/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Poison counters edition! (Bonus points if the cards don't use Infect or Poisonous.)

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Neat little bit of synergy.

I'll post some of the less controversial things in the set while i try and figure out if and how i want to change things.

>mixing -1/-1 and +1/+1 counters
>pic related is me

It's a shame, I know. The mechanics work so well together.

Next on the topic of Poison and cards WotC would never print.

So, a bad Night's Whisper?

Think this through. It replaces your next draw, so one of those cards is something you were already just about to draw. What this actually reads is "Wait a while, then draw 2 cards and lose 3 life".

In summary, see

It has the very small niche of letting you be hellbent before drawing, but that's entirely not worth it.

Really should put If not when into the OP.

Fixed. Please excuse my idiocy.

I'd also question whether spending 4 mana to get an extra card is worth it.

Technically it's an investigate engine so its a bit more than just one extra card

IT'S

I could've said it better yes. Still really inefficient in terms of mana to card's drawn.

Hmm. Investigating three times on the replacement effect would be excessive, though, wouldn't it?

Any thoughts on using this "Mana, Discard two: Recur this" ability as essentially a replacement for Regeneration? If Wizards doesn't make an alternative shortly, I'm going to use that instead, since it seems like Wizards really has it in for Regen now.

They're replacing regenerate with gains-indestructible-until-end-of-turn, according to MaRo.

Hmm, seems that way. Man, it's going to take a while for me to separate the new flavor in my head though, Indie just isn't the same as Regen. Probably not going to use it as I would Regen either. Oh well.

"High Noon" is the only fair equip-aura here.

Everything else is so over-powered here that it makes Kaladesh seem balanced and unbroken by comparison.

This is a equipment aura, right ?

That you have to pay to crack them all after the fact to get cards should be ok actually. Other option is to give you a bit more oomph upfront somehow.

what...

newanon here. gonna post the sets artifacts. most are pretty tame.

How exactly should I word eternity conductor so it works with lands?

fucking

I think to make the conductor work with lands all you need is to swap out "Cast" for "Play."

Why do people enable drop shadows for mana symbols in text boxes? It looks like shit, and it makes them hard to read at small sizes.

>No.1
Tracking this sort of thing is annoying.
>No.2
Sacrifice needs to be part of the cost if you want to activate only once. Also should be draw a card, then discard a card, the order matters.
>No.4
Flash goes on its own line.
>No.5
You put, or create when kaladesh goes live, tokens. Also needs to state what it comes in blocking. Should also be 'Activate this ability onlu if ~ is blocking.' I believe.
>No. 6
1, Q: is how that should be formatted. Also has an extra line and no period on the enter tapped line. Is also too strong for that mana cost.
>No.8
Doesn't need the 'the' in end of turn.
>Eternity Conductor
Play is what allows you to use lands. Also should be top three not 3.

hm, I personally didn't think it looked too bad, that's why i changed it. I didin't think about it having reading problems though, good call.

awesome, thank you.
>No. 1
it was easier before it was just 1 equip for +1/+0 and life link but i thought it'd be too similar to sylvok lifestaff.
>No 2
I had to think it over for a minute because i put it in that order, then i realized the way I wrote it made it so that when you activate you do both at the same time. will fix.

>No 5
gotcha, will change.

thanks a bunch.

oh right, about the 1, Q.
for some reason the Program doesn't like it when i format it like that. it just automatically rearranges it when I type it out.

Are you putting the space after the comma?.

oh shit it worked.

Thanks a million.

Pretty solid body for something that's likely to kill an opponent's creature when it enters.

Why bother making it hybrid then?

I know it's dealing damage but it still feels a lot more black than red.

In fact I think blockbuster is the only red card in all of mtg that refers to red dealing damage specifically to tapped creatures and it's more of a boardwipe.

because... you can cast it without all red mana for the normal effect?

more specifically you can cast it with all blue mana

You planning on doing more things with Aim Counters?

Yes, and?

Would this actually see play?

Blergh. Still trying to balance this one out.

Are you married to 10 mana? Because I think that's gonna make it real hard for you to come up with something exciting and playable.

Chinese set guy again, what do you guys think of this legendary creature draconic cycle? These will be most of the dragons in the set, simply because being an Asian Themed set makes it hard to distance itself from the Khans and Dragons Blocks.

Not a fan of CMC 3 dragons.

The card I want to pair it with is going to be huge, so yeah. I realize this things are impractical outside of Commander, but I am kinda married to their mechanics. Or at least the basic "revive everything you have" and "kill everything your opponents have"

I figured the relatively larger color commitment required brought them more in line.

Dragons are supposed to be BIG. You'll notice they only very rarely even dip down into CMC 4. They way cards "feel" is very important and CMC 3 dragons don't feel correct.

Note that it was a "Big Deal" that a Dragon was printed in common in FRF, other than Dragon Hatchling.

New versions.

Do you think they'd be better off costed like "1RRR, P/T 4/3" for the red dragon?

