EDH/Commander General

Herbert West edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-03-16-reki/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eddy-4/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/marchesa-first-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-h-e-c-y-b-o-r-g-s-l-a-y-e-r-s/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for memes

A friend wants to start getting into EDH with a samurai deck. Seeing how few of them are, I'd need a RBW commander to put them all in. How does this guy look?

Well you've got five choices, of which Kaalia doesn't synergize at all, Oros will be hitting your creatures, and Tariel and Marchesa don't match the flavor at all.

Zurgo is really the only option.

What about Alesha?

Many of the Samurai have 2 or less power, so that's a real option.

>Playing Angry Omnath against Oloro pillowfort, everyone else has already died
>I'm at 12 life while Omnath has over a hundred left, no creatures on the table for anyone
>Dump hand on table, have lots of elementals and other big stuff
>Oloro casts Descend Upon the Sinful, my shit is exiled and he has an angel that can beat my shit in
>Have to cast Omnath, land drop and sac both to get rid of angel but now Omnath is in the grave and no way to get it back
>Things are looking grim
>Next turn topdeck the perfect card
>Storm Cauldron
>Oloro can't cast answers fast enough because the lands keep bouncing back, meanwhile I keep making elementals off Zendikar's Roil and attacking
>Eventually beat down the 100 or so life down to 0

Storm Cauldron is my new favourite card in Omnath. Fucks over everyone but you keep getting value off landfall.

>Implying mongol orc scum can command honorable Japanese samurai

It is, yep, hadn't considered her. Thanks

Tariel could work, not very well though, it would be cool to see Marchesa as the shogun for the samurai, sorta flavor but your gotta look at it in the right light, but yea Zurgo is the best for "flavorful samurais"

>build deck
>shits on lgs
>build deck to be weaker
>shits on lgs
>build weaker
>does nothing, gets shit on, isn't fun at all

Why must I be this way?

Who's the best knife-edge commander? Knife-edge in the sense of "rewarding if you play well, but if you fuck up, you die."

Dralnu seems like a good fit for this

So basically you're looking to gimp yourself with a commander that has a glaring weakness?

Yeah

Diaochan. If you make the wrong decision when choosing who to give the kill, you get set REALLY far back.

Phage?

If played well zedruu can kill any opponent, if played wrong zedruu is no better then your average group hug deck, if played worse then group hug, you get shit on.

Why does everyone hate Jeleva? I bought the Grixis precon and joined an edh group at uni and everyone always shits on me. Is she not fun? Why all the hate?

They might be dumb and think of "mill" as getting rid of their good cards, as opposed to getting rid of random cards.

is this really a question?

Anyone try new Selvala in the 99? It is symmetrical, but it seems pretty good.

I'm looking for junk for Reki.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-03-16-reki/

People hate mill. It's half assed mill. People hate Narset. It's half assed Narset.

Have you guys not seen a good jeleva deck that shits out extra turns and splashy spells

It's basically a slightly worse version of Narset

A Narset with no hexproof and unreliable spells is much much worse. I tried to build that deck, even with absurd amounts of instant and sorceries you wife a lot and you are fucking never swinging with her unless someone is being very dumb.

Jeleva's spellbook loses them once cast, so even if by some miracle you get to swing with her a bunch, you'll run out of shit to cast.

You should never ever whiff with jeleva, you may think it's an "absurd" amount of instants and sorceries but that's just you being dumb

That said I still agree that Narset is way better because of the ease of chaining big spells, because she exiles more spells when she attacks whereas you have to flicker jeleva or recast to get more loot

And the hexproof is obviously the most important difference

I'm on part 2 of that story.

Picked one up for $2 today and I'm stoked to put her in Marath.

Is it the exile effect? Jeleva can only cast instants and sorceries. One plays Ayli BW enchanment control and the other plays monogreen stompy so it's not like i hit a ton of spells. I mostly rely on my own spells.

So what you're saying is I should brew an infinite turn Narset deck and get good?

Honestly I hadn't I just like the Gruxis colors. Had I known Narset was the primary sorcery and instant abuser I would have brewed that.

Whiff includes getting bad spells given the situation. Most good spells are not worth casting during your own combat step, even if they are free.

So, you can either have your deck full of expensive spells worth cheating and end up stuck with unplayable cards when Jeleva never gets to swing. Or you play decent, reasonably costed spells like terminate or counterspell that are awful to flip to Jeleva.

Plus Narset gets multiple spells per attack. And not just instants and sorceries.

Even if you get three combat phases with Jeleva, if that's your only creature, that accomplished fuckall besides storm count since each attack only got you more attacks.

I didn't realizeJeleva lost her spells when she cast them. Nobody at the table seemed to know that either they let me keep casting Army of the Damned... until they wiped the board.

