/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Hardrada Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit
List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R
ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes
/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/8tatre3vd10yv/Avalon_Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mediafire.com/download/xibm5yhyxtmngqw/Osprey - MAA 085 - Saxons, Normans And Vikings.pdf
mediafire.com/download/smf09b3tb433m2t/Osprey - WAR 003 - Viking Hersir 793-1066.pdf
mediafire.com/download/iekia8kb6wb6unf/Osprey - WAR 005 - Anglo-Saxon Thegn 449-1066.pdf
battleoffulford.org.uk/
fowlists.blogspot.com/2013/01/blitzkrieg-french-escadron-de-fusiliers_8.html?m=1
hoax-slayer.com/cosgrove-female-interviewer.shtml
mega.nz/#!n59hgJ6Z!6_WLaUtcuas9-C9exzs0jV9ePMmsQHbHVL3-9lg6j5Y
mediafire.com/download/mwobbra4tb2dl73/Osprey - ELI 213 - The Barbary Pirates.pdf
highuintapackgoats.com/faqs.htm
mega.nz/#!jwcXSY6Y!_jMaHQU9JEnPvrNp54ZOtF5SdQnp8aNb9o4nmUOMCFk
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/26474/cold-war-commander
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ

Desired scans :
Black Powder supplements
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

20th September in military history:

1066 – Battle of Fulford, Viking Harald Hardrada defeats earls Morcar and Edwin
1187 – Saladin begins the Siege of Jerusalem.
1260 – The Great Prussian Uprising among the Old Prussians begins against the Teutonic Knights.
1697 – The Treaty of Ryswick is signed by France, England, Spain, the Holy Roman Empire and the Dutch Republic ending the Nine Years' War.
1792 – French troops stop allied invasion of France, during the War of the First Coalition at Valmy.
1835 – Ragamuffin rebels capture Porto Alegre, then capital of the Brazilian imperial province of Rio Grande do Sul, triggering the start of ten-year-long Ragamuffin War.
1854 – Battle of Alma: British and French troops defeat Russians in Crimea.
1857 – The Indian Rebellion of 1857 ends with the recapture of Delhi by troops loyal to the East India Company.
1863 – American Civil War: The conclusion of the Battle of Chickamauga in northwestern Georgia, the bloodiest two-day battle of the conflict, and the only significant Confederate victory in the war's Western Theater.
1970 – Syrian tanks roll into Jordan in response to continued fighting between Jordan and the fedayeen.
1979 – A coup d'état in the Central African Empire overthrows Emperor Bokassa I.
2000 – The United Kingdom's MI6 Secret Intelligence Service building is attacked by individuals using a Russian-built RPG-22 anti-tank missile.
2001 – In an address to a joint session of Congress and the American people, U.S. President George W. Bush declares a "War on Terror".

It is 950 years since the Battle of Fulford was fought near York in England. King Harald III of Norway, also known as Harald Hardrada ("harðráði" in Old Norse, meaning "hard ruler"), and Tostig Godwinson, his English ally, fought and defeated the Northern Earls Edwin and Morcar.

Tostig was Harold Godwinson's banished brother. He had allied with King Harald of Norway and possibly Duke William of Normandy but history has left us no record of what role Tostig saw for himself if the invasions were successful. The battle was a decisive victory for the Viking army. The earls of York could have hidden behind the walls of their city but instead they met the Viking army across a river. All day the English desperately tried to break the Viking shield wall but to no avail.

The Anglo-Saxon king Edward the Confessor had died on 5 January 1066 without an heir. On the day of King Edward's funeral, 6 January, Harold Godwinson, the Earl of Wessex, rushed to London, where he was crowned king in Westminster Abbey by Aldred, Archbishop of York. Harold Godwinson was elected as King by the Witenagemot, who had gathered in Westminster to celebrate the feast of Epiphany. However, two powerful earls, brothers Edwin of Mercia and Morcar of Northumbria, challenged his authority. Sources indicate that Harold moved north to confront them; however, in the end he secured their loyalty by marrying their sister, Edith, the widow of Griffith of Wales. By securing the loyalty of Edwin and Morcar, Godwinson increased his strength in the north. These men were, in fact, the first barrier between Harold Godwinson and Harald Hardrada. Tostig, the exiled brother of Godwinson, also felt he had a claim to the English throne. During his exile, he lived in Flanders, whence, according to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, he invaded in May 1066 against his brother.

