungus, Ravid and the Vargouille.

And I really really WANT a Phoenix.

Putting up the Flail Snail as a preview? Darn. Give me the Duckbunny instead.

Otyughs are in the MM, and Vargouilles are confirmed for VGtM already.

I miss bodaks.

Barbarian. Grab a greataxe and Great Weapon Master, reckless attack every turn for fuck-off-huge damage.

It should be named "Volo's guide to LGBT Monsters of San Francisco that Mike Mearls masturbates thinking about" . It will be so fucking cringe if they have some unicorn variant in there.

Is battlemaster any good? Specifically, is a longbowman battlemaster any good?

>...

So! Have you made any cute characters lately? :3

Thanks for the tip. Taking a look.

Yep, I've seen it, but I'd still prefer a flowchart. Maybe I'll make one if I wrap my head around the castle itself!

You're right, of course, but I like getting a "bigger picture". Plus, I have to translate the damn thing since we're not playing in english.

It's the best fighter and works with any weapon.

If your DM will let you point buy up to 16, or you roll a 16, the half-elf or tiefling CHA bonus will bring you up to 18 and the level 4 ASI will bring you up to 20.

Battle Master is great, and most of the maneuvers can be done at range, including trip attack (knock a flying enemy out of the air) and pushing attack (knock an enemy off a cliff with an arrow). If you grab sharpshooter, precision strike lets you deal huge damage without worrying about that accuracy penalty.

You sound angry. About dumb things.

It looks like because of how you add superiority dice to damage and how you decide to use a maneuver after you hit, that you basically just decide when you want to crit. I like that a lot.

I've made a cleric. She was once a young airhead who wanted nothing but going on adventures and being important and famous. Now she's a weary, cynical single mother, burdened not only by a monstrous child, but also by being chosen by a god as his prophet.
All of his previous prophets died horrible, pointless deaths, as did the god himself.

Is that cute?

>monstrous child
Oh boy.

Well, it's complicated. She's not actually the biological mother, and this child is actually a dragonborn (and another PC) - in DM's setting, basically nobody even knows what they are.

I dunno about cute but it does sound pretty badass! Would group and rp with.

Battle master is probably the best fighter archetype atm, and they can work pretty solidly with an archery fighting style.

Wyvern males dueling each other midair for a female wyvern that's circling nearby.

Lost teenager pegasus that was separated from the herd.

Wizard in an ugly fur outfit that botched a new spell and was sent careening skyward. They splat on the outside of the tower, but don't fall off it immediately.

Old as fuck manticore that's looking for somewhere to lay down and die/go to a totally not elephant graveyard.

Optionally, have them see shit going down below them and see if they wanna bug the wizard to take a detour. Maybe ogres/orcs are pillaging a frontier hamlet. They see some big nasty like a dire bear being attacked by other stuff. A seemingly abandoned caravan, 8 wagons total, in the middle of the High Road.

how's the EK ?

Before SCAG, it sucked. After it, don't know - it's probably better now that melee cantrips exist.

The flail snail makes 5 flail attacks. After hitting
a creature once the snail fail has disadvantage
on subsequent attack rolls until the end of it's turn.

Snail Flail +4 to hit, hit 5 (1d6 + 2) bludgeoning damage

It's fantastic defensively and for utility but if you want most of your offense to come from spells you'll be disappointed.

Anyone translated the PF witch to 5e?

>Specifically, is a longbowman battlemaster any good?
My first 5e PC was an archer battlemaster, fucking tactical as fuck, I had a great time.

My group tried, it was horrible, I heard lots of stories about it, not even one ended well.

Just play a warlock.

Not only incompatible systems, they're also incompatible genres.

And now I realized you said witch, I misread PF to 5e. Anyone, no, we didn't try Witch specifically, but I don't think it'd work either.

Alright guys, my character just died and GM has given me permission to use the new ranger from unearthed arcana to roll a Beastmaster. Since we're level 9, hes given me a bit more freedom for nonstandard pets, and it basically letting me take any beast up to CR 1/2 that isn't stupid, large creatures are fine.

So, with 9hd, two ASI, +4 proficiency, two skills, what fun can we have with beasts, then planning the character around the pet.

Ape, +4 Str gives you a STR20 buddy, 63hp, AC16, +9 to hit for 1d6+9 at both melee and ranged. Able to lift and carry due to being vaugely humanoid with hands, you could even argue that he could help out with more dexterious skills. Also has a very robust +9 Athletics to grapple and shove foes and literally go ape.

if I use large creatures, Elk with +4 Str gives you again, STR20 mount, 63hp, 14AC, +9 to hit for 1d6+9, potentially 3d6+9 with DC17 prone, Hooves for 2d4+9.

Crocidile with +3 Str and +1 Con gives you 72hp, AC16 with a pretty brutal +8 to hit, 1d10+8 damage with automatic restrain, DC 16 to escape. Pretty brutal but this is getting homebrew ontop of playtest material allowing large creatures and even a CR-half pet although the standard list includes a few.

Giant Poisonus snake with +2 Dex and +2 Con leaves you 63hp, AC19 with a 10ft reach, +9 to hit bite for 1d4+9, DC14 poison for 3d6+4 damage seems the heftiest direct damage dealer but poisn-resistances are common.

I saw someone statted up Giant Crab as something pretty cool too.

I'm leaning towards being a Sword-and-Board ranger with an ape, using shield-master to shove things to the ground and having my pet monkey grapple the crap out of them #Harambe.

Any thoughts or suggestions? The campaign is going to be coastal/exploration themed, so I did play with the idea of having a reef-shark companion but he would only be usable in aquatic combat which even in a coastal campaign, may be uncommon.

dammit seriously? I wanted to make an offesive EK, i've seen some of the spells and htye seems pretty decent .
But it seems that your opinion they aren't or maybe the spell slot economy doesn't work for that?