If a instant or sorcery card is cast, as opposed to casting a copy, it goes to the graveyard of its owner as part of resolution unless it says otherwise.

Alright dudes, rip me a new asshole:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eddy-4/

What are some cards that force your opponent to search their library in mono black? I want to run Ob Nixilis, Unshackled and need some ideas.

None. Only two cards do it and they are both green.

There's very few bad times to cast extra turns, MLD, asymmetric board wipes, etc

way 2 b so rong

I just moved to a new country and they actually have an EDH scene, so I am building my first EDH deck. I know nothing of the meta, except that it should be casual.

I chose new Marchesa as the commander and I have a few questions:

>How much enchantment/artifact removal is generally ok?
>How much boardwipes/spot removal is too much?
> My deck (without lands/mana rocks) is tappedout.net/mtg-decks/marchesa-first-edh/ are there any super bad choices?

the deck has a lot of dumb cards like Debt of Loyalty and Elbrus, the Binding Blade, but I don't want it to fail completely.

So how many cmc>=5 sorceries you running in your deck that you reliably hit one when exiling 4 out of about 80?

And MLD is very very much not worth casting "all of the time". There are fucktons of bad times to cast MLD.

Apparently, searching magiccards.info for "player search" or "opponent search" was inadequate because of commas. Whatever.

You're right about MLD, what I should've said is that if you've got jeleva in play swinging, you probably have mana rocks and such and are ready to wipe lands

I think jeleva decks should have basically 0 creatures, 10-15 artifacts, 0-3 enchantments, and 33-37 lands, which leaves 44-56 slots for instants and sorceries, about 15-20 of which should be control spells like spot removal and counterspells, so that's 24-41 slots for splashy spells

Alright, if you got it to work and work well, then you might be onto more than I am.

To me, that does sound like an absurd number, but it is possible you can do that well enough. To be honest, I'm looking at all high costed spells and instants in the colors right now and I don't think I can even find 30 good ones to cheat, but what do I know?

Anyway, good talk. I guess my unwillingness to go full time warp and MLD probably hurt my version of the witch way back when she came out.

>you will never own a black-bordered Gauntlet of Might

Run all the blue fetches, Jin and Notion Thief are redundant with Leovold, the reanimation package and Time Twisters directly conflict with each other and I don't think you have enough creatures to justify the reanimator spells, no real win con, Woodfall Primus is overcosted and kind of pointless with no Deadeye.

Palinchron + BSZ is probably your best win con.

My rule of thumb depends on the color. With white, you have access to a ton of enchantment removal. Mardu is the best boardwipe trio, tho. Id run 4-5 boardwipes.

For enchantments/artifactz I use Return to dust, paraselene, into the core, shattering spree, vandalblast, and there's many more options.

Make sure you use jokulhaups for added lulz.

sorry but lol @ "wife"

You're a little light on removal, but if its casual then its probably fine. I think you really only need to run more if you have to consistently get rid of threats, so in a lower power level I imagine you can let more things hang around.

Does anyone have suggestions for building budget Lazav? ideally I want the deck to be milling and graveyard shenanigans but alot of the good mill cards are expensive, I am going to add in the mindcrank/ duskmantle guildmage combo to it as well because both cards can do great for my plan on their own.

You can always run Soothsaying if you need to stack your deck.

Soothsaying is a cool card but I don't actually like it for jeleva since you need to spend at least 5 mana just to look at 1 extra card for the purposes of jeleva's ability

>About to order a generic melek spellslinger deck for only 100 shekels
>Think "What if I get bored of this deck"
>Dont know if I should order

Will I get bored of it? Are there any alternatives similar to spellslinger?

Sup /edhg/, would you mind helping a brother out with some deck editting I'm trying to do? With Kaladesh releasing soon, my Glissa, the Traitor got a whole bunch of new cards, besides some that I wanted to add anyway. The cards I wanted to add are;
Necrogen Spellbomb
Foundry Inspector
Filigree Familiar
Verdurous Gearhulk
Marionette Master
Workshop Assistant
Ovalchase Daredevil
Noxious Gearhulk
Syndicate Trafficker
Disciple of the Vault
Chimeric Coils
Blooming Marsh
Inventor's Fair
and Sequestered Stash

I want to trade up the lands for a Swamp, Foul Orchard, and Phyrexia's Core, with possible trade outs for the nonland so being;
Steel Hellkite
Permeating Mass
Sculpting Steel
Trading Post
Hedron Archive
and Plague Boiler

I also want to trade out Krosan Grip, seeing that, while it has Split Second which and stop certain combos right in there tracks, I have multiple other ways in the deck to destroy and/or counter enchantments and artifacts, all of which I can recur easily. Really though, I'm at a loss for what I can lose and what definitely needs to stay. Help plz.