At Sandwich Tostig is said to have enlisted and impressed sailors. He then sailed north, where he battled Edwin, the Earl of Mercia. After a quick defeat at the mouth of the Humber, he arrived in Scotland under the protection of King Malcolm of Scotland. Later he met and made a pact with Harald Hardrada, King of Norway, whereby he agreed to support Hardrada in his invasion of England. Tostig was a useful ally for Hardrada not only because he was the brother of his adversary but also because he knew the terrain.

Hardrada, like Tostig, William of Normandy, and King Harold Godwinson, was another claimant to the throne. Hardrada set sail for England in September picking up supplies in the Orkneys and was reinforced with Tostig, who brought soldiers and ships. They sailed together along the River Ouse towards the city of York. They arrived at the mouth of the Humber on 18 September. Having disembarked from their ships, their armies quickly moved towards York. On 20 September 1066, they were confronted by Godwinson's earls, Edwin and Morcar.

Edwin had brought some soldiers to the east to prepare for an invasion by the Norwegians. The battle started with the English spreading their forces out to secure their flanks. On their right flank was the River Ouse, and on the left was the Fordland, a swampy area. The disadvantage to the position was that it gave Harald higher ground, which was perfect for seeing the battle from a distance. Another disadvantage was that if one flank were to give way, the other one would be in trouble. If the Anglo-Saxon army had to retreat, it would not be able to because of the marshlands. They would have to hold off the Norwegians as long as possible.

Harald's army approached from three routes to the south. Harald lined his army up to oppose the Anglo-Saxons, but he knew it would take hours for all of his troops to arrive. His least experienced troops were sent to the right and his best troops on the riverbank.

The English struck first, advancing on the Norwegian army before it could fully deploy. Morcar's troops pushed Harald's back into the marshlands, making progress against the weaker section of the Norwegian line. However, this initial success proved insufficient for victory to the English army, as the Norwegians brought their better troops to bear upon them, still fresh against the weakened Anglo-Saxons.

Harald brought more of his troops from the right flank to attack the centre, and sent more men to the river. The invaders were outnumbered, but they kept pushing and shoving the defenders back. The Anglo-Saxons were forced to give ground. Edwin's soldiers who were defending the bank now were cut off from the rest of the army by the marsh, so they headed back to the city to make a final stand. Within another hour, the men on the beck were forced off by the Norwegians. Other invading Norwegians, who were still arriving, found a way to get around the thick fighting and opened a third front against the Anglo-Saxons. Outnumbered and outmaneuvered, the defenders were defeated. Edwin and Morcar however, managed to survive the fight.

York surrendered to the Norwegians under the promise that the victors would not force entry to their city, perhaps because Tostig would not want his capital looted. It was arranged that the various hostages should be brought in and the Norwegian army retired to Stamford Bridge, east of York, to await their arrival.

It has been estimated that at Fulford the Norwegians had about 10,000 troops of which 6,000 were deployed in the battle, and the defenders 5,000. During the battle, casualties were heavy on both sides. Some estimates claim 15% dead giving a total of 1650 (based on 11,000 troops being deployed in the battle). From all accounts, it is clear that the mobilised power of Mercia and Northumbria was cut to pieces at Fulford.

It is likely that the engagements at Fulford Gate and at the Battle of Stamford Bridge, fought within a week of each other, seriously affected Harold's strength at the Battle of Hastings some three weeks later. There is no doubt that if Harold had not been diverted by the battles in the north, then he would have been better prepared to fight William at Hastings and the result might have been somewhat different.

