Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Fuck haters edition

Friendly reminder to tell us what 3pp your game allows if you need character building help.

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq (embed)

Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warriors playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1dX4UYdtwTQKhY71Q45IHLtcu193zq1ZO5jHQ5_PnTl8/edit

Bloodforge: Infusions playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit

Legendary Vigilantes playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit

DSP's Forrest started a patreon for her own 3pp company: patreon.com/forrestfirestudios

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit
myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=542690
myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=372783
myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=372219
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I think, I'll repost DLegacy for this new thread

Can a "cute" kitsune girl still be "cute" if she wears lipstick?

Gareth, Malefex are like streetbrawlers and gangbangers, yea?

What about a "Gang Turf" Knock or a 'Gang Colors' Knock that grants the malefex and his crew certain renown or infamy in an area or city for various benefits?

I hate you, just so you know. I hate how your rampant shitposting has forever locked me out of a concept I want to play.

>Try Mote instead.

What is Mote? Google is giving me some weird results

I'm gonna toss down the Malefex playtest link again, then hit bed because I shoulda been in bed hours ago:

docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit

Recent changes:

> Added an initiative bonus to Mean Streets Education
> Deleted Street Rat for the time being
> Gobsmack (Ex): The malefex gains Catch Off-Guard and Throw Anything as bonus feats. The first time in each encounter that the malefex summons a given penny (see the bad penny knock), she treats opponents she attacks with it as flat-footed until the end of her turn. This knock may be selected a second time if the malefex is sixth level or higher; if it is, she gains Improvised Weapon Mastery as a bonus feat (she does not need to meet the prerequisites for this feat) and deals additional damage equal to her class level against flat-footed creatures, as well as creatures she hits with her attacks of opportunity.

They can be, yeah. You thinkin', like, model it after Vigilante renown? Could be pretty interesting, let folks get that 'roots in the community' feeling either as heroes or gangsters.

Gonna be making a firearms user in an upcoming game. Anyone have Gunslingers of Porphyra knocking around and be willing to post either the pdf or the sections on gun mods and materials?

Yeah, kinda like that.
I'm not really good with homebrewing but kinda like this:

If the Malefex and his crew choose to be heroes of the streets, they could earn Renown which makes them more respected by the community and get bonuses from that such as free services, a bonus to gathering information, etc.

If they choose to be gangsters, they could earn Infamy which makes them more feared by the community and they receive bonuses like bribes from their protection racket, access to blackmarket connections, etc.

thats already additional mechanics on its own. Just tie both renown and infamy and have both provide the same kinds of benefits.

If someone released their own 3.X variant at this point with a scale similar to Pathfinder when it came out would anyone be interested still?

I'm not planning anything of the sort if that is where you're jumping to. I was having a discussion about this with some of my friends and I was curious what /pfg/ thinks about it.

Hey Gareth, why not grant the Malefex a few selections of Vigilante Talents as well?

I'm completely new to Pathfinder, and am joining a game in the near future. I'm 50/50 on either making a Catfolk Rogue, or an Elf Wizard. Any tips on making a Catfolk Rogue, books I should read asap, things to avoid... For example, I'm intrigued by the possibility of using natural weapons (racial feat: Black Cat, and Sharp Claws) for attacking, but from what I've read online, people usually discourage it.

What I'm looking for in a Rogue is the ability to do all kinds of things (UMD, I've played enough Neverwinter Nights to know how cool that is, Skill-Monkeying), relying on all sorts of tricks to get things done instead of brute force (sneak attacks, and stealth in general, to use in combat, instead of just charging in and swinging at stuff). What prestige classes should I look at if I want more tricks in general (both directly and indirectly in combat, and out of combat)? Raw power holds little interest to me.

>I'm 50/50 on either making a Catfolk Rogue, or an Elf Wizard

why not make an Eldritch Scoundrel? Its a rogue archetype that combines the Rogue and the Wizard into one class.

Okay, you want a skillmonkey with a lot of party utility? Great. Use the Unchained Rogue. The Eldritch Scoundrel archetype is a good choice for what you want to achieve.
Get some crafting feats so that you can have a good selection of wands and scrolls you can pull out for some handy situational scenarios like flight, invisibility, etc.

Don't bother with prestige classes. Most of the ones Paizo makes are shit.

Natural Attacks are bad because they don't scale effectively at higher levels. When enemies have high AC, Damage Reduction, Incorporeal, and all kinda of defenses, claws just don't cut it.

>claws just don't cut it
I see what you just did there

> Net
> Benefit: When you throw a net, you make a ranged touch attack against your target. A net's maximum range is 10 feet. If you hit, the target is entangled.
> An entangled creature can escape with a DC 20 Escape Artist check (a full-round action). The net has 5 hit points and can be burst with a DC 25 Strength check (also a full-round action). A net is useful only against creatures within one size category of you.