Decklist: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-h-e-c-y-b-o-r-g-s-l-a-y-e-r-s/

It's really fucking boring dude.

What if you get bored of magic? Why buy any magic cards ever?

Cant argue with that. Guess i'll order

Timmy and Johnny become EDH-legal
What do you do with them?

>Other guy plays dralnu
>Cast blasphemous act
>He scoops
Git gud.

>WHERES MY FUCKING JOKULHAUPS AHHHH

>what is Magebane Armor
>what is literally any counterspell either in your hand or graveyard

I put her in Mayael shes really, really strong.

>Casting Dralnu without some way(s) to stop yourself from getting fucking owned
Deserved it

Good dralnu players never play him without some way to protect him

I was going to post an answer to a similar on the last thread, so here it is:

If you go generic UR (since you posted Melek) Goodstuff and/or Storm it'll probably be boring after a few games, since it'll probably get kinda samey - cantrips into rituals into storm, doubling them with Melek or dropping big X spells with Mizzix.

The nice thing about UR is there are a lot of weird spells you can use like Lightning Storm, Telemin Performance, and Epic Experiment. Then there is of course Warp World and Chaos Warp if you like those sorts of spells (they're hit or miss in a lot of instances).

My Melek deck is half goodstuff and half jank that I've seen and went "well that could be fun" (Talent of the Telepath, looking at you). I've found that when I go in I will usually either dominate thanks to Magic Christmas Land opening hands, or crash and burn, but the most fun is when I'm on the ropes and pull a win thanks to a stupid amount of luck.

Also Talrand, Docent of Perfection, and Young Pyromancer are excellent additions since you won't want to run too many creatures, but you also don't want to be left defenseless in Creatures: the Tappening.

He looks like a gummy treat

Which cards are you most excited for in Kaladesh?
Pic related for me, can't wait to put in my Mina&Denn.

And I forget my fucking picture, shamfur dispray.

Use them as precedent to demand the legalization of Garfield.

In response to Magebane equip I cast lightning bolt

He scoops

Triple edict is bad, but not worth scooping over. Also >Bolt in EDH

Probs gonna get her for my pic related

What a responsible investment of $150!

>implying sac outlets don't real
>implying blue somehow does not have access to counterspells

Post decks that people keep bitching about because they need to git gud

Where are you getting these prices? I'm not arguing the sol ring isn't that price, I am just curious how much a Commander's Helm or Solemn would be.

Something hopefully in less demand.

I mean, that's mostly fine.
The price is high because it's pimp and reprints aren't going to compromise that, since they're not going to reprint the pimp version of it.

Admittedly, I'd wait to see the post-release sales but the thing is that you're going to be able to resell it for about as much as you bought it for unless you tend to rough up your cards. A few years from now, it may even be worth quite a bit more.

Unless they manage to crash and burn the entire game, it's not actually particularly ridiculous to buy it if you've got some money lying around.

>Actively supporting the secondary market
Kys plz

>Actively buying packs
Kys plz

>he cracks packs and boxes in the hope of getting decent cards for EDH

The low presales are about $50 for Solemn and $40 for the Helm. Helm is actually one of the cheapest ones.

>Not buying all your staples from Based Chinamen
Plz

Are you suggesting I should instead single-handedly crash the secondary market? Or I should just never buy singles?

>supporting communist scum

>Impliying is not the true freemarket at his finest

Oh you're a troll, got it

>build Nekusar
>either I go off and win in under 5 turns or just durdle until I lose

Are there any other good, spell-heavy commanders in grixis other than him?

Is Jeleva any good?

You got it too late m8

Better late than never

Is it possible to go super-light on creatures in a meta that is full of creatures? Seriously, my group is the near-definition of Creatures: The Tappening

>Is Jeleva any good?
Medium power, Extreme salt

Yes
just go narset
and fill your deck with wraths and LD

Well it is better than having 3 out 5 players being pillowfort combo players.

This is probably gonna replace strionic in my hazezon deck.

Good. I might buy one right away, but it might actually drop.

>just go narset
I refuse to give in to her degeneracy

If I'm going to go full-on Creature Police I'm going to play Zurgo

This is a necessity in my Godo deck

>dropping this on the turn before Godo
>get Sword of the Animist AND Blade of Selves

I'm most excited about vehicles. Mainly this legendary one for Reki.

Which I've yet to get any feedback for:

what's the best commander for playing up the political aspect of the game? Gwafa Hazid seemed like it might be a good choice, but I'd like to go for an option that offers a lot of cooperation, trickery, and betrayal

Gahiji