Fulford is always overshadowed by the battles of Stamford Bridge and Hastings that followed soon after - it's called "Yorkshire's forgotten battlefield". But it seems to have been larger than either of its more famous contemporary clashes. The fight was as even as it could get, being a pretty equal match of troops types. It's a bloody, all-in 'twilight of the Viking age' melee that would work well on the tabletop.

mediafire.com/download/xibm5yhyxtmngqw/Osprey - MAA 085 - Saxons, Normans And Vikings.pdf
mediafire.com/download/smf09b3tb433m2t/Osprey - WAR 003 - Viking Hersir 793-1066.pdf
mediafire.com/download/iekia8kb6wb6unf/Osprey - WAR 005 - Anglo-Saxon Thegn 449-1066.pdf
battleoffulford.org.uk/

Hey guys couldn't find flames of war general. What do you guys think of my early war french list?

fowlists.blogspot.com/2013/01/blitzkrieg-french-escadron-de-fusiliers_8.html?m=1

>The fight was as even as it could get, being a pretty equal match of troops types

I've been thinking about this recently, well, just how rare it was for battles to be fairly even in terms of numbers/troops. Most seem to have been what in wargaming terms might be considered a serious mismatch in points,even where the smaller side won handily.

I'm not sure many wargames actually manage to pull off the whole uneven numbers thing without resorting to greater numbers being typically cheaper, weaker troops.
I've seen in Bolt Action having a significant advantage in numbers can actually be a ludicrously huge advantage even with equal points as the game simply doesn't let a typical army deal with it.

So what's the secret to having mismatched battles be good for both sides without resorting to the weaker side having some massively easier objective to fulfil like not get wiped out for some amount of turns, but rather something for the more conventional pitched-battle affair where both armies set up but one tends to have (historically) a couple thousand more bodies in it but this isn't seen as a huge advantage?.

>
>

The generosity is much appreciated lads, but these are probably the easiest Ospreys to find for some reason and they're almost all a comfy >10mb in size which is very convenient, so no need to trouble yourself. Pretty much everything appears to be up on Avax, it's just a matter of collating and uploading them all.

They're over here:

I'm looking for a PDF of Sword and Spear 2nd Edition, paid or otherwise. Can't find it in the mediafire links.

Any help?

This months project done. Non-combatant as he is captured

Something about this pairing doesn't seem quite right, in a historical manner.

It's the lawn. Always throws these things off.

Generally speaking this mostly has to do with wargames usually taking place in even terrain or not taking C&C into account properly.

>what's the secret to having mismatched battles be good for both sides
In my opinion: a map campaign system. That way you will have situations where one guy is horribly outnumbered, but he's dug in hard and up to the eyeballs in bunkers and minefields, and knows he'll be on the defensive, and only has to blunt the enemy attack so that next map turn the main force can smash the remains of the attackers.

Another way to do unequal sides is troop quality, lower quality conscripts should be much cheaper and weaker, so that an army of conscripts could be defeated by a handful of veterans and a few tanks.

I actually remember a specific game where I decided to spam conscripts, and forgot about their inability to deal with tanks (this was an ostfront game) I think I spammed 30 bases of conscripts - representing about 750 men. They proceeded to be gunned down by a few Panzer IIIs and some crack wehrmacht infantry... it was brutal and hilarious.

Just received my BA2 rulebook! Its nice to mix that CoC element in where your officers actually do something useful. Sunday i will have my first game with my freshly painted germans against french, 1000pts. Leaving the MP44s home and going EW :)

If you're a general, why fight a battle that you might lose?

Except in situations like this - deep in hostile territory or dealing with an aggressive invading army that you don't want to settle in.

?? I probably fucked up somewhere but whatd i do wrong

Start with roughly equal armies, apply randomness via a Peter Pig-style pre-game system whereby units might show up late, not show up at all, take losses, get reinforcements, or switch sides, and then play the game without worrying too much about precise balance in that one game because it'll average out, ish.