That words about "5 hit points" - how can it be used? Can entangled creature destroy that net? Can friend of entangled creature destroy that net? If yes, what rules should be used?

Monk guy about to go mythic from the other thread. Gonna go Trickster, the path ability of picking others paths is too fucking good, thinking on picking first Enduring Armor from Archmage, Deadly Dodge and then Fleet Warrior in this order

Any other recommendation?

You can only pick a Path ability once unless it says otherwise. You cannot take Path Dabbling more than once.

Really? fuck. Sorry, this is my first time reading anything from mythic adventures. Damn, such disappointment, go figure it was too good to be true.

>Can entangled creature destroy that net? Can friend of entangled creature destroy that net? If yes, what rules should be used?

Yes to both. It's a Sunder maneuver vs. the object's AC. A net is inanimate (-2 AC) has a dexterity of 0 (-5 AC) and, assuming it's meant to cover a medium sized creature, is medium sized itself, and so has a +0 size bonus. So a net has 3 AC and 5 HP. Bludgeoning weapons won't work on it, though, you have to cut your way out. Ultimately, a net is still a pretty okay way to make people waste an action.

There's a feat that essentially gives you two paths, pick Champion and Archmage

I haven't been keeping up with the discussion on this so I apologize in advance if some of this has been brought up before.

Class just seems like a fantastic dip at the minute. I don't know if your stance is allow that or disallow that but the benefits reaped from 1 level far outweigh the loss of a bab. This is dipping in regards to martial classes mind you. The whole thing turns into a much sweeter deal if you're using the dip with cursed razor maneuvers.
I think the reverse also applies, Wrack and Touch of the Witch are a match made in heaven.
Speaking of dips, dropping in to grab know it all seems great for skills.
Also they get rogue talents a level earlier than actual rogues do (just an observation I don't think that's particularly spectacular but I imagine if this ever showed up along with a rogue that rogue would be a little upset)
Cheapshot is kind of amazing for something you can just grab from level 1 of this class. I really can't overstate how good Cheapshot is.

If you wanted to tone all that down a little. I'd make the stuff that scales of wis cap at Malefex level so that a level 1 Malefex is only adding 1 wis but you'll very quickly have your level exceed your wis mod and it wouldn't be such a significant power boost from a casual dip.
I'm interested in why Know-it-all scales with character level and not Malefex level?
I'd move up rogue talents to level 2 min and also move up cheapshot to something much higher than it is. I can't tell you exactly where, my gut feeling is level 6.

Thanks.
Can't find anything that would allow character to sunder an item on himself. If it is possible, where should I look for the rules?

Also, on combat manuvers:
> If your attack roll equals or exceeds the CMD of the target, your maneuver is a success and has the listed effect.
Shouldn't I target my friends CMD instead of net's AC? If no, why?

Trickster is shit if you aren't a rogue or a bard

Smashing an Object

Smashing a weapon or shield with a slashing or bludgeoning weapon is accomplished with the sunder combat maneuver. Smashing an object is like sundering a weapon or shield, except that your combat maneuver check is opposed by the object's AC. Generally, you can smash an object only with a bludgeoning or slashing weapon.

But is net "worn" or not?

myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=542690

myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=372783

Which would you rather have in your game? Maybe both?

I don't know. Is your ally trying to avoid your sunder attempts or not?

Good catch. Thanks.

Can we please stop doing this? There is literally no reason to keep digging up people's games and characters just to shit on them.

Bonus round for shit kitsune:

myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=372219

What's the concept, user?

Thread is kill

no bullying allowed

jesus christ you need to stop. compared to most players that kitsune is fine.

Yeah, I realized that will probably be the best approach as it seems those two paths have the path abilities I like the most.

What are three (3) things that you would change about Wrath of the Righteous to make it a significantly better AP?

1) More
2) waif
3)us

>Implying Arueshalae can't be shared by the entire party

Shapeshifting means everyone gets something different!

Reminder that the best waifu is a similar-aged human female with fair skin and a good adventurer, wears regular clothes, and gets to treasures before you do

Just leave it
I mean this in let bygones be bygones sort of way

Well, at the very least, we could do what plenty of people already do and make a certain encounter more "Will you help, brave heroes?" and less "Super Deity Trivia: Hearing Loss Edition".

Thrashing dragon or primal fury for my warlords focus? TWF meme or power attacks all day?

It's PF. If you can't cast spells - go for two-handed weapons.

