Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Friendly reminder to tell us what 3pp your game allows if you need character building help.

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq

Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warriors playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1dX4UYdtwTQKhY71Q45IHLtcu193zq1ZO5jHQ5_PnTl8/edit

Bloodforge: Infusions playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit

Legendary Vigilantes playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit

DSP's Forrest started a patreon for her own 3pp company: patreon.com/forrestfirestudios

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1uGQxxU0hRQhEWmjbsSKkY8vFzz-6KpElcsR5p3B4vf0/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing
myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=372783
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Let's talk about how Spheres of Power is massively better than Paizo magic

>Conjuration
>Weather

>1 level dips everywhere
>low casters suck total dick

Yeah, nah.

Reposting since it got swallowed and forgotten last thread

Howdy folks, that one initiating homebrew user here again, the one who made the Lord of the Lash and friends. Dropping my latest project: The Temporal Trigger, an Initiating Gunslinger that specializes apply time manipulation to perferm sick gun tricks a la Neo from the Matrix and folks like that.
>docs.google.com/document/d/1uGQxxU0hRQhEWmjbsSKkY8vFzz-6KpElcsR5p3B4vf0/edit?usp=sharing

Now, I especially NEED critique for this one, since I feel in its initial form its a tad too overpowered, but how and where it is overpowered is kinda eluding me, so I need you guys's help to balance it since I'm an idiot.

Again, Critique and commentary both here and on the doc are heavily appreciated, and I WILL try to adress all criticism that is given and listen when you guys call me a moron.

If you mean 'better' in the sense that I can play the character I want instead of yet-another wizard of cleric variant, I agree.

Eh, not massively. Mostly yeah, but it has some problems, like Weather and Armorist

Though I will say I'm loving how some of the handbooks are looking, especially Illuminator and Nyctomancer

Plus my DM greenlit me to test it out and build a Sphere Inquisitor, which has me excited

Conjuration is only as bad as it is for normal action economy reasons, and Weather is an example of trying to do too much with a concept that has enough scope for like four talents.

And low-level casters suck dick anyway.

> Pathfinder general
> OP pic is not a kitsune dickgirl yiffing
Huh.

Yeah, Incanter is too dippable.

I want to do construct crafting and modifications, but am not sure how the simplest way to go about it are if I only want to have ONE construct following me around at any given time, to keep things simple. What would be some good modifications I can pitch to my GM? What are some fun things YOU'VE done with Craft Construct, /pfg/?

There are some spheres which are decent for low-level casters - mostly utility spheres like Divination, and War isn't bad for low casters. Rallies don't even use CL.

Death also ain't bad.

Negative levels are unpleasant no matter your level.

I-Is this a kitsune manwhore and aspiring paladin?

Thank you!

What about a cute 15 year old catboy Steelfist Commando then, level 2? He's a prince of the catfolk kingdom!

>manwhore and aspiring paladin
What patron deity? Sune?

Clearly Shelyn.

>Be a Sphere Paladin of Dammerich
>Take Death Sphere
>Take Drawback the prevents you from raising the dead
Then dip some levels in Warlord with Unquiet Grave

I would rather not make fetish characters.

>can use prestidigitation to glamor his tail in her color scheme
>or his other tail

Anyone that can make it to purple is a keeper.

What are the best Wiz\Sroc buff spells to use on your martials? Per spell level. Excluding Haste.

Do you have a martial that does a crap load of damage with a full-round attack? Telekinetic Charge them into position!

My players were willing to fork over the money for a true res at level 8 to get back a player. I told them level 17 oracles/clerics are highly uncommon and that diamonds that large even less so. They were going to have to do a fair amount of travel and hard work to get what they needed.

In response they threw a bitch fit. I thought I was being reasonable. Am I wrong?

Ash gray hair > Blonde hair

You were being reasonable if this was a game where you emphasized roleplay and immersion.

I didn't emphasize it. I just said the world had internal logic and it wasn't just a magic mart setting.

Stand your ground and don't compromise unless their suggestion fits existing internal logic.