Really, though - scenarios. Do not play the "more conventional pitched-battle affair" as often. You can go with fairly basic arrangements or full-on table-top teaser stuff.

Or a full campaign, but I find the Peter Pig systems tend to give some of the same effect without the actual campaign - Bloody Barons and Battles in the Age of War particularly. Both sides have X points which they spend on dice in Y categories, then roll off. Spend more points on scouting than the enemy, you're more likely to get a result in your favour. Spend points on ninjas when your opponent skimped in favour of spending their points on bribing your subordinates, see what happens. The game is still fun even when the actual on-board game is unbalanced, it just shifts a bit because you're trying to delay the enemy while you wait for reinforcements, or go for a desperate attack and attempt to outmanoeuvre because you don't have the forces to fight normally, so you just load up one flank and try for local superiority.

Who is the lad on the left?

why is everything he touches the same colour

Part of an American Militia. He looks lighter from different angles, just didnt notice how uniform he looked when I took the photo haha. Though I dont think it matters much hes meant to be all dirty anyway

Hmmm it's just such a horrible brown as well. I don't mean badly painted, it's just a really unattractive shade of brown.

Personally I think he looks really off because everything above his feet, including his hat, are all the same brown. With militia, as opposed to regular troops, you have so much more freedom to paint in variations in colour and appearance but this doesn't do it for me.

>Though I dont think it matters much hes meant to be all dirty anyway
Just a lazy backwards rationalisation imo, but if you are happy with him that's all that matters.

Well actually every part of him is a different color. Shoes/hat are khaki washed brown, the shirt is a green, the pants are khaki drab its just a bad angle really but he isnt one of the better ones ive done by any means.

Having read through it, I'm disappointed. The templates are just stupid, airstrike has been nerfed down to a point were it is a wasted 75 points even for the Americans and armoured transports and units inside still get pinned no matter what by small weapons fire, which keeps them in the "mostly useless" category.

Use what you like from 2nd ed, and play a 1.5st ed.

yeah that works for friendly games. we probably will keep using the boltaction.net rules and adding the officer rules from V2.

but that doesn't work for tournament play.
new meta will be huge team weapons and artillery bases, so you can spread single miniatures so far out that even 3" templates will only hit 1 mini. also, as many vehicles with MMGs as possible.
seriously they've messed it up.

>but that doesn't work for tournament play.
Do you actually play any tournaments?

>The templates are just stupid
how are they stupid?
I'm not a BA player but I'm interested to know. In 1e you just do a bunch of hits for HE instead of a template right?

>Do you actually play any tournaments?
yep I do. just last Sunday. and even though V1 was used (probably for the last time) already there were guys with bases smaller than 1" in preparation for the V2 templates.

>how are they stupid?
because if you place crew for artillery or team weapons on a single base for practicality and aesthetics and hence place them closer together an HE weapon will inflict more hits on that unit than on a unit of someone who uses places single crew miniatures as far apart from each other as possible. which isn't defined by the rules. means: in theory you can place team weapon crews as far as 5 inches apart from each other, making it impossible to hit more than one, even with a 4" template.
and I can tell you: there will be tournament players who'll do that.

also it will bog down gameplay so frikkin much because people will start measuring, so that one mini is exactly 1" from each other mini in the unit to prevent HE hits from hitting.

So it truly became W2k. GG Warlord, time to homebrew since no tournaments in my country (nor there are more than a dozen BA players), as there were some neat changes in 2nd ed.

hmm that sounds more like an issue with the way field guns are handled than templates. There should really be a standard field gun basing protocol, like a specific base size, or they must have X men Y" away from the gun.

I do find it quite amusing that BA is suffering from somewhat drastic mechanic changes. There's nothing inherently wrong with templates in wargames, but I find it pretty funny that it seems to be (partially) ruining the system and causing widespread "I must get around this new mechanic"-ism

>There should really be a standard field gun basing protocol
Fuck no.

why not? is this something people take a lot of liberty with? like everyone already has their artillery pieces based in their own way and standardizing would be a nightmare?