Power attacks all day long. Go Primal Fury and just crush anything and everything in your way. It's so much more satisfying to just rip people up than it is to spend several levels being useless with two weapons to eventually become a decent blender.

1. Make the enemies an actual challenge.
2. Ban Wild Arcana and Inspired spell
3. Fix trumpets (different groups will require different fixes
4. As with all APs, adapt it to your group. Don't try to just run it as written. Don't lock Radiance (the superweapon) to a paladin, if the group has a Good warrior, let them have the holy weapon.

Alright, last question. Is piercing thunder worth it as well, or nah? Assuming I use a spear. If not, what are the best back up disciplines for Fury?

Based on that gif, I think thrashing dragon will work best if you want to double team the enemy with two large bludgeoning objects.

And now I just realized dual-wielding maces sounds pretty cool.

Piercing Thunder seems a bit underwhelming untili very high levels. I'd recommend Riven Hourglass

I understand what they were doing.
Deities need to be difficult to work with or they are just become super quest givers

I think what you should do is a planner (like in pic). Write your levels from 1 to X, where X is your expected end of the game (or 20). And decide what maneuver at what level you'd like to take.Compare them, select what suits you best and that's all.

Warlords don't get access to Riven hourglass though, right?

I suppose that's probably the smartest idea.

They don't get Piercing Thunder either, but it's entirely possible to get access to new disciplines. You could ask your GM to swap one of them out or just take a trait for it.

according to the SRD Warlords do get Mithral current or piercing thunder depending on their choice, though.

Yo Jolly dunno when you'll catch this but, the more I look at Vital Magic, the more confused I get. If the point is to give a magus a way to use vital strike, why is it a vigilante talent and not a feat? If it's just the Scholarly Tactician, then... Well okay, seems pdd but sure. Why tie it spell combat and not, say, make it a special, combined action with Spellstrike (IE "when making your free melee attack via spellstrike, you may make the attack as though using vital strike" or something) instead though?

As a GM, how can you narrow the gulf between high-tier and low-tier PCs? Is it true that the more encounters there are in a day, the more low-tier characters get to shine? What are some good ways to discourage 15-minute work days?

>that kitsune is fine

No she's not, she's a Mary Sue with no flaws and a "give me free bonuses for my backstory because I used to be a demigod of the evulz!" backstory.

Why would you allow that?

no generic advice. give us your party comp

What does /pfg/ think of the Kineticist? I'm playing a hydrokineticist in an upcoming campaign and I'd love some input.

Speaking purely hypothetical. But say I banned Tier I and whatever tier the fighter is at (I think he's in his own Tier 4.5 or something?)

It's not too bad if you build it properly, but it is a little underwhelming otherwise.

Opinion on the Kineticist is poor, largely because so many of its powers require Burn to work.

What should I take? We're starting at second level, right now I've got the power that gives you grease at will, and I'm using cold energy blasts. Our group may or may not end up with a dedicated healer so I may have to grab kinetic healing. Is it any good? It seems kinda bad.

Actually, kinetic healing is rather good in my book. Burn is nonlethal damage, while you're healing lethal damage. Plus, you can force the target to take the burn, and the target is not likely to have a burn cap like you do.Sure, conventional magic healing is probably better, but kinetic healing is at least viable.

It's a Tier 5 class, so be prepared to suck ass. Ironically though everyone will probably be screaming about how OP your character is, even as you manage to put out 1/3rd to 1/2 the damage that a fighter does.

>character is competent at a job
>"das ohpee i'm bannin' dat shit"
fuck people like that

>kinetic healer
>good
Son, the fact that your allies don't have a burn cap is a BAD thing. Kinetic Healer heals slightly more than a cure spell cast by an equal-level Cleric on the first use. If you use it three times on the same person, your healing is significantly reduced to the point that the nonlethal damage is greater than the healing recieved. If you keep healing them despite their lack of a burn cap, you will kill your allies through nonlethal damage.

It's why Kinetic Chirurgeon was possibly the worst archetype on release, and that's including the Overwhelming Soul. It focuses on one of the worst abilities that the Kineticist has and doesn't buff it anywhere near enough to make it worth making a character around it over just buying a fucking wand of CLW.

I'm making an early man (iron age), low magic campaign with a home brew survival system. The emphasis on provisioning food is a major point in the campaign since large farms are not yet a thing. I also am putting large beasts as a major problem because they outnumber man. The bbeg is going to be one of the first mages in the world seeking to become the worlds first lich, and trade only exists in the form of barter.

I'm starting lose my creativity here. I feel like there's still more to explore with this kind of setting, anyone else have any ideas on things I can include in this kind of setting?