AND WE'RE BACK

I've updated the Malefex to incorporate feedback; you can find the playtest here - docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing

Changes include:

> Wrack altered to deal damage equal to your Wisdom modifier against cursed creatures
> Wording cleaned up on Know-It-All and Bad Penny
> Malefactions now target Fort or Will (your choice when you use them)
> Individual malefactions cleaned-up and/or rebalanced

Expect more malefactions and/or archetypes Soon(tm)

That's good, thanks

I'm becoming more enthusiastic about the AP I have been drafting.

I'm going to post a brief summary so people can tell me it's a terrible idea.

>Engines of War
>Being goblinoid is a curse, a constant roil of agony and fear under the heels of greater races. First they were slaves, then soldiers, then vermin, and now finally outcasts. However you seek to be outcast no longer, and instead become conquerers. The Adventure Path follows a war of conquest, of a great unified nation of goblinoids and lesser giantkind. You are members of Clan Mordrek, a small group swept up in the tides of war. Can you lead your people to greater position among the goblinoid clans, and lead your people to victory? In the wake of war you may be able to find not only your clan's past, but the forgotten history of the goblinoid people, and what lay beyond the clouded annals of time.

>Book one follows the Siege of Rohas Vel, the eastern jewel in the crown of the Dellish empire and the uncovered in the Temple of Pel Who Bit the Sun.

>Introduces several subsystems to the AP.

>Conquest
>Conquest is essentially if the players complete certain events in certain ways, acquire certain items, or make certain alliances they gain conquest. This gives them better or worse situations later on in the AP. There are guidelines for creating new conquests. Each divergent event has brackets for where the players currently fit.

>Mysteries & Truth
>The AP delves into the tortured history of the goblinoid people, and as such you uncover many of the lost mysteries of species. Similar to conquest certain items can be researched to gain truth. Truth can then reveal important secrets that can help you in the AP. Both players and NPCs can research such items using an adapted version of research from ultimate intrigue.

I'd play it.
Will there be dynamic kingdom conflicts?

myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=372783

Would you allow this character as a GM?

The idea is based on conquest the kingdom conflicts will change. However I do not want to have Kingdom Building be a major part of the AP as that is a mire I don't want to force people into. Conquest would be a highly simplified version.

I was thinking of separating it by nation. Basically you have a score for how well each front is doing, but even that may be a little over complex.

Don't even go there, dude. It's an AP about conquering with a goblin nation at your behest. That's straightup the territory of kingdom building and political strife, but with goblins!
I kinda doubt people who would be squeemish about "Oh no, rules for doing stuff, whatever will I do oh noooo" would even be interested in that kind of AP in the first place.

That depends... are we running this on F-list?

I rate 8/8 would definitely give it a go, will you be playtesting it at any time?

No .

>. It's an AP about conquering with a goblin nation at your behest. That's straightup the territory of kingdom building and political strife
The kingdom building mechanics are pure ass.

Promethean Disciple Alchemist. Get the DM to allow you to refluff your construct when you want to.

Too bad.

Don't you want a 1-hex and 1-city nation of nothing but banks, banks, banks, mills, banks, banks, mills, banks, banks, and more banks?

>kitsune boy whore isn't a fetish character
>catboy monk is

>move faster than a F1 while zig-zagging
>actually better target than being still

No, the kingdom building rules are horse shit, that's the problem. Not the fact that there are more rules.

What do you plan for the player of the deceased character to do while the group spends 5 or 6 sessions before they can bring his character back to life?

Sacred Prostitute can be made not fetishy. I don't want to make ONLY fetish characters.

Catfolk are more fetishy than kitsune.

Leshy investigators aren't fetishy at all!

>Sacred Prostitute can be made not fetishy.

How? I want to play a Sacred Prostitute but I don't want my group thinking it's too fetishy (even though it kinda is).

It's Basil of Baker Street!

>I don't want to make ONLY fetish characters.
you might be in a wrong thread

Don't just try and come onto everyone you meet. Even just straight up prostitutes can be non-fetishy.

