Can tabletop games help teach you how to socialize?

Can tabletop games help teach you how to socialize?

No.

fpbp

Once a /pol/lock, always a /pol/lock. You guys need to be rolled over with T-34 tanks.

Rude desu

Not through gameplay itsself but through interactions, yes

nope, acting classes might

Yes, in certain circumstances.

It works if your only actual problem is that you don't have practice talking to people. I had this problem back when I was in high school. I didn't have any friends my age (because teenagers are appalling people,) so I just didn't get much practice making conversation. I was polite, but awkward. I joined a game with some 25-year-olds, got some practice roleplaying and just hanging out shooting the shit around the table, and became much more confident and friendly.

If the reason you're undersocialized it that you have some terrible personality defect and no one wants to talk to you, you need to fix that first before hobbies can help you.

Find an improv group you dumb wojakposter.

The entire idea of tabletop games is predicated on playing with others, OP.

So long as German nationalism is tangentially related to the subject, I have a history question.

It is my understanding that the German empire was dead set on expanding it's borders in Europe, as opposed to overseas colonialism. I know about their aggressive attempts to settle their colonies, but quotes I've read make it seem like this was a lesser concern to the German elite.

Why did they not consider encouraging the settling of Germans in the massive, friendly, German-ruled empire directly south of them? What made the Adriatic coast, the Carpathian basin, and Bohemia so much less alluring to them then small tracts of Lithuania?

pls respond

Pretty much this
But if you're already /pol/ or /r9k/ it's going to be fucking hard because you'll have to compromise and put your preferences aside.
Pretty much all social skills require empathy. It doesn't mean you have to internalise other people's feels or beliefs but you at least have to make an attempt at understanding them without the filter of your own world view.

>the massive, friendly, German-ruled empire directly south of them?

By which you mean Austria?

I did. Was it concerns over sovereignty or am I overestimating friendliness between them?

>am I overestimating friendliness between them?

I'm afraid so. They were allied at the start of the First World War, yes, but you must consider who they allied against. France was often the common foe of Europe, especially with Napoleon still in recent memory, and Russia was the slumbering giant of Europe.

Also, one can't forget the various wars Prussia and Austria fought against each other. Most notably resulting in the Prussian annexation of Silesia, from Austria.

There were large cultural differences between the two powers as well. Prussia was Protestant, industrialised, and very militarily focused. Austria was Catholic, artisanal, and more laissez faire as regards cultural/military matters. Prussian railroads were a major factor in their victory over their (supposedly) more powerful neighbour to the south.

Finally, the Austrian Empire was ruled by Germans but was not German itself. It ruled over Czechs, Slovaks, Croats, Hungarians, Serbs, etc. Yet another factor in their downfall, it must be said. So, long story short, why would Prussia want to try and take on Austria's problems for themselves?

Could you imagine someone who thought like that at a bar trying to pull?

>Roll to seduce

Roleplaying itself doesn't, but spending time with people does. I speak from experience.

>1st lesson free
>don't post ebin nazi maymays

It can teach you but you won't learn anything until you are ready to learn by other means.

>Yet another factor in their downfall, it must be said.
They were doing well until WWI.
Also, in this timeframe, the most notable war would be the one where Prussia kicked Austria out of southern Germany.

Thank you for the lesson, my friend. I will treasure it always.

Actually, I thought that the disunity of the AHE would be a great reason for their cooperation with Bismarck and crew. Appealing to german nationalism, they might've tried to settle germans throughout their lands and encourage assimilation, as Bismarck wanted to do in the Baltic.

I still think it would have been an easier route than direct confrontation with the frogs, brits, ruskies. I should've been in charge of the G*rmans. I would've showed them how it's done.

Balkanites are kinda difficult to fight. Poles are easier. Plus Turks.

Regarding the Adriatic, see Austria, and they were kicked around by the French and their hilariously incompentent Italian proxies.

Bismarck was nothing if not practical. How do you think the rebellious Slavic locals would react to a load of Germans turning up on their doorstep?

Austro-Prussian War, yes. Good point. If anything though, that hastened Austria's decline thanks to the increased desire to get off the sinking ship.

>Prussian railroads were a major factor in their victory over their (supposedly) more powerful neighbour to the south.
It was the needle-rifle that made the difference,

Don't overestimate the Dreyse gun. The Austrians had some damn good technology, and abandoned it for the Podewilsgewehr. They should have kept the Giradoni air rifle, with all its shortcomings. It was still better than the Zündnadelgewehr.

your time is over gommie

Nah, but larping does.

Sure; but it's through your interactions with your group; not the game itself.

Try hard to keep the delicate balance of your gaming group healthy; avoid knowingly alienating others and avoid becoming alienated yourself; foster an understanding between yourself and the other members.

I've usually thought that yes, if you are antisocial and you want to improve you are a welcome addition to a tabletop group.
But recently I have started to think otherwise. Assholeish, I know, but recently my group has gotten a person who has actual social anxiety and I am fed up with that fucker.
Many people might be a bit awkward or "outcasts", but when a person almost breaks down in tears when I suggest making a Facebook account for group PMs, talks with a stutter in barely audible voice and goes all grumpy frumpy when his character's skill doesn't work exactly like he thought, he should honestly go back to his parents basement and play with his Thomas the Tank Engine toys in peace since there is no fucking way he will be "cured" by interacting with us.

Personally I think it was the rapid (for the time) troop mobilisation of the Prussians as the greater force multiplier that allowed them to outmanoeuver the Austrians but, that's just my opinion. You do raise a good point, as well.

Yes, they've helped me not curl up into a ball every time I encounter another human being. I still have a bit of social anxiety, but I can actually function and hold a conversation now instead of being a terrified, stuttering mess.

if you're able to ask this question then it's too late for you in your life to have gotten any benefits from this.

you should've joined a group when you were 10 and played regularly through school years. then you'd be maybe okay by now.

Yes, but It also greatly depends on whether the individual actually wants to learn, or realise they need to.

The T-34 is so ancient you could destroy one with the shit under your kitchen sink. Modern IEDs have to deal with reactive composite armor and they're still so simple that Tuskan Raiders can make them out of cereal boxes and discarded microwaves.

Get your archaic commie shit out of my face or I'll send it to hell with your deadbeat NEET messiah Marx.

>They were doing well until WWI.
>Vienna a human gutter even worse than modern Paris
>Literally overrun with separatists, anarchists, and gommunists
>Aforementioned groups being the ones responsible for WWI in the first place

Only in a tabletop environment

any activity that has you out and being social helps.
but i think role-playing does a better job of it than most things. because going to a game and living vicariously through your pc in a whole new world gives you a sense of empathy for things you cant really understand. and that sort of thinking helps us in real life when we run into people who have problems we have not or possibly will never experience.

so user i challenge you to get out there and get social with a few friends or even make new ones and hopefully enrich your life and maybe even make you a happier person.
pic unrelated

>T-34 is so ancient you could destroy one with the shit under your kitchen sink.
t. Abdul von Bavaria