You could have different sized bases for small and large guns, and say the crew would have to stay within 2" or something quite close.

Ideally a hit from HE should be very capable of destroying a field gun.... provided BA has some kind of historical accuracy.... I hope thats not too big of a provision...

I won't rebase my gun because tourneyfags want to absolutely destroy the game.

Shit, switching to Battlegroup entirely is getting more and more tempting.

I've heard battlegroup is excellent. BA just seems like a bit of a mess - but that's understandable considering it's designed to be pretty gamey and (I still struggle to comprehend this one) that the designer didn't really know much about WW2 when he was writing it

>with bases smaller than 1" in preparation for the V2 templates.

The rules clearly state that you have to imagine a 25mm base when using templates, so i don't really get what you are saying here

besides, playing with cheesy tournament types like this is no fun at all, no matter how the rules are, people like that always find some exploits and mass a certain type of unit/vehicle.

No need to homebrew if you play with friends.

Plus WAAC types invariably cheat. Some are more subtle than others but when you see people pulling that shit theyre also fudging dice or distances when you arent paying attention

Basically this.

I don't get the outrage. Playing BA-2 against normal people is just as fun as before.

Playing against waac-players isn't fun. Thats all there is to know. To me it doesn't matter if they squeeze in several platoons with minimal sized inexperienced infantry to get more options for Flamethrower vehicles or if they exploit bases of their artillery units or whatever else they will come up with. Its these people that kill the fun, not a template or any other rule.

true.

I put together a list for roughly 1000 points of Blitzkrieg germans.

Any thoughts? Are some of my choices terrible? What should i change?

(I noticed i can't use a sniper team if i pick the Case Blue selector, so i might switch to generic to include one)

I choose vehicles i already have, tank wise i could use an early Stug 3 (with 75mm howitzer) instead of the 38t, maybe i'll build both to have some options.

Please don't tell me that i should go for Veteran grenadiers/Fallschirmjägers with ARs instead because i already have such an army, i specifically want an early war Wehrmacht unit.

Tourny fags are the cancer in wargames.
They suck out the fun in every game and not only that they force the fun loving player to play in the WAAC minset.

I like the changes to Bolt action v2 so far and cannot wait for my first game of it

As well as that, and possibly worse, lazy and incompetent designers get to use them as a scapegoat for their own fuckups.

>that pic
Ah the old General Reinwald hoax! I read that in a USMC magazine, round First Gulf, I think
hoax-slayer.com/cosgrove-female-interviewer.shtml

Personally the only problems I've had in tournaments are players who didn't understand the rules so I had to spend a significant amount of the game teaching them to play. Then of course I get the lowest sportsmanship score because I didn't let them do things the rules specifically don't allow or use their house rules.

Now every guy who claimed to be anti-waac player i've met was an asshole who tried to use "Its just a casual/fun/whatever game" to cheat.

Now I get why they don't want to have to force you to base your miniatures a certain way as almost every game uses different basing systems but if there is any potential for exploration they need to just go ahead and specify what size base goes with what models. Note I don't play Bolt Action

This is a recent Weapon that only just popped up on the webs

The Composite Bow (Osprey Weapon 043)

An ancient design, emerging from Central Asia in the second millennium B.C., the composite bow was adopted by a staggering variety of cultures, from nomadic tribal peoples such as the Huns, Turks, and Mongols, to mighty empires such as the Romans, Byzantines, Persians, Arabs, and Chinese. Offering high power and portability, the composite bow was an ideal cavalry weapon, though it was also used by infantry in open battle, and as a siege weapon. In this important study, an expert on Eastern military technology tells the story of this extraordinary piece of military hardware: how it was made and how various cultures developed differing tactics for using it. He explains why the composite bow achieved such stunning successes, and how it endured as a weapon of choice for thousands of years.