I do like Leshy. I shall do so soon enough (I am at work at the moment, make the sacred whore on break).

One talent spent on the Light sphere (plus two Drawbacks that you won't really care about) gets you always-on +1 size for damage and reach, which is a great boon for a melee half-caster. And that's in addition to the minor utility of the glows themselves.

The plan is to test it as the same time as the Unchained Fighter/Cavalier/Gunslinger.

As well as my race stats, which are the following:
Bugbear, Monkey Goblin, Gubbin (aquatic goblins), Gremlin, Meretroll (actually mistaken for a troll, it's a larger race of goblinoid), and Brawdwins (planar proto-goblins).

>>Unquiet Grave
Is this an official (or at least made by an actual DSP dev) discipline? I've seen it mentioned before, but I've never seen an actual PDF or anything.

Yeah, it got published in Lords of the Night. I wrote the thing.

Please give feedback on malefex I'm lonely.

Hey /pfg/, I haven't played d&d since I was a kid and just got invited to a game with my uncle and a few of my cousins. The game runs 3.5, but I wasn't sure where I could ask questions, so I figured this was the closest place.

My question is: How would one go about making a spellsword character? Also, more generally, what are the steps to go through when making a character? I have been googling for hours and am kind of lost in the huge amount of information overload that I am finding.

Ah, okay, don't have that one. Oh well.

And I just downloaded the new playtest. Sadly, I won't get a chance to actually play one for a while though, since my only current group is more into 5e and FATE.

Well yea, but it sucks. It stacking with preservationist doesn't make it not suck dick. Even with construct modifications being greenlit by your GM, most of the modifications are either boring or bad, so you'll still have to look at homebrewing some.

My post was poorly worded, I just wanted to see if anyone homebrewed any construct stuff I could take inspiration from.

>Brawdwins (planar proto-goblins).
GAAAAYYYYY

The only good outsider is a dead outsider!

Prime Material Pride Worldwide!

>Monkey Goblin
Don't these already have PC stats?

They're based on barghest. The other planned options I had also dealt with them. Which include:
>a summoner archetype
>barghest speaker witch archetype

Other stuff I wanted to do was:
>goblinoid bloodrager & sorcerer bloodlines
>druid & ranger archetypes using goblin dogs
>neutral evil anti-paladin archetype
>goblins oracle mystery

If it has not become obvious I really fucking love goblinoids. The three iconics for the AP would be goblinoids, and the three iconics for the UC Fighter/Cavalier/Gunslinger were planned to be goblinoids (gunslinger = goblin, cavalier = hobgoblin, fighter = bugbear)

They do, but they are underdeveloped and don't have a lot of options. They are very much an afterthought.

First thoughts: there should be a way to play around with the fact that you don't have to be able to see your target for Malefactions. Feats/Knacks to target a creature within range by speaking the target's name instead of knowing what square it's in, or Malefactions that make it easier to force targets out of cover or protective areas. I just get this image of the Malefex hearing a little rustle, narrowing their eyes, speaking a word, and suddenly the spy that's been hiding in the bushes starts hostile levitating up into the air, or something. (Keep in mind that I'm tying this as I read so I don't forget things, so if there are things like this later on, I haven't got to them yet).

You should specify that being helpless/silenced does not inherently prevent you from using your Malefactions, that's just a side-effect of the Somatic and Verbal components. As it stands, a strict reading would cause you to be unable to use a Malefaction while silenced, even if you have telepathy. For example, if you word it more like this:
"Invokingamalefactionisaswiftactioninvolvingbothverbalandsomaticcomponents;thus,ahelplessorsilencedmalefexmaynotinvokehermalefactions,thoughshesuffersnofailurechanceforbeingdeafened. A Malefex that can communicate telepathically can subsitute telepathic communication for verbal components, allowing them to use Malefactions even while silenced."