What virtual tabletop do you guys use if any? Trying to decide on Fantasy Grounds or D20. I have Tabletop Simulator but it's a pain in the ass to get everything right.

I once played an aether kineticist (because the GM banned 3pp), I think out of 5 encounters, I only hit an enemy three times out of 20 (and I wasn't even rolling that badly), and those few times I did hit, the damage was insignificant. So yeah, never playing a 1pp kineticist again.

Can a kitsune wear lipstick and still be cute?

Would the problems with burn be mitigated with high CON and max HP? Our GM's houseruled that we're not rolling for HP, we're just taking the maximum possible for our class levels, so I have 24 HP at second level.

Not really, no. The best upping your HP can do is give you a few more daily uses--which do not scale up, because burn scales as fast as your HP does.

>kinetic healing is good

Why not just use a wand of cure light wounds? I mean, if you're in a situation where a player has to be healed in the middle of a fight or else they'll die, kinetic healing is better than nothing, but I wouldn't call it "good."

Make a day last 5 sessions

Lipstick is not cute.

Lipstick is sexy, attractive, hot, lovely, and any other "yo I want to be with that" descriptor I didn't bother to write.

But it's not cute, which is a completely different quality.

Enjoy your dead martials.

I do. Dead martials are my favorite kind of martials.

But what about lipstick on a cute kitsune?

How so? Most martials can function indefinitely as long as they get healing between encounters.

I've been playing the sole martial in a 20 PB campaign (a bog-standard Slayer with an axe) and I've *never* ran into an issue where my character just had to stop for the rest of the day.

I *did* say that many of the alternatives were better. Reason I don't use wands of cure is that my GM simply doesn't have shopkeepers, or anyone really, carry wands. I think he just forgets they exist when he sees other magic items. So we never end up acquiring any and consequently factor them out of our evaluation of powers.

Then it's a cute, sexy Kitsune.

Lipstick does not modify a person's cuteness, it modifies your attractiveness.

He means that the martials have to quit when the casters have to quit specifically because of the lack of healing.

That's what wands are for.

>Unless they can get healing between encounters
I see two possible outcomes: either the healers run out of spells over the course of 5 sessions, in which case that's a lot of cash being spent on healing items for martials (who, might I remind you, are already very costly with their reliance on magic items), OR, your healers will never cast a spell for fear they might need it later, and your martials will die.

All that really does is make wands and scrolls far more important. Which isn't really a bad thing. If your GM is an ass and refuses to let you GET those wands and scrolls? Well you'd be fucked either way so rip.

My group kinda does this, but the multi-session adventuring days frustrate me more than they should because the two actual spellcasters always complain about running out of spells... When my alchemist is sitting there with all his extracts and healing items intact, because they refuse to let him just heal them, and insist on spending their spells/day on casting cure light wounds on themselves, instead of on the stuff they need to cast to win fights. I have all these fucking extracts sitting here and you dumbasses refuse to use them LET ME DO MY JOB GOD DAMN.

Spell support being more relevant than healing.

If the encounters are so weak that the weaker half of your party can get through them with fundamentally no support from the other half, chances are the players will realize they're being coddled.

If the encounters are ones that would challenge the whole party even with spells, then the martials just fail and die.

>Here is some more information in regard to how Deific Obedience is enhanced by this book (Divine Anthology):

Diverse Obedience feat: Requires at least 5th level for skill requirement. Boons are received at 10th, 14th, and 18th levels and may be freely selected from among all three types.

Divine Champion (Warpriest archetype): Gains Deific Obedience as bonus feat at 3rd level and receives boons from Sentinel rather than Exalted list.

Divine Paragon (Cleric archetype): Gains Deific Obedience as a bonus feat at 1st level and receives boons at 5th, 11th, and 14th levels. Each boon may be chosen from any of the three types.

All of these options require an exact alignment with your deity.

I mean, that'd be fine, but I'd probably pay more attention to the fluff.

>not using strain/injury systems over hp
your fault

Or maybe it's because the martials are competently built and doing their job effectively? You're really making it sound like martials should be ineffectual idiots until the caster decides to give them a boost.

But doesn't being sexy (like wearing lipstick) detract from being cute?

>The system's not broken, just houserule it
When will this meme die?

I can't tell if this is bait being replied to or just one autiste replying to himself, and it's not better whichever one it is.

That's fair, changed it to a feat again, you can do it with vital strike or iaijutsu slash. 90% of characters won't care about the second, but hey, let it never be said I don't try to help gestalt games.

It does!

Competent or no, martials alone can't carry a party. Hell, if you're playing a lower level game, then casters alone can't carry a party either.

dude
fucking
people have made fortunes selling houserules to the people
where do you think you are