mega.nz/#!n59hgJ6Z!6_WLaUtcuas9-C9exzs0jV9ePMmsQHbHVL3-9lg6j5Y

The Barbary Pirates 15th-17th Centuries (Osprey Elite 213)

For the best part of three centuries the “corsairs,” or pirates, from the “Barbary” coasts of North Africa dominated the western and central Mediterranean, making forays far into the Atlantic and preying on the shipping and coastal settlements across Christian Europe, ranging from Greece to West Africa to the British Isles. In the absence of organized European navies, they seldom faced serious opposition, and the scope of their raiding was remarkable. As well as piracy and slave-raiding, they fought as privateers, sharing their spoils with the rulers of the port cities that provided them with ships, men, and a ready market. This book examines their development and style of fighting, chronicles their achievements and failures, and illustrates their appearance and that of their ships, explaining why they were so feared and so effective.

mediafire.com/download/mwobbra4tb2dl73/Osprey - ELI 213 - The Barbary Pirates.pdf

I've been wishing for something on these guys for years and had no idea this was coming. It's a very pleasant surprise.

>panzer 38(t)
fine choice sir

Can you or anyone else please scan it and post it here? You guys would be a savior because the second wave is gonna make us wait a long time......

Nice! I didn't know I wanted this until I did!

Indeed.
I love the look of it and also most the vehicles based on its chassis. Such a nice looking little tank.

OK, I've just discovered that pack goats are a thing, and desire some for my skirmish gaming and/or D&D.

Since I doubt there are many companies making 28mm goats with baggage, who makes good 28mm goats? Horns entirely acceptable. I know Foundry do some livestock, but nothing useful for this.

highuintapackgoats.com/faqs.htm

Apparently Empress did some, but I can't seem to find them.

I must approvingly note the inclusion of Gruber's Little Tank i.e. the SdKfz 222

>SdKfz 222

>leetle tenk

You know something that always impressed me? Despite having a cheerful disregard for history, Allo Allo nonetheless had Gruber wearing the correct "Rosa" waffenfarbe for a Panzer officer. Most serious dramas couldn't even get that sort of detail right.

So it turns out this battlefield is a shortish walk from my house.

It's a tad overgrown these days.

Looks like a WW1 guy at first glace

>means: in theory you can place team weapon crews as far as 5 inches apart from each other, making it impossible to hit more than one, even with a 4" template.

This is wrong. Units need to be within 1 inch of each other, no matter if its a squad or a team weapon or a gun crew.
This means, a 3 inch template is ALWAYS hitting 2 guys.

You can play with placing them 1" away from the gun.

Neat. Are there any markers or anything?

Like pic related?

Thats not possible because the gun itself is not a crew member so you cant place them like that since the two soldiers are 2" apart

There's a sign by the entrance to the site.

Apparently there was some commemoration stuff this morning but I missed it.

Oh, it's also mentioned on the sign as you enter Fulford.

Hm, you're right...

Ah well, we'll see. I'm not a fan of templates as it unnecesarily slows it down ("How much of my dudes are under the template? Two or three? Oh let's see again..." JUST FUCKING ROLL THE DIE ALREADY), and I had no apparent problems with v1...but eh, maybe it'll be decent. I'm just not too happy that I didn't play enough to justify the price of the books I got for v1.

It is really something to have historic battlefields in shortish walking distance. When I was researching things for the OP I read a lot on their webpage about how some shitty road was going to be plowed over it. Seems a terrible shame but also sadly predictable. At least your pic seems very bucolic.

>1st Panzer knicked any halftrack left lying around

That's hilarious.

The bit I went to was on the south side of Germany Beck (probably what the river in that picture represents). The north side was covered in construction work.

A lot of the site is also taken up by a cemetery, so you can't really get a good view of the whole field anymore, sadly.

Still good to see commemorations going on, there was a group of older chaps in a tent by the entrance to the site and they had the Fulford tapestry and stuff in there with them. I'm not sure they believed me when I told them I was out for a walk, they probably thought I was going to do drugs in the woods or something.