Bad Penny should specify a maximum weight/size for the target object. Can I turn the king's castle into my penny, for example? I mean, 3.x has always been fuzzy on when something is considered one object or a collection of many objects, and there are a lot of shenanigans I can see happening if there aren't any restrictions on how big my penny can be.

(cont.)

The general Pathfinder rule is that you can't add the same ability score to something twice, so if you take Bare-knuckle Brawler, that prevents you from gaining your Wrack bonus damage once you get your Wisdom to attack and damage at level 6.

Mean Streets Education seems a bit weak, even after the first 6 levels where it's not even as good as a feat. I'd make it the more common "half level to Initiative checks" that's usually paired with surprise-round stuff. Surprise rounds are rare in many groups, so an Initiative bonus goes a long way to make the ability more useful during the 99% of rounds that aren't surprise rounds. I'd even add a half level bonus to Perception checks to avoid being surprised.

Street Rat seems a little weird, especially for (Ex). 100 feet is quite a distance, I don't really see having 20 people within 100 feet of you being enough to hide. I'd either give them the ability to hide and move at full speed (even while using Stealth) when actually within a crowd of at least 20 people, and then maybe a few other minor abilities based on crowds (like not granting a bonus for being flanked, or gaining bonuses when outnumbered, or something).

I'll look over the rest later, but those are my immediate thoughts on the first few pages.

Reimu's wearing a butt plug in that picture, isn't she.

This explores the possibility there are pictures of Reimu in which she is not wearing a butt plug.

What's the best class if I want to play a merchant type of character?

Cleric of Abadar

She's a shrine maiden, she needs to stay pure!

You can add your ability score to something twice, you just can't add an untyped bonus twice. So for example a Scaled Fist Monk/Lunar Oracle with Prophetic Armor would add their Cha to their AC twice because they're different bonuses, but a Monk/Sacred Fist/Elemental Ascetic would only get Wis to AC once because they're all untyped.

Someone explain Psions to me

Bard with Charisma and Intelligence being your main two stats.

Don't know if Bards get Appraise as a class skill, but if they don't than just trait into it ("For the Money" is THE SINGLE BEST TRAIT for a merchant.)

Ah, okay. I've never seen that clarification, just Paizo people saying you can't add the same ability twice. That's good to know, actually, do you have an official source on that?

Thus she uses the butt.

>No. An ability bonus, such as "Strength bonus", is considered to be the same source for the purpose of bonuses from the same source not stacking. However, you can still add, for instance “a deflection bonus equal to your Charisma modifier” and your Charisma modifier. For this purpose, however, the paladin's untyped "bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws" from divine grace is considered to be the same as "Charisma bonus (if any)", and the same would be true for any other untyped "bonus equal to her [ability score] bonus" constructions.
paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9sgk

The important line here is

>you can still add, for instance “a deflection bonus equal to your Charisma modifier” and your Charisma modifier.

Getting fucked up the ass is not pure.

> First thoughts: there should be a way to play around with the fact that you don't have to be able to see your target for Malefactions. Feats/Knacks to target a creature within range by speaking the target's name instead of knowing what square it's in, or Malefactions that make it easier to force targets out of cover or protective areas. I just get this image of the Malefex hearing a little rustle, narrowing their eyes, speaking a word, and suddenly the spy that's been hiding in the bushes starts hostile levitating up into the air, or something. (Keep in mind that I'm tying this as I read so I don't forget things, so if there are things like this later on, I haven't got to them yet).

Eenteresting. I do need more malefactions...

> Telepathic verbal components

Is this a thing that can be done normally? The thing to keep in mind is running into perception-of-power issues, which are not necessarily the same as actual power issues.

> Bad Penny

Urgh. Whyyyyy do you do this to me? I'll see what I can do.

> Wrack stacking

Handled below by user

> Mean Streets

Half level to Init checks is a /lot/ of bonus, though. I'd say Wis mod but then I'm treading on Inquisitor. I'll revisit this.

> Street Rat

Yeah it seemed odd to me too but I'm not sure how to handle it. This one needs some tinkering...

Thanks for the feedback thus far!