The EK has too few spell slots and their weapon damage is too high to make focusing on offensive spells worth it.

It is very good yes. I very much liked menacing shot, since it prevents foes from closing in on you and gives them disadvantage if they stick around. Big fat ogre getting ready to run you downwith his great club? Nope he is too scared of the pointy owie sticks man. A fantastic CC element for a fighter to deliver at range.

> Be beastmaster ranger
> Pick ape companion, it starts with intelligence 6
> Give it investigation and religion skills
> Bump it's intelligene on levels 4 and 8
> On level 8, it's probably smarter than the party's paladin and more knowledgable at theology too.
> Meet Harambe de Torquemada, the monkey inquisitor.

EK damage spells are shit for a couple of reasons, you get them too fucking late, remember that your spells go up to 4th level, by the time you can cast something like fireball, enemies laugh at fireballs. You don't have many spell slots so you can't even spam weak (at the level you get them) spells. Spell damage don't level up, if you want to increase damage with a spell you have to use a higher spell slot, which you don't have (cantrips are an exception).

Your best bet is Abjuration, and for damaging spells try cantrips like GFB and BB so you can use warmagic feature (Cast cantrip+attack)

/this, also they don't get arcane recovery in any form so they need to be conservative with spell slots.

witchbolt and magic missles aren't that good then? Cause i always though witchbolt seems pretty decent.
fyi i've never played i just dm and i'm not really into casters.

Trap options, they're both ubershit.

thanks for the explanation, although it made me really sad.

Wth is Vornheim?

If you want to hit people with the sword and also be really good at magic, just play as a bladesinger. Or a valor bard.

Is still a pretty solid subclass, the problem is that evocation, beyond cantrips, does almost nothing for it.

You shut the fuck up. Magic missile kicks ass.

Death or Life Domain Cleric of a neutral life/death god, god of resurrection (Pharasma in Golarion, don't remember what it is in FR).

Kind of want to play that now.

how can i make 5e combat faster?

I really dislike bards, both mechanically, and for the fluff.
But thatnks for the info anyway.
gotcha

Just draw big blocks of buildings, only detail the important stuff.
img00.deviantart.net/0c04/i/2015/348/6/e/haasenburgh_by_sapiento-d9k3de7.jpg

Don't know anything about PF Witch, but if I were to play a witch, it'd probably be either a Druid or a Wizard; maybe a Tome Warlock, but most likely a Wizard, because I like Wizards.

> Be beastmaster ranger.
> Pick ape companion, it starts with intelligence 6 and dexterity 14.
> Give it stealth and perception skills.. And a heavy crossbow.
>Bump its dexterity at levels 4 and 8.
>On level 8, it's a better shot than the party's beastmaster ranger, and more stealthy to boot.
>Meet Harambe los Muertos, dreaded wilderness sniper.

lol!

>PF witch can fly almost at will at 2nd level, cast sleep at will the same level, curse at will at the same level, and a lot of at wills. She also can turn her hair into a living weapon, etc
...you're fucked, user. Nothing comes close to that even at 10th level

>that preview
GODDAMNIT I'M WAY TOO FUCKING EXCITED ABOUT THIS GODDAMN BOOK.

Blame fighters for being too good this edition.

Give all the monsters 0 hit points, 0 attack, and make them not exist.

Go warlock, convert any hexes not covered by spells or invocations to spells/invocations.

My girlfriend is really into Wicca and as her first character she reallyw anted to play a Witch that came from a bloodline of warrior witches and all that kind of fluff so since the Druidic Circles (irl i'm talking) and the Wiccan teachings costantly overlap in what they strive for, which is to love and protect nature i just had her be a druid and literally just said that the country from hwere she's from simply called witches what in the main continent are known as druids.

If you're searching for the wrong interpetration of what is a Witch, which is the christian fueled imaginery of dark arts user and shit then that is another story.
A Warlock is your best bet.

Even if fighter were shit, casting those evo spells that come too late and are to few would be stupid

DM style question. How are DMs running multiple monsters with spells?

When I run monsters, I don't want to have to flip through books or anything. I want everything on a few sheets of paper ready to go. So I have to copy paste all the statblocks I need into a word doc and its a pain in the ass.

And if any of those monsters have spells- I have to copy paste all the spells so I have a list. Prepping is so much more work than in 4e with all the digital tools they have.

I run 5e because the combat is faster, but the prep is so much work. Am I doing it wrong? How do you folks reference monsters and spells (aside from memorization).

Are there any feats that work well with Gunslinger?

Memorize all possible actions and tell you PCs what they do. Or just adjust your encounters.

I mean I like the fighter and the battlemaster would be my pick if i ever played. I just wanted to make an EK npc with cool offensive spellcasting, that's all.

sharpshooter

thisand i would say luck when you roll isfires.

Remember NPCs don't follow the same rules as PCs, you can just give them what ever you want.

I keep one of the spell compendium websites open so I can quickly ctrl-F for them. Hardcodex.ru and dnd-spells.com are the two big ones that are still up.

Fighter1/SorcererX, use sorcery points to cast quickened spells so you can attack and cast cool spells at the same time.

This, make a gestalt fighter10/wizard10 and make it CR 5

I was really just asking out of curiosity, I think you can probably write one up. The PF Witch is much closer to Wizard than Warlock, so I don't really rate that suggestion.

I'd take Wizard as the base, throw out the schools and look at 2 or 3 class paths: one focused on hexes (maybe giving up cantrips for them), one focused on ritual magic, and one focused on gishiness with the hair and transformations.