Promised some pictures of Italian BB Roma's interior a thread or two ago.

>Officer's mess

>mess

>lounge

>Engineering

Any simple 15mm modern/cold war wargame at platoon level that uses FoW style squad bases rather than individual models?

I know there's Team Yankee, etc., but I find them to be way too vehicle based.

>infirmary

>engine room

>engine room

Perhaps Cold War Commander?

mega.nz/#!jwcXSY6Y!_jMaHQU9JEnPvrNp54ZOtF5SdQnp8aNb9o4nmUOMCFk
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/26474/cold-war-commander

Battlegroup will have a modern supplement that can accomodate FoW styled basing.

I'll knock it off with the dump now, I just thought these pictures were pretty neat, given that you don't usually see a whole bunch of interior shots from ships that are lying at the bottom of the ocean, much less from the losing side.

FFT3 works in 15mm. It's recommended at 6mm, but does suggest 15mm as a perfectly good scale - IIRC it even lists some 15mm manufacturers as sources for miniatures.

Thought that was out already, saw it being played a couple years ago. Or feels like it anyway.

Nah it's just in the pipeline. Plenty of people have made their own homebrews for it though.

>I'm just not too happy that I didn't play enough to justify the price of the books I got for v1.
Its going to be GW all over again user. endless new versions, endless new army lists, each more broken than the last

Mark my words

Oh please... How long did it take them to release version 2? 3 years? 4? How many books are obsolete now? 0! How many new faction books did they announce for the new version? 1.

Take your tinfoil hat off and enjoy the game, or play something else.

>It is really something to have historic battlefields in shortish walking distance

Whilst not necessarily walking distance, us Hampshire anons are certainly not lacking in battlefields either.

But then it's the UK, if you're not within a dozen miles of some battle site you really are in the middle of fucking nowhere.

oh, I dont actually play BA. 5 years is about average for new versions with GW. As long as BA dont "update" faction books, they should be safe. New products is how you make profits as a wargame publisher though so I wouldn't be surprised if this happens.

>How many books are obsolete now? 0!

New Armies of Germany comes out pretty soon.

Which ones?

And now don't say the Rulebook, because thats kinda obvious.

>And now don't say the Rulebook, because thats kinda obvious.
The fucking rulebook for one, Armies of Germany as a close second - not sure if it was already released, they said that they'll release the two together. And why shouldn't I say the rulebook? It's a book that's obsolete, so not zero books became "old edition".

>there were guys with bases smaller than 1" in preparation for the V2 templates

This is possibly the most pathetic thing I've ever read.

And yes, I know where I am.

Honestly, i don't care about the rulebook. I never onwed it thanks to the pdfs in the OP. Neither should you.

They gave out the V2 book for free (kinda, since you got a box of plastics with it which costs the same) so i "bought" it at a place that gave me 20% off on top of it.

The german book is not obsolete at this point and there are several month until the new one will be released.
Besides, a updated Armies of Germany was needed.

>I never onwed it thanks to the pdfs in the OP.
Then your argument is pretty much invalid on the matter if you just pirate them.

Guy I know is rebasing to 25mm because 20mm bases that he was on (played Russians with big units and bases didn't matter before) are apparently a disadvantage with templates because the unit can't spread out as much.

Not sure myself because I've not seen the exact mechanics for them yet. Not gonna complain about a guy standardising his army with the rest of us though since it matters now.

>Guy I know is rebasing to 25mm because 20mm bases that he was on
Most of my 1:72 minis barely fit on roughly 23mm washers - how the hell did he fit his troops on 20mm bases?

Tell him to stop.

You always have to assume that the mini is based on 25mm, no matter how the base actually looks for calculating the distance.

Why wouldn't you just measure to the center? Then the diameter doesn't matter.

Game aimed at tourney play means it is easier to resolve disputes when you can easily measure from edge to edge than from a nebulous "center."

>instead measure from an imaginary 25mm edge to another imaginary 25mm edge
can't see there being ANY disputes here.