Get out of here you hussy!

Is Pathfinder kinda solo/GM-less friendly? Really interested in giving this a go but can't decide if I should just stick to adventure card games or finally delve into something massive like this.

>Half level to Init checks is a /lot/ of bonus, though. I'd say Wis mod but then I'm treading on Inquisitor. I'll revisit this.

Wis mod to Init is a lot more bonus for almost all levels than half level. Forrest ran into this with the spellburst savant.

Pls no bully

Also a fair point. And Diviners get a ton of Init as they go through, but...then again comparing to Wizard makes me feel bad inside.

Okay, cool, thanks.

> Is this a thing that can be done normally?
Not normally, no, but it's specifically called out as being a thing that a Malefex can do (the ability specifically gives them the ability to use telepathy instead of verbal components).

> Urgh. Whyyyyy do you do this to me?
Because my first thought when seeing an ability is "Does the entire world count as one object?", and that's a scary question to be asking.

> Half level to Init checks is a /lot/ of bonus, though
It's a fairly common one, though... the Divination school ability being the first one that comes to mind, and other classes use it as well. Maybe just rolling Initiative twice?

> Thanks for the feedback thus far!
No problem! I love seeing new classes and mechanics and stuff, so between you lot and the Spheres of Power stuff (which I also discovered only recently), I've had a sudden revival in my interest in Pathfinder as a system, so it's been great looking at all this stuff.

I'd play the fuck out of it.

> Not normally, no, but it's specifically called out as being a thing that a Malefex can do (the ability specifically gives them the ability to use telepathy instead of verbal components).

You know, now I feel dumb because I forgot I'd added that parenthetical and thought you were suggesting it as an addition.

I gotta hit work - I'll catch up on further feedback when I get home tonight!

What are the rules for having an Awakened Direwolf as a Cohort?

Are there any gods that have changed alignments?

That Lich Queen of that nation with the dead people I think?

iirc, shelyn was originally CN and Zon Kuthon was NG

One, to my knowledge. Zon-Kuthon.

Zon-Kuthon, of course.

>your choice when you use them
Oh, so you can always target the worst of the two best saves agaisnt any target.

You realize that GM's will be able to kill parties using this method, right? Because after 10th level most monsters have both of those as good saves.

the contents of your post contain bad memes, but I'm gonna save that image because it might make a decent character portrait.

I can't tell if DHB is a troll or a victim of trolls.

>myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=372783
>in party mishaps
Absolutely not.

>myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=372783

So I'm trying my damnedest to shame that furfag and the other Fox Fucker without directly calling them out (I don't want to be labeled a bigot, even if furfags are the lowest of scum). Currently running a Warder/Daring Hero/Dragon Fury, hoping to take an Awakened Direwolf as my cohort. Any ideas what class the Direwolf should be? Awakening got him straight 12s across the board for his mentals.

Is Pathfinder Society always just a series of combat enounters? I've played drop-in games with two groups in my city, and both have been "Fight 1, Fight 2, Fight 3, BUY THE BOOKS!"

All of my fellow party members were at least one of the following:
>Drizzt-fanboys ("I DUAL WIELD FALCATAS")
>impotent old men on power trips ("Being a Paladin, I coup de grâce all the unconscious, unarmed pickpockets.")
>munchkins who try to solo every encounter ("My half-genie deals 4d12 damage to every enemy in a 30' range")
>uninterested table-fiends clearly only showing up out of habit ("Oh, it's my turn now?").

I'd love to find a roleplaying group to actually play the game with, but it's been a shaky experience so far.

make him a bard

Manuver Master Monk with Natural Weapon Training (I forget the actual name of the feat). Then take tripping and defensive styles out the tailhole.

First, Allister Caine isn't a 'she', so your choice of words given your images is wonky as fuck.

Skills to be added; remember all disciplines give theirs naturally. Not-E.Flux will hurt a little, half my gunning utility has come from that one in the last few campaigns, flat out. Raging flux in particular.... but let's see what you've come up with.