Rick And Morty RPG?

What would be the best roleplaying system for playing a game in the theme of Rick and Morty?

FATAL. I think that's the first time I've said that and it wasn't a troll answer.

But, really user, you need to learn the difference between setting and system. You could theoretically run it in DnD, if the story was about them dungeon crawling.

Anal circumference aside, Fiasco would suit the randomness of the stories well.

Risus, just figure the characters out into appropriate cliches like Alcoholic Mad Scientist (4) and you're all set.
I've never even seen Rick and Morty, is it good?

Paranoia.

>FUCK GURPS, YEAH!

Hells yes. Very dark, so that might not be some peoples style, but it is really deep and thoughtful. And incredibly hilarious. I recommend skipping the pilot/first episode though, if only because the rest of the series is much better imo, and I've seen the pilot turn lots of people off because Tick acts really.... questionable

I would gurps, but it is so focused rendering more realistic physics. Wouldn't it be difficult to keep the pace up while remembering the rules/have the flexibility to get into the unusual or unpredictable antics of R&M?

>Rick and Morty, is it good?

It. Is. Great.

Top tier adult cartoon.

>Look at that fucking OOOOWWWNNN GOAAAAALLLL!!!

Rifts

I want mechanics that suit the tone. While occasionally DnD's "Two guys stand there for 20 mins hacking at eachother with broadswords" is semi-relevant to it, a lot of Rick and Morty's action/violence is a lot less meaty and crunchy and a lot more quick and vicious. While it is true that the way you run a game is probably the most important factor, the system itself, the feel that the literal dice mechanics create, is also really important

Some user already recommended Risus. Have you read it? It's perfect for R&M. Really. It's designed as a light-weight comedy simulator for any milieu, especially interdimensional hijinks milieus.

It's pretty good. Best way to describe it - take Doctor Who, replace the Doctor with an alcoholic old man with no morals. Some episodes are hit or miss though depending on how much you like improv. The show's dialogue makes heavy use of it in some parts.

Yeah, Rick and Morty is definitely a "if you get hit by anything you will die horribly" kind of system. Problem is that the main characters are pretty much immune to it, since they never get hit. Except for when characters do get killed, and then they just jump to a parallel universe where those characters didn't die.

I wonder if you could do something like Paranoia, where the GM is Rick? Everyone else is dropping like flies, but don't worry: you have clones to replace you.

Aside from lethality, I think you also want a system that has a lot of room for improv. Having Rick pull random gadgets out of his ass, or crazy creatures burst through walls and attack is pretty core to the show.

>Skipping the pilot episode

It was literally the essence of Rick and Morty distilled to its core, though.

There's a Doctor Who RPG system (2d6-based) and it could totally work for the setting. Maybe.

>take Doctor Who, replace the Doctor with an alcoholic old man with no morals.
I mean, in some cases this describes the Doctor too...

How does it handle the disparity between the Doctor and everybody else? That seems like one of the biggest problems with an RPG based on Rick and Morty or Doctor Who.

I guess the easy solution is to make everyone a Doctor/Rick.

Honestly, Maid RPG might work, just edit the tables a bit to make waifus turn into random monsters.

Sure it has bunny ears but rather then a girl its just a aesexual crocodile thing.

You also litterally get a point score for ass pull, then all you got to do is make all the players mortys desperate for their grandpas approval.

Which they will never get, because they are shit.

For people who haven't seen the show, make everyone a Morty.
For people who have seen the show, make everyone a clone of Rick.

That way they can die and die again and it's no biggie. So, yeah, Paranoia might work.

Wait why did you quote me and the doctor who guy that doesnt make sense.

...Fuck, this could actually work.

But with all the tables that Maid has, that's a lot of work.

Only some have to be changed.

Like "Zombies rise? This persons a demon? Wild west style place"? These are all viable.

You just got to make the more mundane stuff more spacey. Like "Has headband" turns into "Crab person"

>doesnt make sense.

rifts

Paranoia themes mixed with Shadowrun.

Magic exists in Rick & Morty, its just that Rick can science the shit out of it.

Monsters and Other Childish Things. Morty is the Child, Rick is the Monster

Rules lite systems like Fate.

One person plays a Rick and one person plays a Morty. If more players then they can play another member of the family. The Rick player gets a list of things he has to do, and he gets a bunch of information about a lot of stuff going on in the adventure. The other players don't get anything, and need to rely on the Rick. The Rick also gets more points the less he explains about the situation. The Morty can solve problems through being humiliated or doing something stupid because of his moral compass or just ineptitude.
Simple system that values creativity over crunch. Something like Risus.

Russian roulette

Risus.

MAID.

Many Mortys. One Rick.

How about Sorcerer? Rick is essentially the demon character that is dragging all of the other characters along for the ride. The more powerful you make your Rick, the more trouble the characters get into.

Once per session the characters can give Rick a temporary power in the form of a gadget. However over the course of the session the gadget will place the party in peril.

Probably something with a fate point mechanic in which the players can spend them to get out of trouble. Spent points go back into the game master's pool, and the cycle begins anew.

Hmm... maybe run it with elements from Horror?
As for it's famous world jumping, Infinite Worlds is the answer. In GURPS there is a supernatural ability as well as technology to travel to different dimensions. Infinite Worlds is all about that complete with politics, rival organizations, premade/canon universes, etc.

Even if you don't use the system, Infinite Worlds is a great idea source.

rick and morty need their own system and almost requires the group to be made into pairs one a rick the other a morty

Paranoia, maybe?

There was a multiverse rpg that the Feng Shui system. I can't remember its name though.

Nexus: the infinite city.

Fiasco

rick and morty is basically rifts as it is

Time Wizards

Savage Worlds, a cinematic universal rpg.

I kinda like this.

FATE would be ideal.

Or RISUS. But RISUS is a bit harder to use for a campaign. Not a lot of growth.

Not a great system, kind of like a more restrictive version of FATE, but it is designed to run this sort of game, where you have one mad genius and a bunch of normies tagging along. It has mechanics for what you're saying.

Granted, with a good enough group, the way you're describing it would probably work better than the mechanics.

It's pretty textbook Fiasco

>this game, Jesus