I like these a lot better, seem like genuinely fine cards, however with no upsides for the player who played it, maybe you might want to lower the cost, or possibly tip the scales a tiny bit in the casters direction

Even bigger.

For reference.

There /are/ smaller dragons, but those are mostly babies or associated with some sort of downside. If you're going legendary, these dragons gotta be huge.

It's part of a set I'm trying to design where color allegiance matters. Some cards tilt one way or another, but are torn.

Lifegain only for you, lifeloss only for opponents? I was toying with the idea of having them interact with each other, maybe one has a bonus if you cast the other one, but I never really planned on actually using it.

bumping with older shit

Unfortunately, I can't figure out a more elegant way to do this while achieving the same intended effect. Still, even though it's wordy, it's still a pretty simple effect anyway.

>T, Remove all pendulum counters from ~: Add W or U to your mana pool.

But then it doesn't work the same way as it's intended to work. Did you even read the post at all?

Yes, but after I saw your garbage mechanic, I really couldn't be bothered with saving it.

It shouldn't be generating color mana for 2 on the turn you drop it anyways

T: Add U to your mana pool. Put a pendulum counter on ~. Activate this ability only if there are no pendulum counters on ~.
Remove a pendulum counter, T: Add W to your mana pool.

That works, right?

Signits, Talismans, Felwar Stone and even Pentad Prism since charge counters are child's play to generate.

That would and that is one way I was thinking about it. I really wanted the counter to be placed AND removed during upkeep so even with untap tricks, it only made 1 color at a time. That was a holdover that I think I'll have to scrap, just accept that the original concept is too clunky and use the cleaner solution.

>At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ has no time counters on it, put a time counter on it. Otherwise, remove all time counters from it.
>T: Add W to your mana pool. If ~ has a time counter on it, add U to your mana pool instead.

Using a smaller character count seems fair too. Was thinking of just resorting to making it a DFC instead, but either one of all of these would work perfectly as well.

Those are older cards though. WotC doesn't seem to want to print such efficient rocks anymore.

How broken would this mechanic actually be?

It'd be EDH only pretty much.

Second draft of my set's blue rares, ready to go. Feedback appreciated, as always!

Why does Ancient Sentinel only have 1 power?

Because its Prowess+ ability triggers from any spell cast by any player, which makes it pretty easy to buff up. My thought was that a low power would help to balance that.

Your opponent controls when he casts his spells to make it as disadvantageous to you as possible.
Ancient Sentinel as is, is less threatening than Riverwheel Aerialists.

It's pretty difficult for an opponent to avoid casting spells, but waiting until after combat would make the ability relatively useless. You make a good point. How does 3/4 grab you?

You could bump it higher than that, by the time you hit 6 mana, you should be running low on available spells so you won't be getting the value you otherwise would.

Even making it a strictly better Mahamoti Djinn would probably be fine.

The conditional hexproof makes me wary of making it too much more powerful. I think your earlier comparison to Riverwheel Aerialists was good; if I were to make it strictly better than a card, that would be the one. Prowess+ and conditional hexproof on a 4/5 body for 5U feels about as far as I'd want to push it.

You need some power on it to make the hexproof viable, if you have to cast spells to buff it to get value out of it, you'll open it up to removal.

I would say that 4 power is some power, user.

New create wording has really helped save space here.

Self-Replicating Control Magic is something I'd put in the 6cmc range. Cool card, though.

Alright, 6 CMC then. How about this?

Ugh, just realized I forgot to update the wording. It's fixed now though.

I think it's fine. It has a very specific trigger condition, and it lacks any form of protection.

Cool, thanks. Here's the last of my Starro cards.

I think this might read better if the two taxes were choices in a modal "choose one or both" spell.

Searched on the site and via Google, found nothing. Has anyone made Kaladesh energy symbols for MSE?

Also, I can't think of a gemstone for a Mox.

>I think this might read better if the two taxes were choices in a modal "choose one or both" spell.
The problem then is impact. The effect isn't worth much more than one mana, and separating out the effects makes each less impactful and effectively doubles the cost of the card.
>Conqueror
This seems fine as well. I like the organic rate of growth it has, the slow-and-steady mount that gets quicker and quicker as you get out more Starfish.

Last one for tonight, just a reprint, though trying to decide between two different flavor texts. CO-lore: Bruce Wayne has arrived too late to save his adopted son, Jason Todd, and has found his dead body. The quote, for each card, comes much later when Bruce thinks back on it.

I doubt someone will make any energy symbols for MSE before it gets sent out and people scan the cards.

Not sure what you mean with impact, but OK.

>Conqueror
Cool, thanks.

>scan the cards
we have perfect pictures of the symbols fag.

And yet we don't have energy symbols in MSE.

>Not sure what you mean with impact, but OK.
The power of the effect versus the cost of the card. Silence is a one mana card. Making worse silence, splitting its effects into separate sections, and charging mana for each results in a card that doesn't do much at all for the mana you're putting into it, even at the minimum 2cmc.